Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
ammag
DIS Veteran

need dinner ideas near AK for husbands b-day

so october 24 the park closes at 5pm. This is the end of our 5th day at the parks. we will be at AK, and having lunch at tusker house. We will be with our 5.5 yr old and 15 month old children. We want to be back at our hotel by 7 or 8 (marriot grande vista near seaworld) is thre anyplce we can go to dinner? what restaurants are close to AK but possibly in a resort, or on international drive that you recommend and will be on the quicker side? can we take flametree bbq to go and eat at the hotel? we may end up grabbing a bite at the hotel and getting everyone to bed earlier but I want to see my options. We can definitely make the lunch special for him...wish babysitting wasnt so expensive! any other ideas to make it special? thanks!
ammag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Mcert01
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammag View Post
so october 24 the park closes at 5pm. This is the end of our 5th day at the parks. we will be at AK, and having lunch at tusker house. We will be with our 5.5 yr old and 15 month old children. We want to be back at our hotel by 7 or 8 (marriot grande vista near seaworld) is thre anyplce we can go to dinner? !
All the best people are born on October 24th, including me!

Are you sure you will be at AK until park closing? If you get to AK at rope drop you should be done no later than 3, and that is if you do some things multiple times. I'm guessing with a 5 1/2 year old Expedition Everest and Dinosaur aren't on the tour list.

I believe Sanaa and Boma at AK Kandani Village and AK Lodge respectively, open at 5 for dinner. Both are wonderful. Sanaa is excellent. They both have items for young kids as well. Go to allears.net for the menus and reviews.

If you decide on Sanaa ask for a seat by the window, even wait for one if it is not available right away. The view of the savannah with the animal is worth waiting for.

If you leave AK a little early your options also open up to other restaurants as well. There are several at the Boardwalk which are excellent. Kouzzina is a personal favorite of mine. Flying Fish is excellent as well. You could also hit Downtown Disney and try Portabello's, Wolfgang Puck's Cafe, or a number of other good restaurants there.

Again, I'd go to allears.net and scout the restaurants and menus that appeal to you and your husband.

Good Luck!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
tinx35124
Earning My Ears

Animal Kingdom Lodge is a very beautiful resort. The 5 yo will enjoy walking out looking over at the savannah. Definitely look around the resort. Boma is a great buffet that should get you back in time. Here's wishing yall a great trip.
tinx35124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

If you want to grab something quick you could eat at AK's food court and still enjoy walking around AKL.

You could also check out some of the CS locations at DTD. Earl, Wolfgang, and Cookes are all good. And you could take the kids and DH for a ride on the boats that make 3 stops at DTD. It's pretty nice.
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
gabzee
DIS Veteran

AKL is lovely and very close to AK! I would suggest Boma. It is a great dinner buffet. We typically don't enjoy buffets for dinner but this is the only one at Disney that we will go to. Make sure to mention that you are celebrating a birthday! Since you are celebrating DH's birthday I would go for a TS since it is more "special" but you really want to eat at a CS go to Mara at the AKL. Either way, I would take advantage of the resort and explore a bit after your meal. They have nighttime viewing goggles which are fun for kids! Boma opens for dinner at 4:30pm and if you get to AK at rope drop you can finish the park before closing especially since you have young kids and won't most likely be doing the headliners.

gabzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

Animal Kingdom Lodge is a concentration of some of the best restaurants in Walt Disney World. I don't think you can go wrong with anything there. If you think you'll want something quick, their counter service, the Mara would probably be good. The Uzima Springs Pool Bar has interesting offerings too. If you find that you do want something sit-down, I don't think you'd have any trouble at all getting in at Sanaa. And Jiko is my favorite restaurant on property, but it's not a quick meal and it's on the pricey side.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: June 2015 - Disneyland
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
ammag
DIS Veteran

how do we get to the resort, just drive over? I didnt think we would be leaving AK early, my daughter LOVES animals and is good at taking her time, really looking at things, not just tearing though exhibits. Definitely wont do those rides! well, shes nuts over dinos too but I think it will be too scary. I might want to go through Maybe I will make a reservation and play it by ear at the time. thanks for all of the info!!!
ammag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
gabzee
DIS Veteran

To get to AKL from AK, you can either drive there or take the bus. However, since you are staying off-site it would be easiest to simply drive there. Tell the guard in the gate that you have an ADR if you plan on eating at one of the TS or plan on eating if you are going to Mara.

gabzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animal kingdom, birthday

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: