Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: If you had one day at WDW which park(s) would you visit?
Magic Kingdom 18 75.00%
Epcot 9 37.50%
Hollywood Studios 1 4.17%
Animal Kingdom 5 20.83%
Typhoon Lagoon 0 0%
Blizzard Beach 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
speedo
Mouseketeer

One Day at WDW Trip Report

What can you do at Disney in one day?

Well hopefully this will give you some ideas if you only have one day to spend at Disney : )

My sister and I (early 30’s) and our parents planned to go on a Disney cruise for over a year. Well actually first my sister and I planned to go after we had such a great time on the Magic last January and our parents decided to go along with us on the Fantasy.

My mom surprised us by buying 4 one-day park hoppers at a charity auction. Along with the tickets was a junior suite at the Hilton at Downtown Disney. We added a second room though since we are 4 adults and even a junior suite would be too close for comfort for us : )

So we had one day at Disney before our Disney Cruise which embarked on Saturday May 19.

Side note - I do prefer staying on property. But the price was right on this one. And since this was a bonus day at Disney before our cruise I didn’t mind so much.

Also to set the stage for this report – we go to Disney a lot. We are from Florida so my parents have been going since the park opened and my sister and I have been going since we were babies.

So there was no need to cram everything in on this one day at Disney but rather to hit our highlights while seeing new things. That is my one goal for each trip – to see and experience something new (at least to me) each time I go to Disney and I always do!

So on with the trip report….enjoy!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
speedo
Mouseketeer

Morning at Animal Kingdom

I absolutely love this park. The theming is amazing and attention to detail is fantastic.

We like to get to parks at rope drop so it was an early morning for us since we were staying the night before at a Hampton Inn in Davenport FL and the home of the McDonald's my parents would go to when they were students at Florida Southern College. So we can't help but tease them about "their" McDonald's.

We left the Hampton Inn by 7:00 and arrived at the Hilton Downtown Disney Hotel by 7:30 AM. Luckily my dad watched the local news and was able to avoid I-4 since it was closed because of a major accident. He earned MVP for that one! We checked in to the Hilton and they actually had one of our rooms available so we put all 15 pieces of luggage in the room and headed to Animal Kingdom.

They predicted rain so we packed our rain jackets in our day pack which meant that it didn't rain until the evening when we were already back at our hotel.

Anyway, we arrived at Animal Kingdom by 8:00AM and parked in the lot. Hilton has a shuttle but it only runs every 30 minutes and we decided to drive and park instead. My sister asked if we each had our tickets and then handed us our hold Florida Passes from 1992! She had been organizing closets and came across them. My dad's picture with his mustache looked like it should have read " don't let this man in" : )

We were first at the turnstiles and waited till they opened at 8:45. There was no opening celebration which I really missed. When we were through the turnstiles we followed the cast members left toward Africa where we waited at the rope drop. The cast members tried to entertain us with "if you are happy and you know it..." My dad responded by singing "if you want to make us happy - let us in"

Last edited by speedo; 06-13-2012 at 07:39 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
speedo
Mouseketeer

Kilimanjaro Safari

At 9:00 the rope dropped and we were off to Kilimanjaro Safari. The driver was one of the best we have had. Very knowledgeable, but I didn’t catch his name. They are changing the ending poaching story line and will soon create a zebra habitat. Right now they just talk about what their plans are for the area but there is nothing to see yet.

Two Headed Giraffe?

Morning Rush Hour and Traffic Jam

Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
speedo
Mouseketeer

Panjani Trail

We walked through Panjani Trail which has to be one of the best gorilla habitats. It was breakfast time for them

Excellent Posture
Old 06-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
speedo
Mouseketeer

Expedition Everest

9:30 and my mom wanted to see Festival of the Lion King so we split up just before the show. My Dad, Sister and I went to Expedition Everest for fastpasses while my mom went to the show to wait for us. We got fastpasses but then noticed the standby was only 5 minutes. We had just enough time to ride it standby. This was my first time through the standby line and I really enjoyed the displays! Everest was as much fun as ever – though I miss the moving Yeti.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
speedo
Mouseketeer

Festival of the Lion King

We had just a few minutes to get to the Festival of the Lion King and made it just in time. It wasn’t crowded so my mom had no problem saving seats for us. I know you are not supposed to but the theatre was less than half full so it really wasn’t an issue. This show is really fun and I am so glad my mom wanted to go because we all really enjoyed it.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
speedo
Mouseketeer

Yak and Yeti and goodbye

At 11 we headed to Yak and Yeti for our ADR. We have ADR at Le Cellier at 3pm so this was strictly to tie us over for a bit and to see the décor which I have read is really nice to see. We had a fantastic server who steered us well with our choices. We also had a great table on the second floor next to the window.

We realized our fastpasses would expire before we were done so my dad went outside to give them away. I am really not a fan of the new enforcement system and am also not to keen on what we know of the RFID system they are testing.

After a light lunch, we went to Dinoland to play a couple of games. These games are a lot of fun. They are like carnival games without being at a carnival. Actually the entire area of Dinoland is really a fun theme.

It was soon time to head out to EPCOT. We saw this little guy in a small habitat as we were leaving. So cute!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
magicLAL12
Mouseketeer

Kudos & Camera?

speedo:

I'm glad that you chose AK for your morning park- that's the same decision we would have made!

It looks like you had an extremely similar safari to the one that we had on June 4th (I'm not sure when you were there)- the animals were so close! Thats great, and you have some awesome photos- unfortunately my camera ran out of memory during the safari, so I couldn't get some of the great shots that you have, but now I can still relive the memories through yours!

Just a Running Couple that Refuses to Grow Up.
June 2012: College Graduation Celebration; Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village.
January 2013: My First Marathon; 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon; Boardwalk Villas
Next up: January 2014: Hooked..We're Running again; Boardwalk Villas, split-stay

Old 06-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
let'sgo
DIS Veteran

I'm really enjoying reading about all that you are doing in one day and the pictures are great! I hope you are going to tell us what your new experiences are for this trip.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
speedo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicLAL12 View Post
speedo:

I'm glad that you chose AK for your morning park- that's the same decision we would have made!

It looks like you had an extremely similar safari to the one that we had on June 4th (I'm not sure when you were there)- the animals were so close! Thats great, and you have some awesome photos- unfortunately my camera ran out of memory during the safari, so I couldn't get some of the great shots that you have, but now I can still relive the memories through yours!
Thanks for posting! Animal kingdom is just fantastic and I agree it is especially great in the morning. I actually haven't ever stayed at Animal kingdom much past 2 pm - definitely have to do that one of these days!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
speedo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by let'sgo View Post
I'm really enjoying reading about all that you are doing in one day and the pictures are great! I hope you are going to tell us what your new experiences are for this trip.
Great! So glad you are following along.

My new experience at Animal Kingdom this trip was Yak and Yeti restaurant. I really enjoyed it!. The attention to detail is amazing on the inside and the food is very good. I recommend it and do plan to go again.

In addition to Yak and Yeti I saw new animals I have not seen before. Like the last picture I took on the way out. No idea the name of the animal but it was such a surprise to see it hiding under a bush in its habitat right along the path.

One thing that is still on my list for Animal Kingdom is the afternoon parade. All these times I've gone to Animal Kingdom I've never stayed that late so it is still on my list to do.

I'll have more new to me experiences for you in the afternoon - stay tuned
Old 06-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Camera

I'm Speedo's sister and I actually took these photos - busted

I used a five year old Olympus point and shoot that died on the cruise. But for the safari I set my camera to the setting for action or sports so I can take photos faster. I just click away and hope something is in focus! I take a lot more photos than what I keep!

Sis, you are doing a great job!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #13
speedo
Mouseketeer

Afternoon at Epcot

We drove and parked at EPCOT. Much faster than the shuttles! I had never been to the Flower and Garden Show and was thrilled to catch the last weekend. Definitely one of the best times to go!

We rode Spaceship Earth at my request. There is never a line and I always like it. Even though there is hardly a line there was still a woman who went past us to try to catch up with her family. She didn’t catch up with them and had to ride by herself anyway. It just doesn’t work to hold places in line at rides especially one as fast moving as Spaceship Earth. Best just to wait for everyone before getting in line.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
speedo
Mouseketeer

Love this topiary

Our next stop was Captain EO. This originally debuted in 1986, but none of us remembered seeing it before. My sister does remember teasing my cousin for waiting hours to see something and we all figured it must have been Captain EO. It is a good show and I am glad I saw it but I hope they are working on a new 4-D film to go in that space. I also like Honey I Shrunk the Audience in that space but they need something new. I guess it wouldn't be in partnership with Kodak this time around though - so sad.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #15
speedo
Mouseketeer

Butterfly Garden

We had just a few minutes before our Le Cellier ADR and just enough time for the butterfly garden. It was crowded but still very nice.

A couple shots as we headed to Canada

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: