Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #301
Drew9780
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keurigirl View Post
I find it very sad so many of you think breastfeeding an infant is categorized as "totally shocking" and warrants being in this thread.

Our confused American culture has isolated breasts to the category of "sexual symbol", when in actuality, breasts are for feeding babies. Is it ok with you that we flaunt breasts during primetime television broadcasts, in beer ads, to sell alcohol, lingerie, perfume, and for many other products that aren't even related to them? I assume you aren't hiding your eyes (or the eyes of your children) from every ad that uses breasts to sell a product. I take no issue with breasts being sexual, but more importantly, they need to be seen as nurturing and life-sustaining.

Far from "protecting" children from seeing breasts used for their biologically normal function, research suggests that it is helpful for children and young adults to see breastfeeding as a normal activity and to allow them to develop an everyday language for talking about how babies are fed.

The outdated notion that breastfeeding is something that should be hidden away contradicts international public health messages, which encourage mothers to breastfeed exclusively for six months, with continued breastfeeding up to two years and beyond.

I mean, even in Saudi Arabia, women openly breastfeed their children even though they wear a full veil! All across Europe it is totally normal and natural to see breastfeeding infants.

I just find it very sad when a mother is in public and she needs to use for their primary purpose, that other people feel they must push their very sexual and immature view of breastfeeding on her. She is doing nothing sexual. She’s just feeding her baby. I don’t know any women who breastfeed to draw attention to themselves or say “Hey look at me! Look at my breasts!” She is just doing one of the most natural things in the world, that has been done since the dawn of man: feeding her child.
I breast fed both of my children until they were 13 months old, and always covered myself while in public. While I agree with you that breast feeding is the most natural thing in the world, so is going pee, but I wouldn't do that out in the open for everyone to see. It takes nothing to whip out a blanket and cover yourself and yes to walk around and have your breasts bared in front of children (even if it is nourishing your child) is shocking to kids who are to little to understand or big enough to be embarrassed. You can still promote and encourage breast feeding, while also covering up. And as far as comparing us to Saudi Arabia or Europe, it reminds of my children saying "but so and so's mom let's them do it", and my reply is "well I'm not so and so's mom".
Drew9780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #302
Brumbie13
Mr. Mickeybars

For the sake of this hilarious thread, can we please not continue the breastfeeding argument from 8 years ago?

Everyone has a strong opinion about it one way or the other, and nobody is going to change anybody's mind.

It's best to stay away from controversial topics that raise emotions. If we as members can't do it on our own, the moderators will do it for us, and the result will be that we lose a terrific 8 year old thread.

Brumbie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #303
psimon
Will travel for turkey legs!
Welcome to the money pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumbie13 View Post
For the sake of this hilarious thread, can we please not continue the breastfeeding argument from 8 years ago?

Everyone has a strong opinion about it one way or the other, and nobody is going to change anybody's mind.

It's best to stay away from controversial topics that raise emotions. If we as members can't do it on our own, the moderators will do it for us, and the result will be that we lose a terrific 8 year old thread.

Thank you!

---Paul in Southern NJ
and (Grandma & Grandpa) 8/14 DCL Fantasy 7N Western and BLT, 8/13 Hawaii/Aulani and DL/VGC, 8/12 DCL Dream 5N / BLT, 8/11 AKL-K, 11/10 AKL-K, 11/09 AKL/BCV, 11/08 OKW, 11/07 OKW, 11/06 OKW, 11/05 DL, 11/04 OKW & DCL, 11/03 RPH OKW, Dolphin, 11/02 DCL 7D EASTERN, 11/01 OKW, 11/00 OKW, 11/99 SoG, 11/98 SoG, 11/97 SoG, 11/96 BI, 11/95 WL, 11/94 PO-R, 11/93 YC, 11/92 Poly, 11/91 Poly, 09/90 Poly, 12/89 GF, 08/88 Poly, 11/87 Poly, 11/86 Poly

psimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #304
chicagodisneyfan
Peace
He looked ridiculous - but it gave me the giggles for a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew9780 View Post
I breast fed both of my children until they were 13 months old, and always covered myself while in public. While I agree with you that breast feeding is the most natural thing in the world, so is going pee, but I wouldn't do that out in the open for everyone to see. ot so and so's .
Sorry - but your comparison is wrong.
Everyone eats in public - so a baby should be able to eat without a blanket in his face. NO ONE (legally) urinates/defecates in public.
chicagodisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #305
cypressmom
Love my Disney vacations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodisneyfan View Post
Sorry - but your comparison is wrong.
Everyone eats in public - so a baby should be able to eat without a blanket in his face. NO ONE (legally) urinates/defecates in public.
I agree. I nursed my babies when they were hungry, wherever we were, just like a mom who chooses to bottle feed. I never covered my child's face while eating and I never once had anything said to me or got glaring looks. You can be discreet without smothering your baby.

Disney World, 1986,1995, 2011 & 2014
Disneyland, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2013
Disney Cruise Line, 2012 & 2014
cypressmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #306
Brumbie13
Mr. Mickeybars

Brumbie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #307
HFC1969
Grand Floridian Junkie!

I gave DW... a Mexican Riviera cruise for Bday... just this past Feb 2012...

OUr DS (12) ... who usually pen pals with other DIS kids to find friends for upcoming cruises.. did not have the chance.. cuz I kept the trip a secret until the last minute...

Anyway... second day of cruise we ventured down to deck 2 to see if we could find DS(12) and make sure he had made friends...

Coming out of Edge, as we walked up... were a group of very cute girls 14ish... prob.. Anyway.. guess who they were with.. DS... I looked at DW and said, "Well I think he found friends"
Old 06-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #308
Dislaney4n6
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Well it lasted 8 hours!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #309
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforward View Post
While sitting peacefully by the Mickey Pool watching and photographing my children as they went down the slide I was privy to a very interesting conversation:
Kid (about three): Mom, I have to go to the bathroom.
Mom: Number one or two?
Kid: Number one
Mom: Then go in the pool.
Kid: Okay.

Nice!
Time to go to the Goofy pool!
I can guarantee it's happening in the Goofy Pool and Quiet Cove Pool as well. That's why they put chlorine in the water.
Places we've stayed at WDW: All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans - Riverside, Port Orleans - French Quarter, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Grand Floridian.
Previous cruises:
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2001
7-night Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, Oct-Nov, 2009
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2011
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, Nov-Dec, 2013
Upcoming Cruise: 7-night Alaska, Disney Wonder, June, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathons completed - 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014
BuzzLightyearInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #310
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post
As long as you do it 3 miles out -- no one will care
DCL has a strict, self-imposed, zero overboard policy. They take all trash and waste back to shore.
Places we've stayed at WDW: All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans - Riverside, Port Orleans - French Quarter, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Grand Floridian.
Previous cruises:
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2001
7-night Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, Oct-Nov, 2009
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2011
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, Nov-Dec, 2013
Upcoming Cruise: 7-night Alaska, Disney Wonder, June, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathons completed - 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014
BuzzLightyearInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #311
pjstevens
Had our DFTW Vow Renewal on the Wonder for our 25th!
Now the proud grandparents of Isabella Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Recently on the Magic the ship was buzzed by a jet fighter (I don't know what kind...but think Top Gun).....it was a sea day and just relaxing on Deck 10....heard a tremendous noise and looked to the port side and saw the jet fighter level with Deck 10 and just a few yards away from the ship zooming by.....that was a first in 24 DCL cruises.
We just witnessed this on the Magic on the afternoon that we left Halifax (last week)! Couldn't believe how close that jet seemed. Of course no one was prepared with a camera (or not that I've seen).
Our First Trip HOME (May 09) DFTW VR (Sept 08) Christmas 2007 August 2007
Off-site 1992; off-site 1999 (w/o the kids) off-site 2000; All Star Movies 2005; Pop 2006; Pop Aug-2007; All Star Music suites Dec 2007; DFTW – DCL – Pop 2008; Pop – Jan 2009; AKV – May 2009; Grand Californian Aug 2009; BWV – Jan 2010; AKV Dec 2010; AKV – Jan 2011; Disney Dream/AKV Sep 2011; Dec 2011 AKV; Magic-Canada June 2012; Fantasy-Eastern Carribean December 2012; SSR August 2013; Wonder-Alaska June 2014
pjstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #312
Weedy
DIS Veteran

We were cruising with friends and it was their first cruise but we had cruised a few times. The seas were very rough the day we were leaving and my friend gets sea sick very easily. I knew that if you go down to deck 1 foward First Aid has sea sick medicine in a bowl that you can take. So she and I went down to get the medication but took a wrong turn and wound up in the crew first aid and instead of sea sick medicine it was a bowl of condoms.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #313
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
We were cruising with friends and it was their first cruise but we had cruised a few times. The seas were very rough the day we were leaving and my friend gets sea sick very easily. I knew that if you go down to deck 1 foward First Aid has sea sick medicine in a bowl that you can take. So she and I went down to get the medication but took a wrong turn and wound up in the crew first aid and instead of sea sick medicine it was a bowl of condoms.
Well, the 24 week rule applies to crew as well as guests....
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #314
SpaceEngTM
Earning My Ears

I love this thread! So many funny and shocking stories, I will try to remember these when the inevitable annoyances and rude people pop up on our next cruise. I'll either think, Ha, it could be much worse! OR, now I have a great story for the Disboard folks!
SpaceEngTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #315
sesame_123
Mouseketeer

I was just going to bump this but then I remembered Glynis. It was a RCCL med and we kept bumping into this British woman who is most easily described by comparing to her to Sue Boyle. Similar body types and hair style but this woman was slightly older, but that didn't stop her from wearing a bikini or thong underwear (yes you could see them). And of course we kept seeing her everywhere. But the most memorable thing happened at a trivia contest (battle of the sexes). And the question was something to do with the life cycle of ants. She knows the correct answer and gives it to the woman's team and then her husband says "glynis how did you know that glynis??" to which she replies in a argumentative way "I know things John I watch the nature channel!!!". From there on out if anyone knew the answer we would say "I know things Richard I watch the (fill in with appropriate speciality channel) Disney channel!"
sesame_123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: