Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West > Southern California
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #31
can
Earning My Ears
 
can's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: suburb of Chicago, IL
Posts: 247

Thumbs up

Thank you, pixarmom, for all the great Newport Beach info. My 20 year old daughter and I are coming out end of July and I have been thinking of staying in this area. My question is that just being the two of us, any tips or recommendations on where to stay? If it isn't directly the ocean front, we are ok, but would at least like a pool. Again, great info that I am most definitely going to use!!
__________________
can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #32
MrsPinup
3 cups. cups, cups, cups, cups, cups
 
MrsPinup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 1,492

Thank you for this thread We went yesterday and I was hoping you could add a little more and I wanted to offer my two cents.

First off, directions for us non-locals would be great! I put 15th street intersection in on my TomTom and it took me to a really nice neighborhood near Newport Harbor HS. Luckily, you added the photo of the 15th Street Surf shop and I was able to look that up to redirect us. Since there are two 15th Streets in Newport (from what we experienced) this was rather confusing.

When we arrived there was no parking near 15th street so we parked down near 11th and walked up the beach sidewalk. Towards 11th and 12th was much less crowded and just as beautiful. However, we didn't change into our swimsuits thinking there would be a place to change. Since there are none, we walked to those bathrooms you mentioned. They were disgusting! The women's restroom had only 2 clean stalls, and tp and garbage all over the ground. The men's restroom had no doors so my sons couldn't change. Note: Change into swimwear BEFORE you head to the beach. I had to hold a towel up for them to change.

After that we headed back towards 12th and found a nice, less-crowded area. At one point while the DH and I were tanning, and my son was playing at the shoreline, I saw fins in the water, just 30 feet or so out. Heart Attack! Thankfully, it was a pair of dolphins - So COOL!

Here is another tip: you can pay for the parking meters using the parking mobile app or via your phone. This was pretty convienent so you do not have to worry about a pocketful of quarters.

All in all we really enjoyed this beach, but I do wish Newport cleaned their bathrooms and maybe added some more.
__________________
MrsPinup is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-10-2012, 03:45 AM   #33
AussieJess
Earning My Ears
 
AussieJess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 30

Great Photos of Newport Beach I can't wait to go there when i travel to the USA in September
AussieJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #34
pixarmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,112

Quote:
Originally Posted by can View Post
Thank you, pixarmom, for all the great Newport Beach info. My 20 year old daughter and I are coming out end of July and I have been thinking of staying in this area. My question is that just being the two of us, any tips or recommendations on where to stay? If it isn't directly the ocean front, we are ok, but would at least like a pool. Again, great info that I am most definitely going to use!!
I just saw this post, so I'm sure I'm too late! We usually rent a beach house, and they are often booked far in advance for the summer. But for hotels on the peninsula, we can really only recommend the Bay Shores Peninsula (excellent location, OK hotel and no pool.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPinup View Post
Thank you for this thread We went yesterday and I was hoping you could add a little more and I wanted to offer my two cents.

First off, directions for us non-locals would be great! I put 15th street intersection in on my TomTom and it took me to a really nice neighborhood near Newport Harbor HS. Luckily, you added the photo of the 15th Street Surf shop and I was able to look that up to redirect us. Since there are two 15th Streets in Newport (from what we experienced) this was rather confusing.

When we arrived there was no parking near 15th street so we parked down near 11th and walked up the beach sidewalk. Towards 11th and 12th was much less crowded and just as beautiful. However, we didn't change into our swimsuits thinking there would be a place to change. Since there are none, we walked to those bathrooms you mentioned. They were disgusting! The women's restroom had only 2 clean stalls, and tp and garbage all over the ground. The men's restroom had no doors so my sons couldn't change. Note: Change into swimwear BEFORE you head to the beach. I had to hold a towel up for them to change.

After that we headed back towards 12th and found a nice, less-crowded area. At one point while the DH and I were tanning, and my son was playing at the shoreline, I saw fins in the water, just 30 feet or so out. Heart Attack! Thankfully, it was a pair of dolphins - So COOL!

Here is another tip: you can pay for the parking meters using the parking mobile app or via your phone. This was pretty convienent so you do not have to worry about a pocketful of quarters.

All in all we really enjoyed this beach, but I do wish Newport cleaned their bathrooms and maybe added some more.
So glad you enjoyed Newport!!! Great tips on parking - we usually park near our beach house rental during the summer and walk, so your tip regarding the meters in the summer months is good to hear. As for directions, I usually put either our beach house address (not very helpful for day visitors) or Newport Elementary into my phone for directions.

Agreed on the 15th street bathrooms. Those are the not-so-clean ones and I always carry hand sanitizer because they do not have soap. Really sad to hear they were in such poor condition during your visit. I definitely agree that you should have your swimsuit on when you arrive!!! All good points - I've never been a day visitor to Newport, so the additional suggestions should be very helpful!
__________________
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon (GF/BWI!)
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #35
undertheseas
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: mid-MO
Posts: 1,374

This thread is so helpful, thank you so much guys, especially pixarmom!
__________________
1996 - ASMu
2004 - ASMo and POFQ
2005 - POP
2007 - POP
2008 - POFQ
2011 - Beach Club and POFQ
2012 - CSR
2013 - DL
undertheseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #36
kimiquin
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11

Thank you so much @pixarmom for all the info on Newport Beach. We are heading to DL this month and have planned a beach day. We have been undecided until now - Newport Beach it is!
kimiquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #37
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran
 
Grumpy Grandma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SACRAMENTO CA
Posts: 3,217

Hi pixarmom .... missing my favorite little beach town!
__________________
Grumpy Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #38
undertheseas
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: mid-MO
Posts: 1,374

I can't believe that I didn't post sooner about our Newport Beach visit. We went last month and experienced a lot of "June gloom" at all the beaches we saw, it was very chilly and no sun those 3 days but my daughter still got a sunburn (we put on sunscreen but the heavy cloud cover fooled us into not reapplying). Newport was cleaner than Huntington, and better waves we thought too. The bathroom wasn't great but it was definitely better than Seal Beach's We had great service renting items from 15th Street Surf Shop. We did see several dolphins at Newport too! Good thing it was dolphins and not sharks, they weren't too far from DS! We enjoyed all the CA beaches, our favorite for exploring was Little Corona de Mar but for playing in the water it was definitely Newport. Huntington had more parking from what we saw but we got lucky with metered parking just on the other side of the surf shop. Seal beach seemed to have bigger waves but we were on the way to the airport so we didn't get out to play so I don't know how clean the sand was. Oh and we had better luck finding shells at Newport too.

I really want to thank pixarmom for her help and information on this thread!
__________________
1996 - ASMu
2004 - ASMo and POFQ
2005 - POP
2007 - POP
2008 - POFQ
2011 - Beach Club and POFQ
2012 - CSR
2013 - DL
undertheseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #39
pixarmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,112

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiquin View Post
Thank you so much @pixarmom for all the info on Newport Beach. We are heading to DL this month and have planned a beach day. We have been undecided until now - Newport Beach it is!
So glad you've decided to give it a try! Have a great time!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post
Hi pixarmom .... missing my favorite little beach town!
Hi Linda! Me too! Fortunately, we're back for 2.5 weeks next month and then for another week in January next year (love the off season!) Can't wait! Are you going back soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheseas View Post
I can't believe that I didn't post sooner about our Newport Beach visit. We went last month and experienced a lot of "June gloom" at all the beaches we saw, it was very chilly and no sun those 3 days but my daughter still got a sunburn (we put on sunscreen but the heavy cloud cover fooled us into not reapplying). Newport was cleaner than Huntington, and better waves we thought too. The bathroom wasn't great but it was definitely better than Seal Beach's We had great service renting items from 15th Street Surf Shop. We did see several dolphins at Newport too! Good thing it was dolphins and not sharks, they weren't too far from DS! We enjoyed all the CA beaches, our favorite for exploring was Little Corona de Mar but for playing in the water it was definitely Newport. Huntington had more parking from what we saw but we got lucky with metered parking just on the other side of the surf shop. Seal beach seemed to have bigger waves but we were on the way to the airport so we didn't get out to play so I don't know how clean the sand was. Oh and we had better luck finding shells at Newport too.

I really want to thank pixarmom for her help and information on this thread!
Thanks so much for your report!! So glad you enjoyed Newport and always happy to see visitors stopping by the 15th Street Surf Shop. Our January rental is just steps away from 15th Street, so we plan on lots of stops at the surf shop and snacks at the Stuft Surfer! Boo on that gloom - hope your next visit brings more sunny skies!
__________________
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon (GF/BWI!)
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #40
W.E.D.
Haunted Mansion junkie
 
W.E.D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1,542

Thank you as well for this great thread!

I do have a question, and if I missed it above, I apologize.

We will be staying in the DLR area, but really want to take a day trip to Newport Beach--maybe visit Bilboa (sp?!?) Island and I know we want to go to Crystal Cove State Park. I'm trying to decide if we need a car rental for this trip as otherwise we will be at DLR the whole time. Is there public transport that we could take from DLR to Newport Beach and back, or would that be a real mess of transfers, etc., and we'd be better with a car??
__________________
Next trip: Hopefully 2016!
WDW: '76, '89, '94, '95, '97, '98, '01, '03, '06, '11
DL: '84
...hurry back......hurry back......be sure to bring your death certificate.
W.E.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #41
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran
 
Grumpy Grandma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SACRAMENTO CA
Posts: 3,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.D. View Post
Thank you as well for this great thread!

I do have a question, and if I missed it above, I apologize.

We will be staying in the DLR area, but really want to take a day trip to Newport Beach--maybe visit Bilboa (sp?!?) Island and I know we want to go to Crystal Cove State Park. I'm trying to decide if we need a car rental for this trip as otherwise we will be at DLR the whole time. Is there public transport that we could take from DLR to Newport Beach and back, or would that be a real mess of transfers, etc., and we'd be better with a car??
I would get a rental car .... public transportation in So Cal is not the best. You might be able to pick up a rental car at one of the hotels and only need it for the one day you are heading to the beach. Or depending on how many are in your party it might be better to just get one for the entire trip rather than messing with a shuttle from the airport. Not sure what airport but if it's Orange County aka John Wayne the drive is easy.
__________________
Grumpy Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #42
W.E.D.
Haunted Mansion junkie
 
W.E.D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1,542

Thanks Grumpy Grandma!

While in Newport Beach, we are going to Crystal Cove State Park. We will wander the beach there and probably do a bit of the interior hiking. I've read that there at least two different kinds of rattlesnakes in that area. If we stay on the paths, should we be fine in shorts and sandals? Or would it be safer to have jeans, sneakers/hiking boots and socks that day. We enjoy hiking, so aren't scared of running into a snake. Just trying to be safe.
__________________
Next trip: Hopefully 2016!
WDW: '76, '89, '94, '95, '97, '98, '01, '03, '06, '11
DL: '84
...hurry back......hurry back......be sure to bring your death certificate.
W.E.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #43
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran
 
Grumpy Grandma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SACRAMENTO CA
Posts: 3,217

I really haven't done any hiking in that area .... most of my hikes/walks take place in the Sierra Nevada Mts .... around the Lake Tahoe area. Hope someone else can answer your question. Personally if I'm in So Cal and the weather permits I'm in shorts and flip flops!
__________________
Grumpy Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.