Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #16
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

Joining the fun. I love Perry. We are using ducks this trip.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
figment52
Oh man, I checked out the website only to discover that I am Older than Peeps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawncala View Post
Our layover was in Atlanta. (as oh so many flights are) The most memorable thing that happened was on the ramp as we stepped off the plane. My kids experienced their first “near summer” humidity in the south to which my daughter loudly exclaimed. “Oh My God…what the hell is wrong with Georgia?” Followed by giggles from the other passengers. We have only traveled to Florida between October and February so they have never experienced the special heat and humidity the south offers the other months of the year.

take her back in August
figment52 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
Dawncala
Collector of magical memories and pixie dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEeyore View Post
Joining the fun. I love Perry. We are using ducks this trip.
Fun! We took a dozen mini-ducks on our Hawaii trip a couple years ago. We took photos of them all over the island and then left them for people to find with the message "Take me with you" written on the bottom.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
Dawncala

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment52 View Post

take her back in August
Too funny. She'd sit like a puddle in a corner in August. (A super whiney, complaining puddle)
Old 06-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
Dawncala

Saturday, May 26: Sheraton Four Points

I was up around 7:30. I hit the showers first and discovered a significant downside to this hotel. Water pressure in the shower was non-existent. The water came out of the showerhead by what seemed like gravity alone and it took everyone triple the time to shower. Except for the shower, the room was clean and comfortable and the hotel was quite nice. We’d stay there again if we could be assured better water pressure in another room.

Once I was ready I woke the family. Turns out DH had done some last minute work last night and didn’t go to sleep until 2:00 AM so he chose to go back for another hour of sleep rather than joining us for breakfast.The kids and I went downstairs to eat and explore. The Sheraton has a big shark tank between their restaurant and surf shop so we ate at the counter, took photos and named all the fish in the tank. Since we had Perry with us we went with a Phineas and Ferb motif.

Perry and "Dr. Doofenshmirtz"

We named these two "Phineas and Ferb" because they were always together.

A secret secret agent needs his vitamin C

After eating we explored the HUGE surf shop and then went outside to take some photos.

The front of the hotel is decorated with gigantic surf boards

A Starbucks for our Seattle family made us feel right at home

We picked up coffee and a breakfast sandwich for DH at the in-house Starbucks and went to wake him. While he ate and dressed we finished packing the luggage and waited expectantly for it to be time to leave for the cruise.

Just up the road we returned the rental car to Avis. We were told that they would take us over to the port as soon as Disney sent word that they had finished disembarking the previous cruise and were ready for us. It was probably only a few minutes later that they announced we were given the green light to go.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #21
Dawncala

1st Impressions Count

The first view of the Fantasy was amazing. She is simply beautiful.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #22
Dawncala

Terminal Time

We gave our luggage to the porters and got in line to go through security. The line was moving quickly and we were riding up the escalator in no time. We arrived at the Castaway Club queue exactly 2 minutes past our 11:00 check-in time.

We handed over our required paperwork, but then the computers froze (or something). Cast Members up and down the line were having trouble getting any Key-To-The-World cards to print. A manager came around to check things out. Finally the cards slowly started printing. DH got his, then both kids, but mine wasn’t printing. DS asked “Mom, does that mean you can’t get on the ship?” I replied. “No son. I WILL be on that ship.” My card printed a few moments later and we were given boarding number 5.

DH and I in front of the scale model of the Magic with Sailor Goofy nearby.

Photos of the Disney Fantasy from the observation deck.

I took a couple of photos around the terminal and from the observation deck while the family found a spot on the floor to camp out. Captain Mickey and other characters were available for photos, but the lines were super long so we decided to wait for other character opportunities onboard.

"Waiting to hear "Number 5"

Captain Mickey going to take his turn in the photo line

The terminal was very crowded at this point. Before we knew it they were announcing the “family of the day” and boarding the Concierge group. Does anyone know how one becomes the “Family of the day”? Is it a concierge family or could it be anyone? This family was wearing matching shirts. Is that a factor? I meant to ask a cast member, but I forgot.

All the families kept edging closer and closer to the entrance so they’d be ready when their number was called. When #3 was called a family passing by us was trying to get through, but there were so many people they were blocked. The husband said to his wife “I guess we’re going to have to push”. I said “or you could say excuse me.” I was as eager to get on board as anyone, but let’s not forget our manners people or this will be an unhappy sailing for everyone. (I don’t know if they heard me or not, but his wife did say “Pardon me.” to someone.)

The magical entrance to a week of relaxation

Me and DS ready to board

Finally number 5 was called and we were on our way through the big mouse eared opening. DD’s card wasn’t scanning properly and I turned just in time to see a cast member taking her and DH into a side room. I didn’t know her card was broken and secretly hoped she had just won a magical surprise or something. (one can always dream) All they did was politely fix her card and send us back on our way.

Next was the pre-boarding photo and finally it was time to have our name announced. (This part always makes me a little teary and DH teases me) We boarded at almost exactly noon.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
Dawncala

Quick Cruise Overview

Dining Rotation: ERAERRA (late seating)

Saturday, May 26: Cruise Casual – A Fantasy Come True show

Sunday, May 27: At Sea - Formal Night – Disney’s Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular

Monday, May 28: Grand Cayman - Cruise Casual – Live Entertainment (David Williamson: Comedy Magician)

Tuesday, May 29: Costa Maya – Cruise Casual – Disney Wishes show

Wednesday, May 30: Cozumel – Pirate Night – Movie night (The Avengers 3-D)

Thursday, May 31: At Sea – Semi Formal – Disney’s Believe show

Friday, June 1: Castaway Cay – Cruise Casual – An Unforgettable Journey show

Rather than post the Navigators at the beginning of each day, and having them all spaced out throughout this trip report, here is a link to all of them at once. I also included the Port maps and the debarking instructions.

Links to Navigators:
http://smu.gs/NwUHPx
Old 06-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #24
inmyis
Disney Dude and Diva

I remember your lovely family. I rode the Avis shuttle with you to the sip. We also had a great time. Anxious for more!
inmyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #25
Dawncala

Please welcome the “OMG, I can’t believe we’re finally here, I can’t stop smiling” family.

WOW! It’s difficult to put into words the sheer size and beauty of the Fantasy. I loved everything about her and didn’t know where to look first. We circled the lobby a couple of times taking photos and oohing and aahing at everything. (Yes, I was literally making the silly noises) I think my favorite things are the chandeliers, but I also love the peacock tail carpet, and the mosaics around the ship are simply stunning. We hung out in the atrium for about 15 minutes looking up and down the long hallways and getting our bearings. Then we headed up to Cabanas for lunch before it got too crowded.

Here is a link to photos of the atrium and a few hallways.
http://smu.gs/N0QW7m
Old 06-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #26
Dawncala

Cabanas

When we got to Cabanas it wasnt very crowded at all. Had we noticed at the time how big it actually is it would have made sense.

Perry met with Australia's "Agent P"

Sand "Castle" art

Through the main center doors there is a right AND a left buffet line of equal size, and that size is extra-large.

We found a window table and DH and the kids went off to check out the buffet while Perry and I sat with the bags. Cast members were going around offering drinks of the day (additional fee) and selling cases of water which they would deliver to your stateroom. I opted for neither. Another CM insisted on getting me an iced tea while I waited for my family to return (so sweet) so I took her up on her offer. We had at least three CMs offer us drinks or cases of water while we ate. They politely left when we declined. (No hard sell)

Many self-serve drink stations are located throughout the dining area

The view of Port Canaveral harbor while Perry and I watched the table

DS's first meal. I understand the lamb and big pile of proscuitto (two of his favorites), but I don't understand the two lonely french fries

DH's lunch (plate #1) We definitely got our money worth of crab claws and peel-and-eat shrimp on this cruise

We ate many breakfasts and lunches at Cabanas during the cruise and we never had any difficulty finding a table. For the most part the food was hot, fresh and there was always a large variety. One thing that is different from the Wonder is that the desserts at the buffets were behind glass and not self-serve. There are CMs there to get you whatever you want and you can have as many as you wish. Also, right next to the dessert cabinet you can get hand scooped ice cream with (or without) toppings like hot fudge and sprinkles. We loved having this option in addition to the free flowing soft serve near the pool.

The deserts varied from day to day so if you see something you like don't wait with plans to get it tomorrow

Last edited by Dawncala; 09-08-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Dawncala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #27
goofymama
DIS Veteran

I sure didn't plan it this way, but I ended up eating at Cabanas just 1 time the entire time I was there. It was the first sea day for breakfast. I tried one time for a ate lunch, but they weren't open. I'm not a big breakfast eater, so the rest of the time I ended up eating lunch at Flo's. I never made it to the MDRs for lunch either. The week just went by way too fast!

DL: 1965 WDW offsite:1975,1979,1981,1995 WDW Poly: May 2003 WDW POFQ: April 2005 WDW Dolphin: Oct 2007
Magic (W): May 2004 Magic (W): Jan 2006 RCCL (E): June 2009 Fantasy (W): May 2012

goofymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #28
Dawncala

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofymama View Post
The week just went by way too fast!
I so agree. If it wasn't for all the photos I'd swear I dreamed the whole thing.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #29
verygfy
DIS Veteran

Great start!! The week did fly by and you are right about time speeding away with a vengeance since we got off the cruise. I can't believe that a month has gone by since we got off
verygfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #30
Dawncala

Quote:
Originally Posted by verygfy View Post
Great start!! The week did fly by and you are right about time speeding away with a vengeance since we got off the cruise. I can't believe that a month has gone by since we got off
Wow, it has been a only month. (Although it feels like the cruise was a lifetime ago) I'm going to have to start planning the cruise we prebooked onboard to slow down time again. Time always creeps by when I'm waiting expectantly for our next Disney vacation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: