Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #91
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogattdm View Post
We love reading your TR bEcause it allows us to relive our trip! Amazing how even though it was only a week ago, I have forgotten quite a bit!
I know...because seriously had I not written down all of this stuff...I would not have remembered the majority of it. I get surprised every time I read over my notes over how many things I have already forgotten!!

For anyone interested in seeing EVERY photo we took on this trip I have started adding the links to them at the bottom of the very first post. So far I only have June 8th & 9th uploaded, but will have more as I keep posting TR updates! Thank you all for reading!!
AAshleySEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #92
Laundress
Mouseketeer

Loving your update. Stunning photo of the two of you at Tritons. Looking forward to the next one.
Laundress is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #93
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Well you both look fab on formal night

Love your hubby's bow tie and I agree with the photographer ..... Your shoes are gorgeous
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #94
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

Why do I keep waking up so early? We are on vacation!

I just wanted to put a little note up again before I started this section. In case you are not following the chatter, I added the links at the bottom of the first post to ALL of the trip photos. I took 1671 I believe? I am only picking and choosing for the TR, so if you are interested in seeing the rest I am putting them up with the corresponding date as I post the TR update! Hope you enjoy those as well. Now back to the main event!

So today is the day that we officially get to see some Alaskan sights! We turned our clocks back 1 hour last night so we are now 4 hours behind our home which is in EDT at the moment. I woke up at 6:00am yet again, got ready by 6:30. Jeremy was still asleep in the bed, so I grabbed a wave phone, my camera, & notebook and went down to Deck 4 to see what it looked like outside. We had not yet arrived at Tracy Arm but there were already lovely snow-capped mountains and the most fresh, clean smelling air my nose has ever come in contact with! It was a little hazy but I knew we were in for a great day!

By the time I got back to the room Jeremy was up and almost ready to go. Our assigned character breakfast was this morning but we decided not to go to it. I have been to tons of character breakfasts at WDW and heard that the one on the ship was a little more rushed, so we just decided to go to Tritons instead. Once we got down there it was pretty empty, so we were seated right away!

Jeremy had some orange juice and I chose to have a coffee, I wanted to be very alert when we were up on Deck 10 looking for whales and sightseeing today!

I really enjoyed the sit down Breakfast! It was a great start to our morning. I ordered the Eggs Benedict, which came with a sausage link and Jeremy had the french toast, waffle, and pancake.

After we had finished eating, we thought about going outside for a bit to see if we could see any whales or anything. We did need to run back by our room to grab our jackets though. We walked out of the front door of Tritons, so I had to get a quick photo of Jeremy with The Fairy Godmother of the ship herself Ariel!

So we got our jackets and headed up to the Forward Part of the ship. Wouldn't you know that there were 2 people up there watching for seals and whales and one of them happened to be Darren! (That's 1 for today) We said hi, and talked a little...it was very windy and a little on the cold side at the moment, but we are big winter sports people, so it wasn't so bad!

After only being up there for a few minutes we saw our first humpback whale of the trip! I did manage to catch it's tail going into the water!

I was kind of caught off guard because I wasn't expecting to see them so soon or really even at all. I only had my smaller lens, and my head was getting cold, so I made a quick run back to the room to grab my hat and larger lens so I could try and take some better photos! When I made it back up there it had started to drizzle a little bit, but also Deanna and Gwen had joined Darren and Jeremy at the front of the ship! I put Jeremy on camera duty for a minute or so and he took the opportunity to take a picture of me.

My camera was getting wet, but I did have a waterproof cover for it, but you guessed it...it was back in the room. I then went back down to the room yet again, put the cover on it...then decided I didn't want it on there..and then went back up there, so basically I went to the room for no reason. There were a few more people up there now trying to get photos, me included, for a while all I could get was Jeremy

Then, before you know it we saw about 5 whales off the starboard side of the ship. They never did really all come up at the same time. But I got lots of pics anyway, some of them of just water, or the whales' backs, or water being shot in the air.

Still no orcas or seals yet, but we were keeping our eyes peeled for them! We stayed up there a little bit longer and then at around 10:00 we walked down to Quiet Cove on Deck 9 and sat on lounge chairs, drinking HOT chocolate, I burnt my tongue on it! We relaxed there for a good 45 minutes, then made yet another pit stop by the room to grab my notebook, which I had left in there, I know Cristina our room hostess probably thought we were crazy! Notebook in hand, we walked to the aft deck behind BBB to get good seats for the grill-out! They were already setting up the grills, and it was scheduled to start at Noon.

It was nice and warm back there, while we waited on the Salmon, Chicken, and Steak they had grilling! It was a little bit smoky...but luckily we sat on the left side of the grills and the wind was blowing in our favor, so the smoke was going to the other side of the deck!

While we waited the views just kept getting better and better! We got our very first glimpse of an iceberg so we knew we were heading in the right direction!

The buffet line opened right at 12:00, you had to stand in line to get a tray, then get whatever accompaniments you wanted in the buffet line, then take your plate over to the grills to get the freshly grilled selections! It was so much fun to sit out on the ship watching them grill the food as you pass these mountains and waterfalls!

We knew it was about time to head back upstairs because everything was getting much closer to the sides of the ship. We had made it into Tracy Arm, and couldn't wait for the beauty of Alaska to show itself to us!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #95
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laundress View Post
Loving your update. Stunning photo of the two of you at Tritons. Looking forward to the next one.
Thank you so much!! I loved that photo of us too! It is rare that we get good ones by the Disney photographers, but the ones on the ship were fantastic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Well you both look fab on formal night

Love your hubby's bow tie and I agree with the photographer ..... Your shoes are gorgeous
Thanks!! Jeremy loves bow ties, way more than regular ones. He bought a new one just for the cruise, which you should see later on in the TR! I seriously love my shoes and the funny thing is I got them for $20 at pay less
Old 06-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #96
midwestpat
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=AAshleySEG;45277979....We relaxed there for a good 45 minutes, then made yet another pit stop by the room to grab my notebook, which I had left in there, I know Cristina our room hostess probably thought we were crazy! [/QUOTE]

Clive, our room host, seemed to be lurking near our room all morning and into the afternoon on Tracy Arm Day. Finally, on one of my many trips down the hall as I did laundry that day, I told him to just go in and do whatever he needed to do to the room. DH was on the balcony, and as I explained to him, this one day was the pinnacle of the trip for him, and the entire justification for the balcony was the ability to stand out there alllllll dayyyyyy longggggg on Tracy Arm day. He WASN'T going to be leaving, so Clive didn't need to wait for that moment.

He smiled at me and did exactly that.
WDW Villas @ Wilderness Lodge 2007 & 2013;
WDW Fort Wilderness 2010;
DCL Wonder to Alaska 2012 & 2014
midwestpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:10 AM   #97
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Another great update
I was thinking of booking a whale watching excursion for our cruise but it looks like I might see a few from the ship so maybe I will try something else
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:53 AM   #98
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Nope different servers, but we were at a table of 4 and it was just the 2 of us as well.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #99
Kerryluv
Earning My Ears

It's official, I am addicted to checking up on this thread! I excitedly await every updated post and feel like I am going "Remember to do [fill in the blank!]"
Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #100
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestpat View Post
Clive, our room host, seemed to be lurking near our room all morning and into the afternoon on Tracy Arm Day. Finally, on one of my many trips down the hall as I did laundry that day, I told him to just go in and do whatever he needed to do to the room. DH was on the balcony, and as I explained to him, this one day was the pinnacle of the trip for him, and the entire justification for the balcony was the ability to stand out there alllllll dayyyyyy longggggg on Tracy Arm day. He WASN'T going to be leaving, so Clive didn't need to wait for that moment.

He smiled at me and did exactly that.
That is awesome! I am glad you guys enjoyed your verandah! I hope you guys had great views!!! I just love how friendly and courteous the room hosts/hostesses were!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Another great update
I was thinking of booking a whale watching excursion for our cruise but it looks like I might see a few from the ship so maybe I will try something else
I am going to talk about it later on in the TR, but we did go Whale-Watching in Juneau and saw way more whales on the ship that the actual tour. The guys said that the whale activity really picks up in July & August on those tours, so I guess we just booked it at the wrong time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Nope different servers, but we were at a table of 4 and it was just the 2 of us as well.
It was so strange sitting by ourselves every night and watching all of the other tables converse and have a great time, not that we didn't have a great time, it would have just been neat to get to have other people to share our experiences with and vice versa at dinners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerryluv View Post
It's official, I am addicted to checking up on this thread! I excitedly await every updated post and feel like I am going "Remember to do [fill in the blank!]"
That just made my day! I am glad you are enjoying it so much and that I am helping you out!! I am trying to best to get it updated quickly for the people that are leaving soon! Thanks again for reading!!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #101
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

"Hey Darren, Look There is A Bear!" Ok...Not Really.

Once our bellies were full, (If You See It, Eat It) we headed up to Deck 10 to scope out a spot for Tracy Arm viewing.. We made it halfway up the starboard side when Deanna came up and said Hi to us at the forward funnels, which happened to be the warmest place on the deck at that time! She asked us if we wanted to join them because they had already staked out a great spot! We were so grateful for that because it was already really crowded up there and I don't know that we would have found somewhere to stand had they not! We started taking loads of photos and Jeremy kept messing with Gwen, trying to make her laugh and stuff because she was just lounging on the chair at the beginning of Tracy Arm. Both Darren and I needed a lens cleaning cloth, and I remembered I had a lens pen in my camera bag downstairs, so yet again I ran down to the room to get it. Jeremy took some pics while I was gone, and one of them had some eagles in it and he didn't even realize until we got home and starting looking through them!

Apparently while I was gone to the room, Darren was telling Jeremy how he really wanted to see a bear from a distance so when I got back up to the deck and Darren wasn't expecting it, Jeremy called out, "HEY! There is a Bear!", Darren spun around so fast and was like "Where...Where?" Jeremy had a good laugh about that, I thought it was a little mean, but oh well. My hubby is a prankster! I took a photo with the boat in view so you could see just how narrow this fjord actually was, at some points I wasn't sure we were going to be able to make it through.

This is the type of beauty that I think everyone talks about when they have been to Alaska. It is really hard to even capture it on film. I looked at I don't know how many photos before we came on this trip, I don't think anything can prepare you for what you are going to see

Even though it was a little cloudy, we had great weather the entire time we were going up Tracy Arm, and even when we were coming out as well

We started seeing more and more icebergs as we were getting further into the fjord and closer to the glacier, a lot of them even had seals on them! There were big ones, small ones, pups, even seals playing in the water! I can't imagine what they think of these giant cruise ships passing right beside them!

I don't want to overload you all on random scenery shots, so I am trying to be very choosy when I pick some of them, but like I said if you are really into photos, then there are tons to look at in the albums with the links at the bottom of the first post! On tracy Arm Day alone, I had to do it in parts because I took so many photos!

When the Naturalist was doing his talks he mentioned that the ice that is exposed to the air for a few hours will turn white, when the air enters into it, so if air doesn't enter it, it stays really blue! I was fascinated by the glacial icebergs floating right beside the boat! Don't be alarmed if you feel the ship hitting them either, because it does happen but there is no need to be alarmed!

We kept making our way forward, at some places I kept thinking that has to be a dead end, but we would just turn and keep going on our way as if we were some tiny boat going up through all of this!

Finally, we had our first peek of the glacier, it was still a little far away, but whoa, we were all giddy with anticipation! There was one thing in our way a little island in the center of the fjord, we seriously weren't going to be able to fit through that right??

We sure did go right on through on the lefthand side of it, it was also cool because there were more eagles on the trees, so I just started calling it Eagle Island, although I am sure it probably has a name...

Jeremy was fascinated by the waterfalls, the greenness of the water and the low clouds shrouding the mountainsides!

The first time seeing the glacier, no photos or words can remotely prepare you for how HUGE this thing actually is. It is Ginormous!!

From these photos, the icebergs look pretty small, but I managed to get one of a boat down there, and it kind of puts to scale the size of these glacial icebergs when compared to that boat!

There are also hundreds of seals near the face of the glacier. They are just all happily basking in the sun on top of the icebergs! They almost look like little specs of brown, but they were everywhere!

About the time we were getting really close to the glacier, it was time for us to head to Palo for High Tea. So we said goodbye to Darren, (Deanna and Gwen had gone to the pool), and quickly ran to the room and changed clothes, and made it to Palo by 3:00 exactly!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #102
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=AAshleySEG;45283697]

It was so strange sitting by ourselves every night and watching all of the other tables converse and have a great time, not that we didn't have a great time, it would have just been neat to get to have other people to share our experiences with

A tip for your next cruise. Sitting with others is often the highlight of our trip, so if you go to the lounge embarkation day, the dining crew is set up next to the Palo line around 1:00 or so and you can check with them to see if you are seating with others, and if you aren't you can ask to be moved. As I have told the dining managers, I love my family but we see each other the rest of the year we want to talk to new people!
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #103
rogattdm
Mouseketeer

What? No picture of the seal poop iceberg! We loved standing next to you guys during Tracy Arm; it gave us time to hang out and chat while waiting for the glacier to arrive. "hey mom; look there is a glacier up there!" uh duh Gwen, why do you think we have been standing out here in the cold for 4 hours?
rogattdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #104
lucky1
Face Character

[QUOTE=gotomu212;45286091]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAshleySEG View Post

It was so strange sitting by ourselves every night and watching all of the other tables converse and have a great time, not that we didn't have a great time, it would have just been neat to get to have other people to share our experiences with

A tip for your next cruise. Sitting with others is often the highlight of our trip, so if you go to the lounge embarkation day, the dining crew is set up next to the Palo line around 1:00 or so and you can check with them to see if you are seating with others, and if you aren't you can ask to be moved. As I have told the dining managers, I love my family but we see each other the rest of the year we want to talk to new people!
We put that on our reservation, that we wanted to be seated at a table with another family!
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #105
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

Finally, we see some bears! Although, these are the huggable kind!

I was initially sad about leaving the glacier when we were so close to it, but we really wanted to do the High Tea because we knew we would not have another chance to do it since they are canceling the service. We got up to Palo and were able to go right in and be seated! All of my fears of missing the view were thrown out the window, we could still see everything from here since all High Tea tables have exterior views!

Our server today was Judy, Toni had the High Tea shift off today because there are only 3 servers scheduled for it. Another thing I found out was that there are only 9 servers total for Palo. We sat down and Judy asked where we were from, we told her North Carolina and she immediately tried to figure out what the capital was, she did mention Charlotte, which is where we are from, but she knew that it wasn't the capital, but the largest city, which is correct! So I ordered the Imperial English Breakfast Tea from the selections of Black Tea, and Jeremy had the Lemon Verbena Herbal Tea!

I was so thrilled that we were still able to see the glacier, so if any of you have doubts about doing High Tea while you still have a chance, you should have no problems with viewing while inside Palo during Tracy Arm Day! Our first course was a lovely selection of tea sandwiches, including egg salad, smoked salmon, prosciutto, cucumber, and cheese with chutney.

My tea was great, I always like the traditional type teas, at Grand Floridian's Garden View Tea Room, I always get the Princess Breakfast Tea, and it is very similar to the one I had today! After sandwiches we each received some scones with devonshire cream and jam, then a nice plethora of petit-fours, which included Jeremy's favorite chocolate covered strawberries! This time they had been Disneyfied!

Of course she brought us extra of those when she found out they were his fav! He was in chocolate strawberry heaven! The scenery was still all around us and Judy mentioned that she had never seen a seal before. Well that just wouldn't do so we got up and pointed some out to her! Just as we did that, Minnie and Donald were walking by the windows. We never did get any photos with the characters while outside at Tracy Arm, we saw loads of them at Shutters later on, the only photographer we saw took a group photo of us and The Schindels, which we wanted to see later on tonight when it gets put up at Shutters! Our tea was really great, so I am glad we were able to do it! Before we said goodbye to Judy we had to tell her that the capital of NC was Raleigh, and she was so upset with herself because she knew it, and just couldn't find it in her brain! After spending almost 2 hours in Palo we chose to go and see Chimpanzee which was playing in the Buena Vista Theater at 5:00. While we were waiting on the elevator to go down to Deck 5 Donald and his cast member came up and asked if they could ride down the elevator with us! We had a lovely pantomime conversation about how he stayed warm up here in Alaska and how I needed to get some faux feathers to wear for me to stay warm because he does not support humans or anyone for that matter wearing real feathers and furs! We made a quick stop off at the room and we already had a towel animal waiting for us!

Chimpanzee, if you have not seen it is adorable! It is a pretty short movie too, but I highly recommend it! On our way out of the Theater, third times the charm, we ran into Deanna! She was on her way to dinner and we were on our way to Shutters because we had finally made the decision to purchase a photo package. The girl who was there was the same one who had taken that photo outside of Tritons the night before, she again raved about that photo and my shoes! So funny! Photos in hand, we went down to the Lobby Atrium to stand in line to have photos with Kenai and Koda from Brother Bear. It turned out those would be the only bears we saw the entire trip!

Next we stood in line for Donald who recognized us from the elevator by pointing at his feathers! It was great, and I totally loved his Alaskan outfit!

What is great about these lines is that you pretty much keep standing with the same people in them over and over! If you really want to get photos with the characters, you will have TONS of chances on the ship, they are pretty much everywhere all the time, and you even run into them walking down the halls, The hallway before you get to Shutters seems to be a very good place to get them by themselves if you want to have more of a moment as opposed to a choreographed photo! So we had moved on from the Donald line, and were now waiting on Minnie, I was trying to take a photo of Jeremy and this random guy ended up being in the picture, all I can think now is if he was wondering if I was taking a picture of him? Who knows...LOL

We finally got Minnie, and then Chip & Dale who are Jeremy's favorite Disney characters! Chip tried to take me away with him during the photo which made Jeremy and Dale laugh!

For dinner tonight we were in Tritons again for the French Dinner Menu! This was the one I was looking forward to! When we got there Mario & Tricia wanted to see our photos of the seals and whales from earlier, and also our formal photos from last night that we had just purchased! Tricia really liked my shoes, but was much more interested in my nail polish! (Koliary by NARS if you were interested...LOL) For dinner I ordered "Prince Eric's" Escargot Gratinee which was Herb-marinated Snails with finely chopped Mushrooms, topped with Garlic Butter..yummy! I love Escargot, if you haven't tried them I would highly advise it, especially if you like mushrooms!!

For my Soup I had the "Chef Louis" French Onion Soup with Gruyere Cheese Crouton and for my main course I had the Tritons Seared Sea Bass perched on a Mushroom Herb Risotto, Sweet Onion Marmalade, and garnished with a Potato Crisp! Jeremy ordered the Grilled Jumbo Shrimp as an appetizer, the Tomato and Basil Soup, and for his Main Course the Aged Angus Grilled Beef Tenderloin on Olive-Oil Smashed Potatoes, Bacon-wrapped Green Beans, and a Mustard Madeira Sauce! We really enjoyed everything we had this evening! We were so full we contemplated splitting a dessert tonight, and Tricia was not having that at all! So we ended up having 3. We had the Creme Brûlée with Seasonal Berries, the Grand Marnier Soufflé, and the Brioche and Panettone Pudding served with Warm Toffee Sauce

When I had made it almost all the way through the bread pudding, I noticed it had something blue inside? Then we all started playing, guess what it is! Barry, the Head Server was so perplexed that he went and asked the Chef in the kitchen. It turned out to be nothing more than some type of frozen fruit that had made its way into it. Ah well, so much for that, but I am still not sure what fruit would have been that color blue...LOL! Tired, yet again after a long day of being in the wind and cold, we wanted to go to sleep. So we left Tritons, then made a decision that at least I wanted to walk to Shutters to see if that photo from earlier in the day had made its way onto the wall! Sure enough it was, I absolutely LOVED it and had to have it!

It was such a fun day out there! Tomorrow would be our actual first Port of Call, Skagway! Our fingers were crossed that we would have good weather! But for now, we headed back to the room for some more R&R!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: