Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
muffyn
"hmmm*

Above ground Pools w/deck are they tacky? if you have one what do you think?

I would have dearly loved an inground pool,,, they are just so gorgeous...& my plan was to build a cover for it to be used all year round.
*sigh*
well that just is not in the cards, can't justify the expense of 20,000+ to even start it. so we have done nothing..
until 2 weeks ago . my daughter & her hubby decide they want a pool in the backyard ( they live in attached home). at first looked at steel w/liner inground pools, but I pointed out neither of the men are that young anymore to do THAT kind of install,, & any inground installed just too pricey.....
soo decided on an above ground.. (18x33,,,, almost got the 21x40)

anyway,, my hubby just kinda sighs.. that the pool with a deck around it just looks tacky....... I dunno.
how do you guys feel about above ground pools? do you have a deck,, ? like it?hate it?
I have seen ideas on decks ( we are still in drawing plans on one) that look pretty nice, but its STILL not the same as an inground.

we have a 8 &12 foot deck back out the back of our house, & will add the pool connected to the 8 ft part with a couple stairs up.. then have the long side of pool with a 12 deck out the side. backside of pool will have nothing.

muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
superme80
DIS Veteran

I personally have no problem with above ground pools with a deck. I think most of them look fine.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 9 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
cornflake
DIS Veteran

I've never even heard of an above-ground pool that size!

I think it's geographic kind of. There are areas around here that have them as fairly standard, but they're the round deals with the square decks enclosing them. It's generally in areas where there wouldn't be room for a larger pool regardless. It's not downmarket exactly, more working class. I don't know what a big rectangular one looks like... oh besides the one the dogs dive in on the dog dive challenge on Letterman. Hoping that's not it, that is kind of not attractive, heh. Off to google...
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
tefrench
DIS Addict

We recently installed a 27x54 pool ourselves and are planning on building decking - a lower deck big enough for a table, and an upper deck, mainly to get down into the pool.

I think it helps if you have landscaped it with attractive grasses and flowers. My friend has one, and you don't notice the "pool", you notice the plants.

Our kids love the pool, it is great family time, and with the heat wave we are having in Pa, a nice way to cool off.

Enjoy!

06/1996 - Disneys Wilderness Lodge
06/2009 - Disneys Caribbean Beach
02/2010 - First Disney Cruise!
12/2010 - 1/2011 - Christmas at Disney
10/2011 - Halloween Dream Cruise + Disney World
11/2012 - First Trip to DisneyLand
11/2013 - Coronado Springs & Eastern Caribbean on Fantasy
12/2014 - Christmas and New Years at Disney World
tefrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
happygirl
DIS Veteran

I don't think they look bad at all.
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Obviously SOME people must feel they look tacky. My association doesn't allow them in our development. It's inground or nuthin'. We got nuthin'.

Personally, I think they look fine.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
kathie859
DIS Veteran

I've seen above ground pools that are just stuck in the yard with no thought to aesthetics and I've seen some that are nicely decked and landscaped which were very nice. I think a lot of thought needs to be given to placement, decking and plantings in order to pull it off. Sounds like you are aware of the pitfalls of lack of planning Good luck!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

if that's your house, it looks like you have a lovely home with a big back yard. Just remember to check local codes when you install a pool and deck..some places require you to have the entire are fenced in!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

It depends. Would there be a '75 Chevy up on blocks next to three used toilets to the side of the deck? Then yes, it would be tacky.

If it has some landscaping and some interesting focal points, then no.

If it is just stuck in the middle of the yard with a deck, it would look unfinished.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Hubby had the same conversation with me this morning.

I don't like them at all, and think they look mostly tacky, but it would depend upon what you do with it. I can't stand above ground pools without decks for sure.

Some relatives have them, and they have fixed up the deck really nicely, but ultimately, you can see it's an above ground pool, with a flimsy set of stairs to the deck. That is the part I don't like, whereas an onground or inground allows you to walk into the pool at zero entry.

Good luck in your decision! Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Crystal0608
DIS Veteran

My mama had one put in about 9 years ago across her creek/bridge. It's a 22ft x ? round one and one side has a deck. I think it looks fine and tacky or not it's nice to be able to swim in in the summer .
Crystal0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

Our first house had this. They had made it look amazing. First of all, you couldn't tell right away it was an above ground pool. They excavated and basically buried a good part of it. Then they surrounded it with really pretty decking that was nicely landscaped. So you walked out of the back door, onto the decking, and there was the pool, which you stepped down into, like an inground pool. I thought it was an ingenious way to have a pool without all the $$$.
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

I have an above ground pool with a deck around half of it. Personally I hate the way above ground pools look with or without a deck, but when its 90+ and I'm floating around in it, I really don't care

Neither of these are my pool, but they look nice

luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Some look tacky. I agree if it has nice decking and landscaping they look great. My neighbor has a partially sunk one with decking all around it - kinda looks like an in ground.

If it were a matter of don't have one at all - I would have an above ground.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
emer95
DIS Veteran

We have a 28-ft above ground pool, with a gorgeous Trex deck attached to the house and then out to the pool. It's a gray deck with white vinyl fencing. We also have a hot tub recessed into the deck, and beautiful landscaping around it. We spent around $15,000 for absolutely everything, which is less than half the cost of just an in-ground pool. After you spend 30 grand on the pool (around here that's what it costs) you then need concrete around it, a fence, landscaping, etc. I could not justify the cost of an in ground. We love our yard and pool!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: