Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
levenhopper
DIS Veteran

Talking Is it Disney Time Yet?!? December, 2012 PTR

Hey all,
I'm writing my first ever pre-trip report, for my first ever trip to Disney! My best friend and I are heading to Disney in December, 2012 for a week. I don't have details of day-by-day stuff yet, but am so excited that I figured I would start my PTR, and keep adding as we get closer to the trip. Without further ado:

Cast:
Myself. My name is Jordan, and I'm a 23 year old college student from Cleveland, OH. I attend a local university, where I'm majoring in PR/Marketing, with a certificate in Social Media Communications. I just started back at college this fall, after taking two years off after graduating as an emergency medicine (paramedic) major from a community college. I spent the last year and a half working for Apple at the Genius Bar, before recently leaving to take a position as one of the two Cleveland Cavs (NBA) team medics. This is my first trip to WDW.

Abby and I have been friends for a while, and this will be our first vacation together. She is 21 years old, and a senior at OSU who is majoring in International Relations. She's been to WDW before, but not for an extended amount of time. Abby's a huge fan of *all* the princesses at Disney.

We both have birthdays in the three weeks leading up to our trip (I'll be 24, Abby will be 22), so we're calling this a belated birthday trip for the both of us

Basic details:
December 14-21. We land in Orlando at 11:21AM, and our flight leaves from Orlando at 6:15PM. We're taking the Magical Express both ways.

We're booked to stay at the Art of Animation resort, in a Little Mermaid room. We'll be using the Deluxe Dining Plan. I can't wait to explore the new resort, and I think a value room will be fine for us since I doubt we'll be spending much time in the room.

Schedule (everything listed has been booked):
Fri, Dec 14. Plan on getting to hotel around 1PM, via DME. Check in, head to MK for FP+ trial. We have FP+'s for Peter Pan's Flight, Celebrate a Dream Come True parade, Space Mountain, and Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid. The first FP window starts at 1PM, and the last FP window ends at 6PM. After that we'll head to the Boardwalk for dinner at Beaches 'n Cream, and then go to Epcot to see Illuminations and take advantage of their PM EMH.

Sat, Dec 15. Hollywood Studios. We have FP+ for Star Tours (9:20AM - 10:20AM), TSM (10:55AM-11:55AM), and ToT (12:40PM-1:40PM), Lunch at 50s Primetime Cafe at 1:50PM. Heading to Downtown Disney for Cirque du Soleil's 6PM showing. Dinner at T-Rex at 8:30PM

Sun, Dec 16. EPCOT. Breakfast at Akershus at 8:20AM, dinner at Le Cellier at 7:35PM. Illuminations at night.

Mon, Dec 17. Animal Kingdom (with EMH AM). Breakfast at Tusker House at 9:10AM. Dinner at California Grill at 5:05PM. Sunset is at 5:32PM, so we'll get a nice view. Then, monorail hop for a bit to see holiday decorations before heading back to California Grill for fireworks, or heading to the Polynesian beach (depending on the weather). MK has PM EMH until 2AM (so if we're not tired, maybe head over after fireworks).

Tues, Dec 18. Magic Kingdom. Be at MK for rope drop at 8AM. Early lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern at 11:35AM. Dinner at 'Ohana at 4:45PM. MVMCP at night.

Wed, Dec 19. Magic Kingdom. Breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table at 8:05AM. Lunch at Crystal Palace at 1:30PM. Dinner at Be Our Guest at 6:30PM. Parade and fireworks at night.

Thurs, Dec 20. Undecided as to where we'll start the day. Possibly Hollywood Studios if we are short on park time there, or go right to Epcot so we don't need to hop parks before doing the Seas Aqua Tour (meets at Epcot main gate at 12:00PM). Head to Hollywood Studios after the tour, and see Fantasmic at night, followed by checking out the Osborne Family Lights on the way to dinner at Sci-Fi Dine-In at 8:20PM. We'll end the night by heading to the Boardwalk to check out Jellyrolls.

Fri, Dec 21. Epcot in the AM. Lunch at Via Napoli at 11:30AM before heading to the resort to catch DME back to the airport.

Our plan is to get to the parks early (in time for opening) every day, be efficient for the first few hours, then slow down and enjoy the sights.

That's all for now! Hopefully I'm off to a good start for planning, and the rest will fall into place as we get closer. Words can't describe how excited I am for this trip :D!

Last edited by levenhopper; 03-04-2013 at 10:11 PM.
levenhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Phatoomch
DIS Veteran

So excited for you - its your first trip. Awesome choice of resort! I can't wait to go there myself.

Your first day might be a bit tight - I was advised to get to La Nouba no later than 30mins before. Hoping someone else will be able to advise you better.

Other than that, you have a pretty busy schedule, great ADRs and YOU WILL BE IN DISNEY

We had our first trip last year and it was awesome, a hardcore planner could pick holes all day long in the way we toured but we still had a blast - one of the best things is, the first trip just makes the planning more exciting for your next trip .... I was planning as soon as we got back
Phatoomch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
levenhopper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatoomch View Post
Your first day might be a bit tight - I was advised to get to La Nouba no later than 30mins before.
The La Nouba tickets came in the mail today! It does say to arrive 30 minutes early...but my logic was since adding an extra park day was only an extra $10 per person, even if we only spent two hours in Epcot, it'd be worth it.

If our flight gets delayed, we'll probably head straight to DTD, and explore there before the show.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
Phatoomch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by levenhopper View Post
The La Nouba tickets came in the mail today! It does say to arrive 30 minutes early...but my logic was since adding an extra park day was only an extra $10 per person, even if we only spent two hours in Epcot, it'd be worth it.

If our flight gets delayed, we'll probably head straight to DTD, and explore there before the show.
You've got all corners covered

So, will Abby be taking an autograph book and meeting some princesses
Phatoomch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
DsnyMama
DIS Veteran

I'm in Hello fellow nursing student! I have two years left and then will continue on for my Master's in nursing with a specialty in nurse-midwifery! Planning on catching babies and couldn't be more excited about it! Nursing school is a challenging road, but so worth it! Can't wait to hear more about your plans!!

Up Next: October2014
Feb 2014 TR - click HERE
DsnyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
levenhopper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatoomch View Post
So, will Abby be taking an autograph book and meeting some princesses
That's the plan! 1900 Park Fare dinner should have some. I'm trying to fit in Akershus Royal Banquet Hall but I just don't know when we'd have time. Plus, we're already two table service credits over our dining plan...and I don't know what I'd get rid of. I'm already struggling on whether we should just pay for two out of pocket...or if not, which to get rid of (travel agent recommended cutting 'Ohama and doing Cosmic Ray's, but I've only heard good things about 'Ohama).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsnyMama View Post
I'm in Hello fellow nursing student! I have two years left and then will continue on for my Master's in nursing with a specialty in nurse-midwifery! Planning on catching babies and couldn't be more excited about it! Nursing school is a challenging road, but so worth it! Can't wait to hear more about your plans!!
I'm very excited about nursing school. My school has a program which allows direct admittance to the masters program as long as I keep a 3.0 GPA. My only worry about nursing: as a paramedic, I've been taught to think/act on my own, and have a pretty wide range in my scope of practice to administer meds/start IVs/intubate/interpret EKGs without anyone looking over my shoulder...so I'm going to need to learn to take a step back and not be doing everything on my own.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
ksromack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by levenhopper View Post
That's the plan! 1900 Park Fare dinner should have some. I'm trying to fit in Akershus Royal Banquet Hall but I just don't know when we'd have time. Plus, we're already two table service credits over our dining plan...and I don't know what I'd get rid of. I'm already struggling on whether we should just pay for two out of pocket...or if not, which to get rid of (travel agent recommended cutting 'Ohama and doing Cosmic Ray's, but I've only heard good things about 'Ohama).

I'm very excited about nursing school. My school has a program which allows direct admittance to the masters program as long as I keep a 3.0 GPA. My only worry about nursing: as a paramedic, I've been taught to think/act on my own, and have a pretty wide range in my scope of practice to administer meds/start IVs/intubate/interpret EKGs without anyone looking over my shoulder...so I'm going to need to learn to take a step back and not be doing everything on my own.
I like your plan. I would not cut out O'hana, though! It's the meal I think hubby and I are most looking forward to. We are in the same boat as you....looks like we'll be paying out of pocket for 2 of our TS meals. I would look at the menus of all of your TS restaurants and figure out which 2 would be the cheapest. For us Kona breakfast is clearly one of them. I need to wait to see menu prices for BOG before committing to paying oop for that one but it looks like that will be our second oop meal. I am happy to see another adult couple looking forward to character interaction. I felt a little funny at first since it's just hubby and me now that our kids are grown......i'm rather looking forward to being a kid myself

My hubby is an HUGE OSU fan! He's from Warren, Ohio and his folks and one brother still lives there. We love going back for family visits

After looking closely at your restaurant choices and having experiences with most of them......if I were to cut one restaurant it would be Sci Fi. I wasn't terribly crazy about the food, at least not enough to use a TS credit for it......maybe you would chose to pay oop for this one if you were really wanting to keep it......

Oh, and make sure you work in Osborne Lights at HS. It looks like you are only planning on being at HS one night when it's dark. I'm not sure if you can squeeze that in on the same night as Fantasmic or not. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose the lights

Last edited by ksromack; 07-07-2012 at 09:58 AM.
ksromack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Hi there! Your plan looks good, but I agree with pp, I would not cut Ohana. If you have to cut one, I would choose one of the DHS TS meals.

If you don't make Akershus, there are other good opportunities to meet the other princesses. You could get a FP for Town Square Theater, or go on your party night when the Princes will be with their Princesses.

Good luck with the rest of school, I have been there too. I am a CRNA now and that was a great path for me.

Have a great trip!

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
levenhopper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksromack View Post
I need to wait to see menu prices for BOG before committing to paying oop for that one but it looks like that will be our second oop meal.
We're planning on doing BOG for lunch, since that will be counter service for lunch. It's something we're looking forward to, but since it isn't character dining we're just going to do it for lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksromack View Post
Oh, and make sure you work in Osborne Lights at HS. It looks like you are only planning on being at HS one night when it's dark. I'm not sure if you can squeeze that in on the same night as Fantasmic or not. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose the lights
I was hoping to squeeze it in after Fantasmic. Fantasmic is at 6:30 (according to the schedule, but who knows if it'll change between now and then), and the park closes at 8:00. So by the time we get out of the stadium, I think we'll have 30-45 minutes to see Osborne Lights.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
smidgy
dimples

sounds like a great trip!!! do NOT miss the osbourne lights! in fact, we liked it when we were there when they first turned them on!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
levenhopper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
do NOT miss the osbourne lights! in fact, we liked it when we were there when they first turned them on!
I'll keep that in mind. I just realized that as the time gets closer, sometimes Disney has been known to announce a second showing of Fantasmic! Hopefully they'll be doing a second showing, and we can explore the Osborne lights during the first Fantasmic!, and then catch the second showing.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
megveg
Drink up me hearties, yo ho!

I'm innn! I've always wanted to visit WDW in December. I'm planning an end of October/beginning of November trip to try and get Halloween and some Christmas in one trip

"Some days you eat the bear,
some days the bear eats you,
but always dress for the hunt!"
KUNGALOOSH!

Past Trips: 5/96' Offsite with Family
11/05' With my highschool Choir -ASMu
5/08' Graduation Trip - Shades of Green
5/09' Memorial Week Trip - Poly
Nov 2014: Homestead for NASCAR + a lil Disney/UO
megveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Hiya! Yay for more December birthdays! That's why we're going the two weeks before you, we have 3 birthdays in the first 2 weeks of Dec in my party. In college I always remember hating that there was inevitably a final on my birthday (the 8th), or the day after so I couldn't go out and have fun.

AoA looks gorgeous, and your trip plans make me nostalgic for my childless 20's with your plans to actually power through the parks and have enough energy for nightlife! Don't know if I'll be able to offer very much help since I haven't been to Disneyworld in over 20 years myself, but if I can chime in with stuff I've discovered that seem pertinent I will.

Great start to your PTR!
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
driftin' by
Earning My Ears

I just have too much in common not to reply to this thread...

My birthday is also the 8th and I used to live in Cleveland. Go Tribe!

FWIW, and if princesses are something you're pining for I would highly recommend Akershus... It's a good menu although I've only had the salmon and you get 4-5 princesses as opposed to the buffet and 1 princess at 1900. I know that comes with logistics to consider especially if your already set for your one day at Epcot with lunch at le Cellier.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
levenhopper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
Great start to your PTR!
Thanks! This may be a dumb question, but what else goes into a PTR? I think for now, I've written just about everything we have planned/thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftin' by View Post
I used to live in Cleveland. Go Tribe!

FWIW, and if princesses are something you're pining for...
GO TRIBE! Hopefully they can pick up the pace a little bit...I'm hoping for a good second half.

I'm really excited for Le Celliar, so I think we'll skip Akershus this time. Hopefully we'll get a decent amount of princesses at MVMCP. Plus, it just gives us an excuse to go back again

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: