Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #76
Dawncala
Collector of magical memories and pixie dust

On Deck

Next I went down to deck 4 where you’ll find a nice wide outdoor walking/jogging deck. Here I began encounter more cruise guests…the ones who come on vacation and still exercise. (My son thought it was insane that anyone would want to run for fun in this humidity.) Perry and I took a leisurely stroll, stopping occasionally to take some photos.

Overhead are the very large life boats.

[IMG]http://calafato.smugmug.com/photos/i-CpF***M/0/M/i-CpF***M-M.jpg[/IMG]
Safety first

Perry occasionally had to stop and rest. It's a long way around on those short legs.

As you enter the bow and stern the open railing becomes open port holes.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #77
LittleGirlGrey
Mouseketeer

Love Perry and love you TR. I'm doing my 4th cruise with my mom going to Hawaii in October! But its fun to see the Fantasy. I'm trying to talk her into going just ONCE on it. :-D

One word love; curiosity. You long for freedom. You long to do what you want to do because you want it. To act on selfish impulse. You want to see what it's like. One day you won't be able to resist.
LittleGirlGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #78
DisneyRhondaKay
Earning My Ears

Smile Loving your report

Absolutely loving your trip report!!!!!!! I'm a little addicted. Counting down the days until our Fantasy cruise in September! My first Disney Cruise and my DH and DD (4 1/2) first cruise ever!
DisneyRhondaKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #79
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

Great trip report! The pictures are great...looking forward to reading more !
davale4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #80
Dawncala

Europe Before Breakfast

When we (we being me and Perry) went back inside again we decided to check out the adult party district named Europa. I figured this might be the only time I’d get to see it when it wasn’t stuffed with guests. (and I was right)

Europa is located on Deck 4 Aft, and while it is remarkable, the layout is terribly weird. There are a few ways to enter the Europa district. The first is up or down the Aft stairs and elevators. Another way is down a long hallway running from mid ship back on the port side of the ship. If you enter from that hallway you have to cut through La Piazza and either O’Gills or the bathroom hallway to get to the back two bars and the stairwell/elevator area. I believe there is also an entrance next to The Tube from the Deck 4 walking deck, but we never came in or left that way.

Many family activities take place in The Tube during the day, and it felt a bit odd to have to take the kids through the bar areas to get around back there, but it was also no big deal.

Photo of the elevetor bay from the stairwell
Old 07-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #81
stitch101
Earning My Ears

Subing....can't wait for more details about your trip.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #82
Dawncala

La Piazza

DCL describes La Piazza as a lounge “inspired by picturesque Italian cities and their decorative plazas”. Since I’ve never been to Italy it mostly reminded me of Mardi Gras in New Orleans. My daughter insisted on calling La Piazza “La Pizza” whenever we passed it. (silly teen)

The view as you enter from the long port hallway.

Perry and I tried out the saddle-like stools. They are quite comfortable.

O'Gills is on the other side of the glass doors.

A cozy little banquette for sharing a drink and conversation.

Many evenings live entertainers (magicians, comedians, ventriloquists…) perform in The Tube. When The Tube fills to capacity DCL offers overflow viewing in La Piazza on two large viewing screens. We watched magician Dave Williamson’s adult show from a table here. In my opinion it was just as good as seeing him live in The Tube. There is also a live entertainment in here occasionally, but for the most part it is a quiet place to have a drink and chat. It’s not as private as some of the other bars though because it is a pass through area.

A Vespa scooter with side car is a special touch in La Piazza and a great photo op.

Perry wanted to drive, but he couldn't reach the handlebars.

DH and DS on a later trip through La Piazza. DS discovered that turning the handlebars makes the engine rev.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #83
Dawncala

Ooh La La Has Ooh & Ahh

Just off La Piazza is Ooh La La, the posh Parisian champagne bar. We heard they had a “must try” signature champagne drink, but unfortunately we never made it in there other than to take a peek at the décor.

Ooh La La is far less lit in the evenings.

Perry was not overly fond of the frilly chairs.

The far end of the room was backed entirely with mirrors, which in the dim night time lighting gave the illusion that there might be more seating area around the other side of the bar. (There isn’t) As far as I could tell there was only one guest door in this bar, so the entrance is also the exit.

The bar area backed with mirrors.

There were several posh seat groupings, each a little different from the others.

Last edited by Dawncala; 07-17-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Dawncala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #84
Dawncala

Café Snackin’

Just past Ooh La La is a little tiled café area with a trellis and vine ceiling that resembles the Enchanted Garden restaurant. It has a small buffet area which offered a variety of nibbles (coconut shrimp, pigs in a blanket, nachos…) in the evenings. Except for the food, I think this area is mostly used as a pass through and a place people dropped off their empty drink glasses. We never actually saw anyone sitting in there.

Looking back towards La Piazza. The Ooh La La entrance alcove is top center of this photo.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #85
Dawncala

Tatooine

I mentioned earlier a bathroom hallway which connects La Piazza to The Tube and the aft stair/elevator area. It is a quirky, winding little hallway with curved rough walls and dim futuristic lighting. To simply say it was “narrow” would be an understatement. During busy times it was practically impassible. The strange lighting and sand-like walls caused us to nickname the area Tatooine. (Star Wars fans will get the reference)

The restooms in the Europa district can be found down this curvy narrow hallway.

Positioned in various locations down the hall are three womens’ and three mens’ bathrooms. In my opinion they are the coolest bathrooms on the ship. Unfortunately I only have photos of one of the womens’. (People tend to get kind of freaked out when you pull out a camera in a bathroom so I had to wait until the area was empty) Each of the three bathrooms has two stalls. This seemed rather low to me since Europa has five bars and caters to hundreds of people at a time every day. It was not uncommon for there to be a line before, during and after a show in The Tube. (Thereby making the hall even narrower.)

These bathrooms are sensational in both the shape and décor. Regarding the shape… they are round. The bathroom is round, and the toilet stall is round, causing DCL to have to install curved doors for each stall. The doors are steel, and they are heavy, and can be a little hard to lock. I had to help one little girl open and close hers and then guard it for her because she couldn’t lock it.

The second spectacular thing is the tiling. Every bathroom, and every stall, is tiled from floor to ceiling with an intricate Spanish dancer mural. (The mens’ rooms have matadors) DCL could have easily done a one wall mural and just painted inside the stalls, but instead they went (pardon the pun) “overboard” and made visiting this area an event in itself. It is simply amazing. If you travel on the Fantasy, do not forget to visit Tatooine.

To the right of the dancer you can see the curved steel bathroom stall door.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #86
Dawncala

Totally “Tube”ular

The Tube nightclub is to the left of the aft stairwell. It is brilliantly patterned after the London transportation system and has what I consider to be swankiest seating on board. Overall it was my favorite themed club and we spent many evenings in here attending the scheduled family and adult entertainment options. Right now though Perry and I had the club to ourselves so we decided to have some photo fun.

This is by far the largest club with the most seating options.

The club's name, The Tube, is the British slang term for the subway system in England. The motif is most apparent in the bench areas which surround the back of the room. It really gives the impression of being in a subway car.

The logo on the lighted dance floor.

These curved leather booths surround the dance floor and are highly coveted. (I think there were six of them) Get there early if you want to plant your backside in one of these posh spaces. Even when we got there 20 minutes early they were all already filled.

There were only six or eight of these egg chairs too, and they also filled up quickly. They can hold one adult or two kids or one platypus fairly comfortably.

Up on the stage were four classic red telephone booths. Great for a photo op. The doors are very heavy and Perry is actually being smashed in half right now.

The right side of the room had a "royal jewels" motif.

Another highly coveted chair. I mean who wouldn't feel like royalty sitting here. Just call him Sir Perry.

The carpet was covered with typical British phrases. This was my favorite.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #87
Dawncala

“Shhh, You’re in Skyline”

To the right of the aft stairwell is the main entrance into Skyline. (You can also enter through a back hallway in The Tube.) The door I tried was locked when Perry and I were there this morning so I don’t have any photos. Skyline is comparable to the kind of chic bar you’d find in a metropolitan skyscraper. The “windows” behind the bar area rotate through panoramic murals of six European cities. The murals are “live”, meaning that you can see the traffic moving, lights blinking, trains going by, etc. It’s definitely a neat effect.

DH and I went in there one night to see it, but because of the quiet atmosphere I would have felt intrusive taking photos. DH and I stayed long enough to watch the scene change once then left. Skyline is very, very quiet compared to some of the other bars, and unless you want to carry on a whispered conversation in dim lighting, this is not the bar for you.

Last edited by Dawncala; 09-10-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Dawncala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #88
Dawncala

Packed to the O’Gills

O’Gills is an Irish pub/sports bar and the exact opposite of Skyline. The one time DH and I went in there it was packed to the “O’Gills” with guests chatting, laughing and watching sporting events on every TV screen. I’d suggest you get there early if you want to find a seat.

Perry and I did get a few photos while it was empty this morning.

This entrance is in the hallway off the aft stairwell. You can also enter through a door in La Piazza.

When we popped in one evening there were so many people you could barely even tell that there were tables and chairs.

The big screen was playing sports the night we passed through, but it also has an X-Box Kinect attached and there are virtual sport competitions here.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #89
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

great TR, enjoying Perry in the pics!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #90
nurse2011
Earning My Ears

I read pages 1-6 today & your whole pretrip thread today! What else can I say, but I am hooked! I subscribed DH and I are 28 & 31 ( he will be celebrating his 32nd B-day on the Fantasy in January). I am getting so excited. We are actually leaving 6 months from today! The Fantasy looks like it will be a blast even for us, a couple without kids! Really enjoying your detailed trip report and lovely pictures.
nurse2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: