Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #16
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
so i've decided... after tossing up all the good/bad/ugly sides of this situation...

we'll just keep saving our little tushies off and we'll make it happen.

thanks for the feedback on this though... it's been helpful to see how many of us are all dedicated savers
As I said before, Alicia you are clearly a really dedicated saver and I feel very excited for you that you have a renewed drive to make this happen.

But with that said, I think you were offered up some great ideas here if you fall a little short.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #17
miss.potatohead
Mouseketeer

I'm a lurker of sorts and do read most threads here but don't tend to comment all that often, but Alicia your dedication to saving for your trip has really motivated me to do the same. This isn't that relevant to your main conundrum but I'm saving myself (for what, I don't know...a car, but preferably travel). Between uni and work I manage to get in around 15-20 hours a week of work which gives me more than enough income (hey the joys of still living at home) and as tempting as it is to go for a shop on ASOS or whatever online, the money is transferred straight into my high interest account so I can't touch it.

For me, purchasing big ticket items (my latest one was a macbook) with my own money is much more rewarding, as I know that I've earned every cent of it. Probably a little different when you have other expenses to worry about, but that's just my two cents Good luck and whatever ends up happening, I'm certain it'll be for the best.
miss.potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #18
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss.potatohead View Post
I'm a lurker of sorts and do read most threads here but don't tend to comment all that often, but Alicia your dedication to saving for your trip has really motivated me to do the same. This isn't that relevant to your main conundrum but I'm saving myself (for what, I don't know...a car, but preferably travel). Between uni and work I manage to get in around 15-20 hours a week of work which gives me more than enough income (hey the joys of still living at home) and as tempting as it is to go for a shop on ASOS or whatever online, the money is transferred straight into my high interest account so I can't touch it.

For me, purchasing big ticket items (my latest one was a macbook) with my own money is much more rewarding, as I know that I've earned every cent of it. Probably a little different when you have other expenses to worry about, but that's just my two cents Good luck and whatever ends up happening, I'm certain it'll be for the best.

Alicia,

I think you are doing well with your savings and goals. I would not take out a loan or credit card specifically for a holiday but I don't think having the idea for back up is bad either. I know personal loans can be approved and in your bank within a few days. Maybe stick to your plan and if in the final hour you fall short you have that as a back up. Also maybe skimp on things such as shopping and souvenirs and just make it mostly about the experience. Good luck I know it will be worth it all in the end.
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Mum from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #19
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum from oz View Post

Alicia,

I think you are doing well with your savings and goals. I would not take out a loan or credit card specifically for a holiday but I don't think having the idea for back up is bad either. I know personal loans can be approved and in your bank within a few days. Maybe stick to your plan and if in the final hour you fall short you have that as a back up. Also maybe skimp on things such as shopping and souvenirs and just make it mostly about the experience. Good luck I know it will be worth it all in the end.
awww thanks -- this is kinda where i was thinking about it too... after tax returns and sort of when we're in the final months etc, if we wanted to, we could get the extra $$$ if need be as a bit of a back up..

moving forward... now to try and find more accomodation deals... stupid favourite accomodation place of ours just went up hugely in price. almost comparable for the price to staying on site at PPH -- except that is miles away from the front gates and we want to be as close as possible for as cheap as possible while still maintaining a level of safety/cleanliness etc...

me (alicia): dbf (carlo):
2011 vacation - Of Mice, and Wizards and Pirates, oh my!

2013 trip - 3 castles and a Disney boat - a work in progress
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #20
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran

Alicia - everyone has already given you encouragement about limiting your debt on consumables like holidays - but - one thing I have done, and continue to watch is citibank credit cards.
Over the past 8 years I have watched them regularly put out very good interest rate offers for when you open a new account and transfer the debt from another card. 8 years ago I got 4.9% for the life of paying off the transfer! Last year I got 1.9% for 15 months. Then I divided the debt into 15 payments, set up autotransfer in my internet banking, put the card away and didn't use it. The interest rate if you start using those cards is something usually shocking like 23% or more.
Of course the problem is that you are still paying off the old holiday whilst planning for the next one. Very hard to get ahead!
Sugarglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #21
Beee
Mouseketeer

our plan

is to save for our trip over the next 7 months and we will all going well have 99.9% of the trip paid but as this is our first real family overseas holiday Iím a bit worried that I will have underestimated on some things, forgotten to budget for something or that weíll be so dependent on what the dollar is doing and our luck will be that itíll bottom out the day before we fly or something. So weíre getting a CC for back up, itís a hugely exciting trip for us and I donít want to be constantly watching the pennies while weíre away. I donít mind doing that all year, making the budget stretch to save as much as possible but I donít want to have to say no to stuff on holiday. So if it comes to it and we have a few thousand dollars on the CC when we get home then so be it, weíll just knuckle down and budget again for a couple of months to pay it off. I would not however put the bulk of the trip on credit though, I know people who do this and I think it must be quite depressing to still be paying for a holiday a year or more afterwards. But then I guess it really depends on your own personal feelings about debt, we donít have any apart from the mortgage, and we donít even have a credit card currently just one of those debit cards that act like a CC but use your own money so I am not so keen on debt because it took us a looooong time to pay off debt racked up when we were young and clueless.

Beee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #22
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beee View Post
is to save for our trip over the next 7 months and we will all going well have 99.9% of the trip paid but as this is our first real family overseas holiday Iím a bit worried that I will have underestimated on some things, forgotten to budget for something or that weíll be so dependent on what the dollar is doing and our luck will be that itíll bottom out the day before we fly or something. So weíre getting a CC for back up, itís a hugely exciting trip for us and I donít want to be constantly watching the pennies while weíre away. I donít mind doing that all year, making the budget stretch to save as much as possible but I donít want to have to say no to stuff on holiday. So if it comes to it and we have a few thousand dollars on the CC when we get home then so be it, weíll just knuckle down and budget again for a couple of months to pay it off. I would not however put the bulk of the trip on credit though, I know people who do this and I think it must be quite depressing to still be paying for a holiday a year or more afterwards. But then I guess it really depends on your own personal feelings about debt, we donít have any apart from the mortgage, and we donít even have a credit card currently just one of those debit cards that act like a CC but use your own money so I am not so keen on debt because it took us a looooong time to pay off debt racked up when we were young and clueless.
this seems like a great idea... and is kinda what we were thinking of as well. we only have savings and debit cards (debit mastercard we can use online/overseas if we need to). we also have the 28 degrees mastercard (with a $0 balance) which gives no foreign transaction fees, no overseas processing fees etc, which is quite good. i was hoping to take this a genuine back up only, but depending how we go, we might end up using some of this to pay for some expenses whilst on the trip. we much prefer to deal in cash as that way we're not getting into debt etc. and the idea of putting the whole trip on a loan or credit card is just scary -- for me at least. others i know have... and that's entirely at their discretion -- but i'm happy with where we are right now and with my health only improving from here, fingers crossed we should be able to have a really, really nice trip

Old 07-04-2012, 03:15 AM   #23
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Well today we applied and were approved for a credit card I thought i should fess up on here since i had said earlier i didn't think it was a good idea with DH's ex employer telling us they were not sending out the group certificates till the 14th July we decided our spending money was just on to fine of an edge without our tax money and FTB reconciliation coming through whilst we are away, still hoping it will be done before we leave but couldn't count on it.
We got a AMEX card with QFF and it has a 0% interest on anything you spend for the first 6 months. I am trying not to beat myself up over the fact that i failed to save enough for us to have a slush fund on our trip the unplanned for occurrences of this year have forced our hand The good news is the tax return will cover it as soon as it is through
Old 07-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #24
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMUMOF4 View Post
Well today we applied and were approved for a credit card I thought i should fess up on here since i had said earlier i didn't think it was a good idea with DH's ex employer telling us they were not sending out the group certificates till the 14th July we decided our spending money was just on to fine of an edge without our tax money and FTB reconciliation coming through whilst we are away, still hoping it will be done before we leave but couldn't count on it.
We got a AMEX card with QFF and it has a 0% interest on anything you spend for the first 6 months. I am trying not to beat myself up over the fact that i failed to save enough for us to have a slush fund on our trip the unplanned for occurrences of this year have forced our hand The good news is the tax return will cover it as soon as it is through
I'm counting down the days till DH's bonus comes in..has been spent twice already

tax time..gotta love it....

australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:59 AM   #25
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Seriously do not beat yourself up over it ... At least you will have your tax return to come home to .. I have budgeted our expenses pretty tightly and if our tax returns arent as good as i have calculated/prayed for then we are up a proverbial creek .. This trip is costing approx $10k more than our last and the extra $$$are killing us ... I am already working approx 10 hours overtime at work each week to try and make some extra cash ... We all do what we can to make our trip dreams come true ...

Old 07-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #26
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
I'm counting down the days till DH's bonus comes in..has been spent twice already

tax time..gotta love it....

if only the would all learn to pay us on our Disney holiday time Do they not know the stress they cause us
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
Seriously do not beat yourself up over it ... At least you will have your tax return to come home to .. I have budgeted our expenses pretty tightly and if our tax returns arent as good as i have calculated/prayed for then we are up a proverbial creek .. This trip is costing approx $10k more than our last and the extra $$$are killing us ... I am already working approx 10 hours overtime at work each week to try and make some extra cash ... We all do what we can to make our trip dreams come true ...
Yep that's us at least $10k more and man that extra money is a thanks for making me feel better DH said we have spent so much on this trip it is for us to be having to watch every penny like a hawk when we know we can clear it with the tax return and the 6 months with 0% interest was a lovely bonus
Old 07-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #27
battymum
DIS Veteran

I would never go away without quick access to money should I need it, even for things that your travel insurance would cover - its easier to just pay and claim it back - say lost bags etc.

We had not a care in the world on our cruise last year and only ever carried our shipcard - but when the Costa Concordia sank this year - I said to DH that I would always carry my credit card around - those that had them were able to get secure accommodation, transport and flights straight away.
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: