Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #46
jlindemer
Mouseketeer

I filled out the application/background check and I am signed up for orientation next Tuesday evening!

jlindemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:01 AM   #47
hockeymomNS
Has an in with immigration
There will be no discussion of the mud!

Oh you will love it. I can't wait to go back.
hockeymomNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #48
Alicenwonderment
Earning My Ears

I wonder how long they keep their records of background info? I volunteered a few times on the college program in Spring 97. The CP volunteer sign ups filled so fast. When I went back on advanced Spring Internship I had over 100 hours from Jan to June. I'm wondering since it was so long ago would they want us to do the background check. Since I was there every Sunday for parents night out there was a group of us core volunteers that assigned the volunteers to families while the parents were sent to dinner. While the parents were away the kids had a cp volunteer that played in the castle, went to dinner with their assigned families, went for ice cream sundaes, and then Nick would have entertainment in the castle. If their were children with more complex needs we may be assigned to that child. Another thing that I got to experience was driving the Mayor's yellow car. I was able to help the Mayor get ready before hand and help lead for the tuck ins. I also saw Christmas at the village. I was able to set up something special for a wish child that would be celebrating her birthday the next day in Epcot. Some people voiced a concern of it being a sad experience. The first time I volunteered I had the same concern but there was so much happy faces that I was relieved of the concern the second I interacted with people in the village. Many times kids seem to perk up and feel better while visiting the village. I credit this experience with me becoming involved with MAW and now cole's foundation.org I have worked with many families and kids. Oh one more question. The village has added so much since I was last there. To volunteer with the horses is their anything special you need?
Alicenwonderment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #49
Sehsun
DIS Veteran

I believe you would need to redo the background check, as their systems have changed since 1997.

It sounds like you had a great experience while on the CP! I do agree that GKTW is a happy place for families.

They prefer horse experience to volunteer in the horse program, but it is not necessary. You can always contact them at volunteer@gktw.org for any further questions.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #50
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

My family (me, DW, and DD-18) volunteered at GKTW on 8/17/14 for the first time, but it will definitely not be the last! What a great experience. The families were very appreciative of the volunteers. It was great to be able to help folks enjoy their time there and see them all smiling and having a good time.

I was the "train conductor" who drove the little tram that shuttles people around the village. I was paired with one other volunteer and we split the shift. I drove first and then we switched and I worked the back, letting people on and off and finding out where they wanted to go. My wife ran the carousel. My daughter was the photography assistant, recording who each photo belonged to.

I would highly, highly recommend doing this on your next trip to Disney. The village is about 20 minutes from Disney property right off route 192. Very easy to get to.

We will definitely go back on future trips.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
give kids the world, make a wish

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: