Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #691
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

So glad it has all worked out! What a relief, I am sure!!!

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #692
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I'm glad your plans are finally solidifying! I hate all the up in the air business and I just have to worry about myself.

Jill in CO
Up in the air is NO fun!!! I was feeling the same way about my fall girls trip and feel much better since I booked my flights this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misskitty3 View Post
This is the best PRE-trip report ever!
Aww, thanks! It can be entertaining around here if nothing else.

Quote:
So glad you can all pretty much stick to your original plan! I can't wait to read your actual trip report!
I can't wait to actually go! I counted this morning...6 more Sundays after today.

Quote:
P.S. I love how you are going to surprise the kids too! What a fun thing to do!
I love surprises! We did a complete surprise trip once, it was awesome! The kids prefer to be told but I have to have at least something that's a surprise as part of it. I really hope we can keep it a surprise until that day, that will be so cool! I have all kinds of ideas on how to play it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Well Yippee!! I'm glad things are finalized for your family! It sounds like a great trip - the kids' surprises are great!
I love surprises! I am feeling the need to figure out something Eric specific but don't have an idea yet as to what that might be. Kendall gets the Backstage Safari, Evan Planet Hollywood and they all get AKV, AK, Day at Sheraton Nassau (unless we pull off Atlantis) and the Turtle Walk. He does want to do snorkel "school" at Vero so maybe that will be his thing although it really wouldn't be a surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Plus, you can tell me all about the 1BR at OKW! We've got one for 2 nights in October!
I'm really looking forward to it. OWK was high on my list of possible home resorts due tot he point value and the overall theme and it may still be from an add on perspective so I'm happy we will be in the 1B to get a good feel, versus the studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Well luck was on your side when Kendall's team did not get into the tournament. I'm actually shocked, but I guess if they only take 36 teams what can you do.
Yeah, they moved up to 82 nationally but the reality is 50% of the top 25 teams in the country are all from CA! As far as I know right now one team each made it in from WA and OR, and that might be our full allotment for the NW. And last year for whatever reason the 2nd bracket was smaller so it was only 24 teams total so who knows. I will be looking to see who did get in that's for sure, out of curiosity if nothing else. lol. Seriously though, it's a pretty heavy CA tournament, the reality being that they "know" those teams better and at this level the competition for exposure to the D1 coaches is pretty intense and those that play the game (no thanks!) "get". Bummer about the one they are going to instead is it just doesn't draw the same schools...looking at who was there last year not overwhelmed, not one is really on her radar at all regardless of division level. Of course she has to get that ankle better first anyway!

Quote:
Works out well for you and your plans look fabulous. Again - you have a wonderfully long trip and the upgrade to an AP sound like a great plan. I know the kids are going to be surprised with the visit to AK.
Thank heavens it is long...4 resort changes over the course of it. Although funnily enough it really doesn't seem nearly as bad when you throw in cruise and Vero into it as those require driving anyway to make the transition.

Quote:
Isn't it fun to be using your DVC for so many cool options?

Thanks for updating. Now I am all up to speed!
Funny huh, our first trip out of the gate and we will be doing DVCx3!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #693
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
WOW the best possible outcome it seems.
Well I doubt the team/coach thinks so but K seems ok with it and that's all that matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
PLans look great and everything fell into place. You are going to have a great time.
6 more Sundays! plus a couple of weekdays but still....6 more Sundays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Happy Birthday to Evan!!! Hope he had a great day!
He did although he's nagging for FB access and I'm....stalling.

Quote:
Yeay for everyone being able to come on all days of the vacation, and a double yeay for having it all figured out now! What a relief that must be!
Huge relief. I get paranoid as we approach 45 day marks, 30 day marks for cancellation and change reasons so am relieved. I do however still need to cancel Jeff's original flight, that's the only thing I haven't done yet. Waiting on it is probably best though as I think the credit he will get, less the change fee, starts the day I cancel and is good for a year so no rush. As long as I don't forget to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
Your trip just sounds so exciting and fun, and Like I said before and before, FAMILIAR!!!!! LOL!!!! So great. AKL is a great place to just BE. Have you all stayed there before? I cannot remember??
Nope, have never stayed. Our entire exposure to AKL has been through dining. Boma in 2010 and Sanaa in 2011, Jiko in 2011 on my girls trip. Not much walking around but a little...have seen the lobby, the gift shop and the Jambo Pool.

Quote:
I will tell you we were SHOCKED about the size of the OKW villas, just really really BIG! AND Vero is very similar in layout. you are going to like your time there I am quite certain! They do smores and such out past the villa buildings, so check that out! We did the brunch, it was quite good!
It will probably be a rude adjustment for me the next trip we have a 1b as this trip is OKW, Vero and then a 2B at AKV kidani. We will be spoiled with space and it will seem really small anywhere else I imagine. Smores are always a hit, need to check that out. I really hope at all the resorts to truly take advantage of the activities, that's not something we've been good at in the past, despite good intentions.

Quote:
SO too are the kid activities, Archery was a big deal with our boys... they bar up on the 2nd floor of the main building, I can't recall the name, has a great menu of margaritas! A great place to perch and enjoy the view if you want to step away from the hustle bustle at the pool... Kids are fine without you, so take advantage of it!
Archery will definitely be a hit, they have no idea!

Quote:
I want to go back to Vero again, too, I think Matt like that part of the trip most, and we will probably do a Cruise, Vero trip with Universal next summer... We are tossing around Christmas 2013 too, since we can't go this Christmas, but these are just my hopeful plans!!!

Glad things are finally "set"!!!
Hopeful plans are what keeps us going, aren't they! I'm really looking forward to beach time, it will have been 18 months...far too long for me!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #694
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Plans sound soo much less confusing and really great !!!!
Thanks Rosie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Glad you were able to finalize your plans!
Thanks Jennifer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
I think I am looking at a later time frame than you: after Easter, so second half of April, beginning of May. I have a big "project" coming up at work which will keep me busy from September onwards (at the moment it is scheduled until January, but will most likely extend) and I need something to look forward to afterwards!!
Our break is actually late, 4/22 ish but we don't quite go into May. That sounds like a big project if it lasts that long!

Quote:
I am looking at a 5-night Western (Grand Caymen and Cozumel - no Castaway Cay) or a 7-night Eastern (San Juan and St Thomas - with Castaway Cay). I am really not to bothered about which ports I see, I have looked up all of them and I am sure that I would enjoy them all. I kind of like the idea of travelling to Mexico so I can add another country to the list of countries I have visited (only up to 24 so far ). I would love to see Castaway Cay, but it is not a determining factor for me, especially since I am a bit afraid about how crowded it is going to be with one of the big ships docking there...
I am looking at different ones, Magic 5 day that includes Key West and Fantasy 7 day that includes Puerto Rico. All a long shot though!

Quote:
I love the design of the new ships and being a Disney fan I kind of want to experience all the new stuff. But I think I like the smaller size of the older ships better. I don't mind using stairs and on the smaller ships I can see myself doing that regularly, but walking up 10 floors - no way!! And then the 5 night is about half the price of the 7 night cruise, so that's a huge difference!!
I am worried about the size, the Wonder felt just right so we will see what we think of the bigger ship and shorter trip. I agree about the price, it can be a huge difference. Crazy really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
So glad it has all worked out! What a relief, I am sure!!!
Huge relief, I feel like I can finally start making some plans and begin shopping!

How was your trip??????
Old 06-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #695
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad everything is coming together. Nothing makes me crazier than having things up in the air. I tend to do like you did and have a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C and several different combinations. It drives me crazy trying to work with all of the possibilities. Your final draft looks great!
DisMomAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:50 AM   #696
natebenma
DIS Veteran

How convenient. I'm all caught up and everything has fallen into place!

Your plans sound absolutely fantastic. I love all of your surprises! I can't believe the kids don't know where they are going after the cruise. Too funny!

I am at how you were able to handle all of the complications life possibly and did throw at you.

Your To Do list for the trip did not seem too overwhelming- a couple of cancelations and shopping- now what?

And last but not least, Happy Birthday Evan- another one in the teens for you!
natebenma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #697
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
I'm so glad everything is coming together. Nothing makes me crazier than having things up in the air. I tend to do like you did and have a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C and several different combinations. It drives me crazy trying to work with all of the possibilities. Your final draft looks great!
I probably had plan D and E as well.

Very happy it's all resolved and I can move onto the packing type things as well as shopping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
How convenient. I'm all caught up and everything has fallen into place!
Just for you Dee! it can pay to be behind. And you were on your own trip! Which I'm behind on.

Quote:
Your plans sound absolutely fantastic. I love all of your surprises! I can't believe the kids don't know where they are going after the cruise. Too funny!
It is funny although I can see where they wouldn't even think to ask for flight info or details, they know it's a red eye going down, the evening direct back. Wouldn't occur to them to assume it's any other day than the day we get off the ship.

Quote:
I am at how you were able to handle all of the complications life possibly and did throw at you.

Your To Do list for the trip did not seem too overwhelming- a couple of cancelations and shopping- now what?

And last but not least, Happy Birthday Evan- another one in the teens for you!
UGH on the teens! He's killing me. As usual.

Now just getting organized really, good that there really isn't that much as honestly life is nuts these days!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #698
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Distractions!

I don’t know about you folks but the end of the school year is always NUTS around here! A belated update of sorts what we are up to, both non trip and trip related.

It does give me the opportunity for a few updated pictures though.

While the long hair was cute, he got fed up with it mid spring, too hot at baseball.

Eric. Who deliberately did NOT want to dress up for the end of the year class picture, he wanted to look like “he looks everyday…otherwise it doesn’t look real”. Oh this looks real, complete with the bad hair. Doesn’t matter where I get it cut, it will still look like this, or worse, when left on his own no matter what I do. While I don’t care for this picture at all, Eric likes it rather a lot. Go figure.

Evan in all his spring activities. Some possibly exciting news for Evan. He is currently in the 7th grade Concert Band and Jazz Band 1. He was truly on the verge of quitting at the end of 6th grade when he participated in the district all bands concert and was so inspired by the middle school teacher and their Wind Ensemble, to keep going, get serious about lessons and really embrace things. And he has. That kid has more commitment to his trombone than anything else in his life. He has improved so dramatically it’s rather mind boggling. At the end of 6th grade, he didn’t know his positions and now…wow. So they way their band works is that there is regular Concert band (7th) Symphonic Band (8th and really good 7th graders that are recommended by the Elementary school teachers) and then Wind Ensemble. Kids who make Symphonic as a 7th grader automatically get in. The rest is filled by trying out. The kids do not find out who made it until they get their fall schedule in the mail. Tryouts were Friday.
Currently there are 3 trombones in Symphonic who will move up. The band teacher has never had more than 4 trombones in WE. Which means one spot open. Evan and his good friend have been practicing like crazy for this (both trombones) and want it SO badly. At the end of his tryout the teacher said “You played that at a Wind Ensemble Level” He doesn’t know how his good friend did but he does know the other kind of main competitor was told he’d be a great leader for Symphonic. So…encouraging. What’s all the fuss? Take a listen to these guys! Don’t watch, just listen (camera is sideways lol!). As some of you know, Jeff is a huge sci fi buff and into pretty much anything space related so I had to record this one!

Seriously, at the 6th grade concert last year they made me cry. An 8th grade band playing like this. A few weak spots but overall, not too shabby. Ok granted, I’m a band geek but I love it! This is from just last week. Ignore the video, not much to see…just listen and enjoy. I’d have preferred to post an MP3 link but really aren’t sure how to best convert this for that format and then upload in a way you can listen.

I don’t have any actual birthday photo’s, lame I know! It was fun though. He has needed a new bike for a while, the old one being too small. Problem is that he’s at an odd size. Too big for kids, too small for most adults. Or at least most adults that are readily available without spending an arm and a leg. Used, in his size…almost impossible to find for a decent bike and ordering online…made me nervous. Fortitously, a co workers son, outgrew his. Which was a PERFECT size for Evan, far better (and smaller) than what I was looking at but should last him quite a while. Good bike, well taken care of and the price was right.

So I did a scavenger hunt. 13 clues for him to find the bike (or actually a picture of it). He whizzed through it until the last clue.

What is flat, yet round?

Oh my goodness, I never realized how many things are! What I was going for was a tire on his OLD bike. Which is where I’d tucked a picture of the new one.

He looked at
• Eric’s basketball
• Plates
• Frisbees
• And so many other things I can’t even recall.

As 13 year olds are a bit wont to do though, he was less than thrilled initially. He was really hoping for an ipod touch. My position on that is 1. He doesn’t need it. 2. I’m not buying it. 3. He makes enough with grade money and babysitting, xmas and bdays that if he REALLY wanted it, he could have had it by now. He’s chosen to buy other things. He was very bummed that this wasn’t the gift. I told him I figured he’d rather be able to get around all summer than play games on a toy but I’d be happy to give him nothing. No…he WAS happy, did want the bike but was just bummed.

By Monday he had changed his tune (bday was Thurs). I started getting texts. Do you have the bike? Can you send me more pictures? How many gears?

Tuesday. Do you have the bike?

Wednesday. Do you have the bike? Why yes, yes I did.

He opens the back of my car.

“WHOA…it’s a big boy bike”

I kid you not, I rolled! I’m not sure what he was expecting but it blew him away. He comes up later, after he’d washed it and ridden around the street a bit.

“I was foolish to think an ipod touch would have been better. Thank you thyank you thank you! It’s SO much better than the pictures and than I expected."

I do need some updated Kendall and Taylor pictures, maybe today at Fathers day lunch! As you can see though, with the exception of the trombone pics…I haven’t been taking any pictures lately lol. They are doing well though, K got her braces off on Friday and Taylor is officially out of school for the summer, trying to figure out a job via the bus and then taking off to London later this summer. Rough life huh!

Overall, we’ve been busy! So I am sorry for all of the threads I am woefully behind on. End of year sports (baseball and track), concerts (Eric band, Evan Jazz Band and Concert Band, Kendall Choir , parties, field trips (Eric, 3 in the last 2 weeks!) and lots of scout activity (Camproree, Lava Tube hike, Conservation Proejcts, Court of Honor etc) for Eric. I’m trying to juggle all of that with full time work and a host of health issues all around. It seems like I’m juggling way too many doctor appointments for myself but am hoping that I’m seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. This may be TMI for some of you and if so, I’m sorry but it’s eating up so much of my time it’s got me behind on the DIS! LOL. Feel free to skip ahead to the shopping update if you prefer.

Personally I find it annoying. I am generally a very healthy person but ugh. It’s like a bunch of stupid stuff that won’t resolve. I am still doing PT, not seeing the improvement with my neck I’d like but am committed to seeing it through. Then again, about 2 weeks ago I spent the entire weekend laying a stone patio and transplanting trees so I did do some of this to myself. In all fairness, the neck was flaring up before I did that. But it didn’t help. My initial insurance approval came up and they made me go see a doctor before I could continue. Which was good I guess, forced me to find a new primary care physician. Who I really really like! She actually suggested acupuncture, which I am giving a whirl. I think it is maybe helping a little but really can’t tell for sure. PT wants me to go back to chiro, but a different one. Arrgh. I’ve also been dealing with some skin issues, which gave me a small scare. I have a history of excema and it’s been flaring up on my forehead (attractive huh!) and not really resolving how we’d like. As they don’t really want me on steroid cream forever they proposed either a patch test, or a biopsy. Given that it’s my forehead, I opted for the latter!

It appears I’m allergic to Neosporin, thimerisol, rubber and all sorts of related things. Which explains the location of the flare up… gardening gloves brushing my forehead and then severely aggravated by Neosporin when the cotrizone didn’t seem to be helping and then again for unrelated blisters. I actually though coloring my hair (gloves) might be contributing but after checking the ones I have are vinyl so supposedly ok. Glad to know and even more glad they didn’t have to gouge my face to figure it out although the Neosporin aspect is a bit of a pita and requires me tossing a bunch of stuff and purchasing alternatives which of course I haven’t done yet. Thanks to my new primary, I actually had a physical and some very belated lab work, while I don’t have those results yet I’m not concerned as thanks to my PT and exercise/diet focus I can’t imagine it not being good! I also did my dreaded annual appointment which as always, was scary. As some of you know, and can relate to, I typically get called back for an ultrasound on my mammograms. While I know it’s normal for me, it doesn’t make it any less scary. This year I tried to avoid that I knew I had a cyst. They’ve asked me before if I could feel them and I’ve never been able to. This time, I could. Pathetically…my guess is the reason I can feel them now and not before is…weight loss. I just noticed it over the weekend and it was more than a little freaky. The cysts started showing up about 4 years ago and I haven’t been at this weight in…about 5. Go figure. But, my maternal aunt had breast cancer, grandma leukemia and while I know those aren’t really markers for me, the paranoia is always there. I’ve moved my appointments to a place that can order the U/S at the same appointment so I could try to avoid multiple visits…and copays. The hugely frustrating part is that insurance covers the first one U/S but have historically looked at the U/S as “elective”. Thankfully I’d already had my annual physical scheduled so after I noticed the cyst, I made that appointment for the following day. My primary changed the order so I could skip the regular mammogram and go straight to a diagnostic one and U/S. Not sure if that means insurance will cover more yet but it did mean one less copay, one less visit, one less actual test and saved weeks of stressful waiting for results. Oh well. Of course, they couldn’t find the order and that delayed things…almost made me go ahead with a regular until I explained what was going on. Bless their heart, they got on the phone and got the order faxed over stat. 1.75 hours later…. The good news is that well… thinks are normally cysty and the big one was bigger so I wasn’t hallucinating and the even bigger one that I couldn’t feel…was still there. All normally abnormal so good for another year.
Overall, depsite the neck setback I do feel like my strength is slowly improving and it feels quite good. Looks better too lol! I’ve hit one weight milestone. One more to go but the last 5 is the hardest. I keep telling myself I’m just converting it to muscle and the number doesn’t matter and the reality if the doctors scale actually shows a number I can live with and I’m comfortable in sleeveless tops again (versus the better number on the home scale lol) that’s relatively huge progress.

In other news, I would like some prayers for my dad. He has a history of heart issues and has about 12 stents at present. This has been going on for probably 12 years, maybe longer and all things considered, he’s done really well. He’s currently on vacation visiting my brother in Germany. My parents are GO GO GO type of people, total park commando types and still travel and live like this. They are on a 4 week trip that started in Amsterdam, had a river cruise and then ended at my brothers. The GO GO GO appears to have caught up with my dad and they ended up taking him to get looked at after experiencing chest pains. According to the doctors there, he checked out ok. However according to both my folks…he can’t walk more than 200 feet or up a flight of stairs without experiencing symptoms and having to rest. That is NOT normal in my book. And while they think it’s smaller non-stentable locations that are causing the problem, it doesn’t make me feel any better, and it really doesn’t make me happy that they are waiting to look at anything else until he gets home and sees his own doctor on the 22nd.

It does mean that when they do get home, I’ll be pretty busy. My mom wants to move my dad’s office to the main floor…a logistical nightmare with what is in her craft studio currently there. In actuality they need to sell the house nad move to a one story house but want to wait until after Christmas as my brother and his family plan to visit an mom has her heart set on all of them staying there. I’m going to be working on her to let that go and sell now. Moving an office doesn’t resolve the issue, their bedroom is still upstairs, etc. It also means, and while I know I shouldn’t think about it, I can’t help but wonder what this means for our next trip. The plan has been, as many of you know, for a giant family trip Dec/Jan 2013/14 over New Years. My dad being the primary reason for the trip. The idea of him not being able to do it, or having to have a scooter…I just can’t get past it.

To distract me from all of this…

I’ve been shopping.

For the trip of course!
Shopping in 2 areas.
Goodies for the kids
Goodies for me!

For the kids….I’ve been a pin purchasing maniac lately. I’ve become all paranoid about scrappers, have tried to figure out what to do without paying a fortune and well, haven’t landed on a really good solution. I think I’m taking a middle of the road approach. I’m trying to buy individual pins instead of sets or lots and be thoughtful about it, checking for known scrappers etc but not pay a fortune. Not as easy as it sounds. So far I’m think I’m running somewhere between 50-75% , with ones that have arrived that seem legit, versus ones that are scrappers. If I wasn’t trying to do research and compare though, honestly I wouldn’t have a clue. They all look nice that’s for sure. 4 are relatively obvious I guess…if you do your homework on the actual pin although one is a really good fake. Do I care? Yes and no. In principle…yes. In practice (i.e. returning, listing them on the DIS thread that kind of thing…) less so. Reality is my kids have definitely traded real for scrap and scrap for real. I’m confident of it. I know I’ve bought full lots of scrappers before, not knowing any better. I do try to make sure that they don’t trade their rack pins but other than that they are their pins to do with what they will. So far I only have received 2 orders, one seller definitely legit (but only one pin) and the other has at least 4 scrappers, possibly more (out of 15). I didn’t leave negative feedback as really…given the price I got what I paid for. I did however email them about the 4 obvious scrappers. And so far…no response. Fact of the matter is it would cost as much to ship them as I paid so not worth trying to return. It was a bit of a bummer and I admit, I haven’t checked the next set as closely to see as part of me doesn’t want to know.
I do need to do a shorts and shoe inventory for the E’s. I think they are ok but I’ve been surprised in the past in that area!

For me….I’ve done a lot of looking, more than actual shopping truth be told. I did spend a chunk of time actually making a pack list for myself and going through my closet. While the trip is still 39 days away, we are pretty booked most weekends between now and then and I actually had the time for once and really wanted to do a good inventory before I bought things I really didn’t need. In doing so I found myself in a quandary. All I really like and feel like bringing are shorts and dresses! Part of it is several things no longer fit well (YAY!) but I’m just not loving any of my capri’s nor feeling motivated to buy more. Question is, will I regret it if I don’t bring some? And if I don’t, does that mean I can justify the ridiculous amount of dresses currently on my list? Since we are doing laundry, can I really get by with only 3 pairs of (non dressy) shorts, if I have all those dresses? In looking at it, the only reason I see needing capri’s is….rain and the turtle walk. I could wear my workout ones for the turtle walk though (for bug protection more than anything I think). Arrgh. I recall having this question on our last august trip except that time it was Tshirts. I brought several. I don’t think I wore a single one, living in tank tops or sleeveless tops the whole time. Having the same issue this year but it’s a little easier to be brutal as I know I just didn’t wear them last time. Except I’m not loving most of my tops either. But…does it matter if I bring all those dresses? LOL! How the mind works. Scary I know.

I also did a shoe inventory. Some of you know my shoe issues…or have seen how many I bring first hand. As usual, I am challenged. They may need their own suitcase. I currently have 12 on my packing wish list. Gee, one new pair for each day of the trip. Pathetic I know! But….we’ve got beach days, pool time, turtle walk night, cruise days (includes Palo brunch, Palo dinner and dressy night), park day, resort/DTD and the shoes for all…are fairly different. At least in my mind. Plus I do plan on working out, which adds a pair of shoes. And I need options to switch things around should I get any hot spots or blisters. Yes. I know 12 is obscene. I’ve got to cut it down, obviously I can’t take that many. What can I cut it down to? I can say I have been averaging 7-9 on the last 3 trips (grand gathering, girls flower and garden trip and then the Alaska cruise). This trip is the most complicated though with all the different types of trips within a trip. Hmmn. Where to cut…? I also need to figure out my bag strategy as I have too many options. Will not be getting a new one, that’s all I know. Have to draw the line somewhere!

Purchased so far?
  • One pair of bermuda’s.
  • One coverup
  • 1 new swimsuit top. Had ordered one, didn’t like it, replacement is on the way.
  • 2 new pairs of wedge espadrilles. LOL! They are included in the 13 that make the cut. And besides, I need them for all those dresses! They are on their way. I need them regardless.
  • 1 new pair of heels. Ok, actually I didn’t buy them. Jeff gave them to me just for the heck of it. Some women get flowers and jewelry, I get shoes. They are very very cool but now I’m rethinking my entire pack list.
  • 1 light sweater. Figure it will be perfect on the plane
  • 1 new light workout type jacket. This was a want, not really for the trip and I’m using it as an excuse as really wanted a light, mine are all pretty heavy weight. Chances of wearing it on the trip are probably pretty small but would be nice for heading to the gym on the ship and on the plane ride home.
Planned purchases after my “inventory
  • 1-2 new layering tank tops (boring basic restocks)
  • 1 new sleeveless top. Maybe. If something jumps out at me. Hasn’t happened yet.

I also did start work on our FE gifts and am pretty happy with how they are turning out.
I hope everyone is having a WONDERFUL fathers day. We’ll be off to lunch when Eric gets back from a scout overnighter and then Jeff and I are off to a concert tonight.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #699
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Hey Cynthia,
I've lurked on all of your previous TRs and have been reading along about the plans for your upcoming trip. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am that your dad is having more heart troubles. I know you don't like the idea of him being on a scooter on the big family trip, but we rented a scooter for my MIL on our March trip and it was a godsend. She never would have been able to keep up otherwise, and she was happy to be able to tag along with everything we were doing (especially since it was my 1-year-old nephew's first trip to Disney!). We also chose to rent offsite because the scooters are lighter and faster (and cheaper!) than the ones at the parks.

Also, have you looked at Mousepinsonline.com for pins. They get excellent reviews on the boards and I haven't gotten a single scrapper from them. You might want to check it out if you get sick of the ebay pin dance.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #700
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Hey Cynthia,
I've lurked on all of your previous TRs and have been reading along about the plans for your upcoming trip. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am that your dad is having more heart troubles. I know you don't like the idea of him being on a scooter on the big family trip, but we rented a scooter for my MIL on our March trip and it was a godsend. She never would have been able to keep up otherwise, and she was happy to be able to tag along with everything we were doing (especially since it was my 1-year-old nephew's first trip to Disney!). We also chose to rent offsite because the scooters are lighter and faster (and cheaper!) than the ones at the parks.
I don't have worries about the scooter per-se. We did one for my mom back in 2004 and it was a godsend, she's have been miserable (and would have we) without it. My dad on the other hand is so go go go never complain that the idea of him slowing down is just so hard to picture and really scary. I also worry that waiting till 12/13 is too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Also, have you looked at Mousepinsonline.com for pins. They get excellent reviews on the boards and I haven't gotten a single scrapper from them. You might want to check it out if you get sick of the ebay pin dance.
Thanks! I did see them as orange so didn't look at them but really I think with most unless you pay full price for something on a card, you do take a chance. It was fun to not do grab bags and be a little specific but I'm pinned out at the moment. 2 more on their way and then I am done!
Old 06-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #701
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am another person who went instinctively for the "like" button.
I just tried to "like" your post about your "like" button! I think the DIS should make one of those!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #702
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Lots of prayers for your dad, Cynthia. Hope things get better for him soon.

I, too, rolled when Eric exclaimed, "It's a big boy bike!" Love it, and I am glad he got over his snit over the ipod touch.
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #703
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Hi Cynthia, I'm all caught up now.

I'm glad your busy Spring has also led to getting things setttled about your trip! It's disappointing for Kendall not to be in the tournament, I'm sure - but I'm glad your family trip has worked out!

Congrats to Evan on the band placement!

I hope most of your health issues will be coming to an end soon. I'm glad your cyst was normally abnormal.

I'm sorry your dad is having heart problems as well. I will be praying for him.

Sounds like you are pretty much ready except for the packing, which you'll need to start soon, like all good DISers! I always took alot of shoes, too. Now with trying to cut down on baggage - mostly out of principle - I have learned to double up my shoe choices. I also have opted for some "blinged up" flat flips and sandals that don't take much room in the suitcase, but I'm sure I'm not always as
"stylin'" as I could be, either!

Anyway, glad things are coming together for yah!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #704
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Hi Cynthia! Just checking in... I hope things start to settle down for you soon. The boys finished school on Thursday & after a busy weekend, we have a week to relax a bit. We have some plans but not so much that I can't catch my breath (which is how it had been for the past 3 or 4 weeks).

I hope you start feeling better soon! And I'm glad the cyst was just a cyst and nothing more serious.

Sending pixie dust for your dad!
DisMomAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #705
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Busy Busy - I know only a little bit of how you are right now. I am busy but no where near what you have on your plate.

For Evan's new bike. Glad he finally realized it was what he wanted.

For your Dad. It is hard to see the ones you love slow down.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: