Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #16
mikeb1982
Earning My Ears

By the time that we got there it was pretty late - It was a really long travel day (Left Chicago 5 PM after work (Thur) and flew to London to rome and then Train to naples and sorrento was about 8pm Fri (local time - I think about 1pm CST) when we got in. We stayed at the other Disney Hotel (Grand Europa). With the time that we had, it was pretty hard to do much else, although we could have skipped the trip back to Naples in the PM and went to do something else, but I am not sure if you can squeeze that into one day. One thing I was shocked at was the size of Pompeii, it was much bigger than I thought. There were launches in front of the Hotel for Capri, which is probably where we would have gone, but the Amalfi coast is supposed to be wonderful and I am sure your hotel could arrange if you do not find something beforehand, but again I do not think you can get both done in a day - depends how much exploring you do at Pompeii. We probably walked about 3/4 of the site and only went in half of the buildings, and it still took a good 4-5 hours. Hope that helps!
mikeb1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #17
mapsd
Mouseketeer

Pleasant twist in our plans!

After checking the airfares, I'm finding it cheaper to fly RyanAir/EasyJet to London and then fly back to the states from there than straight back from Venice ($400 less per ticket), so we may be extending our trip in London instead & using the ticket savings to pay for our lodging in London.

Last edited by mapsd; 09-09-2011 at 03:42 PM.
mapsd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #18
mikeb1982
Earning My Ears

Be careful with RyanAir - there fares may look low, but they get you in fees. We have done Europe a couple of times - Both times we flew into and out of london with BA. If you have a couple of bags the fees can get pretty high and make the cost comparable to BA. There is no Overhead storage on RyanAir and bag weights are low. But if you are willing to travel light you can get a great deal. We just found that if you have a couple of american size bags, the cost almost evened out.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #19
mapsd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb1982 View Post
Be careful with RyanAir - there fares may look low, but they get you in fees. We have done Europe a couple of times - Both times we flew into and out of london with BA. If you have a couple of bags the fees can get pretty high and make the cost comparable to BA. There is no Overhead storage on RyanAir and bag weights are low. But if you are willing to travel light you can get a great deal. We just found that if you have a couple of american size bags, the cost almost evened out.
Thanks. Is the same true for EasyJet?
Old 09-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #20
mikeb1982
Earning My Ears

Yeah its true for most of the low cost cost airlines - the flights might end up being slightly cheaper, but might not be worth the hassle. Each website has a place for baggage fees and restrictions (size weight, etc). You just have to weigh how you travel with baggage and go from there.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #21
ldo
DIS Veteran

I agree, look carefully at Ryanair (and other LCC) baggage fees. Many times, BA has a similar price. Since you will be on/off bus/train/etc., I HIGHLY recommend limiting luggage to 1 backpack/totebag and 1 carryon rolling suitcase per person. We just got back from a 2 weeks cruise Italy/Greece and it CAN be done. We took our 3 kids last year for 3 weeks, as well. If you watch any Rick Steves shows, etc., the mantra is pack light! I wore black capris/thin shirts with cardigans most days. You can alwasy choose to check your carryon bags for the international portions, but having only carryons is so much easier and hauling luggage to/from bus/hotel/ etc. is much better.
re. kids in Venice--there are a lot of interesting places--I would plan on staying an extra night--you'll be able to find something--then fly to London. My kids (9-14) liked Rome/Ruins and Tuscany area the best--so, you still might consider an extra day or two on your in-bound. Pompeii is pretty awesome--so, if you can get there, I would do it. If you needed to stay in Rome, there are shuttles right to Pompeii--look on viator.com under Rome for the day trip (I have booked day tours thru them numerous times all over Europe). My kids also loved London--so much to do and see.
ldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #22
Aulika
Mouseketeer

In Europe low cost airlines have tons of additional fees including huge luggage fees, fee to pay your ticket by credit card...
They also have very strict carry on size rules
DLRP AP Holder since 2011
Aulika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #23
mapsd
Mouseketeer

Before & After

Last edited by mapsd; 06-13-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
jlou
Mouseketeer

bump

Me , Hubby , DS (16 at time of our trip) , and DD (13 at time of our trip)
jlou is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: