Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #1411
birkner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bareacuda View Post
Both sides! Really... we walked all day seeing both sides, something intresting everywhere for us.

Annie
Thanks Annie!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #1412
Bareacuda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkner View Post
Thanks Annie!
welcome.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #1413
annichan
There's a platypus controlling me, he's underneath the table

Really sad to hear there won't be a WBTA ... It seems like we will fall back on our plans to do the LA-Vancouver repo b2b with the first Alaska cruise in 2013 instead.

Don't get me wrong, those cruises are bound to be fantastic so it seems like there wasn't any reason for me to be sad ... But with the cost of the cruises and the airfare, this is just way more expensive than the WBTA would have been, so there still is very much a real possibility that we won't be able to do it.

Guess I'll just have to get even more disciplined about saving money until then - and work on convincing DH a bit more

2005: It all started with DLP Disneyland Paris (3 nights) / 2009: Honeymoon at Wilderness Lodge (15 nights)
2010: Magic Western Caribbean, then BCV (11 nights) / 2011: Magic Mediterranean Cruise (Magic, 11 nights)
2011: Our return to Disneyland Resort Paris (4 nights) / August 2012: NYC to Castaway Cay and Canada (B2B, Magic, 13 nights)
2013: Westbound Panama Canal Cruise (Wonder, 14 nights) + 3 days at Disneyland / 2014: Westbound Transatlantic and Southern Caribbean (B2B, Magic, 21 nights)

Last edited by annichan; 06-27-2012 at 06:21 AM.
annichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:05 AM   #1414
Piggeldy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
P.S. Do you live in Germany? I spent a week there before traveling to Amsterdam for the cruise.
Yes I am.
Did my accent give me away?

I am "from the North" - northwest really, close to the Dutch boarder and the North See but had to move further south to go to university and now seem to be stuck here (due to permanent position).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicasMom View Post
So many possibilities to consider...maybe a TA, maybe not (Scandinavia looks amazing!)
Scandinavia is amazing!
Though I really always advocate for getting an Interrail ticket (or similar railway ticket) and experiencing more than "just" the coastline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annichan View Post
But with the cost of the cruises and the airfare, this is just way more expensive than the WBTA would have been, so there still is very much a real possibility that we won't be able to do it.
Airfare is bad. And the flight home takes forever. We would love to see Alaska but it's just really, really far away and if you aren't lucky the airfare nearly doubles the price of the cruise.

Eh. When we have retired Alaska's nature will hopefully still be there. And we wouldn't have to rush there and back in three weeks.
Piggeldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:55 AM   #1415
annichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggeldy View Post
Yes I am.
Did my accent give me away?

About the airfare: Yes, it is pretty bad. But then again, we have never seen the American West Coast before, so we could get a lot of "first trips" all rolled into one: the Pacific Ocean; LA; San Francisco; Vancouver; Alaska. So it would be worth paying a bit more airfare for.

It's not like it actually doubles the price of the cruise, anyway (though it's obviously no bargain either!): I've found prices around 850 euros per person for an open-jaw flight from Germany to LA, and then back from Vancouver to Germany. That's not all that horribly much more than what we are paying to get to New York this summer ...

Anyway, I have updated my signature already with a countdown ticker for that cruise, so that means it's really going to happen and we can't cancel it anymore. What a relief.

2005: It all started with DLP Disneyland Paris (3 nights) / 2009: Honeymoon at Wilderness Lodge (15 nights)
2010: Magic Western Caribbean, then BCV (11 nights) / 2011: Magic Mediterranean Cruise (Magic, 11 nights)
2011: Our return to Disneyland Resort Paris (4 nights) / August 2012: NYC to Castaway Cay and Canada (B2B, Magic, 13 nights)
2013: Westbound Panama Canal Cruise (Wonder, 14 nights) + 3 days at Disneyland / 2014: Westbound Transatlantic and Southern Caribbean (B2B, Magic, 21 nights)

Old 06-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #1416
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:

About the airfare: Yes, it is pretty bad. But then again, we have never seen the American West Coast before, so we could get a lot of "first trips" all rolled into one: the Pacific Ocean; LA; San Francisco; Vancouver; Alaska. So it would be worth paying a bit more airfare for.

It's not like it actually doubles the price of the cruise, anyway (though it's obviously no bargain either!): I've found prices around 850 euros per person for an open-jaw flight from Germany to LA, and then back from Vancouver to Germany. That's not all that horribly much more than what we are paying to get to New York this summer ...

Anyway, I have updated my signature already with a countdown ticker for that cruise, so that means it's really going to happen and we can't cancel it anymore. What a relief.
Here's hoping DCL doesn't pull the rug out from under you and decide NOT to go to Alaska in 2014!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #1417
annichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
Here's hoping DCL doesn't pull the rug out from under you and decide NOT to go to Alaska in 2014!
Thank you! But we have booked Alaska for 2013, so we're not too worried about that!

EDIT: I just saw that I did indeed write "2014" earlier (changed it now) - I never knew my brain could even think so far ahead when it came to vacations!

Old 06-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #1418
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you! But we have booked Alaska for 2013, so we're not too worried about that!

EDIT: I just saw that I did indeed write "2014" earlier (changed it now) - I never knew my brain could even think so far ahead when it came to vacations!
I'm always thinking about trips WAY down the road. I booked two cruises for 2014 in the past month - obviously NOT on Disney!

**I just noticed that I didn't even quote the right post where you mentioned Alaska!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #1419
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Although they haven't announced a WBTA, have they announced there won't be one? I had to call DCL yesterday on another issue and I asked if they have been told to say there isn't going to be a WBTA. The rep said no they weren't told that, they were told that info on a WBTA was be announced in the future.
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #1420
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
Although they haven't announced a WBTA, have they announced there won't be one? I had to call DCL yesterday on another issue and I asked if they have been told to say there isn't going to be a WBTA. The rep said no they weren't told that, they were told that info on a WBTA was be announced in the future.
Promising
TotallyAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #1421
JustAnnieNotHazel
Are we there yet?

Quote:
That's a little more hopeful than an outright No!
JustAnnieNotHazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #1422
babydiver
Mouseketeer

Quote:
although they haven't announced a wbta, have they announced there won't be one? I had to call dcl yesterday on another issue and i asked if they have been told to say there isn't going to be a wbta. The rep said no they weren't told that, they were told that info on a wbta was be announced in the future.

still hope people - don't give up!

7 nights Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2007 - 7 nights Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 2009 - 3 nights Disney Wonder Bahamas 2009 - 7 nights Disney Wonder Alaska 2011 - 14 nights Disney Magic WBTA 2011 - 7 night Disney Wonder Pacific 2012 (Gold at last!) - 7 night Disney Fantasy EC Jan 2013 - 12 nights Disney Magic Barcelona to Venice June 2014 - 14 nights Disney Magic WBTA Sept 2014 B2B 7 nights Disney Magic Southern Caribbean Sept 2014 -
14 nights Panama Canal May 2015 (Platinum at last) - 11 night Disney Magic WBTA Sept 2015.
babydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #1423
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

I still check everyday (just in case)!!
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #1424
valbob89
DIS Veteran

ME TOO!! I check this site and the DCL website. No luck yet.
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #1425
Jen24
Mouseketeer

We haven't given up. Not holding our breath but not booking another transatlantic yet.
Jen24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: