Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #1381
monymony3471
Finally got a chance to come back and crack this thing
Where did you find those set of ears?
My mamma Jamma is gonna hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
26 to 95 would be shorter.

You do realize you pick up I-40 from 25E well before Asheville, right? Like Newport, TN. You pick up I-26 in Asheville.
My husband has been studying the maps, I was trying to translate his question without really looking at the maps, but I think you answered my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDisneyFan View Post
We just made the drive down 75-26-40-95 last week and really liked the route. It was nice to avoid some of the cities and the mountains were beautiful. i would be happy to answer any questions so feel free to ask
Seeing the mountains is what really intrigues us at the moment.

Did you take that route back home? Looking for a place to stop after about 8hours of driving because with 4 kids and my mom we need to stop and sleep.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #1382
WIDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monymony3471 View Post
My husband has been studying the maps, I was trying to translate his question without really looking at the maps, but I think you answered my question.

Seeing the mountains is what really intrigues us at the moment.

Did you take that route back home? Looking for a place to stop after about 8hours of driving because with 4 kids and my mom we need to stop and sleep.
The drive through the mountains is very pretty and well worth the effort for us. As for the route back home, not yet, the van and my family are in Jacksonville at my inlaws for a couple weeks before I rejoin them and we finish the drive down to Disney. (I got to fly home and go back to work while they play in the sun!)

That being said I would say 8 hours would get you somewhere between Columbia and Spartanburg off of I-26 (hopefully someone will correct me if i am wrong)
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #1383
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDisneyFan View Post
The drive through the mountains is very pretty and well worth the effort for us. As for the route back home, not yet, the van and my family are in Jacksonville at my inlaws for a couple weeks before I rejoin them and we finish the drive down to Disney. (I got to fly home and go back to work while they play in the sun!)

That being said I would say 8 hours would get you somewhere between Columbia and Spartanburg off of I-26 (hopefully someone will correct me if i am wrong)
thats a good guess. i can get almost to char. nc. in 8 hours but i leave wdw at 3am so i hit no traffic at all in florida.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #1384
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

another 56 more days!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HpmlIDIXPs

"what we have here is a total disrespect for the law"!!!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #1385
jrw118
Mouseketeer

Can anyone give an approximate cost to drive from Long Island to WDW? We have a 2007 Honda Odyssey minivan. I would also like to know what to expect in tolls.
Thanks
Aug 23-Aug 29 2012 AKV Kidani Savanna
Aug 21- Aug 27 2013 Beach Club
Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #1386
monymony3471

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw118 View Post
Can anyone give an approximate cost to drive from Long Island to WDW? We have a 2007 Honda Odyssey minivan. I would also like to know what to expect in tolls.
Thanks
http://www.detroitgasprices.com/TripCalculator.aspx

Click here and plug in your info!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #1387
Goofygirl17
DIS Veteran

We're home!! We went to Daytona Beach yesterday so only made it to Rock Hill SC last night. Took 12 hours to get home today. We didn't hit ANY traffic at all today!! Straight ride right through from SC to CT. No blasting or construction on 77 or 81. No traffic in any of the cities!!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #1388
nyrebecca
DIS Veteran

This looks like a wonderful thread,however I became a little overwhelmed trying to read everything....

We live in the Hudson Valley in NY, and we drive to WDW every year. We usually stop in Santee, SC off of i-95, but this time we were thinking of leaving earlier and stopping somewhere in GA. Anyone have suggestions of a good place to stop in GA for the night?

Thank you -

Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #1389
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrebecca View Post
This looks like a wonderful thread,however I became a little overwhelmed trying to read everything....

We live in the Hudson Valley in NY, and we drive to WDW every year. We usually stop in Santee, SC off of i-95, but this time we were thinking of leaving earlier and stopping somewhere in GA. Anyone have suggestions of a good place to stop in GA for the night?

Thank you -
We visit friends in GA every year. Stay in Pooler..it's just south of Savannah and a wonderful small GA town. Lots of stores, motels and just a great southern feel!

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13 ASSp 2015

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR Incomplete
Old 07-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #1390
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

We leave in exactly 58 days ( pretty much to the minute) after so much debate we have decided to go our normal straight down 95 route( we are coming from W.mass so we have other routes until we get to 95..lol). We are driving straight through ( of course..lol) . We had debated a more interior route, or going thru NYC to get on 95 sooner..but I think we will stick to what we know, This should put us in the DC area just after rush hour so hopefully we will be all set.lol

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13 ASSp 2015

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR Incomplete
Old 07-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #1391
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrebecca View Post

Thank you -
DS13, DD9 and I stayed in Richmond Hill, GA (Exit 85, I believe) this past April when we drove home from FL. We stayed at the Hampton Inn, but others have recommended the Best Western Inn and Suites. The hotel was right off the highway, nice and clean, felt safe and had a fabulous breakfast included.

Last edited by SmallWorld71; 07-18-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #1392
justussix
Earning My Ears

New route question

Coming from West Michigan. Typically take US-131, I-94, I-69, I-65, I-24, I-75, FL Turnpike into the World.

The main alternate route is I-96, US-23, then I-75 all the way in.

I was looking at taking I-96, US-23, I-75, then at Findlay, OH pick up US-15, US-23, (around Columbus) US-33, I-77 (pick up in northern WV), I-26, I-95, I-4. This is about 9 more miles than the main and 5 more than the primary alternate.

The benefit is avoiding about 80 miles plus of construction on our main route. I've never been a fan of I-75 all the way down. Plus the new route has very little in the way of major cities along the way and only about 30 or so miles of construction.

Concerns are the US highways through Ohio. Most is freeway grade, but some is just plain state highway and not even limited access. Speed limits are 65 vs 70 everywhere else. Plus, if we drive all night, it'll be really dark in the mountains in WV and further south.

So do we take the known road with the knowledge that we'll hit Indianapolis around 6 pm or so and knowing construction may be a mess. Or do we try the unknown with my full knowledge that if anything goes wrong- it's going to be my fault for trying a new route.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #1393
monymony3471

We are doing the same in picking a new route instead of 75 all the way. We too are from MI. We leave in 18 days and are looking forward to the new sights and hopefully less messes along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justussix View Post
Coming from West Michigan. Typically take US-131, I-94, I-69, I-65, I-24, I-75, FL Turnpike into the World.

The main alternate route is I-96, US-23, then I-75 all the way in.

I was looking at taking I-96, US-23, I-75, then at Findlay, OH pick up US-15, US-23, (around Columbus) US-33, I-77 (pick up in northern WV), I-26, I-95, I-4. This is about 9 more miles than the main and 5 more than the primary alternate.

The benefit is avoiding about 80 miles plus of construction on our main route. I've never been a fan of I-75 all the way down. Plus the new route has very little in the way of major cities along the way and only about 30 or so miles of construction.

Concerns are the US highways through Ohio. Most is freeway grade, but some is just plain state highway and not even limited access. Speed limits are 65 vs 70 everywhere else. Plus, if we drive all night, it'll be really dark in the mountains in WV and further south.

So do we take the known road with the knowledge that we'll hit Indianapolis around 6 pm or so and knowing construction may be a mess. Or do we try the unknown with my full knowledge that if anything goes wrong- it's going to be my fault for trying a new route.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #1394
nyrebecca
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the info ! I will be sure to check everything out.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #1395
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

Just back..(well-back a few days ago...). Had a GREAT trip, especially considering it was a father-son only trip!
I logged 2012 miles...driveway to driveway. Somehow I must've driven 124 miles in and around Orlando, including a missed exit ramp-or-three. Very little rain, nothing extreme, (until I pulled in my driveway!) About 18 inches of rain here since I got back!
Amazing, the range of gas prices!..$2.85 in AL & GA, $3.39 in some parts of Orlando, and other "remote" areas.
Traffic. Mobile and Baton Rouge were a nightmare, smooth sailing most everywhere else.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: