Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #31
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

Thanks to everyone for the DC suggestions. We had a great time. There was renovation and earthquake reparation all over, but it's still a beautiful city.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #32
glassslipper2004
DIS Veteran

Bobo912 - Anything to look out for/avoid/plan around due to renovations? We head off tomorrow (but won't be there until Monday, will be visiting relatives before D.C.). Very excited about the trip.
1980; 1990 - WDW - college graduation; 1993 - WDW - Grand Floridian honeymoon trip; 2003 - WDW - (offsite) first time with our girls - we celebrate DH's birthday; 2004 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge; 2006 - WDW - (offsite) and we again celebrate DH's birthday; 2006 - Disney Wonder 4-night cruise; 2007 - Disney Wonder Cruise and WDW Yacht Club -- fun at Stormalong Bay!; 2008 - Viva Italia ABD; 2009 - Disney Hollywood Studios; 2009 - Southwest Splendors ABD; 2010 - Israel; 2010 - Paris/London; 2011 - Disney Dream, Poly and Beach Club

Upcoming: August 2013 Med cruise
glassslipper2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #33
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassslipper2004 View Post
Bobo912 - Anything to look out for/avoid/plan around due to renovations? We head off tomorrow (but won't be there until Monday, will be visiting relatives before D.C.). Very excited about the trip.
Fortunately, none of the contruction was really an impediment. There are barricades around the Washington Monument, so you can't go right up to it, but since you can't go inside now anyway there isn't really any reason to. There's lots of scaffolding and netting on the ceiling in the Main Hall at Union Station, but it appears to be business as usual there. It doesn't look as pretty, but it's still impressive. There is earthquake damage and netting on the ceiling at the National Cathdral. There's also some scaffolding and tarps draped on the Capitol. The reflecting pool is fenced off and excavated. Some of the walkways between the WWII Memorial and Lincoln Memorial are blocked off because of the Reflecting Pool renovation, but you can still get around easily. There is also another museum being built on that end of the Mall. None of the renovations caused us a problem, but the city isn't as picturesque as I remembered. I guess we'll have to go back when all the restoration is complete.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #34
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the DC suggestions. We had a great time. There was renovation and earthquake reparation all over, but it's still a beautiful city.
Glad you had a good time! See America!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #35
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Heading to London and Paris with ABD in less than a month! SO not ready!!!

Anyone else been on that trip and have any suggestions? Sayhello has been very helpful!

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #36
jlevis
Mouseketeer

We're leaving in two weeks for Hilton Head. We are driving and will stop for a couple of days in DC. Surprised no one mentioned Arlington National Cemetery. The Tomb of the Unknowns is a must for us. But so is a walk through the various sections, e.g. the United States Colored Troops, the Supreme Court section, The Generals, etc.
jlevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #37
glassslipper2004
DIS Veteran

We just got back from our trip to D.C. It was an amazing five days - there is so much to see and do, we were busy the whole time (and walked 'til we dropped). It was really a shame about the construction on the National Mall, and the empty reflecting pool, but the Jefferson Memorial on the tidal basin still looked stunning. We enjoyed a great morning at "Constitutent Day" with our congressman, and got one of my daughters thinking about perhaps going to college in the D.C. area. My kids loved the Spy Museum and Georgetown Cupcake. We also had a lot of great meals - there are a plethora of really good (although somewhat pricey) restaurants in D.C. We balanced out the meal costs by staying in a very value-priced hotel - it was well located, acceptable as far as quality, and a real budget helper.

Thanks to all for the tips!
1980; 1990 - WDW - college graduation; 1993 - WDW - Grand Floridian honeymoon trip; 2003 - WDW - (offsite) first time with our girls - we celebrate DH's birthday; 2004 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge; 2006 - WDW - (offsite) and we again celebrate DH's birthday; 2006 - Disney Wonder 4-night cruise; 2007 - Disney Wonder Cruise and WDW Yacht Club -- fun at Stormalong Bay!; 2008 - Viva Italia ABD; 2009 - Disney Hollywood Studios; 2009 - Southwest Splendors ABD; 2010 - Israel; 2010 - Paris/London; 2011 - Disney Dream, Poly and Beach Club

Upcoming: August 2013 Med cruise
glassslipper2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #38
Earstou
The Tag Fairy sends you pixie dust to help you feel better, but we don't do AP rates!

Just back from our Iceland trip. Loved, loved loved it! DH is already planning on going back, lol! Highlight of the trip was our jeep tour that took us to the top of a glacier! Absolutely beautiful country and friendly people.

Also stopped in Boston for a few days (had to catch Icelandair there). Did a Segway tour of the city, really fun.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #39
Karabee
DIS Veteran

What a great thread to see where everyone is going! I have a few trips planned for this year: Seattle at the end of June, Maine (annual trip) in August, San Francisco & Sonoma in October and then Disney World in December.
I was hoping to do ABD Peru this October but it looks like we're going to pick a date for next year when the new dates come out - I'm so excited about that!

If anyone has any recommendations for Seattle I'm all ears! And also, for D.C., if anyone else is going, I used to live there and miss it so much! I would suggest Arlington National Cemetery as a PP mentioned - its absolutely beautiful.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #40
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karabee View Post
What a great thread to see where everyone is going! I have a few trips planned for this year: Seattle at the end of June, Maine (annual trip) in August, San Francisco & Sonoma in October and then Disney World in December.
I was hoping to do ABD Peru this October but it looks like we're going to pick a date for next year when the new dates come out - I'm so excited about that!

If anyone has any recommendations for Seattle I'm all ears! And also, for D.C., if anyone else is going, I used to live there and miss it so much! I would suggest Arlington National Cemetery as a PP mentioned - its absolutely beautiful.
Sounds like you're taking some great trips this year!

Seattle is a great city. You're going to love it! You definitely have to check out the Pike Place Market on the waterfront. Check out the fish market, where they throw the fish. The entire waterfront area is great, with a wonderful Aquarium, and amazing restaurants.

I also highly recommend the Underground tour. The streets in old Seattle were raised, and much of the old street-level part of the town was abandoned. It's a really cool thing to see, and learn a bit about the history of Seattle.

http://www.undergroundtour.com/

And you have to go to the Space Needle. The views from the top are amazing, and if you eat at the restaurant up there, the observation deck is included (not to mention the view while you eat!). Last time I was there, the food was very good.

Sayhello
Old 05-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #41
SgtClaymore
Mouseketeer

I'm about to go to Universal in a few days and then Columbia, South Carolina to visit some family! Can't wait!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #42
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Washington,DC trip in July, Epcot Food & Wine/ Universal Florida in October!

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #43
Karabee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Sounds like you're taking some great trips this year!

Seattle is a great city. You're going to love it! You definitely have to check out the Pike Place Market on the waterfront. Check out the fish market, where they throw the fish. The entire waterfront area is great, with a wonderful Aquarium, and amazing restaurants.

I also highly recommend the Underground tour. The streets in old Seattle were raised, and much of the old street-level part of the town was abandoned. It's a really cool thing to see, and learn a bit about the history of Seattle.

http://www.undergroundtour.com/

And you have to go to the Space Needle. The views from the top are amazing, and if you eat at the restaurant up there, the observation deck is included (not to mention the view while you eat!). Last time I was there, the food was very good.

Sayhello
Thanks!! I'm super excited about Seattle. I've head about the Underground Tour so it looks like it's going to be on the "must" list I've done so much traveling in Europe that I think it's about time I check out this beautiful country of ours!!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #44
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karabee View Post
Thanks!! I'm super excited about Seattle. I've head about the Underground Tour so it looks like it's going to be on the "must" list I've done so much traveling in Europe that I think it's about time I check out this beautiful country of ours!!
. I agree! See the USA!

Sayhello
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #45
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

We are back from our Tauck Bridges river cruise. It was a fantastic trip. I'm not going to post a review since it wasn't ABD. And I can't really do a comparison either, since ABD doesn't offer anything similar. I think a few of you were considering this trip, so if you have any questions you can PM me and I'll do my best to answer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: