Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #16
Tara2004
Mouseketeer

We arrived at LAX at 7am and arrived at the Embassy ( 2 blocks from the airport. ) at 9 am. I fell asleep 1 hour later with the kids for around 5 hours. At 3 pm we woke up. What stuffed us was traveling to Orlando and the time difference again.

With the 2 kids it took 2 hours through LAX. Tara got really sick on landing and vomited at LAX, so we got rushed through a few lines because of it.

It's quite hard to get kids ready by park opening, but you need to get there early otherwise all the fast passes can be all given out. Not sure if that happens at Disneyland, but does at Disney world. We missed Soarin' in Orlando because we arrived at 10:30am. All fast passes where gone and it was a 2 hour wait in line.

I would look at the rides on YouTube and work out height requirements for the rides. From there I would work out what fast passes are important to get first. Then take the fast pass and figure out where you would like to go until your fast pass time is due. Make sure when you arrive you grab the park map and the times sheet ( Character times, parade times show times etc. ) If your dd2 has her heart set on seeing a princess I would make time to arrive there early. Those lines can take ages. I think the quickest one was at night to see the fairies.

2001 WDW ( POP century )
2013 WDW ( Boardwalk, AKL ) Disneyland Anaheim
2014 Oct, Disneyland Anaheim in the planning
Tara2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #17
Beee
Mouseketeer

oh how familiar this all sounds I call DP "Mr no opinion" he is happy to leave everything to me which is fine mostly as I am an uber planner with major control freak tendencies (yeah I'm really fun to be around ). But it would be nice to be able to bounce ideas off him a bit and get a real feel for what he wants to do, I've guessed at a few things I think he will enjoy but I am going to be really brassed off if on that day he is thinking man this sucks I really wanted to go to xyz....

for what its worth so far this is my plan:
Sunday arrive LAX at 10.30, have a vague idea that we will hopefully arrive at DLH at 12-1pm?.. Check in, leave bags if room isn't ready, lunch somewhere in DTD, I will go and get my AP (DP & DD have 5 day hoppers), photopass thingamy, then walmart/target by taxi to buy snacks for the week ahead and sim cards for phones if we haven't sorted that already. Back to DLH for earlyish dinner (5.30-6ish) at goofy's then an early night.
Monday DCA EE - still working on the actual ride plan... Carthay Circle for lunch then DL for the afternoon then back to DCA for WOC.
Tuesday DL EE - plan to spend most of the day here that day and do Fireworks & Fantasmic if it is on that night
Wednesday - DCA EE and DCA most of the day, am assuming by this point my energy will be flagging so trying to get the late nights out of the way early...so an early night for me at least
Thursday - DL EE, and at this point it really depends how much we've seen so far, it'll either be finishing up whatever we haven't done in both parks or revisiting what we really loved.
Friday - check out of DLH, character breakfast (either PPH or Minnie's) and one last chance to ride a few things if we want to. After that we're off to LA, and have loosely scheduled things but still trying to convince DP he can safely drive in LA which will make things much easier and we can fit more in. Friday afternoon I've scheduled hollywood so that could be a quick walk around if we've left DL after lunch or seeing a bit more if we've left in the morning.
Saturday - california science center for the day and olvera st late afternoon & dinner
Sunday - Griffith Observatory, maybe american girl for DD if we've hired a car, maybe a drive around beverly hills etc
Monday - fly out early to Hawaii where I intend to do alot of shopping, swimming and lazing by the pool so not planned anything at all beyond that.

For DL I am playing around with touringplans to map things out and I'm also still trying to figure out where we'll want to eat (I am gluten free so need a bit of a plan re food so I am not starving the whole time) as that will in turn dictate where we are at certain points etc.
I get tired really easily so am trying to plan round that as best I can, assuming that I am going to flare up at some point on the trip (planning for worst case scenario hoping for the best!) so trying to factor in a wee bit of down time while still seeing everything we can. I'm guessing that would be a similar scenario for your youngest, needing to plan in a bit of quiet time for her to recharge her batteries.

Beee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2012, 06:19 AM   #18
ExcitedSam
Mouseketeer

There is NO way I can be that close and not go in! Even if it is just for a look! It was only $5 or $10 bucks for the extra day!

Bec- I have bought the photo+ package so I have to go get a special card. We get a CD with all the photos taken around the park including ride and character photos.

We are normally early risers, 7am is a sleep in! So I'm hoping it will still be the case?

Sue, Just to confirm, AG is character dining at all meals? Definitely want to ride the toy story ride and even though it'll scare the you know what's out of me, I want to go on Tower of Terror!

What should I do Sunday? DL or DCA? Originally we were getting there Sunday, and have the whole week there, but we had to come a day earlier to get the cheap flights.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #19
Aust
DIS Veteran

OK, being the obsessive planner that I am, I've done you a spreadsheet - PM me if you want me to email it to you, there's probably a bit much detail to put in here!

Otherwise I'll try to fit it all in some posts.
2007 DLR (DLH)
1991 DL Tokyo
Aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
Caroline NZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcitedSam View Post
and even though it'll scare the you know what's out of me, I want to go on Tower of Terror!

TOT terrified me too, but oh so much fun. It is now one of my favourite rides, such a buzz
Sep/Oct 2013 - 5 weeks California & surrounds road trip, ending of course in Disneyland
Jan 2015 - First trip to WDW planned!
Caroline NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #21
ExcitedSam
Mouseketeer

Bec- I missed your big post! Is target/Walmart far? I was thinking about doing the same thing. We also have to pick up a car seat, which is cheaper to buy than hire!
I understand the food/tired thing. I have Crohns and while I'm generally well I never know if something is going to upset me!

Lucky you for having EE every day, I'd love to stay at DLH but just out of our budget. We'll have 1 DL EE.

We are also doing LA and other areas, but when get back from traveling around and basing ourselves in Anaheim. DH is driving (after planning for almost a year he only asked me yesterday if I booked an automatic car!) we are also thinking about a trip to SeaWorld in San Diego. We are definitely going to AG store, my oldest DD has one and loves it! We'll eat there too not sure if lunch or dinner yet.

What is the height limit for TOT my DD who is 9 is thinking she ants to try it too!? I think it might be too scary for her!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #22
shushh
DIS Veteran

Excited Sam I haven't read the whole thread but if you don't need the carseat straight from the airport then you can shop online beforehand and get it delivered to your hotel. Saves a lot of time!
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #23
Caroline NZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcitedSam View Post
What is the height limit for TOT my DD who is 9 is thinking she ants to try it too!? I think it might be too scary for her!
I think the height limit is 40 inches ( so children as young as 3-4 ride it - but I wouldn't have let our children ride when they were that age).

In 2011 my son then aged 9 was fine with the ride. My daughter then aged 6 DIDNOT like it!
It depends on the child, what some might find terrifying, others find exciting.
I would say let your daughter make the decision
Sep/Oct 2013 - 5 weeks California & surrounds road trip, ending of course in Disneyland
Jan 2015 - First trip to WDW planned!
Caroline NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #24
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline NZ View Post
I think the height limit is 40 inches ( so children as young as 3-4 ride it - but I wouldn't have let our children ride when they were that age).

In 2011 my son then aged 9 was fine with the ride. My daughter then aged 6 DIDNOT like it!
Last year, our DD then aged 6 rode ToT at WDW and was fine on it and in fact was the person chosen on the ride to be the one that the ghosts wanted to take!!
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #25
Tara2004
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beee View Post
oh how familiar this all sounds I call DP "Mr no opinion" he is happy to leave everything to me which is fine mostly as I am an uber planner with major control freak tendencies (yeah I'm really fun to be around ). But it would be nice to be able to bounce ideas off him a bit and get a real feel for what he wants to do, I've guessed at a few things I think he will enjoy but I am going to be really brassed off if on that day he is thinking man this sucks I really wanted to go to xyz....

for what its worth so far this is my plan:
Sunday arrive LAX at 10.30, have a vague idea that we will hopefully arrive at DLH at 12-1pm?.. Check in, leave bags if room isn't ready, lunch somewhere in DTD, I will go and get my AP (DP & DD have 5 day hoppers), photopass thingamy, then walmart/target by taxi to buy snacks for the week ahead and sim cards for phones if we haven't sorted that already. Back to DLH for earlyish dinner (5.30-6ish) at goofy's then an early night.
Monday DCA EE - still working on the actual ride plan... Carthay Circle for lunch then DL for the afternoon then back to DCA for WOC.
Tuesday DL EE - plan to spend most of the day here that day and do Fireworks & Fantasmic if it is on that night
Wednesday - DCA EE and DCA most of the day, am assuming by this point my energy will be flagging so trying to get the late nights out of the way early...so an early night for me at least
Thursday - DL EE, and at this point it really depends how much we've seen so far, it'll either be finishing up whatever we haven't done in both parks or revisiting what we really loved.
Friday - check out of DLH, character breakfast (either PPH or Minnie's) and one last chance to ride a few things if we want to. After that we're off to LA, and have loosely scheduled things but still trying to convince DP he can safely drive in LA which will make things much easier and we can fit more in. Friday afternoon I've scheduled hollywood so that could be a quick walk around if we've left DL after lunch or seeing a bit more if we've left in the morning.
Saturday - california science center for the day and olvera st late afternoon & dinner
Sunday - Griffith Observatory, maybe american girl for DD if we've hired a car, maybe a drive around beverly hills etc
Monday - fly out early to Hawaii where I intend to do alot of shopping, swimming and lazing by the pool so not planned anything at all beyond that.

For DL I am playing around with touringplans to map things out and I'm also still trying to figure out where we'll want to eat (I am gluten free so need a bit of a plan re food so I am not starving the whole time) as that will in turn dictate where we are at certain points etc.
I get tired really easily so am trying to plan round that as best I can, assuming that I am going to flare up at some point on the trip (planning for worst case scenario hoping for the best!) so trying to factor in a wee bit of down time while still seeing everything we can. I'm guessing that would be a similar scenario for your youngest, needing to plan in a bit of quiet time for her to recharge her batteries.
Did you just say you are gluten free. Are you a Celiac like me? Im off to Disney in feb/march and found disney great for GF. Pitty its not that easy out of disney. I found Publix the best supermarket for GF. Wallmart was pretty hopeless.

2001 WDW ( POP century )
Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #26
Tara2004
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=ExcitedSam;45451536]Bec- I missed your big post! Is target/Walmart far? I was thinking about doing the same thing. We also have to pick up a car seat, which is cheaper to buy than hire!
I understand the food/tired thing. I have Crohns and while I'm generally well I never know if something is going to upset me!

Lucky you for having EE every day, I'd love to stay at DLH but just out of our budget. We'll have 1 DL EE.

We are also doing LA and other areas, but when get back from traveling around and basing ourselves in Anaheim. DH is driving (after planning for almost a year he only asked me yesterday if I booked an automatic car!) we are also thinking about a trip to SeaWorld in San Diego. We are definitely going to AG store, my oldest DD has one and loves it! We'll eat there too not sure if lunch or dinner yet.

Target is just out the front door where I am staying ( Hilton homeward suites ) Its about 2 blocks from disneyland I think. More a drive than a walk. It has its own kitchen so I can make GF food. Plus target has food, and the restaurants out he front have GF on the menu too. The Hilton have a shuttle bus to disney, so we are taking that. The car rental place we went to had booster seats. Not sure on the name of the place. Will ask DH.

Sam, I found Tara at 7 was more freaked out on rides than Jake at 3.5. Jakes a dare devil

2001 WDW ( POP century )
Old 07-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #27
ExcitedSam
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Awesome! It'll be a see on the day kind of thing though I think

We wont have a car until the Th afternoon we leave Friday morning. I could get a car seat delivered, but what would be the fun in that!? must shop!!
Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 AM   #28
Beee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara2004 View Post
Did you just say you are gluten free. Are you a Celiac like me? Im off to Disney in feb/march and found disney great for GF. Pitty its not that easy out of disney. I found Publix the best supermarket for GF. Wallmart was pretty hopeless.
No I am not celiac but it was recommended to me for my arthritis that I go gluten free, I haven't been GF for long (man alive it is hard!) But I already find I am not as fatigued which is a huge thing for me, usually I spend my entire weekend recovering from the working week but I have more energy now so it is worth that alone. Good to know about walmart, I think in my internet travels I saw that there is a wholefoods store close to DL as well so that could be another option. My current plan is that I will stock up on snacky GF things that first day so at least I can eat something throughout the week, I have only eaten out once since going GF and that was such a stressful experience so I'm a bit terrified of how I'll go in LA & Hawaii where we'll be eating out for every meal.
Sam as Tara said the target is about 2 blocks away but US blocks apparently are huge so not really walkable, the walmart is a bit further up the road so the plan is to taxi as I'm not planning to hire a car until we leave DL. Oh and yes DLH is not really in our budget either but I was sold on the EE every day so we will have to make up the difference staying somewhere cheaper for the few nights we are in LA

Beee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:59 AM   #29
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

wow, this all sounds familiar... every time i say honey, i want to discuss trip stuff, he falls asleep. like, literally i'll be talking, and he starts to glaze over and then just dozes and gets really sleepy. great for him, not so great for me.

now i've told him that if he wants to do something in the parks he can just go off and do it. i will then just follow along with my little plan.

i just had one of those moments where i started to completely change our entire trip to try and fit something in/get a better deal etc... had to back track and decide to stick with the original plan
Old 07-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #30
ExcitedSam
Mouseketeer

AUST - PM'd you, did you get it?

Alicia - I have changed my mind sooo many times! Originally we were doing Hawaii on the way home, but then I decided it's easy to do a trip from here to there separately, so included Vegas, GC and Phoenix(so DH can visit Cabelas store mind you!) instead.

Karlie - I've looked up target and Walmart, I'm assuming the one in Garden Grove you are talking about? I saw there is one in the opposite direction with a Walmart close by!.... Does the ART go to the one in GG? Having said that though, on checking out the website the stuff I'm looking at is online only at Target. Will target take a aust CC so I can get it delivered to our hotel?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: