DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
DeerIsleDisney
Mouseketeer

Studio Breakfast Ideas?

Does anyone have good ideas for breakfasts in a studio for non-cereal eaters? We usually stay in a 1-bedroom and have hot options for breakfast...eggs, oatmeal, pancakes, etc. DD(12) does not like cold cereal. Has anyone found good baked breakfast items from Garden Grocer? Or ideas for making hot foods in the microwave? We'll probably try some lunches in the room as well... so if you've tried creative cooking in the kitchenette, please share your ideas!
OKW - May 2011 Star Wars Weekends
OKW, Treehouse Villa - Dec/Jan 2012
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon - Sep 2012
Princess Half Marathon, Beach Club - Feb 2013
OKW - April 2013
Disney Fantasy/Dolphin - August 2013
Thanksgiving 2013 at OKW
Christmas-New Year's 2013/14 at Boardwalk
DeerIsleDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
Does anyone have good ideas for breakfasts in a studio for non-cereal eaters? We usually stay in a 1-bedroom and have hot options for breakfast...eggs, oatmeal, pancakes, etc. DD(12) does not like cold cereal. Has anyone found good baked breakfast items from Garden Grocer? Or ideas for making hot foods in the microwave? We'll probably try some lunches in the room as well... so if you've tried creative cooking in the kitchenette, please share your ideas!
For our studio stays our plan is to get bagels/cream cheese and frozen waffles/pancakes with bacon (which can all be toasted/microwaved).
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Buy giant cinnamon rolls "to go " at the MK bakery and warm them up in the microwave next AM. It's a tradition that we have to do once a trip
Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Toast an English Muffin, heat up a Jimmy Dean sausage pattie in the microwave for 30 seconds. Lightly butter the muffin from the toaster, add a slice of American Cheese, top with the sausage pattie and the other half of the English Muffin. Voile! Sausage McMuffin.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
sechelt
Mouseketeer

I put eggs in the coffee pot and ran plain water through. I can't remember how long I left them but they turned out the same as hard boiled.
sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
skelooch
DIS Veteran

You can make an egg, cheese, bacon or sausage sandwich.
I do it at home all the time, simply open on egg into a bowl, break the yoke and mix up a little, add a slice of cheese broken up. Microwave for 1 minute, heat up some pre-cooked bacon or sausage. Put it all on a bagel, english muffin, hard roll, or toast.
I've never done it in a paper bowl, but it should work. Or bring a small cereal bowl with you.

2003 Feb-BCV, May-BCV, Oct-BCV++++2004 Feb-BCV, Mar-BCV, May-BCV, Nov-BCV
2005 Mar-BCV,May-BCV, Sep-BCV, Nov-BCV++++2006 Feb-BCV,May-VB,VWL & BCV,Sep-BCV,Nov-BCV
2007 Feb-BCV,May-BCV,May-OKW,Sep-BCV,Nov-OKW++++2008 Feb-BCV, May-OKW, Aug-BCV, Nov-BCV
2009 Feb-BCV, May-BCV, Aug-OKW, Sep-OKW, Nov-BCV++++ 2010 Feb-BLT&OKW, Apr-OKW, May-OKW, Jul-OKW, Sep-BCV, Nov-BCV
2011 Feb-OKW, May- OKW, Aug-AKV, Sep-OKW, Oct-OKW, Nov-OKW
2012 Feb-OKW, May-OKW, Aug-BCV, Sep-OKW, Nov-OKW, Dec-OKW
2013 Jan, Feb, April, May, Jul, Oct, Nov,
skelooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
dgaston
Proudly wears a "Believes in Fairies" t-shirt

And you have the toaster, so if you prefer breakfast sandwiches with bagels, English muffins, bread or thin sandwich breads you're all set. And while we don't eat them, there are whole lines of pop tarts, strudels, and even toaster strudels with eggs in them.

We most often stay in studios, and while we can't buy too much for the tiny freezer space, we've found both Voila and Bertolli frozen meals are quite good. We bring some ziplock or glad containers to help with this cooking. I have one large one in my Owner's Locker.

Don't forget fresh fruit, yogurt, and instant oatmeal too.

We also stock granola and fruit bars, and some microwave popcorn.

HTH

dgaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
DisDaydreamer
I have this DIS-ease

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
I've got this one... Breakfast Sandwich... You need eggs, Canadian bacon, cheese, and english muffins, and some butter.

First dip your finger into the butter and slather around the interior of one of the paper bowls the provided. Scramble up an egg in it (or you can just plop it into the bowl unscrambled). Stick the english muffin halfs into the toaster. Put the egg into the microwave for a minute. Take the muffin halves out and place the bottom half on paper plate, put egg from paper bowl on it. Put ham on it, put cheese on it. Microwave for another 30 seconds. Salt to taste, put top half of muffin on... It really is quite an excellent breakfast sandwich.

Just realized skelooch said just about the same thing. Paper bowls do work fine... done this for years.

DisDaydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
happymommy
DIS Veteran

I was going to say the same thing about microwave scrambled eggs! They turn out nice and fluffy too.

Also, how about ordering some frozen microwave things like pancakes from Garden Grocer? Our grocery store has little bottles of Aunt Jemima syrup for $1 now - just a couple ounces, which is enough (if you check luggage and can double bag it in ziploc bags). I'd also just browse the frozen foods from them for other items that you can heat up quick (I love the weight watchers breakfast sandwiches myself).

Or, like my crazy kiddos, we do non-traditional things like ramen (I know, we're weird).

We also do poptarts, toast, leftovers, fruit, various sandwiches, etc... Basically it's a free for all some mornings for us! I love biscuits and gravy, but eat healthy most of the time, so make instant gravy packets (can do in the microwave) and I guess they may have some sort of biscuit from the bakery or a frozen one at GG? I'm just a sucker for gravy. Also you can get microwave bacon too! Just make sure it's the kind that is already cooked! Your room will smell like bacon for two days otherwise, and you'll blow through a whole roll of paper towels.

For me, a hot pot is my best friend. I've made mac & cheese (the good kind, Kraft Deluxe) in it, ramen, and it's just the best thing. I got mine years ago for about $10 - forget where. I would definitely bring one along!

I don't know if you have a bbq grill where you're staying, but you could grill anything and then have it with chips, salads, instant sides (hot pot again). We grill a lot (but don't own DVC, instead we own Marriott but have stayed at BWV a few times). Definitely grilling opens up more possibilities.

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
bianca
DIS Veteran

When staying in a studio, we cook almost exclusively on our Mickey sandwich maker (although the $10 model from wal-mart works just fine) which is stored in the owners locker. Breakfast is usually an omelet/toast. Just mix up eggs and whatever fixings you want all together (for us it is cheese, diced ham, green pepper and onion)and pour in the sandwich maker. About 3 minutes later breakfast is done. My husband likes these so much that he often requests them at home. You can also make pancakes and french toast in it. We also use the sandwich maker for the obvious sandwiches/pizza. In addition, I always order a tube of brownie batter, as it makes a tasty dessert late at night.
6/78-offsite. And most of the rest at "The Fort" ....... 11/95, 2/97, 11/97, 12/97, 2/98, 11/98, 12/98, 2/99, 11/99, 12/99, 12/2000, 10/2001, 5/2002, 12/2002, 2/2003, 10/2003, 2/2004, 12/2004, 11/2005, 10/2006, 12/2006, 8/2007, 10/2007 (Saratoga), 12/2007, 3/2008 (HHI), 10/2009 (HHI), 11/2009, 10/2010 (OKW), 9/11 (AKV), 10/11 (AKV), 2/12 (BLT), 9/12 (VB), 12/12 (AKV) , 2/13 (AKV) 5/13 (VB), 10/13 (AKV), 1/14 (SSR), 5/14 (Aulani) and 11/14 (AKV)!
bianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #11
MinnieLee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
Buy giant cinnamon rolls "to go " at the MK bakery and warm them up in the microwave next AM. It's a tradition that we have to do once a trip
We do the same thing! Also, have to make a stop at the Patassiere in France for choc. croissants (among other selections!) to pop in the microwave the next morning.

We always stay in a studio and I was impressed with how innovative everyone is with their egg sandwiches and the hard boiled egg! Have to remember these.

MinnieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
sarahk0204
DIS Veteran

You are making me hungry!

We just had breakfast for dinner tonight at home, but we have done that on vacation as well (and in a studio). The frozen waffle package fit in the freezer section, and the meat was refrigerated. If we did eggs, we probably used egg beaters, but a dozen regular eggs would fit in the fridge.

As for other meals in a studio, besides breakfast for dinner, we have also done hot dogs and homemade chili (brought frozen from home because we drive, but you could do canned). We've also done canned soup & sandwiches. A gladware type container is helpful for that. We keep a set of "real" silverware in our OL, and we usually have some smaller gladware containers we use for bowls. With a package of heavy duty paper plates and some napkins, we are set.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahk0204 View Post
..., we have also done hot dogs and homemade chili (brought frozen from home because we drive, but you could do canned). We've also done canned soup & sandwiches. A gladware type container is ....
Ooooh, chili dogs!

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #14
disneydreaming92701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill

Ooooh, chili dogs!
Yes chili dogs are great. So many great ideas.
disneydreaming92701 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: