facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
Amanda--I am sorry about the injuries. I think a lot of people have more trouble switching over to some form of walk breaks mentally than anything else. It's especially frustrating cause so much of the running community still sees it as a fail if you walk. I have had tons of conversations with folks about this. The lightbulb often comes on for some people when they realize I am faster than they are and I take walk breaks. (Not that it matters how fast one is, it is just often an aha moment.)

I did not start off with walk breaks and I think I told the story of my first half where I ran the entire thing without walking a single step. This was before I was diagnosed with gluten issues. Since then my body has basically told me you have to either do something different or stop running. So now I run short distances without breaks, but for longer distances I do run/walk and have finally settled on 2 run 30 sec walk as my favorite interval. I have tried longer, shorter, run a mile walk a minute, run 5 min walk 1 min, etc. This works best for where I am at right now.

Mike actually ran a 1:54 half with walk breaks. And it was a HUGE shift for him. He ran cross country in hs and worked out with the cc team in college. He has no problems with it now, but it took a lot of research on his part to decide it was a good idea.

Mentally it was a big shift for me and I still get very anxious at the start of a race. It is very strange to walk after just a couple minutes of running. BUT when I stick to the intervals I finish strong. I have kept up some pretty decent times even though I have spent a ton on time in physical therapy in the past 7 months. Take some time and think about it. I totally understand your frustration.

I hope you are able to avoid surgery and work something out so that you are feeling better and feeling positive about your effort.
Thank you! It is very mental. Today was a 25 minute C25K run. I decided to do 4:30 run 30 second walk. It almost worked. The first three runs were good, then I didn't look at the time and walked for almost a minute, then I was having trouble getting started jogging again and decided I was going to do 90 seconds jogging 60 seconds walk for the last 9 minutes or so. I ended up walking the last 5 minutes I should have been jogging. But even with the all the walking I ended up going just a bit further than the last two 25 minute runs. I am going to run every other day and try different run/walk ratios until I find one that fits. The 5K I am running is a week and a half away which gives me only 4 run days so having it down before then is not super realistic so I'll just have to wait and see how I do on race day.
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: