Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #31
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

We loved the BWI. Although we personally preferred location of other resorts, ie. Poly, GF, CR, we thought BWI was spectaular.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #32
ResortFan
Mouseketeer

Yes! I felt the same way at the Yacht Club too though!
ResortFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #33
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
Also, I think it is odd that I can't get into the lobby from the stores on the boardwalk. You would think they were connected, but obviously not. They aren't really near each other.
You can, you just have to go up the stairs in the courtyard. I think it's good because it keeps out the people who are just wandering around the Boardwalk.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #34
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Quote:
And there is this...

One of two, both were by the fireplace this past week.

Steve Russo has a great review at Mouseplanet.
OMG imagine if someone moved them to be in front of the elevator doors. The Shining is one of my alltime favorite movies, and even I'd run for the hills if I saw those chairs by an elevator!

We were making Shining jokes in the hallways of BCV too. We were even making the big wheel rolling noises as we walked. It took us 2 days until we could get from point A to point B without getting turned around.

I personally think the outside of WL looks like The Shining. I've never stayed there, and don't want to because of that!

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #35
lbv7
Mouseketeer

Quote:
not many views to the outside
Unless I am wrong I cannot think of any hotel in WDW, (or the world), that offers outside views from a hallway.
lbv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #36
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbv7 View Post
Unless I am wrong I cannot think of any hotel in WDW, (or the world), that offers outside views from a hallway.
At animal kingdom lodges you have views of the savannah. That is where i usually stay. The contemporary is wide open.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #37
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just got back from a week staying at the Boardwalk. It is very strange with the long hallways and lack of elevators. I kept going down stairs and ending up in strange places like on Boardwalk when i wanted to go the pool. Or I would end up in the courtyard when I was trying to get to fitness room.

The hallways are really long and look like a 1920's old hotel. It is strange. And reminds me of the movie the Shining. My sister kept saying "Redrum, Redrum" the entire time we were there. Plus that giant clown in the pool area isn't that comforting.

And, have you seen those two creepy chairs in the lobby by the Elephant and the fireplace? They are like the two twin girls in the movie.

I am just having a little fun. We loved our week there. The boardwalk is gorgeous and the pool area is shady and nice. We love this resort. But I did hear other people comment on the similarities to the Shining. Let's just say if Jack Nicholson showed up, I would have to leave!
When I called my husband after checking in to the Boardwalk Inn and getting to my room, I told him the hallways were like the movie the Shining.
I'm glad it wasn't just me!

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #38
luvmyguyz
Mouseketeer

What were they thinking with that clown??? Yikes!!

luvmyguyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #39
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I own DVC at BWV...love it there. And I more often than not, end up at the far end of a hallway....closer to Jellyrolls than to the lobby. But, I have to tell you...have you ever walked the halls at Kidani??? OMG. My friend and I did.....it was exhausting!! Much longer than the halls at BWV. Sure, you get to look outside every so often, but that doesn't make the actual walk any shorter!! I couldn't believe how long those halls were. And they seem to be more convoluted than the halls at BWV.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #40
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyguyz View Post
What were they thinking with that clown??? Yikes!!
Luna Park in Melbourne Australia was kinda similar. It is the same name.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #41
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

If you want a true Shining experience, check this place out.

http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel..._google_summer

We've stayed here before and will be again this summer. This is the hotel where they actually filmed the movie.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #42
Sunstar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweettears View Post
If you want a true Shining experience, check this place out.

http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel..._google_summer

We've stayed here before and will be again this summer. This is the hotel where they actually filmed the movie.
Wow, that is gorgeous! I'm afraid you've got your facts wrong though. The front exterior shots of The Shining were filmed at Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood in Oregon, but all the interiors as well as the back of the hotel were sets specially built at Elstree Studios in London.

The hotel that King was staying at (and was inspired by) is called The Stanley Hotel and is in Colorado.

My husband is the biggest Stephen King fan I know and he knows all sorts of trivia about his books and movies.

Katie and Kellan's Disneymoon PTR Mr. and Mrs. Potts Take a Honeymoon Holiday
Caribbean Beach April 1989 * Off Site WDW/US Aug 1994 * Port Orleans French Quarter/IOA Aug 1996 * Disneyland Paris April 1999 * Coronado Springs/IOA Aug 2000 * Coronado Springs Aug 2006 * Disneyland Resort Feb 2008 * Coronado Springs Aug 2011 - Our Disneymoon! * Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room!) - May 2014

Sunstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #43
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I own DVC at BWV...love it there. And I more often than not, end up at the far end of a hallway....closer to Jellyrolls than to the lobby. But, I have to tell you...have you ever walked the halls at Kidani??? OMG. My friend and I did.....it was exhausting!! Much longer than the halls at BWV. Sure, you get to look outside every so often, but that doesn't make the actual walk any shorter!! I couldn't believe how long those halls were. And they seem to be more convoluted than the halls at BWV.
I stayed at Kidani the week of Memorial Day and we were at the far end by the Pembe Savannah. It has to be a quarter mile walk! I stop along the way and rest and look at the giraffes and the okapi!

I was at the bus stop at Kidani and I saw an older couple park in the Short Term parking by check in and then run over to the bus stop and catch a bus. I was wondering what the heck they were doing. Why would they do that? Later I realized what they did. They were at the far end of Kidani, so they took the elevator down to their car and drove to the short term lot!

I can't blame them.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #44
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Luna Park in Melbourne

Equally creepy!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #45
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Goofy4tink, my home resort is Kidani, but I have stayed at the Boardwalk and Beach Club quite a few times. I like them both, and I love the boardwalk area. But during our second week of our trip our large group did have a lot of fun creeping each other out with horror scenarios that could take place in the BWV.

We had to spend a lot of time in the lobby because wifi didn't really work during our two week stay. And I am telling you... I couldn't keep my eyes off those scary chairs every time I went to use my computer in the lobby.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: