Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #2836
ireneryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DznyCrzy11 View Post
I agree!! If someone is not willing to pay the price to stay at the Poly, they shouldn't be allowed to use the facilities or watch fireworks from the beach, that should be reserved solely for resort guests and they need to enforce that!
100% Agree, this is my 1st WDW trip and I am shocked, honestly, that it is not enforced. When I paid for this resort I thought I was paying for all of the amenities, I didn't realize that I had to share them with "visitors".
Old 07-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #2837
princssdisnygina
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireneryan View Post
100% Agree, this is my 1st WDW trip and I am shocked, honestly, that it is not enforced. When I paid for this resort I thought I was paying for all of the amenities, I didn't realize that I had to share them with "visitors".
It isn't just at the Poly though... it is other resorts as well.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #2838
ireneryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princssdisnygina View Post
It isn't just at the Poly though... it is other resorts as well.
Yes, after reading all of this, I would imagine that that would be the case. But it seems so easy to enforce. Everyone who rightfully was meant to be there would have no problem wearing wristbands and not having one would make you stick out so it would not be a difficult job to ask the others to leave....

But I'm not going to let this bother my vacation at all. I'll just pretend they all belong there so I don't get agitated!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #2839
castmemberb4
DIS Veteran

My only argument is if someone pays for dinner at O'Hanna they should be able to see the fireworks from the beach, But certainly not get access to the pool.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #2840
princssdisnygina
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by castmemberb4 View Post
My only argument is if someone pays for dinner at O'Hanna they should be able to see the fireworks from the beach, But certainly not get access to the pool.
Watching the fireworks from the beach isn't really an issue, only on the 4th. There are only a handful for a normal Wishes night. That has never really bothered me. But the pool... that is annoying. If you want the amenities of a Deluxe resort, pay for it! If you can't, ALL of the resorts have pools!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #2841
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireneryan View Post
I agree ... I believe if you are not staying at the Poly (or any other resort) you shouldn't be using that resort's pool, but I don't really see any harm in watching the fireworks from the beach. As princssdisnygina said, the problem is only on certain special days such as the 4th, New Years, etc ... otherwise there is always tons of space for everyone.

The problem stems from the Poly's location being so close to the Magic Kingdom simple as that. On several of our trips, we've had problems finding a place to park returning to the resort in the late afternoon/early evening, yet when it's after fireworks time or park closing, there are plenty of parking spots (one trip we actually had to park in the only parking available which was the 30 minute parking - and when we told both the main concierge and the Club Level concierge desk about it, they acknowledged the problem and basically said there was nothing they could do - as long as we had our parking pass displayed we wouldn't be towed - but that's another rant). Again, Disney doesn't enforce the parking, except on extremely busy times - Christmas, Spring Break, etc.

Disney doesn't want to piss off any of their guests so don't enforce their own rules by telling them no - and unfortunately people take advantage of that. Is it right? No ... but then Disney already has our money so they're happy, even when it's an inconvenience to those of us paying to stay there.

Disney wants you to eat in their resort restaurants, shop in their resort shops, and watch the fireworks from the beach in hopes that they will fall in love with it and decide to stay there on their next trip.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #2842
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Fortunately the pool "visitors" will be gone soon enough (or not soon enough, but gone!) when the new fence goes up around the pool. I just hope they do it in such a way that it doesn't ruin the esthetic & the view too much!

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
Old 07-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #2843
princssdisnygina
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
Fortunately the pool "visitors" will be gone soon enough (or not soon enough, but gone!) when the new fence goes up around the pool. I just hope they do it in such a way that it doesn't ruin the esthetic & the view too much!
I don't know how much this will help. All someone has to do is follow a resort guest inside the fence. This will regulate it a little but I don't think it will help too much.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #2844
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princssdisnygina View Post
I don't know how much this will help. All someone has to do is follow a resort guest inside the fence. This will regulate it a little but I don't think it will help too much.
I think it will help more than just "a little". First, just the fence/key-access gate would be a deterent for many people and I think someone loitering around outside the gate with their cooler & pool toys, waiting for a guest to slip in with might be a bit conspicuous to the lifeguards.

At times when there is high volumes of traffic they will hopefully have someone monitoring the gate too. It's a lot easier to monitor who is coming & going when there is just one point of controlled entry.

I don't think it will eliminate the problem completely, but I think it should help more than just a bit.

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
Old 07-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #2845
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

I hope they start enforcing the wristbands the way they do at BC/YC.

When we stayed at the Poly we saw too many families who were "day visitiors". The pool isn't that big and it's so unfair.

Of course I'm with the unpopular thought that even the beach should only be for registered Polynesian guests or those who have eaten at a Polynesian ts restaurants (not just a dole whip at Captain Cook's).

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
Old 07-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #2846
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

An Outsider's Point of View

I have to say I'm disappointed with some of the viewpoints on here. Disney defines resort guests as pretty much anybody visiting the resort. They can be people staying at the Poly, people eating at the Poly, people shopping at the Poly, and even people just looking around--maybe scoping out a future stay. Disney's definition here is the only "rightful" that matters.

I have never considered the price for a night there to be "worth it" for my family, but we did get pixie-dusted to stay there for a weekend in February due to construction delays at another resort. We liked it so much that my definition of "worth it" may change. One of our favorite experiences while there was sitting on the beach watching Wishes and also the Electric Light Parade. It was quiet, relaxed, and offered a terrific different perspective for us.

Other than restricting pool-hopping--which I have no problems with--Disney encourages guests of their entire resort to look around their entire property. One of the truths Poly guests should recognize is that they're staying at a deluxe resort in a premium location. As such, other Disney guests want to go there. Like all other resorts, Poly guests pay the going rate for rooms, convenience, and amenities. They do not pay for exclusive access to the resort--sorry to be the one to break that to you. The beach and the property in general is open to all, and there are no Disney rules that say otherwise.

I appreciate those of you who in the past helped me in this thread with my Poly stay, whether knowingly or not. If I can in return offer any of you help with other aspects of your WDW vacation, feel free to ask over on the TPA&S board.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
Old 07-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #2847
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
I have to say I'm disappointed with some of the viewpoints on here. Disney defines resort guests as pretty much anybody visiting the resort. They can be people staying at the Poly, people eating at the Poly, people shopping at the Poly, and even people just looking around--maybe scoping out a future stay. Disney's definition here is the only "rightful" that matters.

I have never considered the price for a night there to be "worth it" for my family, but we did get pixie-dusted to stay there for a weekend in February due to construction delays at another resort. We liked it so much that my definition of "worth it" may change. One of our favorite experiences while there was sitting on the beach watching Wishes and also the Electric Light Parade. It was quiet, relaxed, and offered a terrific different perspective for us.

Other than restricting pool-hopping--which I have no problems with--Disney encourages guests of their entire resort to look around their entire property. One of the truths Poly guests should recognize is that they're staying at a deluxe resort in a premium location. As such, other Disney guests want to go there. Like all other resorts, Poly guests pay the going rate for rooms, convenience, and amenities. They do not pay for exclusive access to the resort--sorry to be the one to break that to you. The beach and the property in general is open to all, and there are no Disney rules that say otherwise.

I appreciate those of you who in the past helped me in this thread with my Poly stay, whether knowingly or not. If I can in return offer any of you help with other aspects of your WDW vacation, feel free to ask over on the TPA&S board.

I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but you probably don't understand because you haven't paid to stay at the Poly. When I am a paying resort guest and I can't get a seat on the beach to watch fireworks because guests from the WL, Pop, and BC are taking them up I don't feel it is fair to my family who paid for those seats.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #2848
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but you probably don't understand because you haven't paid to stay at the Poly. When I am a paying resort guest and I can't get a seat on the beach to watch fireworks because guests from the WL, Pop, and BC are taking them up I don't feel it is fair to my family who paid for those seats.
How much did you pay for those seats exactly? Let me know and I'll have some pocket cash on me next time I go. Please include any tax so I can have the right change.

I did pay to stay at the Poly, just not Poly rates. I'm sure there were people on that beach that paid even less than me to supposedly be on that beach, but that doesn't mean I automatically thought their presence there was unfair.

I'm going to quit now because I just don't see this ending well.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
Old 07-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #2849
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
How much did you pay for those seats exactly? Let me know and I'll have some pocket cash on me next time I go. Please include any tax so I can have the right change.

I did pay to stay at the Poly, just not Poly rates. I'm sure there were people on that beach that paid even less than me to supposedly be on that beach, but that doesn't mean I automatically thought their presence there was unfair.

I'm going to quit now because I just don't see this ending well.
My nightly rate at the Poly. No need to be snide. I'm just pointing out why people who pay Poly prices are miffed when they can't enjoy their own resort. I'm sure if it was happening at POR you would feel the same way.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #2850
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Honestly I could be considered a Poly elitist as when I stay at the Poly I only stay concierge and all but one of the times Lagoon View so you know I wasn't paying bottom of the barrel prices. My shortest visit was four nights and my longest 8 with most being in the 6 night visit. I can't say for sure how many times I have stayed there but my best guess is 6-8 times.

I have always heard from Disney that a Disney guest is any person who is on property to enjoy the resort (not to harm it) whether it be the parks, the transportations, the resorts or just driving through enjoying the scenery.

I think those who want the Poly for themselves better not venture over to the GF to enjoy the ammenties of their lobby (the Big Band, the piano player, or the GF Gingerbread house)...it's all the same...just think of those poor GF guests who can't get a seat in their own lobby at Christmas due to all the visitors to the resort.

No visiting AKL on a "themeparkless" visit to get a peek at the animals as that is an ammenity of the AKL then...etc and so forth.

No visits to the Boardwalk; that entertainment is just for them!

The Poly is a popular resort due to its real estate and the it's just the way it is.

Oh and my concierge visits began when I was invited into the concierge lounge by a guest there and the concierge invited us to stay and have desserts and enjoy the fireworks. It had us hooked. And many would say we had no right to be there despite the invitation by concierge.

It's something to think about - the perk visits go both ways.

Liz
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: