Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #196
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

ok. so we got our estimates and mine is exactly what i wanted it to be, but as carlo moved into a higher tax bracket and doesn't receive some of the offsets he used to, his return is 3 times less than i expected/needed it to be.

we've also been really lax with saving, and i've been lax with dieting/exercise (read: none) and so now i've fallen into that pit of despair and i'm suddenly rethinking our trip.

the cruise we're doing on the fantasy is $$$ expensive. we've chosen a really, really nice cabin at a really expensive time of year, and we're planning on doing a lot of optional extras. flying from lax - mco that week is also crazy ridiculous in terms of price (can i hear thanksgiving week anyone) so it's costing us mucho dinero.

so...

i was browsing, checking my options, as you do and i stumbled upon a different cruise... still dcl, but out of galveston on the magic. a deal they're running for verandah staterooms at oceanview room prices. would save us approx $1500. then i checked the flights. direct from lax - hou would be no problem, the timing works, and each flight is approx $80 cheaper per person, each way. so that's another $320 in savings right there. no castaway cay, and it's on the older magic instead of the new fantasy, but the $$$ savings are pretty nice...

but it would mean having to pay oop for the hotel the night before the cruise, and cruise transfers (included in the price for the fantasy cruise), and we would have to give up on seeing castaway cay, the new ship and the plans we'd made with our FE group and dismeet...

so we decided to stick with our original fantasy cruise which has been paid in full... just means that we have to buckle down in the next 4 months and really be vigilant around money and trying to save a few pennies so that we have some spending money for this trip.

carlo wants something romantic and special. and right now all i can see is effort and planning and scrounging and scrimping and having to diet like crazy to fit into nicer clothes...

this holiday better be worth it

me (alicia): dbf (carlo):
2011 vacation - Of Mice, and Wizards and Pirates, oh my!

2013 trip - 3 castles and a Disney boat - a work in progress
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:20 AM   #197
Andona
Destroyer of the Aussie Dollar

I'm sure it will be worth it!

You've stuck with your original plans and, hopefully, that will give you both the motivations to make some sacrfices in the next 4 months so that you can take the holiday of your dreams

Good luck!!!

Andona
2005: DL - 3/50 states | 2007- UK & Paris | 2008: WDW - 14/50 states| 2009: DL - 18/50 States | 2011 European roadtrip - ANZAC day in France | 2012: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip! 25/50 states Read my TR|2013 Italy

Dec 2014 Hawaii Here We Come!

Aug 2015 Pacific Northwest Roadtrip finishing up in DL. Yay!
Andona is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #198
WickedDreamer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjd0411 View Post
Ooh - and Aussie PTR!! Great!! I admire you going right through to MCO in one go - I have never done that - I usually overnight in LAX before the cross country flight!!
I am staying at HoJo's in Anaheim this time - I've never stayed there before, but it does get good write ups. Might be worth investigating? And it is apparently only 8 minutes walk to DL.
And you've got to love a man who can break into Disney song at any time!!
OK - will be along for your ride - and be about a month ahead of you in leaving!!
My sister and me did the SYD-Lax-MCO in one day, took us about 22 hours, plus a 4 hour wait in LA, but it worked best for us, as we were both able to sleep on the international and domestic flight. The only trouble we had was the wait in LA as it felt like forever, even though it was just four hours, there was just nothing to do or look at in the airport.

Coming back though we had to stay a night in LA, because Virgin has messed up out flights home, and we had no seats on our original flight we had booked, but that worked for us, another two days in Disney World!!! and Virgin paid for our two nights we had to add on

Going over we flew with Delta, and internationally they were wonderful, the best food I had seen on any plane carrier, and they had so many options for movies, tv shows and music, never got bored on the plane, and they had plenty of food and snacks, they came around every hour with water, and every 2-3 with snacks, plus they had the kitchen open if you needed anything extra

I would use Expedia to take a look at the hotels, thats how we looked at all our options and could stick to our budget.

Hope you have a wonderful time, sounds like an amazing trip you have planned!!!

Shan
WickedDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #199
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
ok. so we got our estimates and mine is exactly what i wanted it to be, but as carlo moved into a higher tax bracket and doesn't receive some of the offsets he used to, his return is 3 times less than i expected/needed it to be.

we've also been really lax with saving, and i've been lax with dieting/exercise (read: none) and so now i've fallen into that pit of despair and i'm suddenly rethinking our trip.

the cruise we're doing on the fantasy is $$$ expensive. we've chosen a really, really nice cabin at a really expensive time of year, and we're planning on doing a lot of optional extras. flying from lax - mco that week is also crazy ridiculous in terms of price (can i hear thanksgiving week anyone) so it's costing us mucho dinero.

so...

i was browsing, checking my options, as you do and i stumbled upon a different cruise... still dcl, but out of galveston on the magic. a deal they're running for verandah staterooms at oceanview room prices. would save us approx $1500. then i checked the flights. direct from lax - hou would be no problem, the timing works, and each flight is approx $80 cheaper per person, each way. so that's another $320 in savings right there. no castaway cay, and it's on the older magic instead of the new fantasy, but the $$$ savings are pretty nice...

but it would mean having to pay oop for the hotel the night before the cruise, and cruise transfers (included in the price for the fantasy cruise), and we would have to give up on seeing castaway cay, the new ship and the plans we'd made with our FE group and dismeet...

so we decided to stick with our original fantasy cruise which has been paid in full... just means that we have to buckle down in the next 4 months and really be vigilant around money and trying to save a few pennies so that we have some spending money for this trip.

carlo wants something romantic and special. and right now all i can see is effort and planning and scrounging and scrimping and having to diet like crazy to fit into nicer clothes...

this holiday better be worth it
you will get there you have done a great job so far bummer about the tax returns but i am sure you will find a way to save the extra money you need i never thought we would make it and we have in the end with everything falling into place although i have no plans in the future except for the already planned Europe 2015 trip to ever plan a 9 week holiday again way to stressful and so many extra $$$$.

You & Carlo on your own nice romantic trip what else do you need, whatever you decide it will be amazing and you will have a wonderful time
Old 07-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #200
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMUMOF4 View Post
you will get there you have done a great job so far bummer about the tax returns but i am sure you will find a way to save the extra money you need i never thought we would make it and we have in the end with everything falling into place although i have no plans in the future except for the already planned Europe 2015 trip to ever plan a 9 week holiday again way to stressful and so many extra $$$$.

You & Carlo on your own nice romantic trip what else do you need, whatever you decide it will be amazing and you will have a wonderful time
awww thanks.. i have been following along with your PTR too.. so much work and planning - i can't wait to read all about your trip, as i am sure it will be super special.

i'm just a big stress head i sit on the comp all day and plan/replan/organise our stuff, and stress about the money and making sure it all comes together.

i really need to buy good walking shoes. i can't wear closed toe shoes for very long as they always hurt my toes (not enough room vertically) so i tend to wear sandals/thongs even in winter, but i discovered last year that thongs were not a good idea for heaps of walking. not enough cushioning and by the end of the trip, my achilles tendon was bruised so badly i could barely walk properly.

i am sure we will have a fantastic trip no matter what... i'm just at that stage, approx 4 mths out where you start second and third guessing yourself

Old 07-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #201
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

so got my tax return money in my account last night (only 5 business days after lodgement, so they're pretty quick this year). dumped that straight on the card we'll be taking with us for 'spending money'.

i've calculated our remaining expenses to be saved/paid, and we have approx $4800 to save in the next 18 weeks. i know that's only $270 a week or thereabouts, but that's a lot of money to be taken out of our budget each week, and my immediate manager kinda warned me this morning that my job is in serious jeopardy, so if i lose that, i will have to survive the next 18 weeks on a single income (carlo's) while still paying for all of our expenses and putting money aside for the trip.

i don't think i could find a new job that would let me take leave within the first 18 weeks, and especially not for a 4 week holiday...

and probably not with my previous job's references saying i had too much sick leave

Old 07-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #202
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
so got my tax return money in my account last night (only 5 business days after lodgement, so they're pretty quick this year). dumped that straight on the card we'll be taking with us for 'spending money'.

i've calculated our remaining expenses to be saved/paid, and we have approx $4800 to save in the next 18 weeks. i know that's only $270 a week or thereabouts, but that's a lot of money to be taken out of our budget each week, and my immediate manager kinda warned me this morning that my job is in serious jeopardy, so if i lose that, i will have to survive the next 18 weeks on a single income (carlo's) while still paying for all of our expenses and putting money aside for the trip.

i don't think i could find a new job that would let me take leave within the first 18 weeks, and especially not for a 4 week holiday...

and probably not with my previous job's references saying i had too much sick leave
to be perfectly honest they don't deserve you and you need to go somewhere else, I think you should put your feelers out there and get out of that toxic environment I understand what your saying about other employers but DH got time of and so did someone else's DH most employers are very lenient about already booked holidays.

Maybe try living on one wage now and putting yours completely to the holiday you know you can do it you have before sure things will be tight but you will be on forced saving.

I will have to check our bank and see if DH's is refunded yet

I am PMing you as well

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: