Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #16
Purdue Mouse
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know the uprade procedurein Seattle?

Wonder Alaska 7/23/2012
Dream 2/10/2011
Pop Century 12/27/03
Royal Carribean 2002 Phi Kappa Theta Reunion Cruise.
WDW Boardwalk Inn 10/16/01
Purdue Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #17
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post

One of my favorite perks that I wish we had taken advantage of was that concierge guests can order from the main dining rooms' menus and have it delivered to their stateroom.
Just so everyone knows...... unless this has recently changed, only guests staying in a suite can order from the MDR menus. On the Magic and Wonder, all the concierge cabins are suites, but that's not the case on the Dream and Fantasy. Guests staying in a cat V (Concierge Family stateroom) order from the regular room service menu. There really isn't room in the cat V cabins for a MDR room service meal, since there is no dining table.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #18
thefamilymouse
Earning My Ears

Is the amount you pay for the upgrade calculated from the cost of your room or from the amount that you paid for your room?

For example I booked a 11B for 3adults, it should have been 2400 but because of the special deal for Canadians I paid 2000. So would the cost of upgrade be calculated from 2000 or from 2400.
thefamilymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #19
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Before you sail is there a way to predict if there might be upgrades available at port?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #20
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
You need to check in for the cabin you have booked and then proceed to the supervisor's desk. As noted, the supervisor's station is at the far end of the counter nearest to the ship. The CMs at any of the regular stations will be happy to direct you.

You can attempt to upgrade at Guest Services after the ship has sailed, but chances are that by then all the upgrades available will have been sold at the terminal.
Thank you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmGooD View Post
I wanted to say the size difference that you are stating between a cat 8 and a cat 4 or V is the size of the verandah. So the extra size for your family of 4 would not be on the inside of the room. The bathrooms are the same on both the cat 8 and cat V other than finishes. Unless you have a cat 8a square room and I then think those rooms are bigger than the cat V except for the bathrooms which are sometimes single rooms instead of split.
After looking at each them on the DCL site, the concierge cabin (OOV) states a full bath (vanity, sink, round tub & shower) and half bath (vanity, sink, & toliet), vs a deluxe family oceanview (08B) with just a split bath (round tub & shower) .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #21
Gdes1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Is the amount you pay for the upgrade calculated from the cost of your room or from the amount that you paid for your room?

For example I booked a 11B for 3adults, it should have been 2400 but because of the special deal for Canadians I paid 2000. So would the cost of upgrade be calculated from 2000 or from 2400.

I, too, have been researching this and it seems the price difference is based on the selling cost of your current room vs. the selling cost of the room you want to upgrade to. So, that means a few things:
1) Sale price or discount is not factored in. The "starting point" cost is whatever they would sell your room for that day. So, in that sense, it's an even better deal if you did not pay list price for your room.
2) Number of people in the room doesn't matter. A couple upgrading from an 11B to a 5A will pay the same upgrade rate as a family of four doing the same upgrade. (Or so I have read here). Therefore, it is an even better deal for families/large parties.
3) If you booked IGT/OGT/VGT, it gets a little more complicated. I think I read here that the starting price is based on the lowest room you could have received, not the one you actually received. (Or maybe it's the best room you could have received, now I'm confusing myself!)
Gdes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #22
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Before you sail is there a way to predict if there might be upgrades available at port?
The only way I know of would be to check cabin availability for your cruise a few days before your sail date. I think they "close out" the sailing about three days prior to the sail date, and after they do that your cruise won't show up on the web site.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #23
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere

The only way I know of would be to check cabin availability for your cruise a few days before your sail date. I think they "close out" the sailing about three days prior to the sail date, and after they do that your cruise won't show up on the web site.
I was actually on the MR sailing before the first Hawaii sailing. The night before we disembarked I asked if there were cabins available. I was told yes and they could book me on it if I wanted. Someone else said that the week before it sailed there cabins available for booking in the site. Then I heard from someone one who went on that trip that there were no cabins available for upgrades at port. I don't know what time they got there though. So it seems there's no true way to know I guess?
Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #24
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
After looking at each them on the DCL site, the concierge cabin (OOV) states a full bath (vanity, sink, round tub & shower) and half bath (vanity, sink, & toliet), vs a deluxe family oceanview (08B) with just a split bath (round tub & shower) .
What you are stating about the bathrooms in both cabins is the same thing - they are both split baths.

From DCL's website about the cat. OOV staterooms:

Enjoy the convenience of a split bath, complete with a luxurious round tub and shower, and separate sinks that allow for multiple people to use the space at the same time. The full bathroom includes a vanity, sink and full tub/shower, while the half bath has a vanity, sink and toilet. Both luxurious and practical, a number of staterooms have round tubs with a built-in seat, a rain-style shower and a hand-held showerhead — perfect for bathing children.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...with-verandah/

From DCL's website about the cat. 8 staterooms:

Enjoy the convenience of a split bath that allows for multiple people to use the facilities at the same time. The full bathroom includes a vanity, sink and full tub/shower, while the half bath has a vanity, sink and toilet. Both luxurious and practical, all of these staterooms have round tubs with a built-in seat, a rain-style shower and a hand-held showerhead—perfect for bathing children.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...iew-stateroom/

As previously stated - the cabins will be the same size (indoors) and configuration. On DCL's website it states the size of the concierge cat. OOV as 305 sq. ft INCLUDING veranda. You can read that in the same link I posted above. The same for the cabin size for the cat. 8's.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #25
jilljill
Collects Disney men!

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefamilymouse View Post

The price you pay for your cabin does NOT impact the price of the port upgrade. DCL has a chart they go by.

Upgrades costs are by cabin and the number of people booked in the cabin doesn't impact the cost either.
The number of people booked in a cabin does factor into determining if you are able to upgrade you cabin. There has to be enough lifeboat space in the cabin you want to upgrade to, so the chart also lists how many people the upgrade cabin can hold.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #26
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
What you are stating about the bathrooms in both cabins is the same thing - they are both split baths.

From DCL's website about the cat. OOV staterooms:

Enjoy the convenience of a split bath, complete with a luxurious round tub and shower, and separate sinks that allow for multiple people to use the space at the same time. The full bathroom includes a vanity, sink and full tub/shower, while the half bath has a vanity, sink and toilet. Both luxurious and practical, a number of staterooms have round tubs with a built-in seat, a rain-style shower and a hand-held showerhead — perfect for bathing children.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...with-verandah/

From DCL's website about the cat. 8 staterooms:

Enjoy the convenience of a split bath that allows for multiple people to use the facilities at the same time. The full bathroom includes a vanity, sink and full tub/shower, while the half bath has a vanity, sink and toilet. Both luxurious and practical, all of these staterooms have round tubs with a built-in seat, a rain-style shower and a hand-held showerhead—perfect for bathing children.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...iew-stateroom/

As previously stated - the cabins will be the same size (indoors) and configuration. On DCL's website it states the size of the concierge cat. OOV as 305 sq. ft INCLUDING veranda. You can read that in the same link I posted above. The same for the cabin size for the cat. 8's.
That's where I was confused...thanks for clarifying . When I pull up available categories and click on the ?, it brings up a pic of the cabin (which I know is just a general pic) and the category 08B doesn't list the bathroom the same as the OOV...but now I see in the description you posted, it is the same. I was aware the sq. ft. included the verandah, but I just didn't realize the extra 58 sq. ft. was all the verandah with no extra space in the cabin .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #27
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
Just so everyone knows...... unless this has recently changed, only guests staying in a suite can order from the MDR menus. On the Magic and Wonder, all the concierge cabins are suites, but that's not the case on the Dream and Fantasy. Guests staying in a cat V (Concierge Family stateroom) order from the regular room service menu. There really isn't room in the cat V cabins for a MDR room service meal, since there is no dining table.
Ooh..okay..well my bad! Yeah, we upgraded to the 1-bdrm so we did have the dining table w/chairs. Makes sense since the cat V's don't have that. Definitely glad I saw this because the ordering from the MDR menus is one perk that would factor in for me if I was to do it again. Thanks!
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
9/14 DCL Dream w/friends
9/14 Disneyland sans kids
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
11/15 DCL Wonder
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #28
tfiga1
Mouseketeer

Am I reading this right? It appears the cost to upgrade at the port is not based on the number of people in the cabin? How do they determine the upgrae cost then? Also is there any way in which I can get a ball park figure if what an upgrade might cost?
tfiga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #29
jilljill
Collects Disney men!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfiga1 View Post
Am I reading this right? It appears the cost to upgrade at the port is not based on the number of people in the cabin? How do they determine the upgrae cost then? Also is there any way in which I can get a ball park figure if what an upgrade might cost?
Oy DCL knows the formula they use to determine upgrade costs. They have a chart they go by to determine the cost, which will be the same for everyone if upgrading to the same cabin category from the same category.

This info is a bit old, but it will give you an idea on what an upgrade might cost. We sailed on a 4 day cruise in June 2009 - booked a cat. 10 about 9 months out and upgraded to a cat. 3 (now cat. T) and the cost was $1050. Did the same cruise 2 weeks later - booked a cat. 10 on a FL res. rate and upgraded to a cat. 3 and paid the same upgrade cost.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #30
cornish pixie
DIS Veteran

Ok say for intance you have 2 cabins booked could you upgrade if available and go into 1 concierge cabin ? how do you think they might work that out ?
Very happy with our choices of cabin but intrigued to find out if this could be done.
Thanks

May 2014 Disney Magic Med Cruise September 2014 WBTA cruise
July 2013 Saratoga Springs
August 2012 Miami, RPR, OKW, 5 Day Disney Dream Cruise, Miami. August 2011 Med Cruise, 3 days in Barcelona. February 2010 RCL Freedom of the Seas, Villa,4 day Disney Wonder Cruise. December 2008/January 2009 Villa, RPR. August 2007 Clearwater,RPR,Villa,POR, 3 Day Disney Wonder Cruise.May 2005 Ron Jons Cape Caribe Resort, 3 Day Disney Wonder Cruise, Villa, RPR. May 2003 Villa,RPR.
February 2002 Villa. February 1995 Quality Inn International
cornish pixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: