Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #1396
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justakrazymom View Post
We visit friends in GA every year. Stay in Pooler..it's just south of Savannah and a wonderful small GA town. Lots of stores, motels and just a great southern feel!
Thanks for this info. We are deciding on where to plan to stop on our next trip (25 days away) and we've decided on Savannah/Pooler area. I think I picked out a Travelodge in Pooler as a possibility.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 07-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #1397
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
Thanks for this info. We are deciding on where to plan to stop on our next trip (25 days away) and we've decided on Savannah/Pooler area. I think I picked out a Travelodge in Pooler as a possibility.
You won't regret it. There is a really nice Walmart Super Center right off the exit along with lots of little places to eat!

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13 ASSp 2015

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR Incomplete
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #1398
sharadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by justakrazymom View Post
You won't regret it. There is a really nice Walmart Super Center right off the exit along with lots of little places to eat!
That's great. We'll probably get there around 9-10 pm so we'll stop earlier to eat, but good to know for the shopping in the morning. Maybe get some groceries on the way.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 07-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #1399
momto3boys+aprincess
2014 Family Time Resolutions Sweepstake Winner!

Driving from Oklahoma

Hi, We will be driving from NW Oklahoma to disney this Nov. This will be our first drive from here. We used to live in NC and drove down every year. It was only a 9 hour drive. This trip is 1300-1400 mile drive one way depending on the route. Has anyone driven from all the way out here?? What route did you take. Also trying to decide do we split it up evenly 10 or so hours a day or do we drive 15 the first and then just 5 the next day. We know that we do not want to drive straight through. I thought flying was a good idea but I was out voted:, as hubby and 5 kids(21,16,13,11,11) wanted to see the sights since we have never been this way before. Any tips, advice or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lisa, who is just glad we get to go, as we have not been since 2009!(serious withdraws)
Old 07-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #1400
WI_DisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3boys+aprincess View Post
Hi, We will be driving from NW Oklahoma to disney this Nov. This will be our first drive from here. We used to live in NC and drove down every year. It was only a 9 hour drive. This trip is 1300-1400 mile drive one way depending on the route. Has anyone driven from all the way out here?? What route did you take. Also trying to decide do we split it up evenly 10 or so hours a day or do we drive 15 the first and then just 5 the next day. We know that we do not want to drive straight through. I thought flying was a good idea but I was out voted:, as hubby and 5 kids(21,16,13,11,11) wanted to see the sights since we have never been this way before. Any tips, advice or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lisa, who is just glad we get to go, as we have not been since 2009!(serious withdraws)
Well, I can't help you with the route, coming from Wisconsin myself. And while I haven't driven yet (my first adventure will be in 7 weeks...), most of the advice I've seen is if you aren't planning on driving straight through, to do the bulk of your driving the first day; because after being on the road for 10 hours, you won't want to do another 10 hours the next day. Plus, I think road fatigue would set in a lot faster the second day. So I think your plan of splitting the drive 15 hours/5 hours seems like the better option to me. (That's my plan, too. Only it is more like a 14/6 split.) Hopefully you can get some route questions answered. Best of luck!

I saw a lion he was standing alone
With a tadpole in a jar
Old 07-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #1401
emksmama
Mouseketeer

Only about 30 hours til departure time!!! I got the bench seat removed from our minivan, shop vac'd it out, and cleaned the dash and windows. Tomorrow we'll take it through the car wash and then let the girls use their window markers to decorate their windows for the trip. So excited!!!

1984 & 1986 with parents, no clue where we stayed but they were both off property
July 2012 Shades of Green 3 generations of FUN
October 20-24, 2014 POP & MNSSHP
Old 07-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #1402
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks
We drive to Disney about 4 times a year (this year we will get 5 drives in), and it is much better to get the larger chunk of the drive on the first day. Not only to help with road fatigue, but also because you get to Disney a lot earlier and get some time to go to a park. If you weren't planning on a park on arrival day, you can enjoy your resort, have a leisurely dinner, maybe hit downtown Disney or do some mini-golf and be rested for a full day the next day.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #1403
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks
I can't help you with the route as we come from MA. But, it is 1346 miles from my house to Pop Century. I agree with the posters who suggest trying to do the longer bit of your journey first.
My 2 rules when driving long distances are: if one person's gotta go - then everyone goes. This cuts down significantly on the # of stops you need to make. And two, nobody goes anywhere alone.
Although we had lots of different things with us on a recent driving trip, the thing my kids found passed the time the best was a portable DVD player. Watch one movie, and voila, that's about 1 1/2 hours gone. We loaded up with DVD's at our local library before we went.
We also found it helpful to have some drinks and small snacks such as candy in the front of the car with us.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #1404
iDad
Earning My Ears

First time drive

Thanks monymony3471
thanks so much for that website. This is our first time driving to wdw. We are coming from southern ontario and i was trying to guess what it was going to cost and i came pretty close. I really liked the way it included the stations too, that will help me out with the planning of the drive.

Last edited by iDad; 07-20-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #1405
iDad
Earning My Ears

Road Trip Planning

My DW and kids are driving down to WDW at the end of Aug. from Southern Ontario. This will be my first road trip with or without my DW, DS (6) and DD (4).

I have been reading though the post and have found some great tips on what to do during the trip. Any suggestions on how to plan the trip in the first plan. I have never done this type of thing before and want it to be a success. One thing we have already done is joined CAA which is affiliated with AAA. So my questions are:

What should be done to the vehicle before the trip?

Where can you look to find those great pit stops (preferably with some free activities or sites)?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #1406
2bliss
Earning My Ears

Hi everyone! we're planning to drive from NJ and we were hoping to rent a car from 8/11 to 8/27, but the prices are so high! I'm starting to wonder if it would be cheaper to fly any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks
Old 07-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #1407
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDad View Post
Where can you look to find those great pit stops (preferably with some free activities or sites)?
iDad, do you know your route yet?

On the splitting up the driving days topic, I'll be the odd person out and say we prefer to have our short driving day the first day if we aren't driving straight through. We can get a half day of work in, take off, and get to the lower part of VA (anywhere from VA Beach to Emporia) easily in time for dinner. My husband stays up with the kids and I get to sleep sometimes before it's completely dark (depending on time of year).

I will naturally wake up anytime between 3-5 a.m. and I shower and herd everyone (who showered after I went to bed) back in the car. They all go right back to sleep, and I drive for the first few hours. We pack breakfast and lunch to eat at the rest areas on I-95. Arrival in WDW is usually 12 1/2 - 13 hours after we leave, and we always have a goal restaurant in mind (but no reservations). So no pushing to get there.

My family is funny though -- I swear everyone enjoys the ride just as much as being in WDW. And, the way we split our hours between the two drivers, this has become our preferred method. It'll vary by family. Also, I think our enjoyment of the VA Beach/Suffolk area sways us greatly too. It's so much more fun for us to stop there, v. any nice m/hotel along I-95 in GA...
Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #1408
iDad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nono

iDad, do you know your route yet?

On the splitting up the driving days topic, I'll be the odd person out and say we prefer to have our short driving day the first day if we aren't driving straight through. We can get a half day of work in, take off, and get to the lower part of VA (anywhere from VA Beach to Emporia) easily in time for dinner. My husband stays up with the kids and I get to sleep sometimes before it's completely dark (depending on time of year).

I will naturally wake up anytime between 3-5 a.m. and I shower and herd everyone (who showered after I went to bed) back in the car. They all go right back to sleep, and I drive for the first few hours. We pack breakfast and lunch to eat at the rest areas on I-95. Arrival in WDW is usually 12 1/2 - 13 hours after we leave, and we always have a goal restaurant in mind (but no reservations). So no pushing to get there.

My family is funny though -- I swear everyone enjoys the ride just as much as being in WDW. And, the way we split our hours between the two drivers, this has become our preferred method. It'll vary by family. Also, I think our enjoyment of the VA Beach/Suffolk area sways us greatly too. It's so much more fun for us to stop there, v. any nice m/hotel along I-95 in GA...
Thanks Nono

The route is one of the decissions we have to make. We are about one hour from Fort Erie and about three hours from Windsor. Google maps says that e Fort Erie way is 22 hours and the Windsor way is 22 hours 44 minutes, so there really isn't much time difference. DW (karmalady) and I really are leaning towards the Ford Erie way 90/79/77/95/4 as we have read that it is beautiful driving.

As for our schedule, we are planning on me going to bed early (5:00ish) and then loading everyone into the van at 2:00 am. I am the early riser in this family so I would then drive for the morning until DW wakes up (we are hoping she can sleep) and then switch with each stop.

iDad
Old 07-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #1409
sharadoc

Our recommendation for anyone attempting the drive for the first time is to limit each driver's shift. We do a max 3 hour shift and switch off. That way you avoid fatigue.

We'll drive 12 hours the first day and 5 the next, so that means 2 shifts each on day one and 1 shift each on day two. It's easy!

Old 07-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #1410
iDad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc
Our recommendation for anyone attempting the drive for the first time is to limit each driver's shift. We do a max 3 hour shift and switch off. That way you avoid fatigue.

We'll drive 12 hours the first day and 5 the next, so that means 2 shifts each on day one and 1 shift each on day two. It's easy!
That is what we are hoping to do, I have some experience with long driving, just not this long. We figured I could get us on the way and then start the switching and save DS and DD some of the trip by letting them sleep through the first part.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: