DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
wishicouldgomoreofte
Mouseketeer

I have also seen alligators at WDW several times, including in MK twice, once beneath the bridge near Splash Mtn, the one further back, not the one you stand on to watch them drop and get splashed. The guard was watching it while the "relocation crew" was assembling and doing stuff. All the comotion and people watching, talking, pointing of course drew our attention. They take it in stride, as it is a reality they deal with without causing negative PR. (Like the relocating vultures negative PR.) WDW is a hopping place. Lots to deal with and keep quiet.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #17
Sammie
DIS Veteran

I agree with Bill the pigmy rattlers and water mocassins concern me more than the Gators.

I will say though that recent photo of one in Florida, at someone's door was scary.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #18
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Every time I've gone to a golf course with DH, we've seen gators. Other than that, I've only seen one in 34 trips to WDW, swimming under the bridge to Dinoland at AK.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
Shazzasmd
Mouseketeer

We live on a swamp in South Florida - see gators all the time. Only once have we seen one anywhere near our back door. Almost always see them on the golf course. Kind of creepy - yes. But by using common sense and normal safety precautions - don't let kids play at the water's edge, stick to the lighted paths, etc., you should be okay. Like others have said, the snakes creep me out more.

The largest gators I've ever seen were on some of the undeveloped WDW property many years ago. We were driving through on dirt roads checking out some ongoing construction and there were many prehistoric monsters - well over 10 ft long and big around as logs. We were told they would be transported to more remote areas as construction developed.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #20
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

There's a sad story in the news this AM about a boy who was attacked while swimming in the Caloosahatchee River, just west of Lake Okeechobee. He lost part of his arm below the elbow. The forearm was recovered, but the medical staff was not able to re-attach it. He's recovering at Lee Memorial Hospital in Ft. Myers
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #21
MsTessP
Mouseketeer

I've been told "if you see a body of water here in FL - anything from a large puddle or small stream to a large lake or river - assume that there are gators in it".

We are considering moving to FL when we retire, but I'm very concerned about living on a lakeside property because of our dog - even though she is a big dog (75 lbs).
Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #22
Ms.Minnie
Earning My Ears

I always look but never see any gators when we at Disney World. I would love to see one but at the same time if I ever do I hope there is a safe distance between the gator and me. Call me chicken if you will but I would love to see one just not up close and personal!
Ms.Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #23
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

If you'd like to see one, I almost always see one or two on the way to WDW, looking out the window of the DME bus by the little ponds.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #24
Sammie
DIS Veteran

And don't forget they are at HHI too, this is the story about the one at someone 's door in 2006. I guess it is a good warning about grilling out.

Not for those that have gator phobia.

http://www.voccoquan.com/ephemera/ga...the%20door.htm
Old 07-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #25
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
And don't forget they are at HHI too, this is the story about the one at someone 's door in 2006. I guess it is a good warning about grilling out.

Not for those that have gator phobia.

http://www.voccoquan.com/ephemera/ga...the%20door.htm
That would freak me out.

But like another PP I am more worried about the snakes. I am still traumatized by the story a few years ago about the boy who was bit by a snake at CB.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....n+bit+by+snake
Old 07-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #26
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
That would freak me out.

But like another PP I am more worried about the snakes. I am still traumatized by the story a few years ago about the boy who was bit by a snake at CB.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....n+bit+by+snake
Yes every time I see kids playing in the shrubs or cutting through them instead of staying on the path, I think of that. I am amazed at how many people think that would never happen at Disney.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #27
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes every time I see kids playing in the shrubs or cutting through them instead of staying on the path, I think of that. I am amazed at how many people think that would never happen at Disney.
Good to see this warning. I knew about the gators, although we have never seen any, but I honestly knew nothing about the poisonous snakes. We have 4 boys who are always running around, so I now know how important it is to stay on the paths. Thanks!:
Old 07-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #28
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
I agree with Bill the pigmy rattlers and water mocassins concern me more than the Gators.

I will say though that recent photo of one in Florida, at someone's door was scary.
WDW is in Florida, so of course there are snakes there. Actually, snakes are much more numerous than alligators -- they are everywhere, wet or dry.

The vast majority of snakes are non-venomous, but there are at least 4 venomous species at WDW: Eastern Diamondback (largest and most dangerous venomous snake in North America), Water Moccasin (cottonmouth), Pygmy Rattlesnake, and Coral Snake. I would not be surprised to learn that there are also Canebrake Rattlesnakes and Copperheads there as well, but not sure about that.

Like most wild animals, snakes are not looking for encounters with humans, so we often walk right by them without noticing them. They are ambush hunters, so they lie motionless with some cover until something to eat comes along. When we approach, they just freeze and we don't see them, but if they are startled or harassed (in their opinion -- doesn't matter what our intentions are) they might bite. That's why Sammie's advice to keep kids from poking into or cutting through brushy areas is important.

Contrary to the old wives tales you hear, it's very difficult to tell whether a snake is venomous by appearance. There is just too much variation within species, and some non-venomous snakes look very similar. The general rule is, if you can see definitive proof that a snake is venomous you are WAY too close.

In addition, just because a snake is non-venomous doesn't mean it won't bite. Any wild animal will bite, and some non-venomous snakes (brown water snake, African rock python, reticulated python) are very aggressive biters, much more aggressive than any venomous snake.

If you see a snake, just stay a few feet away and you'll be fine.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #29
kid-at-heart
DIS Veteran

Opps

kid-at-heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #30
londonderrydisneyfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The year before the boy got bit my kids were running through the shrubs at BCV and I told them to stop, but that was because I didn't want them to damage the shrubs not because I thought they could get hurt. Now I make sure they stay as close to the middle of the sidewalk as possible, my wife laughs at me but I can't help it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: