Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #61
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

We made a 1030 flight out of FL last oct
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #62
Cptjackandcrew
Mouseketeer

Where to stay in Miami?

We're driving to Miami for our next cruise and I was hoping that someone could please recommend a hotel near the port. Thank you.
Cptjackandcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #63
winniedapooh
Busy and proud Mom of 5 Disney Cherubs!
I am so proud of my princess!
A smart lady who knows better than to question the wisdom of the tag fairy

HELP, never cruised out of Miami...

We will be taking our daughters on the Wonder in April, but we have never cruised out of Miami. Here is my plan:

Fly into MCO, stay at BLT for 2 days, drive down to Miami the day before the cruise and stay overnight.

Here are my questions:
1. Which hotel (s) do you all recommend, we will need one night for 4 people.
2. Which car rental place would you use? We will pick up at MCO for our WDW trip and then want to return in Miami? We would like to return the day we arrive and then take a shuttle ? to port the morning of the cruise.
3. Which airport when we get back from the cruise? Some on here have said Miami, others FLL.

Thanks so much in advance!

winniedapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #64
LWQuestie
I'm the Rocketeer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniedapooh View Post
2. Which car rental place would you use? We will pick up at MCO for our WDW trip and then want to return in Miami? We would like to return the day we arrive and then take a shuttle ? to port the morning of the cruise.
Budget has an office about 20 minutes away (7 miles). I don't know if they have a shuttle, but you could probably call them to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniedapooh View Post
3. Which airport when we get back from the cruise? Some on here have said Miami, others FLL.
Whichever one is cheaper. Miami looks about 30 min drive away and FLL is about 45.

LWQuestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #65
winniedapooh
Busy and proud Mom of 5 Disney Cherubs!
I am so proud of my princess!
A smart lady who knows better than to question the wisdom of the tag fairy

Thanks oand bumping...

winniedapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #66
beachpal
DVC member

Try the cruise critic message boards. I've found a lot of information on the port of Miami there. Happy cruising!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #67
bahacca
Mouseketeer

We are doing the Wonder in April as well-April 4. We are going to probably stay at a Hilton or Marriott since we have points there. Looks like there are LOTS of options within several miles of the port.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #68
cruisinwithmaandpa
Happiness is being grandparents

If you stay at Hilton, we like the Doubletree Biscayne Bay
cruisinwithmaandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #69
Keggy
So this is a first for us
Thank you everyone for the great welcome!

I have sailed twice out of Miami on RCCL and I can only help with a couple of your questions. I do suggest checking out the Miami board on Cruise Critic as there are a lot of helpful suggesstions there.
1. Which hotel (s) do you all recommend, we will need one night for 4 people.
For hotel, it really is subjective as there are SOOOO many to choose from. Much, much more than Port Canaveral. Also, it depends on what kind of experience you want. Do you want to stay on the beach, close to the port, just someplace inexpensive to rest your head, or close to the airport.
On one cruise we went the night before and I believe we stayed at a Ritz Carlton. It was nice, connected to a convention center but it was on the train line and we took it down to a shopping center to walk around and get dinner the night before the cruise.

Since I live near Orlando, we have driven to both cruises, but I do feel qualified to answer this question . I say which ever airport is cheaper. It really doesn't matter. Yes, FLL is not as close, but not so far for it to make a big enough difference. If your flights are both the same price, then go for Miami.

Enjoy sailing out of Miami. In my opinion, if you love to cruise, like we do, you should sail out of Miami at least once. It is absolutely gorgeous. Make sure you are out on deck or on a verandah so that you can see everything as you sail past.

Last edited by Keggy; 09-26-2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spelling!
Keggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #70
tojam
Tojam

The Holiday Inn at the MARKETPLACE is nice and is VERY close to the port. If fact, it is on a Marina and has several great restaurants and shopping. Five minutes to the port via taxi. Great choice. Enjoy your cruise.

RC Enchantment - Bahamas Feb 2014
Carnival Breeze - Southern Caribbean Jan 2014
Disney Fantasy - Caribbean 2013
RC Oasis of the Seas 2013
Carnival Glory - Caribbean December 2011
Dis Magic- Westbound Transatlantic-September 2011
NCL Jewel - Eastbound Transatlantic - May 2009
Dis Magic - Westbound Transatlantic - August 2007
RC Slendor - Bahamas - February 2007
tojam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #71
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

There is a hertz downtown that will shuttle you to the port. There ae many hotels downtown. That is subjective. But the Hyatt is nice and people have stayed at the Holiday Inn Bayside. Bayside is an open area shopping dinning think DTD they also have little tour boats to take you on scenic tours of the rich houses. Miami beach is nice too. You can go for the day and return later to your hotel. Most of Miami will charge you to park your car. Parking at hotels can be as high as $30 a night and downtown parking is pricy as well. Bubba Gumps is a fun area at bayside to eat.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #72
epfootballcutie04
DiSnEy PrInCeSs

We sailed on Carnival for our honeymoon out of Miami. We flew in AND out of Miami and just took cabs to the hotel the day before and from the hotel to the port the morning of the cruise.

We stayed at they Hyatt Regency Miami and we liked it a lot. Now, I'm a Hyatt employee so I don't know what the normal rate would be. It is downtown Miami and it was about a 25 dollar cab ride from the airport.

It was only about a 5-10 minute drive to the port though and only about 12 bucks cab ride.

The rooms were VERY nice but the restaurant and room service prices (even with the employee discount of 50%) were insane so I would suggest to eat somewhere else.

Miami is beautiful though so Im sure you'll have a wonderful time no matter where you stay!
Contemporary *1st time to Disney!*- 92...Poly/Wonder Cruise- 01...Sailing on the Magic- 05...Going Home! SSR/OKW- 06...SSR- 07...Pop!- 09...**Disney College Program Spring Advantage!**- 09...All Star Music- 09...SSR/MNSSHP- 10...All Star Movies *Wedding Planning!*- 11...**Married my Prince Charming at WDW!**- Nov 11..Disney Dream- Oct 12...Disney Fantasy MutinEARS- Nov 13...Rockin the Dock Fantasy Sailing- Oct 14

Disney Fantasy Trip Report: November 2nd-9th 2013:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3222476
epfootballcutie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #73
dizzneebabe
SOME IMAGINATION!!!

Hertz has a shuttle and so does Alamo. We dropped our Alamo rental off at the Hotel Intercontinental and they drove us to the port. Hertz had a small rental office that with some notice, took us to the cruise terminal.

We've stayed in South Beach--a little further from the port, but fun to see.

Holiday Inn South Beach and the Royal Palm (right next to the Loews). At the time the Royal Palm was a Crowne Plaza and we had a free night on points. I don't believe they are affiliated with them any longer. Both are nice. Friends of ours just stayed at the Marriott Courtyard--closer to the port, just over the bridge.

Growing up 1974-1985 Aunt Joyce's house
With DH and 2 DS's...Sept. 1998 Offsite @ Vistana** Sept. 1999 Offsite @ Orange Lake**Sept. 2000 Offsite @ Embassy Suites**Sept. 2001 BWI**Sept. 2002 POR and RPR**July 4th week 2003 YC Concierge**
Sept. 2006 BWV/BCV/WL

March 2007-FINALLY DVC MEMBERS! June 2007 HHI**Dec 2008 AKV 1st trip "HOME!"**MY 40th BIRTHDAY!!!July 4th 2009!!! Cruise & SSR**
Dec 2009 AKV KIDANI
July 2010- HHI**Dec 2010 BLT**March 2011 BWV**May 2011 SSR**Aug 2011 SSR**Nov 2011 BLT**June 2012 SSR**Oct 2012 SSR**Jan 2013 OKW**March 2013 DCL Fantasy and Easter at BCV!**Jun 2013 SSRr**
Oct 2013 AKV weekend **Nov 2013 BWV**
Jan 2014 AKV RUN DISNEY 10K**
March 2014 BCV**July 2014 OKW**HALLOWEEN 2014 BLT**Thanksgiving 2014 AKV**

dizzneebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #74
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

bumping up and merging

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #75
Cptjackandcrew
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your recommendation. I found a very helpful thread.
Cptjackandcrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fll, fort lauderdale, mia, miami

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: