|06-25-2012, 11:32 PM||#1|
Join Date: Mar 2007
Vegan Cruising INFO! UPDATING 2/24/13
VEGAN/VEGETARIAN UPDATES - NEW & CLASSIC SHIPS:
- As with ALL special diets, call DCL and/or note on reservation (via TA or online) that you are vegan. Upon arrival, you can reconfirm your dining needs wherever the dining reservations on embarkation day are being made. Usually, your server on the first night will reconfirm dining requests and needs at the first meal in the MDR. People have reported varying degrees of attention the first night ranging from the chef coming and speaking to with you to no one having heard of your dining requests (not always, but it can happen). Also, despite your best efforts and DCL’s continuing improvements, not every server knows really what vegan means, people have been offered non-vegan items, etc.. The information here are suggestions and tips gleaned form trip reports, experiences.
- MDR on all ships seem to currently have at least one vegan offering per night in addition to vegetarian offerings
- Rice Cream type non dairy dessert seems to be available upon request
- Soy milk seems currently to be available upon request in MDRs and in buffets
- Most pastas and vegetables in the buffets seem to be cooked in butter, seemed to be more accurate labeling (and choices) on the newer ships (Cabanas)
- Poolside dining does offer veggie burgers/black bean type burgers (sometimes not on the menu)
- Palo can accommodate Vegan Dining
- Remy seems to do best at vegetarian dining, although some have had success with vegan dining there - you may need to press further than the reservations/serving persons before your dining experience, not all the reservations people are as well versed in veganism as I would expect most of the chefs are
- Remy Vegan & Gluten Free review
- Recent Magic Dis-er Vegan trip report
- Raw Vegan Dining on DCL Video Blog
i know this isnt a brand new topic, but ive recently made the jump to veganism and was trepidatious (did i just make that word up?!?) about how/when/whether to categorize myself with DCL - should i call now? wait till on board? never tell anyone?!
well, i asked DH to call and gather some info from DCL (while i was searching around elsewhere) and of course i come home from work and he has DCL on the phone - his information gathering consisted of saying hello. my wife is vegan. thank you. click. ). i was annoyed, but after searching out stuff this weekend, im glad he was brave for me because i would have just picked and chosen thru stuff and been to afraid my choices would be narrowed for me by DCl (i dont know. i am weird). my main concern was we have remy booked. i was eager to try as a vegetarian, but i was afraid that simply the cost benefit ratio would not be there as a vegan (oh, how i want more cheese plate!!!) will i have to tell myself a story that these are all happy, artisinal, free roaming cows??!!) . in any event, im actually super excited now having finally done some specific research - in particular, there is a vegan/gluten free menu/experience posted on the blogosphere that looks intriguing. and since gluten is NOT an issue for me, i think this can work! there is even a guy (raw vegan?!) who is (duh) a raw vegan and posted a video blog of his dream cruise experience and it looked cool.
so if anyone has any more recent experiences as a vegan (last 6 months?), id love to hear? this is still new for me (its been about 3 months now), but i am continually surprised and really gratified that its not as hard as i feared.
also, am i the only person on earth who actually GAINED 6 pounds going dairy free????? i call myself the obese vegan aka obegan"
Last edited by sambycat; 02-24-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: content
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|