Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Alaska June 11-18, 2012 - Pictures, Pictures, Pictures

Eventually, I will retrofit this first post with a Table of Links, .... and a better introduction ... but for now, I will just start posting pictures...

The always beautiful, ever impressive Tracy Arm - one of 4 "calvings" we saw (the white spray at the waterline)

... and for those who are into all things Alaska, click here for a link to last year's complete report on the disboards

================================================

Table of Links

Amtrak - Buffalo NY to Seattle, WA

A Day in Seattle before the Cruise

Seattle - Out and About on the Town

Embarking on the Wonder

Skagway - White Pass Railroad and Bike Down from Fraser Pass

Skagway, continued

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier

Juneau - Whale Watching

Juneau - Whale Watching, continued

Ketchikan - Snorkeling

Ketchikan - Snorkeling, part 2

Ketchikan - Snorkeling conclusion

Tracy Arm Part 1

Tracy Arm Part 2

Tracy Arm Part 3

Tracy Arm Part 4

Tracy Arm Part 5

Tracy Arm Part 6

Issac Walton Inn - Our Caboose

Issac Walton Inn

Issac Walton - Dining, Decorations, Surroundings

Issac Walton - walking outside

Caboose Kids....

Glacier National Park (GNP) - Getting started

Glacier National Park - Part 2

Glacier National Park - continued

Glacier National Park - Logan Pass

Glacier National Park, conclusion

Last edited by ehagerty; 09-03-2012 at 08:41 PM.
ehagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Getting started - family train trip to Seattle

This was a multi-segment, multi-family vacation - starting with taking the train to Seattle......

My parents are seasoned train travellers - although their last train trip was nearly 20 years ago! This was a first for my older sister - and an opportunity to relax with my youngest brother's family.

Waiting in the train station
- DS22, DS24

Bringing our luggage on the train

Settling into our seats - DS22

Breaking out the deck of cards

.... in the lounge car - DN9, DB40-ish

Dining while watching the small towns go by - DB, DN6 (Maucaley Caulkin look-alike - should play him in "Son of Home Alone")

Relaxing with mom (who is not cooking, or at work) - DN11, DSiL

Enjoying complimentary champagne

Or dinner, with a free bottle of wine given away at a wine and cheese tasting

Sidebar - the wine tasting was a real slice - the attendants literally read the label on the back of the bottle - unfortunately, on this particular bottle, what was written as "with notes of anise" was read aloud as "with notes of anus", which resulted in no end of merriment and riffing at our table ("well, that stinks" - "must be a crappy wine"... you get the idea) - weeks later, it still makes me laugh out loud - as a matter of fact, the malaprop was such a hit, I really think they should read it that way every time, on purpose!

Breakfast, in anticipation of sailing with Mickey

Looking out the back of the train

Sunset over Montana

Last edited by ehagerty; 07-26-2012 at 10:33 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

I absolutely adore riding the train! Took a trip from Miami to Oakland (via D.C. and Chicago) and was just plastered to the window in my sleeper for much of the trip. So beautiful to watch nature unspoiled. On my return, two gentleman who were in the same sleeper car as me were also on a Miami to Chicago trip with me about a year prior...and we all remembered each other! That was fun, and we ate pretty much all our meals together.

Ok, getting back to your trip...looking forward to hearing all about Alaska!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

You meet the nicest people on trains....

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
I absolutely adore riding the train! Took a trip from Miami to Oakland (via D.C. and Chicago) and was just plastered to the window in my sleeper for much of the trip. So beautiful to watch nature unspoiled. On my return, two gentleman who were in the same sleeper car as me were also on a Miami to Chicago trip with me about a year prior...and we all remembered each other! That was fun, and we ate pretty much all our meals together.

Ok, getting back to your trip...looking forward to hearing all about Alaska!
That was pretty much my summary from my VIA Rail trip from Toronto to Vancouver last year! I could do a comparison of various dimension between the two experiences, but most people don't have the ease of that option like we do, living near Niagara Falls, NY.

Hope you enjoy the "ride" of the trip report. I have many pictures to post!

Old 07-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Seattle - how to spend a fun day before sailing - hotel and lunch

Well - we arrived at the Amtrak station around 11:00 - about one half hour after scheduled arrival. This was pretty good, but not quite perfect for my mega-plan for the car service to shuttle 12 people in relays of 4 people from train station to Pan Pacific Hotel to Church (St James Cathedral for noon Mass) and back. 3 of us missed Mass, but we accepted the fact the 9 made it as a very good thing. Nonetheless, by the time everyone returned from Mass, paid the driver, etc we were more than willing to do something easy for lunch - like go downstairs from the Pan Pacific to the Whole Foods in the same complex for lunch.

Whole Foods for lunch - had something for everyone.....

...for my brother's family, it had variety and familiarity (since they live in proximity to one in Columbus Ohio)

.... for my parents and sister - it had variety and quality

... for my sons (and brother, and father), it had an excellent range of beers

... for DH, it had COFFEE

... and for a friend of 40+ years (who lives in Seattle), it had a time a place to visit (one of these days, I will learn to stop providing verbal directions, hence the lip pucker, to the photographer with my camera, before the shot is taken.... I have a LOT of this type of picture....)

We were also very happy with our Priceline Pan Pacific, both on quality and price

Last edited by ehagerty; 07-26-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Seattle - all settled in, out and about on the town

Our day-time view from the Pan Pacific

Exploring Seattle - on foot

DN11 showing her track form

Taking the ferry to Bainbridge Island
(bought a "ten pack" - worked out to about $6.20 per person, round trip)

I have to say, I have been in Seattle 4 days in my life. Each of those days was (a) sunny, (b) 70's, and (c) had a clear view of Mt Rainier. My friend says this is not normal...

Seattle skyline

Walking the piers at sunset

View of the needle from our hotel room, at night

Last edited by ehagerty; 07-20-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Gorgeous shots of Mt. Rainier! And I totally agree with Whole Foods - it's one of those places everyone can find something in.

30 minutes late on Amtrak? That's pretty darn good!

Old 07-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

You take some of the most beautiful photographs. Can't wait to see and hear more.

Jill in CO
Old 07-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Embarking on the Wonder out of Seattle - June 11

I was not expecting this, but there was a complimentary (free!!) shuttle from the Pan Pacific to Pier 91. I went down to get more details and there was a shuttle leaving then with one other person. I hopped in with the intention of getting the checkin process started at the pier, calling back to the other "planners" with this happy state of affairs.

The check-in facility was more Disney-like than the Vancouver set-up...

Boarding is via ramp...

...but once on board, there are many familiar scenes / images...

As well as views you can only see from Seattle

Looking back toward Seattle, after leaving the harbor (needle on left, Rainier on right)

Last edited by ehagerty; 07-20-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Gorgeous shots of Mt. Rainier! And I totally agree with Whole Foods - it's one of those places everyone can find something in.

30 minutes late on Amtrak? That's pretty darn good!
Thanks - do you take Amtrak often?

Old 07-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
You take some of the most beautiful photographs. Can't wait to see and hear more.

Jill in CO
Thank you - I remember you from another post (Dec 2010 - complimenting a CM from your town) - many more pictures to come!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Looking forward to more of your TR!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #13
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Joining in! It is so fun to read a big-family report like this! And I could have read an entire TR about your train journey. I have always wanted to do one - maybe DD and I will book a train trip sometime. Could be fun!

Quote:
I have to say, I have been in Seattle 4 days in my life. Each of those days was (a) sunny, (b) 70's, (c) clear view of Mt Rainier. My friend says this is not normal...
As a native of the Pacific Northwest, I agree with your friend!! That is truly remarkable.
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #14
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

The terminal definitely looks a step above Vancouver! And more gorgeous shots of Seattle and Mt. Rainier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
Thanks - do you take Amtrak often?
I have not been on Amtrak in a few years, but when I was going to school in Miami, and also when I first moved to Jacksonville after that, it was my mode of transportation back home to Chicago. I love the train! Nature unspoiled (Pennsylvania is incredible), and very difficult for anyone to find me for a few days! Peace, quiet, and relaxation! And the stop in Washington D.C. was always a treat. I typically visited one museum/site during each stop. Capitol Building, Smithsonian Museums, White House, etc. And to this day, I still think D.C.'s First Class Lounge is the best!

Old 07-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
scrapbooker79
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
I was not expecting this, but there was a complimentary shuttle from the Pan Pacific to Pier 91. I went down to get more detals and there was a shuttle leaving then with one other person. I hopped in with the intention of getting the checkin process started at the pier, calling back to the other "planners" with this happy state of affairs.

I was on the June 11th to Alaska, too! As a resident of the Seattle area, I can't believe what a bonehead I am for not getting pictures of Mt Rainier!!! I'm a first-time cruiser, and was still taking it all in. We got separated from my sister, my daughter, and my mom, so I spent the sail away party on the upper deck looking for them. I wish I would have gotten better pics, because the day we left Seattle has the best weather of the whole trip! (and actually, I feel we got really lucky with the weather in the ports. Ketchikan was the only city we had rain! )

First-time cruiser and it's on the Disney Wonder, Alaska June 11, 2012! Somebody pinch me!
scrapbooker79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: