Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #31
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

I Like Big Shrimp and I Cannot Lie!

I totally should have closed the curtains when I went to bed last night because the sun was coming in when I woke up at 4:47am! I am most definitely not used to that happening. I tried to go back to sleep with all my might and kept waking up. I finally just got up at 6am and shut myself in the bathroom so Jeremy could sleep and did Facetime with my mother on my iPhone. It was nice getting to see my little doggies back at home when I am 2,823 miles away from home! I love technology! When I got off the phone Jeremy was awake, so we both got up and ready and headed out. We loved Dahlia Bakery so much yesterday that we decided to go back today as well! We didn't have to meet up for our Pike Place Market Tour until 9:40 or so so we had a nice leisurely walk to the Starbucks we were supposed to meet at. Jeremy ran inside and grabbed us some lattes and I got us some seats outside looking straight at the Market Sign

Jeremy had a mocha latte from Starbucks and a Ham & Cheese Croissant from Dahlia Bakery

I had a Vanilla Latte and also had a Ham & Cheese Croissant. We also got an OJ and a plain croissant to split for later, those darn things are just so good!!I am salivating right now just thinking about those croissants!

We still had about 40 minutes until we had to meet back at that Starbucks so we decided to walk around the market a bit to waste a little bit of time! I did manage to take some photos today! There are tons of flowers as I said before
I wanted to buy some fruit so badly, but there was no way we would have been able to eat all of that without it spoiling so I gave up on that idea rather quickly.

If you love seafood and shellfish, this market is as close to heaven as you can get. They had the biggest shrimp I think I have ever seen in my entire life!
They also had rows and rows of Dungeness Crabs, tons of mussels, clams, giant lobster tails, more copper river salmon than an army could eat, I really wish we had this much fresh seafood where I lived! My Omega 3's would be through the roof...

Pretty much whatever you wanted, they had it! I am not a huge fan of spicy food, well I like a little spice, but too much I can't handle, but even the way the hung up the peppers made me want to buy them!

As you walk down Pike Place you hear lots of people asking where the first Starbucks is, and they all get pointed in the direction of this store

But...are they being pointed in the correct direction?? We will save that answer for later on! Being that we are from a small town in North Carolina, we are used to seeing pretty odd things when we travel that we do not have at home. As we were making our way down to the end of the Market I saw something I had never seen before in. A gentleman pushing a pink stroller with two dogs inside!

I guess that might be more common as I would later find out, but it was definitely something I had never seen! It is getting about time to head back to Starbucks to meet our new Savor Seattle Guide for the 2 hour tour, and maybe a few other people too!! So I am now ready to go forth and "Meet The Producer"

AAshleySEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #32
rogattdm
Mouseketeer

PS - We learned from the Duck Tour that the hammering man sculpture gets one day a year off - Labor Day Non-interesting piece of information, but thought I would insert something. Now I am wondering if we should have done the Gourmet Tour instead.....that food looked awesome! Love seeing how your trip started, since we weren't part of that part
rogattdm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #33
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogattdm View Post
PS - We learned from the Duck Tour that the hammering man sculpture gets one day a year off - Labor Day Non-interesting piece of information, but thought I would insert something. Now I am wondering if we should have done the Gourmet Tour instead.....that food looked awesome! Love seeing how your trip started, since we weren't part of that part
I loved both the tours! I updated my TR with your info about the hammer man! I'm glad you are enjoying how our trip started...I feel like I am putting in too many photos...LOL...and we are about to meet for the first time too!!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #34
rogattdm
Mouseketeer

So excited can't wait to read more! We're coming up soon - yikes!
rogattdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #35
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

I Went to Seattle and All I Got Was...Part One

We arrived at Starbucks just as the table we were supposed to meet at got empty! I noticed right away that two families sat down at the table, and I started looking a them and thinking, they have kids about the ages that are in our FE group...hmmm. Santino who was our guide for the Pike Place Tour came in and started getting everyones names and making sure they were on the list...then the names started sounding familiar as well. It was the craziest thing that two of the FE families on our cruise were going to be on the same tour with us! One of the families we would get to know quite well! Everyone finally arrived for the tour and the first thing we were able to taste, I am not sure this is 100% correct because I can't really read my writing so..someone please correct me if this sounds wrong. What I have written down that we tried at Starbucks was a White Chocolate Chai Mocha? I dunno, I thought it was good though because I finished the entire thing, Jeremy however, did not like it very much at all. The first stop on our tour was Daily Dozen doughnuts.

Santino informed everyone at the early stages of the tour that random people sometimes think we are at Costco and start grabbing for our food like the "Mine, Mine" Seagulls in Finding Nemo. So he gave us permission to elbow them out of the way! What better way to kick off the tour than with doughnuts!

This was going to be a good day, I'm glad we didn't eat very much before this tour like the other one! We learned from our mistake! Next up we walked over to Market Spice which is the longest continually running business in the Market!

We got to try their signature Market Spice Blend Tea.

It was definitely unique, I would say. I don't think I have ever tasted any tea like that before. I don't remember exactly but I know it had cinnamon, clove and something else in it...I think...ugh. I feel like I write so much down and then I still miss things! There is really an information overload on these tours, too bad I couldn't have a voice recorder with me! We made our way over to Pike Place Fish Co., home of the world famous fish throwers!

For us to try they had some plain smoked salmon, some garlic-pepper smoked salmon, and some salmon jerky! The garlic pepper one was fantastic!

I wish I would have bought some, darn it why can't I live there! Santino,seemed to be very happy with the Salmon Jerky! I think he was in love!

After eating the salmon Santino decided he wanted to take a ride on the back of Rachel, the unofficial mascot of Pike Place, a 550 pound bronzed piggy bank right in front of the Pike Place Fish Co.

He finally decided it was time to move on and off we went, Santino was walking and talking backwards to our next location and failed to realize there was a blind gentleman behind him, well you know what happens next. Santino ran into him and almost knocked him over, luckily he was alright and just merrily went along his way, no harm no foul. We did however, give him a hard time about it the rest of the trip Our next stop was over at Frank's Quality Produce where we got to try some fresh mango and peaches!

I thought they were both delicious!! I love fresh fruit, so luckily I finally got to try some without buying it! I was very happy about that! So happy my smile turned peachy!!

At least it wasn't cheesy...well not yet anyway!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #36
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad you went on this tour...this is the one I want to do when my in laws come out here this summer!

Btw, my sister bought one of those pepper hangers, and just dried them to hang in her kitchen! It is beautiful!

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #37
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Jax View Post
I'm so glad you went on this tour...this is the one I want to do when my in laws come out here this summer!

Btw, my sister bought one of those pepper hangers, and just dried them to hang in her kitchen! It is beautiful!
What a great idea to dry them out! Man, I want one now, buthow could I have gotten it home...hmmm probably not. Darn it
Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #38
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

I Went to Seattle and All I Got Was...Part Two

Moving on up the street we walked up to Pike Place Chowder.

Now, something you should know about me...I LOVE LOVE LOVE chowder! All of the seafood towns I go to, I try it. I have sort of been on a quest to find the best chowder. Santino was telling us the story about how Pike Place Chowder came to be and then that they had entered it in the Chowder Cook-off and it had won multiple times in a row until they were disqualified from winning again. I am a skeptic so I was just nodding and thinking, I bet it will be good but not the best. So he brings out 2 different samples, one of their award-winning chowder and the other of their seafood bisque.

I am going to tell you...it really is THE BEST chowder I have ever eaten in my entire life. Seattle is turning into a place that has some amazing food everywhere you turn. It is full of things that have turned into my favorite. I found a lot of new things on this trip that I didn't know that I wanted until now we are at home, and I find myself dreaming about it all! Back off of my cloud into reality, the tour must go on after all! I looked over at Jeremy and he had a giggly smile on his face, and I asked him "What is so funny." He sang, "At The Copa...Copacabana..." I gave him one of those looks like, you know those looks that wives give their husbands when they are trying to be funny. We really were at the Copacabana though, and I have the photo to prove it!

We walked down some stairs through an alleyway, crossed the street and went back to the other side of the market and came upon another place which would turn out to have something I would eventually be pouting that I didn't have here at home. We arrived at Chukar Cherries

It was another place that gave us lots of samples, we got to try Peach Cherry Salsa, Honey Pecans (which were covered in chocolate and rolled in powdered sugar), Cabernet Cherries (which were covered in dark chocolate), Raspberry Truffles (cranberry layered with white chocolate dusted in tangy raspberry), Cherry Bings (Bing Cherries layered with milk chocolate), and a plain dried cherry!

I don't even know where to begin with this place. I told Jeremy that we were definitely coming back by here on our last day to get some of these to take home with us...he agreed 100%, now just to decide which ones to get!

If you are even considering staying in Seattle for any length of time, I highly recommend the Savor Seattle Tours! At the end of them they give you a Card and a list of all of their partner stores and locations where you can get an extra 10-15% off of anything you buy there! All of the Tom Douglas Restaurant are on the list, so we used the card at Dahlia Bakery when we went there both mornings! Done with spiel, back to tour! We made our way across the "sidewalk that cars drive on" and over to Beechers Handmade Cheese!

The windows on the side of the building are completely open to the public so you can actually watch the process of their cheese being made right in front of you! We got to try their flagship cheese and cracker and their world famous macaroni & cheese!

In all seriousness, if I happened to live in Seattle, I would have to live in a 5 story walk up or something and only walk everywhere I go because I would eat so much food it would be ridiculous! Oh and btw, Santino really gets into his job! I think he has a blast with it! Which is what you always want in a tour guide! He was so fun and kept everyone laughing the entire time!

We had a very short walk to the next place Piroshky Piroshky and we really almost needed to use that elbow maneuver right about then because everyone wanted some of these!

We had the apple cinnamon, and the beef & cheese piroshky..piroshkies? Whatever the plural is of piroshky is. We got to try those two different kinds! Did I mention Santino was a Dramatic Arts Major...I think we can all tell!

We walked over to the First Starbucks...oh wait, I knew I forgot to tell you all something. Sadly enough it isn't really the first Starbucks after all. So if you go to Seattle and get pointed there...sorry to disappoint you . Santino began to tell us the whole story of where Starbucks got started and how they didn't even start out selling cups of coffee, they only started out selling the beans, and so on and so forth. So if you are ever in doubt, Santino made himself a shirt explaining everything!

If you can't read it all it says, "I went to Seattle and all I got was this lousy T-shirt from the fourth Starbucks (but technically the second location of the first) with a semi-adjusted image of a 16th century wood-carving of a siren.

There...now you all know!

We had one more stop on the tour and we got to sit down out front of this one! Etta's, another Tom Douglas Restaurant..sorry we just love him! This particular one is named after his daughter, I thought that was really sweet! We had his famous crab cakes and boy were they good!

Sadly our tour was now over, we said goodbye to our cruise mates..(for now ), and started our walk toward Safeco Field for the last time of the trip to a little "planned" pre-cruise meet-up!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #39
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Have been enjoying your report, Ashley, but I want to hear about the CRUISE!!!

We leave tomorrow and will be on the ship next week!!

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #40
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post

I'm trying to get there as fast as I can...LOL, but I am glad that you have been enjoying it so far. I am on the 10th right now and we leave for the cruise on the 11th!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #41
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Omg...I am so hungry now!

Jill in CO
Old 06-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #42
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post

I love your location....I am from Missouri and everyone thought MO was Michigan or Mississippi.

Jill in CO
Old 06-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #43
insight blue
Earning My Ears

Great report! I'm enjoying your time in Seattle so much...can't wait for the cruise! I actually just booked one of those tours because yours looked like so much fun!

DH & Me
insight blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #44
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by insight blue View Post
Great report! I'm enjoying your time in Seattle so much...can't wait for the cruise! I actually just booked one of those tours because yours looked like so much fun!
That's great! I know you will have a great time! I should have the first night...and maybe some more of the cruise posted by tonight! I am getting ready to write the last part of the 10th!

I am also scanning Navigators and everything so if anyone is interested in those I will have those up, I am not going to put them in the TR, but I will have links so those that want to see them can!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #45
AAshleySEG
DIS Veteran

That's One Big Walrus!

As we were making our way through the market on our way to Safeco, I looked up and there is another pig!

I sure do feel like a pig after everything that we have eaten! I bet you guys think I eat like this all the time! Only on vacation...I promise! So onward to meet Pixie08 who is also going to the at the game with her DH. We are supposed to meet them at "The Pen" which is like this really cool area at Safeco right behind the bullpens (where the pitchers warm up before and during games). They have food there, no...we aren't eating anymore food right now! We had arranged to meet up at the fire pit at 12:45 because the game started at 1:10.

We are trying to get there rather quickly, our tour didn't end until 12:00, and as I am walking through, I hear someone calling my name! She saw me and got my attention and we chatted and watched the pitchers for a bit before the game started! It is so much fun getting to meet people through the Disboards, especially people that love Disney at much as we do!!

We said goodbye to them and headed to our seats for the last game of the 3 game series and had to take the obligatory photo of ourselves in our seats! We have a photo like this from all 15 of the ball parks that we have been to!

I know you guys are dying to find out about the cruise so I am trying to make this short and sweet! So, long story short, Dodgers WIN again!! We said goodbye to Safeco Field and headed for the LINK back toward the Hotel!

By the time the game was over it was about 4:15 and we knew it would take us a bit to get back, so we decided to head on down to the place we had picked out for dinner. I know, I know..more food. So we took the LINK as far as it would go which is Westlake and had to change over to the Streetcar which goes from Westlake to South Lake Union. They come pretty often but I still had time to take a photo while we waited!

Jeremy also had time to be silly! He always has time for that!

We had chosen to go to...you guessed it...another Tom Douglas place. The Brave Horse Tavern. They supposedly had these amazing Sunday Fried Chicken Dinners, which was like a 3-piece pickle-brined fried chicken, twice baked potato, broccoli bacon & cheddar ice-box salad, and bourbon-laced cornbread for $14! That sounded like something we didn't want to miss! So we hopped on the Streetcar and rode it down there, got out walked up to the door....and...they were closed for a private event! We were so sad Now what were we going to do?? We sat on a bench outside for a little while trying to figure something out. Then we just got back on the streetcar and headed back toward the hotel. I was looking up places on my iPhone, menus and such and so we called Etta's to see if they had any reservations...they didn't have one until 8:00, it was 5:00 now and that was a while away and believe it or not we were actually hungry already. So then Jeremy called Seatown to see if we needed reservations and if there was a dress code or anything, to which the hostess replied, "Just wear clothes". I'm pretty sure we can do that, so off we went!

I wanted to order Steamed Clams, but sadly they were out. This is where you may start to pick up on the fact that everything I planned on this trip...was not going to work out the way we thought. So for dinner I ended up ordering Tri-Tip and Jeremy ordered the ribs and as a starter we just got some Dahlia Bakery Bread which came with lardo to spread on it...I think this town wants me to have a heart attack! The tri-tip was so delicious, this is all that was left...Absolutely Nothing!

We then ordered dessert...of course right! I got the Peanut Butter Pie and Jeremy the Coconut Creme Pie!

Before our desserts made it to our table we noticed some guys sitting outside on their patio and they had gotten the Chicken Pot Pie...Apparently we ordered the wrong thing because these guys were literally licking their chicken pot pie pans clean...Now those must have been good! I then heard Jeremy say, "That's one big walrus!" I was like what?? I then turned around to see this above my head!

Geez the funny things in life that amuse us! Back at home Jeremy and I have a contest every time we eat out and basically, it is to see who is the better orderer of food! Today, I won hands down! The tri-tip was fantastic, along with the smoke potato salad and asparagus that it was served with, I'm sure you could tell by my plate! The chocolate PB pie was another clear winner. Jeremy's coconut creme pie was still really good at about an 8 out of 10! He was sad about losing. It usually happens that way though...

I was so happy that some of Jeremy's silly rubbed off on me!

Now thoroughly stuffed, we slowly walked our way back to the hotel to relax a little. On our way out, Jeremy said, "psst...isn't that Tom Douglas at the bar?" And it totally WAS! I would have taken a photo of him but by the time he said it to me, I think it would have been a little tacky to turn around, whip out my camera and take a photo of him while we was having a beer at the bar of his restaurant. It was so crazy that with the Brave Horse Tavern being closed and us having to choose a different restaurant, (out of the 12 he has), that we happened to choose the one he was at! What a great way to end our day! Tomorrow we embark on our WONDERful Disney Cruise to Alaska!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: