Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
helenk
BL II - Purple Team>
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
Loves Monk, and Peeps,
 
helenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Pottstown, PA, USA
Posts: 8,359

My daughter and I arrived day early in Rome prior to our Viva Italia tour and we visited the Borghese Gallery and the Villa. The gallery was amazing, and I purchased the tickets online prior to our trip. We were able to walk from our hotel, it took maybe a half of an hour but the weather was beautiful and it helped us to get use to our surroundings.
The grounds of the Villa were beautiful, gardens, statues there was even a small zoo in the area as well. There was a huge park nearby and we walked around there. The marble statues at the Gallery were stunning, we could not believe the detail that went into sculpting them.
It made for a relaxing first day, but we got to see alot without going too far, we strolled around for quite a few hours.
__________________

Offsite 6/83,5/87
ASSP 7/95 & 11/08, GF 9/99, YC 11/01, WL 12/02 & 9/09 POR 9/03, POFQ 6/04, 12/04, & 5/06 POLY 6/04 & 12/05, POP 12/04, ASMU 7/05,10/07 & 12/07, AKL 12/06, CBR 5/07, CSR 5/08, SSR 11/08, CR 1/09, DLH 5/09, AKV 6/09, ASSP 10/09, ASSP&AKV 12/09, BCV 9/10, VWL 12/10, AKV 1/11 AKV/DCL 5/11 VWL&AKV 12/11, AKV 5/12,SSR 10/12, OKW 12/12, AKV 5/13, HHI 6/13,VWL 12/13, VCG 5/14, Hollywood Hotel, Hong Kong 5/14, AKV 8/14



helenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
apurplebrat


Turning the whole world purple!
 
apurplebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 481

We are doing this trip for the 1st time in May
A group of us have booked this tour. It looks great!

http://www.eatingitalyfoodtours.com/...romefoodtours/


This guided 4-hour food and cultural city walking tour gives you a taste of Rome that few visitors experience. Rome has some of the best food in the world as long as you know where to find it. We take you to seven non-touristy places to savor nine fabulous food tastings (a hearty meal). Along the way you'll be dazzled with entertaining stories and insights into Rome’s culture, history, and architecture and be guided to many secret attractions. Join us and uncover the Real Rome!
__________________
apurplebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #18
jlou
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenk View Post
My daughter and I arrived day early in Rome prior to our Viva Italia tour and we visited the Borghese Gallery and the Villa. The gallery was amazing, and I purchased the tickets online prior to our trip. We were able to walk from our hotel, it took maybe a half of an hour but the weather was beautiful and it helped us to get use to our surroundings.
The grounds of the Villa were beautiful, gardens, statues there was even a small zoo in the area as well. There was a huge park nearby and we walked around there. The marble statues at the Gallery were stunning, we could not believe the detail that went into sculpting them.
It made for a relaxing first day, but we got to see alot without going too far, we strolled around for quite a few hours.
I personally would love to visit the Borghese Gallery, but that may have to wait til the next trip. I'm intrigued by the Villa d'Este though. It may be a toss up between that and Ostia Antiqua for something to do the day our tour begins. It sounds beautiful, and fits in with my wanting to be outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurplebrat View Post
We are doing this trip for the 1st time in May
A group of us have booked this tour. It looks great!

http://www.eatingitalyfoodtours.com/...romefoodtours/


This guided 4-hour food and cultural city walking tour gives you a taste of Rome that few visitors experience. Rome has some of the best food in the world as long as you know where to find it. We take you to seven non-touristy places to savor nine fabulous food tastings (a hearty meal). Along the way you'll be dazzled with entertaining stories and insights into Rome’s culture, history, and architecture and be guided to many secret attractions. Join us and uncover the Real Rome!
This does look amazing! I will have to look more into this.

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions!
__________________


Me , Hubby , DS (16 at time of our trip) , and DD (13 at time of our trip)
jlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #19
mwebsite
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 121

Free time ideas

We did this trip a few years ago with our thirteen year old daughter (at the time) and came in a day early. After arriving from the airport, we walked to the Borghese Gardens. The next day we took the train from the Termini station south to Nettuno ( a small town on the coast) and spent the day at the beach on the first day of our tour. Since you don't meet until dinner that evening we had plenty of time. We rented chairs and umbrellas at Le Sirene Beach Club, it was very nice. For our extra day in Venice, we took the vaporetto to Lido Beach and spent the day at the Des Bains beach club. Cool to say you were in both the Mediterranean and Adriatic Sea!
mwebsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #20
jlou
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebsite View Post
We did this trip a few years ago with our thirteen year old daughter (at the time) and came in a day early. After arriving from the airport, we walked to the Borghese Gardens. The next day we took the train from the Termini station south to Nettuno ( a small town on the coast) and spent the day at the beach on the first day of our tour. Since you don't meet until dinner that evening we had plenty of time. We rented chairs and umbrellas at Le Sirene Beach Club, it was very nice. For our extra day in Venice, we took the vaporetto to Lido Beach and spent the day at the Des Bains beach club. Cool to say you were in both the Mediterranean and Adriatic Sea!
Thanks for the awesome suggestion. A day on the Mediterranean (or Adriatic) sounds wonderful!
__________________


Me , Hubby , DS (16 at time of our trip) , and DD (13 at time of our trip)
jlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #21
jlou
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAN View Post
Yeah ..in my opinion 7PM is too early -Florence is wonderful at night. Perhaps there is a way to arrange a cab back to the Villa? Either way, if during the day ABD offers the opportunity to climb the Duomo -I would suggest doing that. I have slight asthma and I didn't think it was bad at all -when you reach the top you forget the effort you put into it. The views are amazing and knowing that you are walking inside Brunelleschi's creation was inspiring ...read up on him a little, the back story is fascinating. No matter what you do you will have a wonderful time!
Great advice. This trip is right around the corner. Will have to read up on Brunelleschi. So much to do, but now's the time!
__________________


Me , Hubby , DS (16 at time of our trip) , and DD (13 at time of our trip)
jlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #22
jcb
always emerging from hibernation
 
jcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In view of the Smoky Mountains
Posts: 3,517

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlou View Post
Great advice. This trip is right around the corner. Will have to read up on Brunelleschi. So much to do, but now's the time!
The "Villa" (scare quotes added because you don't really stay at the Villa but at the Villa's servants quarters) is about an hour to an hour and a half bus ride from Florence. The Villa's website says it is a 20 minute drive. I can't imagine how unless, perhaps, you drive like an insane person down a narrow road with hair pin turns.

If you want to extend your time in Florence, and I highly recommend you spend as much time as you can there, you might want to make sure you have a way back.

Frankly, I wish we had booked a night at a hotel in Florence for the last night and met the group at the Florence train station the next morning.

I hope you have a great trip. We've been back for about a week and I'm still daydreaming about all we did, the people we were with, and how much we enjoyed it.
__________________
Jack
jcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #23
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran
 
stenogoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 1,978

The day of the welcome dinner in Rome we did a food tour. I can't say enough how much we enjoyed it. It's well worth it.

http://www.eatingitalyfoodtours.com/
__________________
stenogoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.