Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #1546
*MomTo2Princesses*
Mouseketeer

Where does everyone purchase their curriculum from? Thanks!
*MomTo2Princesses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #1547
SCHBR'smom
My mind is as clear and focused as.... oh, look

You can ignore my chores, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MomTo2Princesses* View Post
I purchased ours from Rainbow Resource and Christianbookstore.

You may now call me SCHBRVM'smom.
SCHBR'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #1548
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
We have bought from Abeka, Alpha&Omega, Christian Book Store, Barnes and Noble, and Books-a-Million(before they went out of buisness ). We do use the library alot.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #1549
Nanu57v
Someone needs to tell the Tag Fairy to consult with me about spelling
Has her priorities in the right place

I usually (haha, this is only my 2nd year) purchase direct from Sonlight, but there is an art curriculum that is substantially cheaper at amazon so I'll be purchasing it there. I was planning on purchasing a science curriculum elsewhere this year, but instead I've decided to use Magic School Bus books as a springboard for unit studies. (2nd grade)

Me DH DD15 DD9 DD5
Nanu57v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #1550
Nanu57v
Someone needs to tell the Tag Fairy to consult with me about spelling
Has her priorities in the right place

Speaking of which, I'm am so itching to get started! I have so many ideas! I need to get a lesson plan book and get started!

Me DH DD15 DD9 DD5
Nanu57v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #1551
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanu57v View Post
I usually (haha, this is only my 2nd year) purchase direct from Sonlight, but there is an art curriculum that is substantially cheaper at amazon so I'll be purchasing it there. I was planning on purchasing a science curriculum elsewhere this year, but instead I've decided to use Magic School Bus books as a springboard for unit studies. (2nd grade)
Magic School Bus is the best. Our oldest loved it and she would eat breakfast and start her day with the videos, and the youngest loves it also. It really engages their mind and it sticks with them. We have a set of books and the kids love to read them. Long time ago we had the computer games.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #1552
weHEARTmickey
Dreamin' of Disney.......

Hello everyone We started CalcuLadder math drills & handwriting today. The kids have been bored & it only took about 30 minutes. I figured it was better than beating the TX heat with iPods
Oct 6, 2012-Anniversary Cruise- 7 Nights on Magic with DH ..~.. Oct 27, 2012- 7 Nights on Disney Magic w/Kids & Granny
Dec 2012-8 days of Deluxe Dining at the Poly ..~.. Dec 2012- 6 Night Christmas surprise on Disney Magic
Jan 2013-1st trip to DISNEYLAND!! Disneyland Hotel ..~.. May 2013-8 days at Yacht Club/Grand Floridian/AKL/AoA!
Sept 2013-13 days Wilderness Club Level & AKL Club Level NOJ ..~.. Oct 2013 DCL HalloWONDER Cruise
June 2014: Last Minute Combo trip: Disney Dream + Coronado Springs Resort
UPCOMING Trips: WDW 2 weeks, Disneyland 1 week, AULANI 10 days
weHEARTmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #1553
*MomTo2Princesses*
Mouseketeer

My Father's World?

For those that use My Father's World, do you supplement math? I am really leaning towards trying My Father's World (1st grade) this first year, and I have read some great reviews on it. However, I have seen several people say they supplement the math. If so, I'm leaning towards Horizons.

Does anyone have any pros/cons to MFW before we bite the bullet and purchase it?
*MomTo2Princesses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #1554
cinderanna
Mom to 1 princess

Just wanted to say "Hi"! I am going to start homeschooling my DD this coming year. I am excited to get started.

May 2003 Offsite
September 2006 All Star Movies with Free Dining
November 2012 All Star Movies with Free Dining

cinderanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #1555
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

We started last week and we're chugging along. Dd is enjoying herself. I have to fit art and piano in still. Maybe in August.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #1556
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!

Quote:
For those that use My Father's World, do you supplement math? I am really leaning towards trying My Father's World (1st grade) this first year, and I have read some great reviews on it. However, I have seen several people say they supplement the math. If so, I'm leaning towards Horizons.

Does anyone have any pros/cons to MFW before we bite the bullet and purchase it?
We use Sonlight, but we have been using Horizons for math since K. We will be doing grade 6 this coming school year. I really like it.
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #1557
miami305
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Oooh! I checked the site and am now considering the K program for DS. So many programs dummy down the preschool and K. People purchasing homeschool materials have already taught their children abc's and 123's! I appreciated that the site said that a mature 4 may be capable of the 1st grade work, but the copy work involved would probably prove too boring for a 4yr old.

Math is so easy to do at home! You can use blocks and measuring cups. We even use the cheapo army soldiers as counters. Be sure to look through any math workbook you purchase as some do not have enough drills. The books jump around all over the place. I started supplementing at home years ago when my dd's advance math class used the scatter approach. Ugh! The children learn all the concepts, but never master any math facts! Crazy! I now use ipad apps for math drills so we don't have to print off mountains of worksheets. However, there are plenty of free math worksheets available online.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #1558
weHEARTmickey
Dreamin' of Disney.......

Quote:

We used MFW (ECC) last year for my DD (5th grade) & DS (2nd/3rd gradish) We LOVED it for geography, Bible study time, and the YWAM books. I didn't *love* it for science. I said last year, that if we did MFW again, we'd opt out of their science choice, and do Apologia. Well, the kiddos are doing a "co-op type" class once a week this year, and we are following their curriculum. They are doing Abeka "Land I Love."

We took the ECC pre-test, then post-test. DD could label on 3 countries on the pre-test, and DS zero. On the post-test, DD could label 103! I think DS labeled about 87!! (This is taking a BLANK map, and WRITING IN the countries themselves.) I was highly impressed with all they learned in MFW.

Keep in mind, ECC is different than 1st grade. As far as MATH, we used Teaching Textbooks & LOVED, loved, loved it!!! It is not available until 2nd or 3rd grade. My BFF taught her boys MFW & used Bob Jones math. I wish you well with whatever you choose!
Oct 6, 2012-Anniversary Cruise- 7 Nights on Magic with DH ..~.. Oct 27, 2012- 7 Nights on Disney Magic w/Kids & Granny
Dec 2012-8 days of Deluxe Dining at the Poly ..~.. Dec 2012- 6 Night Christmas surprise on Disney Magic
Jan 2013-1st trip to DISNEYLAND!! Disneyland Hotel ..~.. May 2013-8 days at Yacht Club/Grand Floridian/AKL/AoA!
Sept 2013-13 days Wilderness Club Level & AKL Club Level NOJ ..~.. Oct 2013 DCL HalloWONDER Cruise
June 2014: Last Minute Combo trip: Disney Dream + Coronado Springs Resort
UPCOMING Trips: WDW 2 weeks, Disneyland 1 week, AULANI 10 days
weHEARTmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #1559
DisneyGirl4188
Mike's Princess
I won't tell you the really weird stuff I do

Can I join in? We aren't homeschooling yet (not officially, our son is only 4), but we are looking into it.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #1560
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka View Post
I'm considering homeschooling DS 8 next year, he will be entering 3rd grade. I'm considering using Time 4 Learning and wondered if anyone had any experience with it?
I will be using Time4Learning with my 3rd grader this fall also. We should keep in touch!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: