Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
meandmygirl
Mouseketeer

Tours/Day Trips

Today it is me that is sick. I am a Nurse so I have self diagnosed a case of laryngitis lol.

A question regarding tours and day trips. Do you book them before you leave or do you wait until you are there and then decide? I want to have as much as possible paid for and booked before we leave but then worried if I book it in for a certain day that it won't work once we are actually there.

The trips I want to do are to Legoland and a LA/Hollywood tour. Still undecided on Universal Studios - I think DD might be a bit young.

Any advice?

meandmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmygirl View Post
Today it is me that is sick. I am a Nurse so I have self diagnosed a case of laryngitis lol.

A question regarding tours and day trips. Do you book them before you leave or do you wait until you are there and then decide? I want to have as much as possible paid for and booked before we leave but then worried if I book it in for a certain day that it won't work once we are actually there.

The trips I want to do are to Legoland and a LA/Hollywood tour. Still undecided on Universal Studios - I think DD might be a bit young.

Any advice?
I booked things before we went last time, and will likely do the same again this time.
It's nice to have things organised and paid for then you have a fair idea what you have left to spend, and by researching before you go your more likely (I think) to find the cheapest and not get caught up in the moment and end up spending more than you might otherwise.

If you're going to visit Legoland you can buy vouchers on Ebay for buy an adult ticket get a child's ticket free, it's a good deal
Universal Studio's our DS was nearly 4 and it was a bit too old for him, another friend took her 5 year old DD and said it was a bit old for her also.
LA/Hollywood, I still haven't done one of these tours, so not quite sure what goes.

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
meandmygirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
If you're going to visit Legoland you can buy vouchers on Ebay for buy an adult ticket get a child's ticket free, it's a good deal
Thanks for the tip. Will look into that today.

I am thinking we will give Universal a miss. DD turns 7 while we are there so might leave it until the next trip Plus Mum is not a big tv/movie person so would have no idea what anything is/was.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
BigDisneyOE
DIS Veteran

I know you don't visit the cruise meet thread regularly but we can't book until tomorrow for the excursions etc - it's mid afternoon time in NZ. It's the 10th in EST not our time, so another day or so wait.

We aren't doing Universal, the kids are too young. We will be doing Legoland as we are staying over the road - we think we are going to be going there a lot with Lego obsessed kids.

BigDisneyOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
meandmygirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I know you don't visit the cruise meet thread regularly but we can't book until tomorrow for the excursions etc - it's mid afternoon time in NZ. It's the 10th in EST not our time, so another day or so wait.
I forget about that thread. Too much else to look at and read. I had worked it out that I could book about 6pm (my time) today - oh well, give or take half a day, not really going to matter is it?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
BigDisneyOE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmygirl View Post
I forget about that thread. Too much else to look at and read. I had worked it out that I could book about 6pm (my time) today - oh well, give or take half a day, not really going to matter is it?
I don't think so, it's a completely undersold cruise! Nice as we'll all have a quiet boat and the kids will all get more of a chance at character time.

BigDisneyOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

I always like to have everything booked and paid for in advance. Our days are all planned out as well. That just helps me feel in control and organised.

Then once I'm on the holiday, other than the fixed tours, I am happy to go with the flow but everything works around pre booked stuff. Otherwise we mightn't get up and out the door early each day.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
meandmygirl
Mouseketeer

BigDisneyOE - cruise activities are open for booking! Mine are done. Woo hoo - another thing to cross off the list.

Just waiting on Mum to get home from work to run the other day trips past her then will book those tonight.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:38 AM   #9
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

Try anheim411.com which is Anaheim tour Company. Have lots of day tours from Anaheim both large and small. Cannot recommend enough. We have done Hollywood/LA an Warners Bros. pictures of the day in my Aulani/Disney trip report about page 10. Have also had friends to outlet shopping trips as well. Get a real local viewpoint.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
meandmygirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Well, I was wrong (that is why I am a Nurse and not a Dr lol) and I have a chest infection.

Thanks, areweindisneyyet, will look at that. I keep changing my mind on the tours.

Do you have a link to your trip report?

Old 07-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
miss.potatohead
Mouseketeer

When we went to California, we booked our tours (Universal, LA, San Diego Zoo) through Southern California Grayline Anaheim. Granted it was in the middle of January so very quiet times, but we booked two or so days in advance. Our hotel was nice enough to call and book for us and do the confirmation calls the night before the tours. I think all it depends on your level of planning, we knew we wanted to go to those places, but weren't sure which days would be best for each, but the hotel front desk were able to help us with that!

PS. Hope you are feeling better soon! On the up side, more time to research and plan for your trip
miss.potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #12
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2841778 is the link to my trip report.

As Warner bros is a live set they do look at the age. We weren't asked for ID but DD is an average sized 10 yo so no one asked. Email the company. Tom was the part owner who took care of us and is very helpful.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
ExcitedSam
Mouseketeer

We have decided against universal too as our youngest is only 4. As much as I would love to go!

Do you need to do a Hollywood tour to see everything? We will have a car and plan on driving there and walking around. Also taking DD's to the American Girl store. Is Driving there and parking doable?

I think the only other place we plan on going is Sea World in San Diego, again not sure if we will take a bus down there so DH doesn't have to drive or just drive?

Legoland, is it just a theme park? I don't think we'd be interested in more rides etc.. Is there something we would be missing?

Sorry meandmygirl, I've just hijacked your thread!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
meandmygirl
Mouseketeer

I am thinking we might leave the WB Studio tour until next time. DD is quite tall for her age so would pass for an 8 year old but I would hate to be turned away.

Mum isn't into tv/movies so wouldn't have a clue what anything was anyway

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: