Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #571
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

It's My Bag!

Sunday September 25 – Debarkation Day

After a good night’s rest we awoke sad to see this outside of our balcony:

We had elected for traditional debarkation. We were given a choice earlier in the week of “Before 830 AM” or “After 8:30 AM”. We chose before 8:30. Come to find out our awesome stateroom host, Anthony gave us luggage tags with #1 on them! So basically we were free to leave the ship as soon as debarkation began, or whenever we wanted thereafter. That was pretty awesome, because as much as I love being on the ship, we loathe having to get off of it and want to do so as soon as humanly possible.

Once we had all awaken and dressed, we gathered our carry-on luggage and prepared to evacuate our stateroom. Apparently we should have chosen an “After 8:30” debarkation, however because cleaning teams were knocking on our door to get us out, and when we left the room we were surprised to see we were pretty much the last ones left in the area. It was still early (around 8AM- which is early to me!)

We headed across the pool deck and up the stairs to Windjammer.
A sad and lonely Beach pool:

We feared Park and Promenade café’s would be too busy, and although we knew to expect mayhem in the WJ- it was even busier than we thought it would be. We started at the Starboard entrance and began looking for a table, counter, corner- pretty much anywhere we could get our eat on. Nothing. And I mean not a single table to be found. It was PACKED. When we finally would spot one open up, others would run- literally bum rush the table and beat us to it. This happened 2 or 3 times through the restaurant.

Finally- way over on the far Port side we found an empty table. It was too good to be true though, because it turns out it was occupied- by a purse in one of the 6 chairs. Ron and I both looked around at nearby tables- up to the buffet- wondering who in the world was trying to hold a huge table with one little purse. We thought maybe it was a solo cruiser so we patiently waited a few minutes for the person or persons to come and claim their table- or at least the purse….and nobody did.

Eventually after waiting a few minutes I said “Well, we’ll just join this purse for breakfast then” I had a seat while the older kids and Ron hit the buffet then I took my turn. Still nobody had come by.

The bag was enjoying it’s time in the Windjammer….I guess….

We ate- took our time- and finally- FINALLY as we finished up- I am talking 15-20 minutes after we arrived a lady walks up, exclaims loudly in heavily accented English “It's MY BAG!” , snatches it up and walks back to join her large party of 8 or so people. We didn’t get a chance to say a word to her. Unbelievable that she would just leave a purse sitting at a table in a crowded restaurant while she obviously went elsewhere on the ship to retrieve the rest of her huge group.

After that rather amusing exchange, we headed down to the Promenade to exit the ship. There are two wide queues- one forward and one aft. As soon as we approached the front of the line though- it was closed off and we had to wait for the luggage and customs area in the terminal to clear out. That took about 10-15 minutes, and once the queues were re-opened, we were swiped “off” the ship and we headed down the gangway and into the terminal. Porters were waiting and we immediately grabbed one, who took us directly to the number “1” luggage area- which seemed to be about as far away as possible. Once we retrieved our luggage, our porter steered us into a very, very, VERY long line of cruisers moving towards customs. The line was huge- but it was moving steadily. Even so, many people were breaking out of it and sneaking over and under the queue “lines” trying to cut to the front, but as soon as a staff member saw them, they would get curtly directed to the back of the line.

Really the line only took about 5-10 minutes to move through- not bad at all.

Another 5 minutes in the customs line itself- and a couple more with the customs agent- may I add- the NICEST customs agent we have ever encountered, and we were brought right out to the waiting Park N Go shuttle bus, a few feet from the terminal.

The luggage was loaded and in minutes we were speeding off to the Park N Go lot! What an easy debarkation!

Back at Park N Go, we were taken right to our van, our luggage was unloaded, and we headed to check out. At the gate, we presented our coupon, paid our bill and they even gave us each a small bottle of water as we left. We loved the Park N Go and would absolutely use it again.

And so, as we made our way across Alligator Alley and finally back up north towards home, it finally set in that it was over. But, what a lovely cruise it was….

So many of you are probably wondering...well...Who Won? Mickey or Shrek? I wish it were an easy cut and dry thing, but obviously opinions are subjective and they vary greatly even within this family! Allure is an amazing ship and IMO if you enjoy cruising AT ALL you need to give this class of ship a try. It is just unlike anything else.

We do still love DCL though. For now we will rotate every other year...DCL one year, RCCL the next. So both win!

Until next time, my friends…

(If you're curious "Next Time" is September 22, 2012 aboard the DISNEY FANTASY! Woot woot!)

The End!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #572
cyclenut
DIS Veteran

Simply an amazing thread. Disney and RCCL both could learn a few things from your posts. Such a complete Walk through of any vacation aboard a ship has never been written.

I which you much enjoyment on your upcoming Disney Fantasy cruise!

We are sailing soon on the Wonder and I have intentions to write a review here on the DIS that takes an adults only perspective, having just sailed the Freedom. It in now way will rival yours though!

A huge thank you to you. May your family stay healthy and may Savanah continue her dancing. My DD17 will be graduating HS this year and it will bring an end to the competition seasons that helped her grow so much. It all ends too soon it seems. GOOD LUCK to you all, you have a beautiful family!

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstacy to Ensenada - Summer 2004
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas NB Pacific Coast - April 2007
Disney Wonder to Alaska - August 2011
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean - June 2012
Disney Wonder SB Pacific Coast - September 2012
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #573
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

So glad the kids were able to enjoy Rising Tide. That thing is so way cool!

Sorry about the parade. It sounds no different than a park parade...in that I mean the rude people who push and shove to the front. How disappointing. Hopefully being able to meet all the characters earlier in the cruise made it better for the kids to enjoy even without the interaction.

Savory Bites! My niece LOVES them! And Raspberry and Pineapple Soup???? Ok, we did NOT have this on our RCI cruise. Must sail Allure now! And OMG! Chocolate Brownie Sandwiches? Geez, what have I been missing out on???

That is very cool your server is able to see his family during the Jamaica port calls.

Thank you for this wonderful review! I have never had any desire whatsoever to sail the Oasis class, but now must at least give it a try!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #574
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Hi Jen, I loved your trip report and can't wait to read about your upcoming adventure in September! Hope you are having a great summer!!!!

Beth

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12; Southern Caribbean 10/11/14; Repo from San Juan to PC, 10/18/14; Magic in the Med 8/29/15
Disney Dream: Bahamas Birthday 5/19/11; Bahamas Double-Dip 8/16/11
Disney Wonder: Alaska 8/13/12
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #575
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Nice ending Jen! Love the Flash Mob video! I creeped it earlier when I saw the link come up on U-Tube. Looks like so much fun! How sad to wake up and see your starting port - I always hate that. I can pretend we aren't leaving until I see that.

It is strange that lady would just leave her bag there and expect it to still be there 20 minutes later.

Wow - you are right around the corner from your Fantasy cruise!!! Can't wait to see that TR! DBIL wants us to do a DCL with him in 2014 and I am voting for the Fantasy Eastern but they are on the Norweigan Epic in Europe right now - traveling concierge style. Something tells me they will want to re-book and have us go on that one - we'll see!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #576
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

An absolutely fantastic trip report, really, really loved it. Can you come back to this thread when you're ready to do your Fantasy TR and guide us to the new one? Thanks so much!!

Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #577
Brumbie13
Mr. Mickeybars

Thanks for your thoroughness and for enduring to the end with such a long, detail trip report! Thanks for taking the time to bring us along!

Brumbie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #578
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Please post a report for your Fantasy cruise....I'm sailing right after you on 10/6! This was a great report....I have to try the Allure some of these days...I loved the Freedom.

Jill in CO
Old 07-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #579
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

Flash mob looked so fun. And it looks like you packed a lot into your last night. Sucks about the parade though. and please dont feel bad about taking so long LMAO like I have any room to say anything lol.

welp you have me all for an Allure cruise.. now to convince E LMAO... cant wait to hear about the Fantasy trip report! its gonna be here before we know it.. err you know it LOL! thanks for sharing hun!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #580
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Thank you so much for this detailed take on the Allure. Very informative and enjoyable! I hope you write a TR for your Fantasy cruise!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Jennifer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #581
Cheryl726
DIS Veteran

Great TR! Really enjoyed reading it and seeing all your wonderful pics! That must've been awesome to see the Oasis that night. Waking up on debarkation day is the worst-I almost felt your pain seeing those morning pics! And isn't it the best when kids keep in touch after the cruise--my DS still talks to a friend he made on our Dream cruise last summer!

Looking forward to a TR from the Fantasy! Have a great cruise!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #582
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

What a wonderful cruise. I am so glad you shared it with us. Love the flash mob video. That looks so fun.
Have fun on the Fantasy!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #583
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
(If you're curious "Next Time" is September 22, 2012 aboard the DISNEY FANTASY! Woot woot!)

The End!
We are sailing on the Fantasy one month before you, on August 25, 2012. If you have any burning questions, let me know, and I'll get back to you with any answers I can find when we get home.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #584
sunita35
Earning My Ears

I really loved your report!!
sunita35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #585
CSHaydt
Mouseketeer

Awesome

Wow... you absolutely answered every question i had. I started reading your posts at like 3 this afternoon and just ended (almost midnight); ok there were some breaks (food, playing with son, bedtime routine) but... WOW.. This is exactly what i wanted to know cause we just got off the dream in May and were debating between Fantasy for 2014 and RC Allure.

I have to admit i missed your Shrek/Mickey tally you had going on so i started my own and at the end of the end i think we're going to be happier on DCL at least for a few more years while our son is still on the younger side.

I have to admit (and yes i read all your posts about nickle and diming) i'm married to a CPA so those little pay here and there things would drive us CRAZY!!!!!!!!! We don't typically do the specialty restaurants and i do the reservation times in WDW really far in advance - i don't think i want to do them on the cruise too. Also food quality means a lot to us, and it sounds like it's not that great on RC - we did a RC cruise about 8 years ago and we were disappointed in the food back then.

Thanks again for this awesome trip report! It made all the difference to me! Thx. Again!
CSHaydt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allure, cruise, rccl, rci, shrek

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: