Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #796
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Changes that make the math work out are always good! It is so fun that your mom is looking forward to the treehouse villas so much!

Speaking of treehouses, did I ever mention our adventure at Out N About? I first saw it on GMA when my boys were about the ages of yours. I thought "what other vacation (besides Disney) could a boy want?" We had an amazing and very interesting time -it IS Oregon, after all! Here's the link: http://www.treehouses.com/
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #797
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARmom30
Cynthia - I've been lurking on your pre-trip report and wanted to comment on the Ford Edge. I own one and my family (of 4) drove it to WDW last summer. 890 miles one way, with a 15 year old and a 5 year old in a high back booster. We fit fine and we were very comfortable. I started a trip report( that I never finished) but there is a picture in the 1st post of the back of my car all packed up. I really think for a 2 hour trip you should be fine.
Thanks!!!! I took a perk at your TR, I think it will be fine too!!!!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #798
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2
Changes that make the math work out are always good! It is so fun that your mom is looking forward to the treehouse villas so much!

Speaking of treehouses, did I ever mention our adventure at Out N About? I first saw it on GMA when my boys were about the ages of yours. I thought "what other vacation (besides Disney) could a boy want?" We had an amazing and very interesting time -it IS Oregon, after all! Here's the link: http://www.treehouses.com/
You did! Those look really really cool!!!! I could totally see us trying that out. Yes, saving money is very good!!!!!

Mom loves the treehouse idea
Old 07-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #799
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
You did! Those look really really cool!!!! I could totally see us trying that out. Yes, saving money is very good!!!!!

Mom loves the treehouse idea
Sorry to be repetitive - old age you know!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #801
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My brain is a colander.
This just made me chuckle out loud!!
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #802
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
LOL! Repeating is good, I'm a BIG fan of it.

My brain is a colander.
Hey, that is just what I say all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #803
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Hey, that is just what I say all the time!

Well it's true. It is a colander. Not even a fine mesh strainer mind you but one that would let rise slip through, even an orzo noodle, small bits of ground meat...things that have real content. Typically I reserve that phrase for speaking about Evan but lately...I'm just as bad if not worse!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #804
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Post Its are my friend!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #805
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Shut the door!

I like doors. I like doors that close. Doors that lock are nice although I’m grateful to have children that are pretty good about knowing my room is off limits no matter what and that a closed door means you knock. If my room is off limits, no matter what, and the only way to get to the bathroom (because there is only one) is through my room…it presents a problem for anyone besides Jeff and I, who might want to use the bathroom. Why? well supersonic hearing Jeff will wake up when our door is opened. I can't sleep with it open so it has to be closed. 1+1 = major concern for sleep quality for the parental units. Jeff wakes up, he yells at said kid, which wakes me up. UGH.

Obviously this isn’t an issue in a regular hotel room. Everyone has the same access to the bathroom. But a one bedroom villa implies a door to said bedroom. A door that keeps said children out. Imagine my great dismay to learn the following.

Buildings 1-30 at Old Key West have access to the bathroom, through the bedroom. ONLY.

Buildings 31-64 have a secondary access, through the laundry room.

The entire Hospitality House area is included in buildings 1-30.

The idea of 3 kids traipsing through, as they need to use the facilities, while I try to sleep with supersonic hearing Jeff….really doesn’t work for me. Or him. At all.

Can I guarantee this won’t happen?

Nope.

Not really. A request is just that and I keep going round and round about what to request. Because this is a resort only stay, we want to…enjoy the resort! Hence the HH booking. Which has now been changed to a NON HH booking. There are 3 buildings that are close to HH and would work perfectly. However the way to request those is by the area, not the building and there are other buildings in that area…that won’t work. Right now our room request has this area specified, with a secondary note for one of those 3 buildings. There are 7 more in that area (Millers Road) that don’t have that configuration. I could change that request to a different part of the resort like Turtle Pond or South Point. where all the buildings have the secondary access. I’ve come up with 3 buildings I like that might work in those areas but again, they are requested by section, not building so no guarantee I’d get them. I’ve now moved from wanting pixie dust to keep us from a parking lot view to pixie dust for a 2 bathroom door configuration in a part of the resort we want.

Yikes! I don’t know if I should change the request, which could put us in what seems like Egypt, or take our chances. Anyone with OKW experience, I’d love your input. Otherwise we might be yelling, in the middle of the night

SHUT THE DOOR

Or more likely…

SHUT THE DOOR QUIETLY!
In other door related news our FE arrived! Check it out.

I love it! I admit, I was a bit surprised by the green trim, I’d asked for yellow. It made it look a bit Christmasy to me. So I tweaked it a little.

I’ve knocked a couple of things off the to do list.

1. Ordered our groceries for the OKW part of the stay. I decided to give a new service a try, Personal Disney Shopper. I’ve been quite pleased with Garden Grocer in the past but like the idea of supporting a small business. The prices, at the end of the day, are really about the same but I am able to get much more specific with what I want and the quantities (so get a little more for the same $$) with PSD.

2. Picked up the rest of the gift cards to use for our cash ADR’s, snacks etc.

3. Finalized the cars! Unless something better comes along we have landed on the following.

Ford Edge, or similar for 7/29-8/1 @ $166 via Budget. Pick up at Embassy Suites (it says we can have them come get us, yay!) and drop off at Cape Caneveral.

Ford Escape or similar, for 8/5 @ $75 via Avis. Pick up at Cape Canaveral, return to the Hilton at DTD. This is supposedly walk able back to DTD, not sure if they have a shuttle or not.

And…while this was NOT on my to do list, I have made at least one dining change, possibly 2.

I was listening to a podcast while at the gym yesterday morning which was a full DTD review. It made me REALLY not want to go to Planet Hollywood, which has been the plan for our first day back to the World after the cruise. Granted, it was never even on my list, or Jeff’s but we were doing it for Evan. We decided that Evan is SOL. I will walk him in there to check it out while we are at DTD during the OKW part of the trip.
Instead…we now have reservations at…

The Wave!

Why The Wave? Well…as some of you know, there was kind of a cool announcement from DVC recently.

New summer perk has Members feeling on 'Top of the World'
From July 8-Aug. 25, 2012, Disney Vacation Club Members staying at any Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at the Walt Disney World® Resort (whether they booked with vacation points or cash) may enjoy access to one of the vacation kingdom's most exclusive spaces: the Top of the World Lounge atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort.
The sleekly designed bar and lounge, typically available only to Members staying at Bay Lake Tower, operates from 5 p.m.-midnight daily and offers spectacular rooftop viewing of Wishes™ - the Magic Kingdom® fireworks spectacular - complete with the show's stirring musical soundtrack. The ability to access the lounge has been a frequent request from Members staying at other Walt Disney World Resorts since Bay Lake Tower opened in 2009, and Disney Vacation Club is thrilled to make that "wish" come true during this special summer period.

This perk is available exclusively to Members and those in their traveling party who are staying on that Member's reservation. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current Key to the World card displaying a Disney Vacation Club Membership notation in order to gain admission to the lounge. If the Member's Key to the World card doesn't display a Membership notation, a Disney Vacation Club Member ID is required in addition to the Key to the World card to verify Membership.

Note that Members traveling from other resorts must use Walt Disney World Transportation, as parking will be unavailable to anyone not staying at Bay Lake Tower or Disney's Contemporary Resort. Upon arrival, Members must walk to the Bay Lake Tower main lobby entrance on the ground floor and check in at the Top of the World Lounge desk in the lobby.
This special Top of the World Lounge access is available on a first-come, first-served basis until the lounge reaches capacity. As the lounge is particularly popular during the Magic Kingdom fireworks, arriving as early as possible will give Members the best chance of gaining admission.

We plan to eat at The Wave and then go to the Top of the World!
Part of me would REALLY like to go to Cali Grill since we’ve never been and it is going down for refurb. The only time available is 9:25 and I do struggle with spending that much, either DDP or OOP, with all the kids. That time would negate the Top of the World, other than to check it out either before or after which granted, could still be cool. So…I dunno. Jeff and I need to figure this one out. For now I booked The Wave and cancelled Planet Hollywood.

I also made a backup option for our AK day. We have an 8:30 ADR at Saana. This seemed perfect when we were staying at Kidani and the park closed at 7. With our move to Jambo, this certainly is still plenty doable but I did get to thinking that we only have 3 disney dining experiences this trip (sit down ADR’s at any rate, not on the cruise) and do I want 1 of those really to be a repeat? We LOVE Saana so we may just keep it but…I did make a second ressie at Yak & Yeti. I may be really really bad and keep both and decide that day/evening. It would give up ½ hour of park time but lets us walk out into the empty park which is always kind of fun and if we did want to go somewhere else from there, opens up lots of options.

We will see.

In other news, we’ve been busy enjoying summer. The sun FINALLY showed up on the 4th and has gotten progressively nicer out. At this exact moment in time I have NO children! Evan is on his way to camp (after a trip to the emergency room this morning to check out a split lip from a friday kid pushing Evan in the lake, other kid pushing the kids that pushed Evan in the lake and 2nd kid landing so close to Evan that he kneed him in the chin and Evan almost bit through his lip) and Eric is finishing up a 3 day hike and not expected till late afternoon early evening. Which means I'm on the deck working on my tan (with sunscreen on of course) and DISing!

We had a family bbq last weekend and celebrated all the kids birthdays, or at least the 6 of them that were there that day. Historically my mom makes rather fancy themed cakes for the kids. Life has gotten busy for everyone and no one has had a cake in over a year. So instead, she made 3 round cakes, cut them in half and then the kids had a decorating contest! Check them out and see if you can guess which one made which (Kendall, Evan and Eric were at the party).

Last but not least, I thought I’d share some pictures from our fourth of July. I hope everyone had a wonderful day as well, ours definitely had a few Disney Touches.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #806
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Wow, you have been busy! I am sorry I'm of no help on the OKW bathroom issue. It's good to know though, since we will be in a 1BR HH! My kids don't get up too much though, just me! HA!

I like the FE - I see what you mean about the green trim. I'd prefer yellow for your trip too.

Car done! YAY! I'm sure it will be fine.

Cakes - Hmm, I can't remember now which boy plays trombone, but that's obviously his. The wave/sunset one is Kendall's. And the cruise ship is your other E's! I may have seen that one on FB... too bad I still can't remember which E is which!

Oh - and that TOTW deal? I'm so jealous! I wish they were doing that in October! Maybe BLT bookings are slow at this time of year and/or maybe it's a trial deal to see what kind of business it gets with other DVC folks.

Enjoy your quiet kid-free time! It's so rare, isn't it?
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #807
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Cha-cha-Changes but they like all great ones and saving money to boot.
Good thing you noticed the bathroom thing now and I am sure they can accommodate you. I have 3 requests when I was in BCV and got a room that met all three.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #808
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Oh, I hope Evan's lip is okay. They can make for nasty injuries, but usually heal pretty quickly.

We thought the Wave was just okay...I'd like to try Cali Grill, but understand that the timing won't work for you to see the fireworks from TotW. So yeah, the Wave it is!

I see Disney mugs in your 4th of July pictures!
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #809
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Cool corn holders!

Do you know how full the bookings at OKW are? Or how possible it would be to change your room when you get there if you get one of the one-door rooms?

Love, Love, Love your change to the Wave, and checking out the Top of the World. That is going to be so cool!

Great cakes.

I'm glad to hear the sun has finally arrived in the Seattle area! And a day early, eh?
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #810
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Great idea changing to the Wave! You're right...going to Cali Grill would negate the effect of getting to the Top of the World Lounge. That's a great perk for all of you DVC owners.

I have to say the bathroom access issue at OKW (which is the same as SSR) is just plain odd. Why were they designed that way? Why? Luckily, Lauren and I were sharing the same bedroom, so it didn't really matter, but still...

Sorry to hear about Evan's lip, but I'm glad its OK and I'm glad that you're enjoying a little summer out there!
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: