Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
DizFan101
DIS Veteran

Depersonalization

Anyway,
I know I don't have a diagnosis from a DR per say, but I found out by myself what I have been suffering from for over a year now...

Depersonalization.
It started in March 2011 when I saw a trailer for Skyline where I got really scared that aliens were real...oy. Then my speech got worse like I don't know how to form words or have any control over what I say. I also feel like I'm in a dreamlike state.

Nothing seems real etc.

I am hoping that if someone here on Disboards also is going through Depersonalization, that they could tell me how they are coping. If you are not wanting to tell the whole forum world about it, you can drop me a pm through here or email @ dizneygirl2010@gmail.com....
Old 05-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
quasar4legs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizFan101 View Post
Anyway,
I know I don't have a diagnosis from a DR per say, but I found out by myself what I have been suffering from for over a year now...

Depersonalization.
It started in March 2011 when I saw a trailer for Skyline where I got really scared that aliens were real...oy. Then my speech got worse like I don't know how to form words or have any control over what I say. I also feel like I'm in a dreamlike state.

Nothing seems real etc.

I am hoping that if someone here on Disboards also is going through Depersonalization, that they could tell me how they are coping. If you are not wanting to tell the whole forum world about it, you can drop me a pm through here or email @ dizneygirl2010@gmail.com....

I don't have any personal experience of this disorder but wanted to let you know that I think of you often and really hope that things improve for you in the near future

It would be worth talking to your doctor about your idea so that they can help you get a diagnosis and treatment, it must be very difficult for you on a daily basis.

Take care and please reach out to a medical professional that will be able to help you going forward.

Sending you hugs

Quasar
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
DizFan101
DIS Veteran

it is very hard. I am mostly angry all day which sucks.
The relationship with my parents changed. It feels like they are strangers to me.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
quasar4legs
DIS Veteran

It must be very draining for you on a daily basis, I do hope your doctor is able to get you the help you need
Old 06-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Wailea
Mouseketeer

I've been suffering from depersonalization for as long as I can remember. I had no known triggers. I guess it's easier for me to cope since I don't know how it feels to be "normal". I've learned to live with it since I don't know any different, although I feel that something is very "off".

It can be very frustrating at times. For example, I came back from a 2nd DCL cruise last month. I had a good time, but it was like it was not real and not really happening to me, like I was watching a movie and I was just a spectator in the audience, not participating whatsoever (even though I was very active on this vacation).

Some days are good, some days are bad. Feel free to PM me if you would like some details about my symptoms. I don't know how far your depersonalization goes, but it can be quite debilitating at times.

I was told by a therapist that it is usually a way to psychologically protect ourselves from something that happened to us. We put a distance between us and reality to avoid facing the issue. I had no issues as a little girl so this does not really apply to me, but it might make sense in your case.

I talked about it to my GP a long time ago but he did not seem to care too much. Maybe yours would be more more receptive? I did try a form of antidepressant but it made the issue much worse.
Although it never worked for me (and I've tried!), I know that therapy has worked for many. There is also a workbook that seems to be useful (do a search for depersonalization on Amazon). Can you see a Mental Health Counselor or a Psychologist in your area?

DCL: Magic Western (10/10), Fantasy Western (05/12)
Wailea is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: