Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
Dawncala
Collector of magical memories and pixie dust

Cabin 9077 is #1

Even though we probably would have received an upgrade (we know many others did) had we booked with “guaranteed” status, we chose to pre-select our exact cabin at time of booking. We really wanted to experience one of the new animated porthole rooms at least once. Our cabin, #9077, was on deck nine mid-ship, just behind the stairs and elevators. It was a super convenient location. No matter where we were headed we felt like we didn’t have too far to travel. The kids loved that it was exactly two short floors straight up to the soft serve ice cream machine. I was concerned that we’d hear noise from people at the elevators, or hear the elevators themselves, but we never did. In fact the room was surprisingly quiet day and night.

It is interesting to note that the interior cabin doors do not face the main hallway, but are in their own mini-hallways running perpendicular to the port and starboard hallways. Our little hall had four cabin doors. I heard this format was a little confusing for people searching for rooms to hand out fish extenders gifts because you can’t see all the room numbers unless you enter the hall, but I think it gave us extra privacy and perhaps cut down on some hallway noise.

DCL opened access to the cabins around 1:30 and all our luggage was waiting for us by the door. This standard inside category 11A stateroom is only 169 sq ft which makes it the smallest cabin size on board. (even smaller than the 187 sq feet on the Magic and Wonder) It only has the one full bathroom, not a split, which was the thing that worried me most about booking this cabin size. With some careful storage choices and flexibility with the bathroom we made it work. It would be a better fit for a couple than a family though.

A couple of new feature of the rooms are the electronic door locks and key-card room lights. To enter the room you swipe your key-to-the-world card over the sensor and the door unlocks. You can even keep your KTTW card in your plastic lanyard holder and it still works. We did discover that if you have multiple KTTW cards in the holder together the sensor doesn’t work.

Once inside the room there is a slot to put your KTTW card which activates the cabin lights. When you remove the card there is a delay before the lights shut off. You can use any similar sized card in the slot. We used an old Arcade card we had so we didn’t have to keep removing our KTTW card from our lanyards. I do applaud Disney’s desire to conserve power and go green when possible. I need this system for my house. My kids are constantly leaving lights and electronics on. Other room features we utilized…mini-fridge, closet safe and Wave phones. All were working properly during our stay.

We mailed down a box (zappos) filled with Fish Extender gifts in advance and it was waiting in the cabin.

Unfortunately, in the smaller cabin there is also a smaller desk area. Keeping it neat and organized was a daily chore.

The main beds on the Fantasy are very, very comfortable. (I had a hard time dragging DH out each morning) DCL has also put the beds on raised legs so all the suitcases, even our extra-large one, fit underneath easily. We used the suitcases to store dirty laundry and items we wouldn’t be using every day. Everything was still very easy to get to when we needed it. Also, the sofa table is actually a chest so we put the kids’ folded clothing in there and DH and I used the shelves in the closet. I hung most everything. The closets are actually quite spacious and DCL provides a decent number of hangers, but I’m sure we could have asked for more if necessary.

DS didn’t have any complaints about the fold out sofa bed, but DD was not thrilled with the upper pull-down berth. She is 5 foot 4 inches tall now and she couldn’t stretch out fully on the bunk without hitting the railing so she had to sleep on a diagonal. (A small price to pay for cruise she didn’t pay for)

stay tuned for "Cabin- part 2"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: