Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #31
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

We just booked DC for November 11; I'm so excited and have been a total nerd researching everything, LOL

It will just be DH and I... is a cabana worth it? My DH hates the sun; are there other shady spots we can 'claim'? Does it offer any privacy? Do I get my own cabana boy?

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #32
brinkley07
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny3 View Post
We just booked DC for November 11; I'm so excited and have been a total nerd researching everything, LOL

It will just be DH and I... is a cabana worth it? My DH hates the sun; are there other shady spots we can 'claim'? Does it offer any privacy? Do I get my own cabana boy?
A cabana is definitely worth every penny! Each person (not always a cabana boy...lol) does handle several cabanas and we did tip ours at the end of the day because she was so attentive. I loved the fact that we had our locker in our cabana, and a refrigerator as well. They will bring food to the cabana, and there is a table in there if you want to sit there when you snack. We have been at the dolphin lagoon with all of the times we visited, and I love that view. The cabanas are very private, but near everything at the same time. They have great foliage around them that make them seem hidden and private, though they are right in the middle of things. I did prefer having a quiet place to rest versus being on the beach with everyone else when we wanted down time. My hubby did nap well in the lounge chairs!
brinkley07 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #33
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

Decided we're definitely going to go for it

Now I'm just debating whether to suck it up and do the Premium package so we can book now, or take my chances and book one 3 weeks out. I'm not sure if the extra goodies are worth the extra $, so I'm back and forth on that.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #34
bas71873
DIS Veteran

OK. DH really wants to go back to DC this summer so I think we may go and just do the day package and not the dolphin swim since we just did that last summer. We did rent a premium package cabana and loved it (we were on the Grand Reef). Thinking this time we may take our chances and just go with a regular cabana, but I can't tell where they are on the map. Can anyone help. Also, do the regular cabanas (that you can rent 3 weeks out) have a fridge, locker & fan as well?

Also, GINA, I hope you can answer. We are annual BG pass holders (we live just outside Williamsburg) and our passes are up for renewal and I'm considering upgrading to their platinum pass. Is the discount significant for DC with a platinum pass? Right now the NON dolphin swim rate for August is $169, but I wonder if I can get that cheaper?

Portifino Bay - June, 2015; [/COLOR]Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #35
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
OK. DH really wants to go back to DC this summer so I think we may go and just do the day package and not the dolphin swim since we just did that last summer. We did rent a premium package cabana and loved it (we were on the Grand Reef). Thinking this time we may take our chances and just go with a regular cabana, but I can't tell where they are on the map. Can anyone help. Also, do the regular cabanas (that you can rent 3 weeks out) have a fridge, locker & fan as well?

Also, GINA, I hope you can answer. We are annual BG pass holders (we live just outside Williamsburg) and our passes are up for renewal and I'm considering upgrading to their platinum pass. Is the discount significant for DC with a platinum pass? Right now the NON dolphin swim rate for August is $169, but I wonder if I can get that cheaper?
I am pretty sure all of the cabanas have lockers and fridges in them. Last August, we didn't have a premium package cabana (we had the "celebration package + cabana") and we were on the Grand Reef as well .

Discounts for SW park passholders (SW/BG/Aquatica) are far less substantial this year than in years prior. Last August, we were able to secure a non-dolphin swim day for $69 pp. This year, for the same week, it was either $109 pp or $119 (can't remember which....but I know it was one of the two). A savings off the non-passmember price, for sure, but not nearly as good of a deal as before.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #36
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
I am pretty sure all of the cabanas have lockers and fridges in them. Last August, we didn't have a premium package cabana (we had the "celebration package + cabana") and we were on the Grand Reef as well .

Discounts for SW park passholders (SW/BG/Aquatica) are far less substantial this year than in years prior. Last August, we were able to secure a non-dolphin swim day for $69 pp. This year, for the same week, it was either $109 pp or $119 (can't remember which....but I know it was one of the two). A savings off the non-passmember price, for sure, but not nearly as good of a deal as before.
Thanks. Not sure that's worth upgrading my ticket (which is about double the renewal price for our regular BG/WC passes) especially since we probably wouldn't use them for any of the other parks.

We did the celebration package too, but I don't need all that "stuff" this time, KWIM, but we liked being the grand reef because that is where we spent ALL of our time. We didn't care for the other lazy river thing because the water was too warm for us. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

I think I'm going to call and see if there is a rate for JUST the non dolphin swim WITHOUT the included passes for SW & Aquatica. We aren't interested in doing those parks again.

Portifino Bay - June, 2015; [/COLOR]Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #37
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

To update this... we did get the cabana. Totally worth it! We loved having a space just for us; we overlooked the Grand Reef and were pretty private. We renewed our vows there

Oh and we did have a cabana boy! His name was Alex; he was excellent! Very attentive

Old 03-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #38
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
To update this... we did get the cabana. Totally worth it! We loved having a space just for us; we overlooked the Grand Reef and were pretty private. We renewed our vows there

Beautiful pic .

Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Old 03-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #39
mndisneylovinmom
Earning My Ears

A cabana is worth it! We didn't spend a lot of time there, but it was really nice to have a private, shaded place to go when we wanted a break. It's also nice to have a refrigerator and locked locker. We had the cabana right by the dolphin swim. It was beautiful!
I have a question though? Do you think people go in there to take pictures of their families during the dolphin swim? I caught a few people by our cabana, with a camera, looking rather guilty of something! That's the only little complaint I have about having that particular cabana -- should have a locked gate!
But, that's just our feelings!
mndisneylovinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #40
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
Beautiful pic .
Thanks! It was just DH and I, no officiant or anything. Our cabana boy took photos for us.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #41
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That's the day I'm going too!

****** DL Feb/02, DL Feb/07, WDW Nov/13, DCL Nov/13 ******
Next trip WDW October 2015 TOT10 mile here I come!
dizzyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #42
Goofysrus
Mouseketeer

We just booked May 14th!!!!! I think we got a good AP rate but with the rest of our vacation expenses we'll skip the Cabana and see how things go.
Fortunately they're not busy that week so I hope we can find a nice shady spot.

Hope I can post pictures when I get back if I figure out how to do that.....
Thanks again everyone for all your help!
Goofysrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:14 AM   #43
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofysrus View Post
We just booked May 14th!!!!! I think we got a good AP rate but with the rest of our vacation expenses we'll skip the Cabana and see how things go.
Fortunately they're not busy that week so I hope we can find a nice shady spot.

Hope I can post pictures when I get back if I figure out how to do that.....
Thanks again everyone for all your help!
Have a great time!!!!

I am sure you will have no problem finding a shady spot to kick back and relax in. With DC limiting its daily admission to such small numbers of guests, there's always lots of beach chairs open for you to stretch out on . With or without a cabana, you will have an amazing day!

Can't wait to see you pics when you return!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: