Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

High School Class of 2016

I've seen these threads around before and thought I'd start one for those who have kids starting high school this fall. I know there are a lot of us here.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

So, for those who've been through this before, what do us newbs need to know?

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

that's me. DD14 starts HS in less than a month (august 20th). she's thrilled that marching band season has come back around, but not sure she's going to like HS...lol.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
dhcoffey
Home inspections keep the dh busy
I'm looking for all the inspiration I can get!

My youngest DD starts high school august 10. She is terrified even though these are the same kids she's been in school with since kindergarten. I think once the first day is over, she will be fine.

Heather

In memory of Morgan

In honor of Morgan
dhcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Save your homework or any graded work until the report card grades are in stone for the quarter.

Make copies if the teacher seems to "lose" things.

Find out when orientation is, get hair appt for school pic. My dd's pic for the yearbook is on orientation day which is Aug 2nd.

Make sure you write down dates, esp. if they are going to do sports, choir, band, etc... Sometimes you have to audition. Be proactive and call if you are unsure.

Have fun!

My youngest is the class of 2015. Almost done.
The Mystery Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

DS2 will be a freshman. From having an older child, I know it's important to get off to a good start. Don't let them have the attitude "it's just freshman year." Hit the ground running.
padams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

I've got one headed for HS this fall and another is headed off to begin college.

Older DD was just advising her sister last week why she might want some different types of binders/folders this year because you need to keep everything, primarily for the same reason someone stated above about teachers losing things or not recording the grade properly, but also because things like math & foreign language paperwork are needed to refer back to.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Rylee
DIS Veteran

Hi,

Our DS13 will begin high school the day after Labor Day. After completing 8th grade this year, he already has 3 credits.

This isn't my first trip around the block, our 3 DD's have already graduated from college. We also have DS10 entering 6th grade this year.

I'm way too tired to do the math, lol, but I think one of the kids said, from the time the oldest started kindergarten and the youngest graduates from high school, we will have had a child in school for 33 straight years.

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

DD13 is starting in late August, and I am expecting a wild ride with this one. She is an "interesting" child. My head hurts just thinking about it.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

My dd is starting HS in the fall and she is excited and nervous. I admit, I am too. Thanks to those posters who have been through it and have advice for us!
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Save your homework or any graded work until the report card grades are in stone for the quarter.

Make copies if the teacher seems to "lose" things.
Find out when orientation is, get hair appt for school pic. My dd's pic for the yearbook is on orientation day which is Aug 2nd.

Make sure you write down dates, esp. if they are going to do sports, choir, band, etc... Sometimes you have to audition. Be proactive and call if you are unsure.

Have fun!

My youngest is the class of 2015. Almost done.
I agree with all of this especially about teachers losing things. That's very frustrating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams View Post
DS2 will be a freshman. From having an older child, I know it's important to get off to a good start. Don't let them have the attitude "it's just freshman year." Hit the ground running.
I have one who graduated in 2011 and she will tell you the very same thing. I also have one who will be a freshman this year and she is so excited. She is a cheerleader and very involved at the school. This is far different from my oldest who could not have cared less about all of that. They are like day light to dark. I am looking forward to a very good year!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
nmmom95
I'm a pregnant lesbian in an interracial relationship
Or am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
My dd is starting HS in the fall and she is excited and nervous. I admit, I am too. Thanks to those posters who have been through it and have advice for us!
DS14 starts high school on August 30th and feels the same.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
DisneyMissy318
DIS Veteran

I'll join in - my DD (14) starts High School on August 20 - looking forward to hearing from the rest of you!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #14
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Wow, Rylee, 33 straight years!

Well we're off to a good start! I knew there were a lot of us here from previous posts. (So glad Middle School is over! )

I have a daughter and a son starting HS in late August. DD14, like some of the other DDs mentioned here, is excited and nervous. DS hasn't mentioned much.

Good tips already. Will have to pick up some supplies in the next few weeks.

I saw this thread last week that others may have missed re supplies for HS: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=70088

Old 07-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

I have a Class of '16er, too! DD13 will start her freshman year on Aug 27th. She is excited, and a little nervous. We are waiting to hear what classes she got into- will buy supplies once she has her schedule.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: