Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you most look forward to doing on the Fantasy?
Riding the Aquaduck 79 25.57%
Dining in Palo and/or Remy 92 29.77%
Relaxing in the Rainforest Room 30 9.71%
Solving a Midship Detective Agency crime 21 6.80%
Shopping on shore and/or on ship 10 3.24%
Sailing with Mickey and Minnie 77 24.92%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #151
luvslikepi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reimero View Post
I was fairly disappointed in St. Maarten shopping as well. It was obviously set up for high-pressure, no-research purchasing. That's one thing I did do: I scoped out domestic price ranges for some stuff (MUCH harder to do with jewelry!) and came away fairly disappointed with what they were offering.

Also, the "Disney Recommended" shops are shops that pay Disney to get listed on the maps and mentioned in the onboard shopping sessions. I figure Disney would dump a company that was selling fake goods, but despite what the cruise lines tell you, there is no guarantee you're getting the best deals or best service. You're just buying from somebody who advertises through the cruise line.

I feel the same way about most cruise shopping. I prefer shopping for items that are handmade/known to the island I'm visiting. For instance my mom bought a beautiful hand carved wooden box in Antigua straight from the young lady making them. I loved shopping for spices in Tortola and I'm excited to try the Guaveberry liquor from St. Maarten. For me the travel shopping experience should be about local items - not duty free gems and the like.
luvslikepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #152
reimero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvslikepi View Post
I feel the same way about most cruise shopping. I prefer shopping for items that are handmade/known to the island I'm visiting. For instance my mom bought a beautiful hand carved wooden box in Antigua straight from the young lady making them. I loved shopping for spices in Tortola and I'm excited to try the Guaveberry liquor from St. Maarten. For me the travel shopping experience should be about local items - not duty free gems and the like.
I agree completely. We were actively looking for hats to protect us from the sun, hoping for something with a Caribbean flair, and the only ones we came across were made in China.

(Then again, driving back from Florida to Indiana, we stopped in Georgia to get gas and freshen up a bit, and among all the pecans and peaches and stuff there were small-batch old-fashioned hard candies which LOOK like they're made locally, but we happen to know otherwise: they're a product of our hometown in Indiana! Same basic thing.)
reimero is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #153
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvslikepi View Post
I'm excited to try the Guaveberry liquor from St. Maarten.
Straight, I thought it tasted like cough medicine. But we also had it blended and I think they called it a Guavaberry Colada. I would recommend that - very refreshing. Joyce took us to a woman well out of the way but think the folks by the port probably make that as well.
jegsnakkernorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #154
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31997 View Post
Ladies, you are doing a great job with your report. Making it very difficult not to book a cruise right now

On a side note, I am from Naples, FL originally also My family is still there. I am tickled pink to find someone else form Naples on the DIS Board who like DCL.
Very cool! I'll try to private message you.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #155
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly123 View Post
Thank you so much for ALL of this information. You have been amazing and I feel like you have already made our trip so much more enjoyable due to all of the information I was able to gain. Thank you for this major effort on your part!We already made the decision to go concierge - mainly because my DH is high maintance - but you have really made me trust my decision.
That's awesome! I'm so glad that I could help a perfect stranger(s)! I found it hard to find details on the concierge rooms and experience when I was planning so I knew I wanted to take photos of everything.

I know you and your high maintance man will love it. This trip Sis and I traveled with our high maintance parents and that's why we went concierge and they went with the one bedroom and they were thrilled.

Sis and I liked the Magic too last year (not concierge) but the Fantasy is really something special, especially concierge. You'll be happy you splurged!

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #156
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohagirl73 View Post
Loving this trip report. Setting sail on Fantasy in a little over a month. This is making me even more excited than I already am. Thanks for sharing your report along with your awesome pictures.
No problem! Working on the TR and going through all my photos is helping me relive it. It was a great vacation. You'll have so much fun!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #157
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Breakfast in Royal Court

If you have a little more time one morning, I would recommend checking your Navigator to see when breakfast is served in the Royal Court (you don't need reservations but they only serve during a pretty limited window of time). It isn't buffet but a menu and table service.

I also enjoyed getting to see more of the room than I did at dinner (the center Royal Court table is amazing but you don't get to see the murals with all the diners).

In the center, there was our table.

the wallpaper

the ceiling

the drapes

everything is a combination of the classic princess films - mirrors, slippers, birds, roses, and carriages.

the view

at dinner I didn't even know there were windows!

Breakfast is more than one course, of course. So to start...

a yogurt dish

This is french toast and grilled pineapple with strawberry. Delicious. Mom ordered something else - eggs benedict maybe - but decided she wanted to come back tomorrow with Dad (who is out on a golf excursion right now). She had this the next day.

We had a nice breakfast, just us gals, with the sisters from Buffalo and then headed off to explore St. Thomas for the morning.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #158
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

Really enjoying the trip report. Such great pictures of everything. Glad to know about the drinks to stay away from in the bars before I charge $10 to my stateroom for one!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #159
CindyIsMyFave
DIS Veteran

I am loving all of the restaurant decor! But those touches in the royal court dining room are amazing. At least I think so, since I'm still a little princess obsessed!

Most recent trips:
Dec/Jan 2011-2012 at POFQ (New Year's Eve) - Mar 2011 at WL - Dec/Jan 2009-2010 at CBR (New Year's Eve) - May 2009 at POR for 6th anniversary
60 visits and counting thanks to Mom & Dad taking me at least once a year since age 1. (32 year streak continues thanks to DH now)
CindyIsMyFave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #160
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
Really enjoying the trip report. Such great pictures of everything. Glad to know about the drinks to stay away from in the bars before I charge $10 to my stateroom for one!
Finally, my drinking is helping people!

Thanks for posting!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #161
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyIsMyFave View Post
I am loving all of the restaurant decor! But those touches in the royal court dining room are amazing. At least I think so, since I'm still a little princess obsessed!
I think they did a nice job of balancing the princess, the Pixar, and the classics in the theming of the ship. You'll love all the details they put into this ship.

Royal Court is probably Sis' fav. I am actually going to say Animator's Palate was my favorite. But I enjoyed them all!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #162
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

St. Thomas

So mom, sis and I got off the ship to stretch our legs. The sun had come out over breakfast and it was actually a nice, warm day.

The port seemed pretty safe - check out the security cameras up above.

We found a post office to mail some letters back to the main land (they got to Florida before we did).

But we basically got right back to the ship not too much after getting off. The ship is just too alluring to stay away long! Our Scottish friends found some interesting cocktails at a bar in St. Thomas, but we were Rainforest Room bound!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #163
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Rainforest Room!!!

Plenty of towels in the locker rooms and the Rainforest Room itself.

I know you want to see the Rainforest Room, but first stop, the locker room. In the locker room, which is the same you use for any of the spa treatments or the gym as well as the Rainforest Room, you can find many of the same toiletries a nice country club women's looker room would have.

Elerimis toner, moisturizer and I can't remember what the third bottle is.

There are robes and slippers in the locker room. I found the slippers uncomfortable for me - the plastic strap cut into the top of my feet so I ditched them pretty early on.

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 06-12-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #164
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Sorry, still in the locker room

These are the famous showers in the locker rooms. A lot of people write about using the locker room showers if you find your stateroom shower too small. I will say that I enjoyed using this shower for the Elemis shampoo and conditioner - I liked it better than the shampoo and conditioner you get from Disney (the H2O) and the body wash smelled so nice.

The lockers are there for your use while in the spa, gym or rainforest room. We didn't see anyone else in the locker room in the late morning on St. Thomas day.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #165
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Rainforest Room Hot Tubs!

So I don't actually have photos in the suanas or rainforest room showers, but I did get a few photos on the tour the first day.

Probably the area I liked the most was the hot tub. Check out this view from the hot tubs..

Personally, I found this the perfect way to enjoy St. Thomas!

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 06-12-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: