Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
artemis908
EPCOTnaut

Split stays: Annoying or Awesome?

I can't decide between two great resorts: AKL and BWI. I have gotten some great advice/feedback/opinions, none of which has helped me decide because they both sound so great. I am going to talk to my husband about (he's sometimes good at talking me out of things) but wondering about a split stay. I didn't even realize it was possible until I came on these boards. It seems sort of annoying in a way because you gotta pack up all of your stuff and can't settle into your room. But it's nice that they take all of your luggage for you and move it.

So I am wondering what everyone's experiences are with these kinds of stays.
artemis908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

I'm about to take the plunge on this.

Looking at a Poly/BC split in mid December (haven't booked the resorts yet, hoping for discounts).

My plan for minimizing the inconvenience of changing resorts is to move on a day we visit Epcot. Basically, the plan is to pack our stuff the night before, have bell services pick it up early the next morning (except what we bring into the park, which will include swim wear), head over to Captain Cook's for a quick bite, then jump on the Epcot monorail.

Then, after about 5-6 hours at EP (which will include a sit-down lunch), we head over to the BC around 3 pm to check in (since we'll have our swim wear, we can hit SAB while waiting for our luggage).

Overall, I see this as a net convenience. We plan to do MVMCP one night and see Illuminations on another. The split allows us to have an easy commute back to our room on both nights (we can also see Wishes from the beach on all the rest of the nights we're at the Poly). And we only have to take buses on the day we go to AK (but we'd have to do that regardless of where we stay).

I've already booked all of our ADRs so that they're convenient to the resort where we'd be staying. Now I just have to wait on discounts
Masonmj84 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
elaw
DIS Veteran

Split Stays

I personally think they are awesome. (see signature for my split stay pedigree ... lol)

If you pack accordingly, its not that big a deal. I arrange my suitcase so that I only remove the stuff I need for any given leg of a split and leave the rest intact. I found that bringing an extra empty duffle bag for the dirty clothes is helpful when its time to move .... after each night I put the dirty clothes in there ... that way its easy to pack up the main suitcase and transfer everything.

I generally don't recommend splits less than 3 nights at a given resort.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I'm a split stay fan. I've done it for the past 4 vacations. However, I am a carry on only kind of person and I don't need to unpack.

I've had 2 less than perfect luggage transfers so we now take a cab and move our own luggage.

The reason I like them is that we get to experience 2 resorts and we can arrange our meal reservations for convenience to the hotel. The extra time we take to check in to a hotel twice is more than offset by the saved time not traveling to meal reservations.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
skitt
Mouseketeer

We're thinking of doing a split stay on our next trip. Are there downsides? Besides the obvious having to pack and move. Can it affect discounts?
skitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
ppony
Artist in residence

We're fans of the split stay as well. We've done it about 2/3s of our trips. We've been able to experience more of the resorts Disney has to offer as a result. Additionally, becuase the resort itself is a huge portion of our vacation, it's new experiences with each split.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
ThumpersWorld
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We did our first split stay in May. BWV to BCV. Will definitely be doing this on our next trip. I would only do it for week stays or greater but bell services makes it so easy to do.

Me DH DS 8 1/2 yrs DS 6 yrs
ThumpersWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

We are also split stay fans. I agree that a minimum of 3 nights per resort is a good idea. We always rent a car so moving our luggage isn't a big deal. I am a super organized person. I pack two suitcases for the kids and me. One of them doesn't even get opened at the first resort, so packing to move doesn't take very long.

We started doing split stays in 2006 when airfare was higher than we anticipated and we had to stay at a moderate for part of the trip instead of deluxe for the whole trip to stay within our budget. Since then we have booked them by choice. It was a nice way to try several more resorts and never be "stuck" too long in a place we didn't like. I don't know if we'll do them anymore, as I am now pretty sure it's YC or stay home for me, but when we have done them it wasn't a big deal at all, and all of the "work" of it fell to me.
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
mommysdb
Earning My Ears

If you believe they are a hassle, then they will be. For me, I believe the fun of a new resort is worth it so I find them amazing.
mommysdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
katyjeka
DIS Veteran

I think split stays are fun, but I'd never do it again with kids. I'm probably not as organized as everyone else, but moving day for us was a nightmare. It felt as if I lost a day of vacation.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
madelyn
DIS Veteran

In the past I've been supportive of split stays but this last trip was not a good experience. Booked a last minute DVC stay and ended up with 2 nts Boardwalk Villas, followed by 2 nts Bay Lake Tower. Couldn't find 4 straight nights through DVC at any resort we wanted to stay at. At the last minute the chance for 4 nights at Beach Club came up. Should have snatched those up but DH said he was looking forward to staying at BLT for the first time. What made the split stay so hard was that we drove from Texas and before we made it to Orlando, we had already been away from home for 4 nights. We already had been to 2 other destinations and stayed 2 nights and moved, then stayed another 2 nights and moved. So it was moving every 2 nights FOUR times! We also had many random bags, a sleeping cot, snacks and drinks, things we purchased, etc and attempted to move ourselves and not through bell services. It put DH in a bad mood. We did finish up our Orlando stay with 7 nights at an off-site Marriott condo. If we attempt another split stay it would be for no less than 3 nights in one place and we would also pack better. If we had a car we would only take out what we needed, although just taking out what is needing for a family of 5 (3 kids) plus 2 extra adults still would have been a lot of stuff. One positive thing was that we were able to buy the dining plan for only 2 nights (first two nights). So we had dining credits that we used until our check in and until check out day at midnight.
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
peabody58
I'm just a drummer in a R&R Band!!

For our 9 day trip in Sept 2013, we are planning our 1st split stay: AKV Studio Standard for 4 nights, and then live it up at BCV 1 BR for 5 nights. We are both excited about getting to experience 2 new DVC resorts and have an enjoyable relaxing end stay. We'll have our own car, so packing up and changing resorts won't be a problem at all. Now the wait for the 7 month window.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
tinkbyday
DIS Veteran

We did a split stay once and it wasn't a good experience. We were there for 9 days that trip, so fortunately, the fact that we ended up losing a whole day due to the fiasco we endured, was not a big deal.

Dec 09 YC CL Jan 09 YC Apr '08 WL and POR Jan '07 BWI Nov '05 Swan Oct '03 CBR
tinkbyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
Sue M
DIS Veteran

We do split stays on trips 10 days and over. This does give us a chance to settle in to each resort and experience it. On shorter trips I stay put.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

For us, it is yes to both Was awesome when it was just the DW and I, but a lot more inconvenient with our 2 DD's. We drive so we take a LOT more stuff then we would if we had to fly, so packing it all up to move was a hassle. We would probably do it again if we ever stayed for like 14 days. It is nice to see 2 resorts in one trip though

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: