Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #61
the_bUg
Mouseketeer

Can anyone explain to the uninitiated what all this means? I just booked my first DCL cruise yesterday... actually, my first cruise ever. When booking, I selected the room# for my class 5A, deck 10, room 10554. I presumed this was a room reservation... What is a GTY? What is VGT?
Do upgrades happen? Do DOWNGRADES happen???

Another question I have is, I've chosen a location closer to stairs/elevator for convenience... Is there much of a noise issue in an area such as this? are there other drawbacks I haven't considered?
Old 07-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #62
disneychic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthasor View Post
We are on the NYC 2-night leaving on July 13 and, at 10 days out, I still don't have a room assignment. We are in a 9C GTY. I hope we hear soon. If we are upgraded to a balcony, my DH might consider going, but I have a feeling we won't and we are so close, there may not be room in our muster station anyway. Oh well - DS4 and I will have fun no matter where we are!
Wow. 10 days!!! So, you've received your cruise docs and everything with no room assignment?! I would be checking every 15 minutes!
disneychic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #63
pjmjsj
Mouseketeer

We sail in october. I booked an 8d gty and just this past Friday, I got an email from dcl saying 'congrats on booking your cruise'. I was nervous that I accidentally booked Another cruise because I had been pricing out other cruises Thursday night. In reading the email tho, I noticed it was for the oct 7th cruise with a room assignment...I got an 8d. An upgrade would be nice but I'm so excited that we're getting closer to our trip!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #64
JennLK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL

Us too-- waiting on a VGT for 8/5 Dream as well!

Hard not to keep checking... but I also read on another thread that even after a cabin number appears, it can change again before sailing-- anyone else heard of that happening?
From personal past experience.... Igt/out/vgt normally get assigned around 14 days out

Cruise: Fantasy 8/14 * MSC Divina 4/14 * Norwegian Breakaway 1/14 * Magic 11/13 * Fantasy 9/12 * Dream 1/12 * Dream 2/11
WDW: Off-site (Bonnet Creek) 01/13 and 11/11 SSR 1/11 and CSR/CBR 12/06-1/07
JennLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #65
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bUg View Post
Can anyone explain to the uninitiated what all this means? I just booked my first DCL cruise yesterday... actually, my first cruise ever. When booking, I selected the room# for my class 5A, deck 10, room 10554. I presumed this was a room reservation... What is a GTY? What is VGT?
Do upgrades happen? Do DOWNGRADES happen???

Another question I have is, I've chosen a location closer to stairs/elevator for convenience... Is there much of a noise issue in an area such as this? are there other drawbacks I haven't considered?
Hi! First off, congrats on booking your cruise!

GTY means a person booked their cruise, but only for a category and not an actual stateroom location. They will receive at worst the category booked, and possibly (although not often) they could receive an upgrade to a better category. Those who booked specific staterooms could also receive an upgrade to a better/higher category, unless they have it noted on their reservation not to be moved from their stateroom or to be upgraded. No one is ever downgraded though!

VGT/OGT/IGT are special discounts DCL offers and are guarantees of a particular class of stateroom (inside, ocean view, or verandah) but not of a category within that class. You can be assigned to any category in that class (or a higher class). These are a crapshoot because if you book an IGT, you may end up in an 11D, which is the lowest category or you could end up in a 10B (much better inside) or even ocean view. The discount is often worth it though to take a shot at whatever is given to you!

We have booked staterooms near elevators in the past, and have not had issues with noise. Actually it is nice to have that convenience!

Hope this helps!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #66
the_bUg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Hi! First off, congrats on booking your cruise!

GTY means a person booked their cruise, but only for a category and not an actual stateroom location. They will receive at worst the category booked, and possibly (although not often) they could receive an upgrade to a better category. Those who booked specific staterooms could also receive an upgrade to a better/higher category, unless they have it noted on their reservation not to be moved from their stateroom or to be upgraded. No one is ever downgraded though!

VGT/OGT/IGT are special discounts DCL offers and are guarantees of a particular class of stateroom (inside, ocean view, or verandah) but not of a category within that class. You can be assigned to any category in that class (or a higher class). These are a crapshoot because if you book an IGT, you may end up in an 11D, which is the lowest category or you could end up in a 10B (much better inside) or even ocean view. The discount is often worth it though to take a shot at whatever is given to you!

We have booked staterooms near elevators in the past, and have not had issues with noise. Actually it is nice to have that convenience!

Hope this helps!
Awesome! Thanks for demystifying it. I actually just got off the phone with a Disney cruise rep who clarified a couple items for me, including that since I had selected a stateroom# during my reservation process, I was guaranteed that room#. I was also impressed that she knew off the cuff that I'm in class 05A just based off the room number I provided!

As it happens, I'm right near the stairs/elevator on deck 10, below where the pools are! Should be nice and convenient! Hopefully I'll be right near the entrance to the aqua-duck so I can stumble out of bed in the morning and go for a sliiiide!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #67
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Is it me or does it seem like everyone is getting the same cat they were gty?
No complaints just observing and hoping for a better pixie dust filled trend.

On a bright note they just opened some cat 6 gty on my cruise about 100 more the only question is can I talk DH into it hmmmmmm
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #68
tinkattu6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosermama View Post
Is it me or does it seem like everyone is getting the same cat they were gty?
No complaints just observing and hoping for a better pixie dust filled trend.

On a bright note they just opened some cat 6 gty on my cruise about 100 more the only question is can I talk DH into it hmmmmmm
Leaving in 10 days and we were a GTY 11C booked onboard last July. About 30 days ago we got our room assignment for a 5A - so don't loose hope the Pixie dust is in the air. We are still in shock as things like that never happen to us.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #69
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

We just booked us another cruise YAY! We booked a GTY for the May 18 EBTA from Galveston to Barcelona, I know it is a loooong time away so this thread might be closed before I get a room assignment...LOL
AAshleySEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #70
timandlesley
The tag fairy may not but the Tag Genie does!!!

Sign me up, booked a GTY yesterday for the 8/4 sailing on the Fantasy, I am soooooooooo excited I could scream!!! I can't wait to get our assignment!!!!
Lesley

ALL NEW"Keep Moving Forward" TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2907120
DISNEY DREAM/AKL CONCIERGE JUNE 2011 TRIP REPORT "TimandLesley's If The Boat's A Rockin' Don't Come A...........TR with TONS of pics and video!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2752980
Nov. 2010 Adults Only TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2601328
"SUM OF OUR THRILLS" June 2010 TR:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2497427
ALL GIRLS TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2454788
Tim's Disapalooza guys only TR:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2362085
First Times TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=34183633&posted=1#post34183633
18 DAYS IN DISNEY!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2224335
Read my blog: www.livinglifeaslesley.blogspot.com
timandlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #71
dee slack
DIS Veteran

Sorry about this really basic question, but I am about to book a Disney cruise and wondered if I need to do this in a special way or with a specific TA or direct with DCL to get any chance of an upgrade? Thanks for being understanding with wha's probably been asked a thousand times.

Disney Vow Renewal Wedding Pavilion Dec 13th 2007
Visited EVERY Disney park on the planet!!

Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer & Canada 05/02 *Florida 12/02*tour of Italy 05/03 *Kenya safari 12/03 *US S'west states 05/04 *Dubai 12/04 *China & HK 05/05 *Barbados & Royal Clipper 12/05 *Sth Africa, Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 05/06 *India 12/ 06 *Iceland 05/07 *Florida 12/07 (VR) & 10/10* Baltic Cruise 05/11*Tanzania safari 12/11 * tour of Turkey 05/12* Japan tour & TDR 10/12* DCL EBTA 5/13 * HKDL, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand & Singapore 04/14 * Norway 5/14
dee slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #72
Simba One
Mouseketeer

I got my GTY yesterday, 14 days out. No upgrade, didn't expect one.

Disney World too many times to count, Disneyland "09, Disney Magic Med '10, Magic Western Caribbean '11 , Disney Wonder Bahamas '10 , Disney Wonder Alaska '12, Wonder California Coast '13, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean '13, Dream Bahamas'14, Magic Southern Caribbean '14, Magic Puerto Rico '14, EB transatlantic '15 and Northern European '15
Simba One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #73
CruisingGoddess
Disney Princess

Well, I started this thread and I'm back! I winded up changing my cruise date and booked a 6A guarantee.

Good vibes and pixie dust for all of us!

Upcoming: Wine & Dine Half 2014 (Yacht Club), Disney World Half 2015 (Art of Animation), 1/12/2015 - Disney Dream Inaugural Castaway Cay Challenge, 6/27/2015 - ABD South Africa

Cruises: 11/24/2012 - Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean | 4/25/2009 - Disney Magic E. Caribbean w/Tortola | 4/23/2006 - Disney Wonder Bahamas | 4 x Princess, 2 x Celebrity, 2 x Norwegian, 1 x Royal Caribbean
Resorts: 3/2003 - Grand Californian | 1/2004 - Old Key West | 4/2006- Grand Floridian Honeymoon Suite | 5/2012 - Disneyland Hotel Suite | 12/2012 - Animal Kingdom | 2/2013 - Wilderness Lodge | 1/2014 - Paradise Pier | 2/2014 - Polynesian Resort
Races: Glass Slipper Challenge 2014, Tinker Bell Half 2014, Disneyland Half 2013, Princess Half 2013
CruisingGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #74
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Got our assignment last week for our late August cruise. I was surprised to get it so early! Booked a GTY 10B inside and got a 9C oceanview in what looks to be a great location. We are very happy!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #75
disneychic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post
Got our assignment last week for our late August cruise. I was surprised to get it so early! Booked a GTY 10B inside and got a 9C oceanview in what looks to be a great location. We are very happy!
awesome!! When is your cruise and what ship? I'm on the 9/1 Fantasy and I'm checking 2x a day for my room assignment! I can't wait to see my room number!
disneychic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: