Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #1396
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkner View Post
When does celebrity sail?
Since Celebrity has several ships sailing in Europe next summer, they will be returning to the US at various times in the fall. I'm not a fan of the TA itineraries that stop in Caribbean ports. (If I wanted to go to the Caribbean, I'd book a Caribbean cruise.) I think Princess has the best TA itineraries.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #1397
Piggeldy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
Since Celebrity has several ships sailing in Europe next summer, they will be returning to the US at various times in the fall. I'm not a fan of the TA itineraries that stop in Caribbean ports. (If I wanted to go to the Caribbean, I'd book a Caribbean cruise.) I think Princess has the best TA itineraries.
See - and as a European that's our chance to combine a TA and a Caribbean cruise in one Plus my little personal extra - Eclipse was built less than 80 miles from my hometown.

Without the DCL TA we will go for itinerary over ship/cruise line.
So it's currently Celebrity Eclipse, Liberty of the Seas (stops in Philipsburg, Charlotte Amalie, and Cococay), Celebrity Reflection (stops in Basseterre and Tortola only but returns to Miami which would mean cheaper flights) or Independence of the Seas (stops in Philipsburg, San Juan, and Cococay). I guess while Americans prefere stops in Europe, the ports in the Carribbean are interesting for us Europeans who can easily travel to the Med.
Piggeldy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #1398
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggeldy View Post
See - and as a European that's our chance to combine a TA and a Caribbean cruise in one Plus my little personal extra - Eclipse was built less than 80 miles from my hometown.

So it's currently Celebrity Eclipse, Liberty of the Seas (stops in Philipsburg, Charlotte Amalie, and Cococay), Celebrity Reflection (stops in Basseterre and Tortola only but returns to Miami which would mean cheaper flights) or Independence of the Seas (stops in Philipsburg, San Juan, and Cococay). I guess while Americans prefere stops in Europe, the ports in the Carribbean are interesting for us Europeans who can easily travel to the Med.
I can understand why you would enjoy the Caribbean ports, and you can get some great deals on those TA itineraries. I prefer the ones that go around the British Isles, Scandinavia, Iceland, NE Canada, etc. - but they usually cost a lot more because there are only a few ships doing them. I'm booked on DCL's May 2013 TA cruise, but I don't know if I can stand that many sea days and so few ports!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #1399
Paul312
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I can understand why you would enjoy the Caribbean ports, and you can get some great deals on those TA itineraries. I prefer the ones that go around the British Isles, Scandinavia, Iceland, NE Canada, etc. - but they usually cost a lot more because there are only a few ships doing them. I'm booked on DCL's May 2013 TA cruise, but I don't know if I can stand that many sea days and so few ports!
That's one of the biggest reasons we didn't go for the May EBTA.. And it's too early in the year (especially after our October 2012 Hawai'i cruise)..
2012 -- Oct 14 - Oct 28 -- Hawaii - Wonder -- Facebook Group
Upcoming:
2013 -- Sep 22 - Sep 26 -- Bahama's - Dream --
Facebook Group
2014 -- Sep 6 - Sep 20 -- Westbound Transatlantic - Magic -- Facebook Group

Paul312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #1400
Piggeldy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I prefer the ones that go around the British Isles, Scandinavia, Iceland, NE Canada, etc. - but they usually cost a lot more because there are only a few ships doing them. I'm booked on DCL's May 2013 TA cruise, but I don't know if I can stand that many sea days and so few ports!
We would LOVE to do that one day! Our honeymoon was on Hurtigruten and all our holidays have so far been to Scandinavia (from Norway to Estonia). Unfortunately the Iceland itineraries are not in our budget. Maybe in 20/30 (or 35... after we have retired) years. Now, while we are still repaying student loans and stuff, we will stick to the inexpensive TAs (and dream of HALs Viking cruises).

Try Hurtigruten 34 ports on a 7 day cruise. All right, some during the night and many as short as 30 minutes but no sea days at all. And scenery to die for! Another trip we will do again when we are "older".
Old 06-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #1401
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We would LOVE to do that one day! Our honeymoon was on Hurtigruten and all our holidays have so far been to Scandinavia (from Norway to Estonia). Unfortunately the Iceland itineraries are not in our budget. Maybe in 20/30 (or 35... after we have retired) years. Now, while we are still repaying student loans and stuff, we will stick to the inexpensive TAs (and dream of HALs Viking cruises).

Try Hurtigruten 34 ports on a 7 day cruise. All right, some during the night and many as short as 30 minutes but no sea days at all. And scenery to die for! Another trip we will do again when we are "older".
I returned 5 days ago from a 12-night Royal Caribbean Arctic Circle cruise roundtrip from Amsterdam that went to North Cape and back. I considered the Hurtigruten, but that would've been much more expensive - especially since I cruised solo. I agree - the scenery was gorgeous!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #1402
Piggeldy
Earning My Ears

Now I am jealous.
Guess I should go to bed and hope that helps.

[We did Hurtigruten in December, all we could afford - 10 days of winter storms, missed all Lofoten ports on our way back to Bergen, loads of rain, nearly no snow, waves splashing all the way up to deck 9 and only one Northern Light that DH missed because he was in the shower It was horrible. We loved it!]

Anyways, now we want a good-weather cruise, sun, and beaches. After years of city trips (and freezing in a Stockholm hostel in December because they had no heating) and hiking and culture we need relexation.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #1403
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Now I am jealous.
Guess I should go to bed and hope that helps.

[We did Hurtigruten in December, all we could afford - 10 days of winter storms, missed all Lofoten ports on our way back to Bergen, loads of rain, nearly no snow, waves splashing all the way up to deck 9 and only one Northern Light that DH missed because he was in the shower It was horrible. We loved it!]

Anyways, now we want a good-weather cruise, sun, and beaches. After years of city trips (and freezing in a Stockholm hostel in December because they had no heating) and hiking and culture we need relexation.
I don't know if I could do that cruise in December with so much darkness, but hey - you were on your honeymoon!

We had a lot of sunlight for our cruise, but it wasn't particularly warm. That's okay, because I was prepared for that. We had miserable weather when we docked at Honningsvag, and we could see practically nothing at North Cape through the fog and rain. When the weather cleared later in the day and we sailed around North Cape late in the evening, I got my photos of the lovely cliff. Our cruise didn't go to the Lofoten Islands, but I hope to return and see them. I was surprised by the amount of snow at higher elevations, and I'm glad I was there before it all melted.

For me - Alaska, Canada, and northern Europe are the perfect summer destinations. I prefer to save tropical climates for when it's cold at home, and vice versa.

P.S. Do you live in Germany? I spent a week there before traveling to Amsterdam for the cruise.

Last edited by NancyIL; 06-26-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #1404
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Well, I signed up for a Vancouver Alaska and then Vancouver to LA repo in Sept 2013 - it will be too cold for Alaska, but it's something different - neither of us have been to Alaska, and my husband hasn't been to San Francisco, so that will work.

It's been fun, guys, but I'm signing off this thread now, so that I don't hold on to my disappointment.

See ya around.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #1405
JustAnnieNotHazel
Are we there yet?

Take care Linda x
JustAnnieNotHazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #1406
birkner
DIS Veteran

If we decide to flip to the December PC cruise in 2013, which side of the ship should we choose, starboard or port for the best views through the canal?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #1407
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

I feel that Disney made what they feel is a good business decision. Obviously, the shorter cruises make more money and the longer cruises dont..

On the other hand, I feel that the message is to make a good business decision for me and DH. So we are going to look at other lines..I got a Princess brochure yesterday and they go great places and price is less..dont see a downside

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #1408
JessicasMom
Working to Travel

Quote:
I think we're all in the same frame of mind today. I'm eagerly awaiting the EBPC this Dec., but next year will be another adventure on another line. So many possibilities to consider...maybe a TA, maybe not (Scandinavia looks amazing!)

Can't wait to see what the 2014 schedule brings . But for today, I'm just plain disappointed.
JessicasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #1409
sssteele
DIS Veteran

What a bummer. We were hoping to book this cruise, but gave up and booked for the new Royal Princess ship.

Sailed with friends over Easter and booked the Barcelona to Venice and Venice to Fort Lauderdale as one cruise. Will be 30 or 31 days, and our 1st TA. Three nights is Venice is a good thing! Very excited, but still anxiously awaiting our 10/20/12 Fantasy sailing with friends.

I'm sure you'll all find something that works for you.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #1410
Bareacuda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkner View Post
If we decide to flip to the December PC cruise in 2013, which side of the ship should we choose, starboard or port for the best views through the canal?
Both sides! Really... we walked all day seeing both sides, something intresting everywhere for us.

Annie

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: