Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
WebmasterLeah

DISboards Moderator

new blog: An Up Close Look at the Launch Control Center at Kennedy Space Center

http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/07/...-space-center/

WebmasterLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

Thanks Kathy.
I had tears in my eyes just reading your report!

John and I are planning our first ever trip to KSC- probably on Sat, Sept 1st.

For newbies to the Space Center complex, do you recommend this as a good tour for the first time, or would you recommend another one?
This one fascinates me, as I too remember watching that first moon landing on TV, plus for just about every Mercury mission they would bring a TV or radio into our school classrooms! I still have my scrapbook from Cooper's 22 orbits around the Earth!!

John, however, grew up as an Air Force brat. His dad was an areonautical engineer and worked on the design on many rockets. He thinks the VAB might be fascinating. Jeff and Mike's recent pictures and reports sounded great.

Or should first timers just stick to the main entry tickets and take in as much as possible there?

We only have one day on this coming trip- although I think we will learn we have to come back for more.

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Since this is a rare opportunity to see the Firing room I would book this additional tour. It takes you to the Saturn 5 building where there are lots of exhibits.

I would normally say to just take the standard bus tour where you see a lot of different things.

I might be the wrong person to ask since I enjoy everything I get to see at KSC.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Great blog Kathy!!!!!
Thanks for all the pictures!
We love KSC
I hope this tour is open when I'm there in the fall!!!

Last edited by disneyholic family; 07-12-2012 at 03:02 AM.
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
safetymom
Have will travel

Beth, the tour is supposed to run through the end of the year. I hope you decide to do the tour. I can't wait to go back.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:41 AM   #6
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetymom View Post
Beth, the tour is supposed to run through the end of the year. I hope you decide to do the tour. I can't wait to go back.
we were last at KSC about 6 years ago - there was a really neat part that we especially liked ....i don't remember what it was called - but you were in a place where they played the sound of a saturn 5 blasting off - so that you could hear/feel the power of it....
we spent the entire day at KSC, from opening to closing, but only managed to see a small part of it...so much to see!!!
DS is learning aeronautical engineering in university now - though i think his interest predated the KSC visit!!

his dream used to be working either for nasa or as an imagineer....
seems that nasa's kind of out of the question now (unless they get their act back in gear), but maybe spaceX?
Old 07-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #7
safetymom
Have will travel

I can't tell you the number of times I have been to KSC. I still haven't seen it all. We always see something new every time we go.

It's a shame that the space program has slowed down.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's a relief, since we're having trouble scheduling a weekend there in the short term. Your photos make me want to go even more!

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
NitroStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
safetymom
Have will travel

If you get the chance GO!! Who knows when the next time they may offer these tours.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #10
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

i told DS today at lunch about the tour of the launch control center and he thought that was so cool!!
unfortunately, he won't be in florida any time soon.....maybe not for a few years....
Old 07-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwscout View Post
Thanks Kathy.
I had tears in my eyes just reading your report!

John and I are planning our first ever trip to KSC- probably on Sat, Sept 1st.

For newbies to the Space Center complex, do you recommend this as a good tour for the first time, or would you recommend another one?
This one fascinates me, as I too remember watching that first moon landing on TV, plus for just about every Mercury mission they would bring a TV or radio into our school classrooms! I still have my scrapbook from Cooper's 22 orbits around the Earth!!

John, however, grew up as an Air Force brat. His dad was an areonautical engineer and worked on the design on many rockets. He thinks the VAB might be fascinating. Jeff and Mike's recent pictures and reports sounded great.

Or should first timers just stick to the main entry tickets and take in as much as possible there?

We only have one day on this coming trip- although I think we will learn we have to come back for more.
Hmmmm.....

I'd almost say that the "Cape Canaveral- Then and Now" Tour might be more interesting for you guys. It actually takes you to the old Cape Launch sites used in the Gemini and Mercury programs [Including the original Block-houses/firing rooms], As well as the Saturn 1 pad.

But.... Then there is that whole Limited run thing of the KSC Up Close tour and the Pad 39 firing room that would be so nice to see. If you had more than 1 day, I'd definately say you should do both. [I did both last november over 2 days when they first opened the VAB to the public... i actually got to see Endeavor up close in one of the VAB bays being prepped for Museum duty].

honestly, both of the extra cost guided tours are amazing and you can't really go wrong with either of them.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
safetymom
Have will travel

There are so many great tours at KSC. I would take the LCC tour first if you are interested in that since it will only be offered for a limited time.

You can't go wrong with any of the tours there.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
Hmmmm.....

I'd almost say that the "Cape Canaveral- Then and Now" Tour might be more interesting for you guys. It actually takes you to the old Cape Launch sites used in the Gemini and Mercury programs [Including the original Block-houses/firing rooms], As well as the Saturn 1 pad.

But.... Then there is that whole Limited run thing of the KSC Up Close tour and the Pad 39 firing room that would be so nice to see. If you had more than 1 day, I'd definately say you should do both. [I did both last november over 2 days when they first opened the VAB to the public... i actually got to see Endeavor up close in one of the VAB bays being prepped for Museum duty].

honestly, both of the extra cost guided tours are amazing and you can't really go wrong with either of them.
Quote:
There are so many great tours at KSC. I would take the LCC tour first if you are interested in that since it will only be offered for a limited time.

You can't go wrong with any of the tours there.
Wow- thanks for all the replies. I am going to call and see if the LCC tour is available and works in our schedule. Otherwise, I think we will do just fine. I do understand there is so much to see.
We are working on a plan to move to the area in the next 2 years- so maybe we'll get to visit as much as Kathy does!!

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
Flight
Mouseketeer

We love the Kennedy Space Center!!! We are usually the first thought the doors in the morning and the last tos leave in the evening. The Rocket Garden is especially beautiful just after sunset when it is all lit up.

During our last visit this year we took the Caper Canaveral: Now and Then tour. Wonderful for those familiar with the early days of the space program. Planning another trip this year and number one on our list will the Launch Control Center tour.
Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Just wanted everyone to know there is another Option for space enthusiasts which may be closer to you - NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center at the US Space & Rocket Center (home of Space Camp) in Huntsville, Alabama. We don't have the LCC or launch pads, but we are where Werhner Von Braun designed and built the rocket engines that sent man to the moon. We've got a bigger rocket park than KSC and bus tours now take you out to the International Space Center Operations Center where people like me work with and talk to the astronauts living and working on the ISS daily.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: