Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
TopRowSeat
Married to a DIS Veteran

Not a lot to add here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post

I was up at 2:00!
So... you were awake early enough that if you hurried you could have still made it to the bar before it closed. Just sayin'

Quote:

The traffic was not too bad...
Ugh, the pickup / dropoff lane was crazy. We sat, squeezed, wiggled and finally made our way to drop off on pier 90. I kept Matt with me to help keep an eye on signs and then proceeded to ignore most of them. I found myself in the right lane needing to make a left turn where I'm pretty sure I saw a "No Left Turn" sign. Yeah, well....

After my left turn we waiting again a couple of lights to turn back into the port. This time we made the lovely right turn at the top of the ramp towards parking. I was prepared for the bill but still choked a little on the $280 parking charge.

The security guy and security dog gave us a once over but we must not have looked or smelled too dangerous so they let us pass.

The rest of it was all... fine... Not nearly as smooth and efficient as Port Canaveral. They appeared to be having computer problems but I'm not sure if it was the computer system itself or the people trying to use them that were the problem.

The Castaway Club check in line moved along ok but then we moved to the kid club line... I was getting rather impatient at this point. They only had two computers available to get wristbands for the kid's clubs. That line just inched along. By the time we got through that one I had been in one line or another for almost 90 minutes and I was ready for a drink. They called our number almost immediately and we were herding through to the pre-boarding photo (also known as the skinny photo) and off to the ship!

Whoops... not so fast.. after the photo it seems that Disney was having second thoughts about allowing one of us to board the ship. I don't think it was a coindidence that Kristi's card didn't work. It was painful to stand there an extra few minutes and wait while she got a new card... so close to heaven but yet so far.

Finally they decided that she wasn't dangerous and we were allowed to enter....

'00 Dixie Landings + DCL (Wonder) / '06 WL / '08 POFQ / '10 BLT / '11 DCL (Magic) / '12 DCL (Magic) / '13 AKV / '13 DCL (Fantasy) / '14 HHI / '14 DCL (Dream) / '15 DCL (Wonder)
TopRowSeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
GreenCntryGirl
The DIS keeps me up past my bedtime.

Quote:
It was really good. We are going to Chicago in July and going to get a deep dish to compare NYC/Chicago pizza.

Don't let him fool you everyone - he is as big of a Disney nerd as the rest of us .
:::gasp:::

There is no comparison! Chicago rocks!

But, I may be a little biased.

Mimi, Papa, Daddy, Uncle Alec, and Boo
Star Wars Weekend 2013
All Star Music
GreenCntryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #18
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Hi Kristi and Steve! You are already farther along in your report than I am- I guess I need to get on the ball!

The bus tour sounds fun- I wish we'd gotten in a little earlier and had more time to spend in New York. You guys are brave to drive in, I am totally intimidated by the way people drive there- I'd probably have a coronary!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #19
TopRowSeat
Married to a DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingbooty View Post
You guys are brave to drive in, I am totally intimidated by the way people drive there- I'd probably have a coronary!
Ah... you see we moved to Ohio a few years ago: "Home of the worst drivers in the country" I think that may actually be the state motto.

I've learned lots of bad habits in Ohio that translated nicely to driving in NYC.

It wasn't too bad really. Arriving in the city at 3:30AM helped keep the stress level down and then on Sunday morning the traffic was again pretty light for the trip out. The only real driving excitement was trying to loop around from the dropoff lane back to the port parking.

'00 Dixie Landings + DCL (Wonder) / '06 WL / '08 POFQ / '10 BLT / '11 DCL (Magic) / '12 DCL (Magic) / '13 AKV / '13 DCL (Fantasy) / '14 HHI / '14 DCL (Dream) / '15 DCL (Wonder)
Old 06-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCntryGirl View Post
:::gasp:::

There is no comparison! Chicago rocks!

But, I may be a little biased.
Our boys are going to camp for a week in July, so Steve and I are going to head to Chicago for 3 nights. I will have to let you know how the Chicago pizza fairs with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingbooty View Post
Hi Kristi and Steve! You are already farther along in your report than I am- I guess I need to get on the ball!

The bus tour sounds fun- I wish we'd gotten in a little earlier and had more time to spend in New York. You guys are brave to drive in, I am totally intimidated by the way people drive there- I'd probably have a coronary!
HI Rebecca - We lucked out with getting into the city early. I'm sure it would have been more difficult had we arrived during the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopRowSeat View Post
Ah... you see we moved to Ohio a few years ago: "Home of the worst drivers in the country" I think that may actually be the state motto.

I've learned lots of bad habits in Ohio that translated nicely to driving in NYC.

It wasn't too bad really. Arriving in the city at 3:30AM helped keep the stress level down and then on Sunday morning the traffic was again pretty light for the trip out. The only real driving excitement was trying to loop around from the dropoff lane back to the port parking.
I agree with Steve - Ohio has some of the worst drivers.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #21
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

After we entered that beautiful atrium and heard our name, I headed to guest services to get our name put on the wait list for a cabana. We had a cabana on our last cruise and loved it. The plan was to share one this year with Brook and her family. They were all reserved by 90 days out and I checked every day but was not able to get one. I got our name on the list but never did get one. We had a great time on CC without the cabana though.

After guest services we were off to Parrot Cay for our first meal!

After a great lunch we decided to go check out the Edge. This was Matt's first time in the Tween club so we wanted to see what it was all about. The Edge is pretty neat with video games, chairs and couches to hang out and the ship simulator. We hung out there for a bit and then up to deck 5 to see the Lab. Shawn hung out in the Lab on the last cruise and loved it so I knew he would have a great time.

It still was not time to head to our stateroom so we went up to deck 10 to check out the skyline.

I love this building. Does anyone know what it is? I'm assuming it's apartments.

Around 1:30 we went to check out our stateroom 6042. I loved the location of this room. In between the mid and forward stairs. It was easy to get everywhere.

Once we got to our room, I noticed that our character breakfast was scheduled for the next day (Sunday). We had Palo brunch scheduled for this day so I went down to Rockin Bar D and changed brunch to Monday. We wanted to have brunch early on in the week before we got too full .

I also booked a spa treatment 20-20-20 for Sunday morning.

By the time I got back to the room our luggage had arrived so I got that all put away in time to head to our DISmeet.

Steve enjoying his first beer of the cruise

Darlene and Jill

It was great to talk to everyone. I am bummed that I didn't get my picture taken with any of the ladies.

Up next: Sailaway!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #22
GoofyTwinDad
Mouseketeer

Great trip report so far. Love the banter between you and Steve. Maybe you should think of going the same route as Alfred & Seymore. Looking forward to the remainder of your TR.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #23
TopRowSeat
Married to a DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyTwinDad View Post
Great trip report so far. Love the banter between you and Steve. Maybe you should think of going the same route as Alfred & Seymore. Looking forward to the remainder of your TR.
Yes! I will try to remember to heckle anyone who comes in late...

Old 06-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #24
GoofyTwinDad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yes! I will try to remember to heckle anyone who comes in late...
If you went to the family show, I was the one who got heckled for standing and I wasn't late. . Feel free to heckle anytime.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #25
TopRowSeat
Married to a DIS Veteran

Quote:

After we entered that beautiful atrium and heard our name, I headed to guest services to get our name put on the wait list for a cabana
You're forgetting what a glorious adventure this was. We got a lovely tour of the ship trying to get our name on the waiting list. First stop the excursion desk where we booked the cabana last time. They sent us to Rockin' Bar D... who sent us to Sessions... who sent us to Guest Services....

But I digress.. happier times from here on out. It is not possible to be on a Disney cruise and remain annoyed for long.

Quote:

After guest services we were off to Parrot Cay for our first meal!
One big improvement this time over our last cruise is that all four of us remained on our feet on our way to and from the buffet. There were no loud crashes and "Oh no! That's *MY* kid." moments.

We did look to see if there was a chalk outline of Shawn spread-eagle on the floor from our last first lunch on the Magic.. He had to suffer many good-natured jokes during lunch including a made-for-TV docudrama version of the event as we grossly embellished the story during the retelling.
  • Parked - CHECK
  • On the ship - CHECK
  • Lunch - CHECK

Hmmm... what's missing from this list?

Quote:

Steve enjoying his first beer of the cruise

Now you've found my Happy Place... Lines? Computer problems? All gone.. Beer! NOW we can cruise.

Was a pleasure meeting Tom and Doyle, both seem like really good guys. It's a shame we didn't get to hang out more during the cruise.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #26
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Loving the trip report!
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #27
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyTwinDad View Post
Thanks! It was great meeting you and your family. You will have to let us know if you are coming to Twins Days.

Quote:
You're forgetting what a glorious adventure this was. We got a lovely tour of the ship trying to get our name on the waiting list. First stop the excursion desk where we booked the cabana last time. They sent us to Rockin' Bar D... who sent us to Sessions... who sent us to Guest Services....

Yes - it was a bit frustrating getting sent everywhere.

But I digress.. happier times from here on out. It is not possible to be on a Disney cruise and remain annoyed for long.

One big improvement this time over our last cruise is that all four of us remained on our feet on our way to and from the buffet. There were no loud crashes and "Oh no! That's *MY* kid." moments.

We did look to see if there was a chalk outline of Shawn spread-eagle on the floor from our last first lunch on the Magic.. He had to suffer many good-natured jokes during lunch including a made-for-TV docudrama version of the event as we grossly embellished the story during the retelling.
  • Parked - CHECK
  • On the ship - CHECK
  • Lunch - CHECK

Hmmm... what's missing from this list?

Now you've found my Happy Place... Lines? Computer problems? All gone.. Beer! NOW we can cruise.

I had my first drink-of-the-day at the DISmeet

Was a pleasure meeting Tom and Doyle, both seem like really good guys. It's a shame we didn't get to hang out more during the cruise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneytheKid View Post
Loving the trip report!
Thanks!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #28
mommy2mb
Mouseketeer

Joining in!!

mommy2mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #29
15isto2
DIS Veteran

Signing up to hear the tween saga

15isto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #30
wendydarling78
She's a Darling...

Quote:
Um, no we blame all the bad driving on those from PA! (Since we are minutes from the OH/PA line!)

Enjoying your trip report so far! Keep going!

Wendy
Also from NE Ohio- near Youngstown
My grandparents lived in Deland, FL, so we visited them and spent around 3 days at WDW EVERY summer when I was younger. My sister and I totally thought that every kid went to WDW every year! LOL! RCCL Caribbean cruise- 1997, RCCL Caribbean Honeymoon cruise- 2000, HAL Hawaiian Christmas/New Year's cruise- 2001-2002,WDW (Coronado Springs)- 2003, HAL Caribbean cruise 2004, Sesame Place- 2008, WDW (Fort Wilderness campgrounds)- 2009, WDW Halloween trip- 2010, Carnival cruise- 2012, DCL Magic Caribbean cruise- 2012
wendydarling78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: