Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you most look forward to doing on the Fantasy?
Riding the Aquaduck 79 25.65%
Dining in Palo and/or Remy 92 29.87%
Relaxing in the Rainforest Room 30 9.74%
Solving a Midship Detective Agency crime 20 6.49%
Shopping on shore and/or on ship 10 3.25%
Sailing with Mickey and Minnie 77 25.00%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #226
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

some of the perks

This is the changing curtain. We never used it, but it is nice to know it's there.

These are the lovely plush concierge towels mom loved so much. They will bring you more if you need it.

Plenty of pop and water (we had 9 adults and didn't run out). Also there are cold wet towels which... are... awesome!

It's all very civilized in the cabanas - napkins and silverware and plates. You have to get your food at Cookies and bring it back but #6 was near one of the Cookies buffets and it wasn't a problem.

Since there were 9 of us, PJ, without our asking, filled this with more chips and bars sometime during the morning, but this is what comes in the cabana. And he brought us a second fruit bowl. The fruit bowls were great!

I can neither confirm nor deny that I ordered frozen drink or two.
jegsnakkernorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #227
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

more from the cabana

There was enough seating for all of us though I don't have photos of the couches and other chairs. Yes, there are a few things I didn't take photos of.

Soon these floats and rafts will be put to use...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #228
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

And a few more photos of the cabana because why not

These beach chairs are for cabana guests in these cabanas only. It was nice having chairs in the sand to enjoy as well. Though Sis and I didn't have much time to (with the snorkeling, biking, and floating we did), but some of our friends did some tanning. And we all came back red - they have the same spray Coppertone sunblock as you have in the concierge sun deck but we just were bad about reapplying - it's a long day outside and you don't realize how fast time is going by.

There is a freshwater shower for rinsing off salt and sand at the foot of the cabana on the beach side. This was so handy for rinsing off. There are showers in the other areas but to have it just outside your cabana is SO nice!

Old 06-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #229
speedo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
i guess you reserved a cabana on the family beach since you wanted to snorkel..

i've been debating between the family beach and serenity bay, but finally decided on SB....i figured we'd probably stay out there most of the time, including eat at the BBQ there....
(i haven't booked yet - my booking window opens this friday night)

why did you choose a family beach cabana? did you consider SB at all? if so, why did you rule it out?
My sister pretty much answered it. But I guess for me I like being near all the activities and have a view of the ship. SB is too secluded and quiet for me. Of course that is the point of it But I like the activity of the Family beach and in a Cabana I got to see all of it without being in the middle of it.

Oh and when you book you can't add other people to it so don't waste time trying. At least I had trouble with that so until we got on the ship it was just me in the Cabana. The concierge team onboard was able to add everyone else.
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #230
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

wedding at castaway cay

Sis and I went over to get our snorkels and happened to see a wedding taking place.

didn't want to get too close but you can get an idea ofwhere it is located and that the bride arrives in golf cart.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #231
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Snorkeling!

Snorkeling in Castaway Cay was better than what we had on Grand Caymen on the Disney excursion last year. It was a bit turned up from the storm yesterday, but we still saw lots of fish (probably a dozen species).

Lots of sunken things but they are located by the bouys so if you want to not spend a long time swimming around like we did - go for the bouys.

sergeant major

yellow tail snapper - yum

not sure what you are but bet you taste good too

Old 06-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #232
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

still snorkeling

finally, the sunken mickey!

by this time dad and our scottish friends joined us

Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #233
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

from snorkel rentals to bike rentals

Sis, Dad, our scottish friend, and I dried off and went to ride bikes. Dad thought the weather looked like it would storm this afternoon and we heard from cast members that a horrible storm had hit the island the day before (amazing how they cleaned it up for us - we didn't know at all based on how clear the roads were).

The observation tower you bike to and have a great view of the island

look for the pelican out house when you are there

Old 06-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #234
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegsnakkernorsk View Post
Good questions. Sis did all the planning and research. And staying up to book. She really wanted to do the snorkeling and it worked out well to be at the family beach since it can hold more guests (we ended up with 9 in the cabana).

On our Magic cruise last year, it was January and cooler so we didn't use the water much at all. We went to SB first but it was so empty we ended up in the family beach most of the time.

This trip we liked having the snorkeling (which we agreed we wouldn't do again - it was a long swim out there and I'm not sorry we did it, but would probably spend time doing something else next trip).

We liked that the family beach cabanas (5-7) have a view of the ship from the cabana. I'm not sure if you get rafts at the SB too, but those were very nice and we made good use of them!

I thought the family beach would be loud with kids, but the cabanas were really spread out and you felt like you had the beach and water all to yourself. I would imagine SB is the same.

We liked cabana #6, but can't compare it to SB cabanas for you - sorry.

They may also have cabanas that are more accessible. I'm sorry I can't give you better info. Sis might be able to...
we snorkeled our first time on CC and also decided we wouldn't do it again...
we also weren't sorry we did it, but on our next visit, we too did other things...
we scuba and snorkel in the red sea and the water at CC just can't compare at all....so we didn't see much point to it for us....but i guess it would be fun for people who don't live near water.. but again, it was interesting to do that one time...

what you say about seeing the ship and the nice private beach is what keeps me wondering what we should do...plus i like that piped in island music (they don't have it at SB)....
the cabanas themselves are identical (SB also can hold 10 people - you just have to pay for everyone), and they also have the floats. the only thing they don't have is the snorkel equipment and sand toys..

i know we're going to want to shop (yeah, i love cheesy branded souvenirs - what can i say), so that's by the family beach areas (i think it's all over there).....but of course we can take the tram back and forth if we want...

i've heard the BBQ at SB is nicer....it was back when we were on CC, but at that time there was only cookies (the new family beach area hadn't been built yet)...

what to do what to do..
gotta make a decision soon - friday night is D day!! (120 day booking window)...

Last edited by disneyholic family; 06-20-2012 at 12:51 AM.
disneyholic family is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #235
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

More from the Bike Ride

We raced each other down the tarmack/runway.

We then followed the bike path along a pine lined road that ended in this beautiful beach (that you can't access)

On the way back from the beach we passed a lot of people going the other way and they looked hot and tired. Sis cheered them up by saying it was only 10 more miles!

Since the cruise, Dad has purchased a touring bicycle from the local bike shop and has been biking around the neighborhood in the morning. I think this was a direct result of the nice experience he had on CC.

We rewarded ourselves for doing the bike ride while the others soaked in the sun on the beach and mom relaxed in the shade and fan of the cabana, with self serve soft serve ice cream. On the ship this opens at 11am and it is manned the enitre time so it's always kept clean (I like that ). On the island they have the same flavors of chocolate and vanilla as well as a couple extra new flavors (I only care about chocolate so didn't notice). Some people take the paper drink cups to fill with ice cream. I am a traditionalist who used a cone. The ice cream machine was not very far from the cabanas at the family beach. Not very far at all...

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 06-20-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #236
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

A little bit of heaven

Now that Sis and I can check off our to-do list snorkeling and biking (rentals came with the cabana free), we hit the cabana beach for a little bit before lunch.

Feels like a private beach!

the fish came right up to me in the water

I think these are mangrove snapper

Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #237
btoroam
Earning My Ears

hello this is Mom!

Yes, I was curious to read the disboard my daughters were writing so I finally learned how to access the site. Yeah!

I do want to add that the evening shows were out of this world. My husband and I did not miss any! We even confirmed that our wedding vow renewal would be finished in time to attend the evening musical. We were on the Cunard QE last summer and the shows on that Carnival owned cruise line could not come close to the wonderful entertainment that only Disney can provide. My daughters mentioned the musicals, but I enjoyed the other shows, (jugglers, comedians) just as much.
btoroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #238
btoroam
Earning My Ears

what to do

Quote:
we snorkeled our first time on CC and also decided we wouldn't do it again...
we also weren't sorry we did it, but on our next visit, we too did other things...
we scuba and snorkel in the red sea and the water at CC just can't compare at all....so we didn't see much point to it for us....but i guess it would be fun for people who don't live near water.. but again, it was interesting to do that one time...

what you say about seeing the ship and the nice private beach is what keeps me wondering what we should do...plus i like that piped in island music (they don't have it at SB)....
the cabanas themselves are identical (SB also can hold 10 people - you just have to pay for everyone), and they also have the floats. the only thing they don't have is the snorkel equipment and sand toys..

i know we're going to want to shop (yeah, i love cheesy branded souvenirs - what can i say), so that's by the family beach areas (i think it's all over there).....but of course we can take the tram back and forth if we want...

i've heard the BBQ at SB is nicer....it was back when we were on CC, but at that time there was only cookies (the new family beach area hadn't been built yet)...

what to do what to do..
gotta make a decision soon - friday night is D day!! (120 day booking window)...

The cabana we had was not to far from the restrooms, this maybe a deciding factor for you. I know your mother and sister will appreciate your hard work in planning the cruise, just as we did with our daughters' efforts for our cruise. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I know your trip will be very special for your sister and mother and you.

Last edited by btoroam; 06-20-2012 at 07:27 AM.
btoroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #239
speedo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The decisions are so hard and then for me I was so worried after I booked about whether I made the right decisions. For example, I didn't book the staterooms with the extended veranda because I didn't know about them at the time. I was so worried that we wouldn't like ours as much. But that was not the case at all. I absolutely loved our room even with the standard verandah.

I am such a worrier that I need to repeat to myself that the vacation will be great no matter what! I have never had a bad vacation with Disney so I really should stop worrying but I still do!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #240
speedo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoroam View Post
The cabana we had was not to far from the restrooms.
Oh but "spring a leak" is not the cute name they use for the restrooms on Castaway Cay, as someone in our party thought when they saw it on a sign

Spring a Leak is a kids play area although with young kids you never know...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: