Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
SenorGreg
Earning My Ears

1 Night at Aulani - How best to make it work?

Hi everyone,
So, I live in Australia and am coming back to Oregon in September. I have booked to fly via Hawaii so I can spend 24 hours at Aulani on the way. I will be travelling by myself, as my wife will join me in the US a week later. Aulani is not cheap, I never thought I would book a $500 hotel room (with taxes), but I have! I have decided to do a one night trip, since this time I am by myself and the room rates scare me enough into thinking I will save my money for a trip with my wife in the future.

Anyway, I just listened tonight to the Dis Unplugged Podcast from September 21st and now I absolutely cannot wait to go. What I learned the most from this episode was about the amount of details to see in the resort and activities worth doing there. I had been thinking about it as a resort like say the Poly or Grand Californian, which are big Disney resorts, but you of course go out for many of your activities.

So now I am a little worried about not leaving disappointed from my short stay, having only scratched the surface. I am turning to the boards for some suggestions on what to see/do/eat in my brief time at Aulani.

I fly into Honolulu from Sydney on JetStar at 7:45am. I have my fingers crossed they don't cancel their flight at the boarding time like last time, then leave us abandoned in the terminal for an hour before bothering to send a customer service rep.... I would have flown Hawaiian since I despise JetStar since I experienced their customer service but I am not going to spend $400 more for the privilege....I digress...

So, I fly in at 7:45am, plan to rent a car and head straight to the property, not departing until I need to leave for my 2:40pm flight to Portland the next day. That gives me about 31 hours to soak up Aulani.

I plan on doing a Makahiki buffet breakfast after check in, then I am up for suggestions...

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
  • Disneyland - Grand Californian - February 2011

Find me on Google+
SenorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
SenorGreg
Earning My Ears

Bump... Anyone?

Just curious what everyone's best memories are from their Aulani stays...

Find me on Google+
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
SenorGreg
Earning My Ears

Think I just realised I posted this in the wrong thread, as I think this is for WDW properties only?? Any chance of a moderator moving it or should I re-post?

Sorry! I'm new here....

Find me on Google+
Old 06-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
reiella
DIS Veteran

Ya, not sure where would be appropiate, there's the DVC Resort forum, because it's a DVC property, but you're really referencing the hotel-side of things.

I don't know myself, 1 night seems like a fairly short period of time to go to a resort. Hope you find some info to help you .
reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
melbatoast
Dis Fan

We just spent one night at Aulani in March. Got there about 3:30 in the afternoon, had dinner by the pool etc. Next morning had a quick breakfast and headed out to the beach/pool until about 3pm, then headed to the Waikiki Sheraton for 5 days for half the price!!!

I definately think it was worth it for the 24 hours. We were going to just go there to see it, but it was a long drive from the airport so I'm glad we stayed there instead.

It is really nice, however, in a pretty remote area so I think we would be bored after a few days. Not a lot of dining options either, but that's not an issue if you are only there one night.
1975 Cont, 1987 Golf Villas, 2000 Disneyland Hotel, 2001 WL, 2002 BC&GF, 2003 Disneyland Hotel, 2004 BC, 2005 Disneyland Hotel, 2007 Riverside,BC&Swan, 2008 BC, 2009 Dolphin&BC, 2009 CS&AK&BC, 2010 Disneyland Hotel, 2010 DTD Hilton, WL, 2011 BC
melbatoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
SenorGreg
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbatoast View Post
We just spent one night at Aulani in March. Got there about 3:30 in the afternoon, had dinner by the pool etc. Next morning had a quick breakfast and headed out to the beach/pool until about 3pm, then headed to the Waikiki Sheraton for 5 days for half the price!!!

I definately think it was worth it for the 24 hours. We were going to just go there to see it, but it was a long drive from the airport so I'm glad we stayed there instead.

It is really nice, however, in a pretty remote area so I think we would be bored after a few days. Not a lot of dining options either, but that's not an issue if you are only there one night.
Sounds good to me.

I figure 24 hours is better than no hours, and like you say I should have plenty to fill my time.

If I can rent some DVC points, then I might consider a two night stay, but not at the hotel rates.

Thanks

Find me on Google+
Old 06-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
SenorGreg
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post
Ya, not sure where would be appropiate, there's the DVC Resort forum, because it's a DVC property, but you're really referencing the hotel-side of things.

I don't know myself, 1 night seems like a fairly short period of time to go to a resort. Hope you find some info to help you .
Yeah, I struggled a little with where to put it. I think because it is sort of a new category of resort for Disney...

Find me on Google+
Old 06-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
melbatoast
Dis Fan

I thought the prices were REALLY high, considering you can stay at a pretty nice resort on Waikiki for half of that. I'm really glad we went there though, even for a short time. We used miles for our fllights, so I figured we had some $$$ to spare!
1975 Cont, 1987 Golf Villas, 2000 Disneyland Hotel, 2001 WL, 2002 BC&GF, 2003 Disneyland Hotel, 2004 BC, 2005 Disneyland Hotel, 2007 Riverside,BC&Swan, 2008 BC, 2009 Dolphin&BC, 2009 CS&AK&BC, 2010 Disneyland Hotel, 2010 DTD Hilton, WL, 2011 BC
melbatoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
SenorGreg
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbatoast View Post
I thought the prices were REALLY high, considering you can stay at a pretty nice resort on Waikiki for half of that. I'm really glad we went there though, even for a short time. We used miles for our fllights, so I figured we had some $$$ to spare!
Yes, I plan to use miles as well where I can, so I have been using the same justification.

Find me on Google+
Old 06-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #10
Lil' Grumpy
Lil' Grumpy is really a Big Sweetie

hello..or better yet..ahola!

we just return s/p spending 2 weeks there, and just trying to catch
up.

when we arrived s/p 5 minutes, we knew we would be back. haw-yeah!

fyi---waikiki/wacky beach....it 's over crowded but great for
people watching. however, we crashed 2 places that we saw on the
food network, man vs food.

the big A is worth it! it's a complex, not just a resort. you won't have
any problem just exploring the resort. ( hint, it has lil'disney touches
all over ) . the beach is worth going to. a temporary resident ,
"bennie" the monk seal paid us a visit. they even have a magical
reef.

one night, they were recording a disney channel show. one of the
stars noticed our daughter and was very nice to take pictures
with her and my wife.

some nights they showed movies on the lawn and they provided
the mats. we saw the muppets movie & it was excellent.

..there are alot locals sneaking in after hours. they often bring
"drinks" so the guests don't tell. esp. around the infinity pool.

...there are many photos ops. the long hall ways @ the lobby
are liked an inverted canoe. neat to take during night. they are
big in dressing the part, and are very friendly.

we spent the first day eating, swimming & sleeping. no matter, we
had a fun vacation.

Tags
aulani

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: