Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
belle2211
DIS Veteran

1st Magical Year--Anniversary Trip Mini TR!--updated 6/24 Completed

Hi everyone! I mostly hang out at the Wedding Board because I am local so don't really get to do TRs

BUT for our first anniversary, we decided to stay at the Grand Floridian. We had a blast AND I get to do a TR!

Let me introduce ourselves...

I'm Andrea. I'm 31, a Kindergarten teacher, and a seasonal cast member at the Great Movie Ride at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

DH is Kory. He's 33 and works for Disney over in the offices in Celebration.

We got married at the Wedding Pavillion with a reception at the Grand Floridian on June 11, 2011. And since I CANNOT pick just one picture, here's my 4 favs!

Oh, and this is our furbaby Bella...she's very spoiled!

Thanks for reading along!

Last edited by belle2211; 06-24-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

I'm here! Can't wait to read about it!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
jlocmac
DIS Veteran

I'm glad you started so soon!! Can't wait to read all about it!!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
DizFan101
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to read the rest of the Trip Report.
Your Furbaby is sooo adorable.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
DoomBuggy0922
DIS Veteran

YAYYY!!! I'm here!!! Happy anniversary, babygirl. I love all of those wedding pictures. You are so, so pretty.

'96[POFQ] '97 [POR]; '99[POFQ] '02[OKW] '03[gparents condo] '04[gparents condo & DCL] '05[condo] '06[PC] '07[SSR] 3/08[condo] 9/08[PC] 6/09[POFQ]; 12/09[PC] '10[AKL&PC] 3/11[SSR] 8/11[PC] 01/12:BCV, GF, and BLT (Weddingmoon!!!); 05/12:AKL-KV; 12/12: SSR; 2/13: OKW; 4/13: BWV & OKW; 07/13: VWL & BCV; 09/13: BWV & YC; 11/13: PC and BWI

Next Trip: Christmas at SSR and BCV!

DFTW PJ and Honeymoon TR Memorial Day Weekend TR
Old 06-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
elleinad16
One of 11 couples to tie the knot at Disney World on 11-11-11!

Hooray! I can't wait to read this TR! You two are so amazing!
(ps. Are we also goin to get a report about Tokyo Disney and Hong Kong Disney?!)
November 2003 - WDW: Yacht Club CL • December 2004 - DLR: Offsite • December 2005 - DLR: Offsite • August 2006 - DCL: Disney Wonder-Bahamas • May 2009 - WDW: Coronado Springs • September 2009 - DLR: Inaugural D23 Expo • May 2010 - WDW: Port Orleans French Quarter • August 2010 - WDW: POP Century • November 2010 - D23: Fantasia Boston Event • March 2011 - WDW: Day Trip • May 2011 - WDW: Wilderness Lodge CL • November 2011 - WDW: Grand Floridian for our Disney Fairy Tale Wedding • May 2012 - D23: Boston FANniversary Event & WDW: Caribbean Beach • September 2012 - DVC: Vero Beach • October 2012 - D23: Wreck-It Ralph Boston Event • February 2013 - WDW : Art of Animation • May 2014 - DVC: Hilton Head Island!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
tric8783
DIS Veteran

I'm here too!! I like that Jackie called you baby girl. I might want to do it too I didn't realize kory worked for Disney too? This makes me even more jealous of your Disney-closeness .

Old 06-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
belle2211
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLuvLuv View Post
I'm here! Can't wait to read about it!!
Yay! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlocmac View Post
I'm glad you started so soon!! Can't wait to read all about it!!
I figured I needed to start now since I leave for 3 weeks on Monday and then it'd never get done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizFan101 View Post
Can't wait to read the rest of the Trip Report.
Your Furbaby is sooo adorable.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleinad16 View Post
Hooray! I can't wait to read this TR! You two are so amazing!
(ps. Are we also goin to get a report about Tokyo Disney and Hong Kong Disney?!)
Yay! And I'm definitely going to try to do a TR for both of those if I remember! I really need to take a journal with me and write everything down. Someone wanna message me on FB on Sunday night and remind me??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tric8783 View Post
I'm here too!! I like that Jackie called you baby girl. I might want to do it too I didn't realize kory worked for Disney too? This makes me even more jealous of your Disney-closeness .

I love that nickname too..and feel free to do it too! Yup! Kory works for Disney too! Thank goodness! That way if I decide to drop my seasonal status since it's a pain, I can still get in with him!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
belle2211
DIS Veteran

Anniversary shoot day!

It all started on Sunday, June 10. Our actual anniversary is on the 11th, but we had special things planned for then, so I figured doing an anniversary shoot on the 10th would be just as well.

I set it up a while before hand...it gave me something to look forward to since I had post wedding blues (and still do---now what do I look forward to??) Anyways, we set up our shoot with the AMAZING Regina Hyman Photography. She did our engagement pics, our wedding pic, and our MK Bridal Shoot pics. Her pictures are absolutely gorgeous and she is so much fun to be around! If anyone ever needs any pictures taken while you're down here, book her!

I also set it up so Beaute Speciale would come to my house to do my hair and makeup. I requested Jackie, who had done my hair and makeup for the three photoshoots above. She's also amazing! I wish I looked that good every day! And I love that she comes to my house. Although I do have to say that anniversary weekend started with a major cleaning to the house!!!

Here's a picture I made DH take of me before we left the house so I could post it for the girls.

Anyways. I had been stressing all week about the weather. It was stormy all week, all day, everyday. Usually we just get the afternoon showers. But nope, it had been all day. The forecast predicted a 60% chance of rain. I was freaking out! No rain! But just like on our wedding day, when the forecast was 60% chance of rain, the weather was perfect!

Here, I had to take a picture of the weather to show how relieved I was!

We met up with Regina at the Boardwalk. She had so many great ideas as we wandered around. We went over to the Yacht and Beach Club too. It was so much fun. Here are two sneak peeks that we got.

I love them and can't wait to see more!

Since we were already all dressed up, I decided we needed to go to a nice dinner. We (well, really, I) decided on Flying Fish Cafe. Yum! As we entered the restaurant, we put on our Happy Anniversary Buttons. The hostess saw our buttons and brought over cute little menus.

I knew what I wanted before we even went in. I had eaten at Flying Fish Cafe several years ago, and with their Caesar Salads, they serve this totally yummy baked parmesan crisp thing. I loved it so much that when we got married at Disney last year, I specifically requested it to go along with our salad course and I asked for a whole plate for myself (unfortunately, they took away my plate too soon, and I only got to eat one!). So I knew I was getting that. But when I looked at the menu and saw they had a cheese plate, I was sold. That and a glass of wine and the salad--done! (oh, and I had the waiter bring out a couple extras of the crisps. I think this would be so easy to make but I just don't know how. If anyone does, please share!!)

DH got the Surf and Surf entree. It was some kind of fish with crabcake/potato mixture. I normally like crab cakes but the mixture of the crab and the potato in the same cake was not so good to me. My cheese and salad and crisp was way better

For dessert, I am a banana addict. So when I saw they had the Banana Napoleon, I had to get it. It was pretty good. Not sure I would order it again, but it was still good.

The waiter was also really sweet. He brought us out a special anniversary dessert of Peanut Butter Creme Brulee. I am also a Creme Brulee addict. I love it! But this just kind of tasted like peanut butter pie. It was too much for us. But it was still a sweet gesture (oh, and they have this little squeezy thing that has chocolate syrup in it and you pour it where you want on the dessert...it towards the top of the picture. I had so much fun with that!)

Our waiter was really nice. We didn't tell him that we were cast members until the very end because unfortunately, most of the time if you tell waiters/waitresses at Disney that you are cast members early on in the meal, the service goes downhill quite quickly. He told us that we should have told him earlier on because he likes to treat CMs special and brings out special things in between courses. Darn!

Oh yeah, right after our appetizers were served, it started to POUR! The lightening was CRAZY! We had finished our shoot just in time. It was still raining when we got done with dinner. We debated getting a drink at one of the lounges but decided to just get home to our furbaby. DH ran for the car and we drove home. I was excited for the next day to come so we could check into the Grand Floridian!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
MelMel11
Mouseketeer

Count me in!!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Okay, I love Bella's outfit! Chomp Chomp!

Your anniversary shoot sneak peaks turned out amazing! I cannot wait to see the final product! I love love love the color coordination- couldn't have been any better!

All of the food from FF looks delicious!! MMM.. Creme Brulee!!

Hmm.. why do the CMs get treated worse? Because the waiters don't feel like they have to "be on"? Very interesting! Regardless, I'm glad you had a great experience!

Can't wait to hear about GF!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
DisFan89
Earning My Ears

Oh my goodness! I am so jealous of your wedding. I'm sure it was just amazing
Old 06-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #13
belle2211
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMel11 View Post
Count me in!!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck View Post
Okay, I love Bella's outfit! Chomp Chomp!

Your anniversary shoot sneak peaks turned out amazing! I cannot wait to see the final product! I love love love the color coordination- couldn't have been any better!

All of the food from FF looks delicious!! MMM.. Creme Brulee!!

Hmm.. why do the CMs get treated worse? Because the waiters don't feel like they have to "be on"? Very interesting! Regardless, I'm glad you had a great experience!

Can't wait to hear about GF!
Go Gators! And thank you! When I picked the colors, I didn't even think about them matching. I was just on a turquoise/teal kick! The food was really good! And I'm not sure why the wait staff seem to treat CMs worse, but my guess would be because when we get the discount, they automatically add in an 18% gratuity. So if they know the gratuity will already be added in, then why try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisFan89 View Post
Oh my goodness! I am so jealous of your wedding. I'm sure it was just amazing
Thank you so much!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #14
disney212
DIS Veteran

Count me in!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
belle2211
DIS Veteran

Day 2, June 11

Today was our actual anniversary! I couldn't believe that a year had already passed. It FLEW by! I had to work for half of a day. I teach Kindergarten and we had one more day of post-planning on the Monday. Luckily, our principal let us go at noon (and one of the deans let me go even earlier around 11:15).

I rushed home to finish packing up. We decided to exchange presents. The first year traditional gift is paper and the modern gift is a clock. I went with both. For paper, I got DH 4 tickets to see Journey in Tampa later this year. (DH is obsessed with Journey. In the 6 years we've been together, this will be the 8th time we've seen them.)

For modern, I got him a clock with a picture frame and our names and wedding date engraved on it

He got me a Light up Disney shadowbox thingy that has Cinderella's carriage in it (since that was the theme of our wedding)

And a sketch of Belle (for the paper gift) since she's my fav princess

My parents gave us the miniature of the Wedding Pavillion

And DH's grandma gave us some money so I got this cute picture. The artist was there when I bought it, so he wrote our names and wedding date at the bottom.

Then I finished packing up Bella. Sounds pitiful, but I'm not used to being away from her. Especially with other people watching her. And she's not used to being around other dogs. She's litter box trained so she doesn't go outside. One of our friends with 2 other small dogs was going to be watching her for the night. I was nervous of how she was going to be with them. We dropped her off and DH had to pull me out the door. I'm going to be horrible when I have babies and have to leave them! My friend sent me a picture later in the evening to show that she was fine

Anyways, then we headed to Epcot. I had a second dress that I was debating about wearing for the photoshoot that I was going to wear to Epcot, but I decided to wear the tank top I had made instead. I was hoping to buy a tank top already made off Etsy like I did for the wedding, but I could only find transfers. I am HORRIBLE at that kind of stuff so I made DH iron it on. It turned out pretty well. The first "e" in "ever" got a little messed up, but I still thought it was cute.

The whole point of us going to Epcot was to go to Tutto Gusto. I had been wanting to try their wine and cheese plate and knew that DH couldn't say no since it was our anniversary!

But first we had to stop and get more anniversary pins. The girl at guest relations asked how long we had married and we told her 1 year, but she drew this weird one and then a mickey head so it kinda looked like a 10. Oh well! Then we had to stop and take a picture with the ball in the background.

Then we headed to Tutto Gusto. We really liked the atmosphere. It was kinda like a wine cellar. Very dark.

And they had a full bar too, which was kind of neat. But I was there for wine! Although I didn't realize there would be one problem. I only drink , Moscato, Asti and mostly Riesling. Which is a German wine, not Italian! Oops! There's usually at one Riesling on almost every menu. Not there. But not to worry. They did have a Moscato and a half bottle of Asti. I got the Moscato. It was served as a dessert wine though so it was just a little bit. Sooo good though! I also had to get the cheese plate! There were several to choose from, but I asked that the chef pick the three for me. I ended up with Parmigiano Reggiano, Robiola, and I think the third one was Fontina. They were served with Foccacia bread. They were soo good. I think my favorite was the Parmigiano Reggiano though for the texture.

DH was hungry so he ordered the Proscciutto de Parma panini which came with a side Caesar salad. Um, yeah, they were tiny! He said it was good, but it wasn't nearly enough to fill him up.

Since DH was still hungry, we headed to Germany so he could get a sausage. I had to try the wine flight. I never knew it was there before I read a Disney Food Blog post about it recently. How had I never known this was there??? I've been drinking around the world too many times to count! Oh and look at this sign. I took it off the Disney Food Blog page, but it was the same when we were there.

One of the names is wrong! One of the Rieslings is called Two Princes (not two princess!) We had to point that out to the cast member. He didn't seem too concerned. Oh well!. I got that one (which was too dry for me), the Gunderloch "Diva" Spatlese Riesling (with the name, how could I not? Plus it was the only other Riesling. It was definitely my fav of the three), and then I asked for the sweetest one and was told to try the Gunderloch Beerenauslese (this was sweet and my second fav).

We also stopped in the caramel store in Germany, Karamell-Kuche, to get the fresh caramel popcorn. They used to have this in Sleepy Hollow in the Magic Kindgom awhile back and it was like crack to me! I was so sad when they stopped having it. And I didn't know until recently reading a blog post on Disney Food Blog that this store carried it. (Again, do I NOT pay attention while walking around Epcot?? How many times have I been by this store?? Geesh!)

We decided that we were hot and there was nothing really else we wanted to do, so we decided to head over to the Grand Floridian to check in.

Last edited by belle2211; 06-21-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: