Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
divawife
DIS Veteran

Smile AOA & Little Mermaid Distance?

Can't decide between POR Royal rooms or the new AOA Little Mermaid rooms. We don't want and don't need a suite just the room. We are going in Fe. 2013.

I know the Little Mermaid rooms are not open yet. But anyone who has been there or can really figure out maps and real distance can tell me how far away the Little Mermaid rooms are from the bus stops & food court please? We will not be driving and need the buses.

I know that the answer is only an estimate or ballpark educated guess but to me it looks so far, far away.

Please no opinions about how it doesn't matter how far away the rooms are because to me it does matter. I barely made it back to our ASMU preferred room from all the walking. So I am prepared that the Little Mermaid rooms are not preferred rooms and that they are further away but just how far away?

thank you kindly for any input you can give me
divawife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Ever been to Pop Century? It's as far away as the 80's and 90's are at Pop. Sorry I couldn't give you feet and inches but at least I didn't give you an opinion.
EpcotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Missytara
I'm all ears!

You can go on google and get a distance off the map. Then you can compare it to another resort that you have stayed at.

No one has really walked it yet, so there is no way of even beginning to answer your question. It is not even open.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
You can go on google and get a distance off the map. Then you can compare it to another resort that you have stayed at.

No one has really walked it yet, so there is no way of even beginning to answer your question. It is not even open.
Using Google maps you can see that those buildings are -- like a previous poster stated -- about as far away from the main hall as the 80's and 90's are across the lake at Pop Century.

I walked the grounds (as much as was open) last week at AoA and the layout is surprisingly similar to Pop Century except they have a more direct walkway to the main building from the Little Mermaid area down to the main hall.

The biggest thing to keep in mind, is that your room could be at the end of the far spoke of one of the buildings.. that will make it seem 'even further' than it actually is.

And as someone whose feet hurt like mad after a few days of traipsing around the parks, every last step to your room can feel like a million miles when your feet are tender and tired.

In this ridiculously oversized picture from GoogleMaps.. you can see Pop Century on the right and AofA on the left. The Little Mermaid rooms are off to the top on the left there.

Once I was in the furthest possible room in the 90's section at Pop and despite all my best mental coaching, I still felt like I was in the hinterland and quite a ways away from the main hall.. which was a real dilemma when I wanted to refill that refillable mug. I'd have the contents half gone on the walk back to the room! (Admittedly they don't hold much)

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
*Fantasia*
Nothing beats a nice clean-clear cold ice water!
I could google and google all day and compare.. but I want to hear from you guys of your experience

Wow!! Great picture!! Thanks Moderator!!
CSR~2x~ '04-'04--- POFQ 3x~ '03-'04-'05--- WL~2x~ '04-'05--- Poly 2x~ '04-04

Disney Wonder Dec 2004--- HRH~ '03--- RPH 3x~'04-'04-'05
Offsite~ '83-'91-'94-'00-'04
*Fantasia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

While no one can say for sure, until it opens, exactly how far it really is.....it looks to me like an identical layout to POP. If that's the case it will be about a 5 minute walk from the Mermaid rooms to the main hall.

OP.....I'm totally in your camp. I ONLY like to be right beside the main building and am willing to pay for that. I most likely will never stay at AoA because we don't need a suite and if I was willing to pay that much money I would stay at a deluxe resort. So the distance of the Mermaid rooms to the food court/bus area is a total deal breaker for me.

dancin Disney style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
divawife
DIS Veteran

Thank you to everyone who took time to answer. Special thank you to the Moderator for that amazing map!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
MinnieMommy07
Mouseketeer

Smile

I'm also in the same preferred room camp. I like the perfect amount of a walk. Not too close not too far. Close enough for getting things quick when I need them and far enough to enjoy the scenery. LM sections seem far.... but so did the Herbie section at ASMovies and we could walk from there to the lobby pretty quick. Like under three minutes.

If you're worried about your walk, though, rent something like an electric cart because if you go to the parks that's where the real walking,stopping, starting and standing is. The resorts aren't really the hard part.

P.S. I wouldn't worry to much about the op's sarcasm. Once I had a Minnie in a Witch costume around Halloween time for my DIS picture... and when I asked about things to do when it rains to avoid getting wet... that brought out the comedians... I'm sure they aren't truly saying it to hurt your feelings.. it's all in good fun!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
DisneyInDel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by divawife View Post
Can't decide between POR Royal rooms or the new AOA Little Mermaid rooms. We don't want and don't need a suite just the room. We are going in Fe. 2013.

I know the Little Mermaid rooms are not open yet. But anyone who has been there or can really figure out maps and real distance can tell me how far away the Little Mermaid rooms are from the bus stops & food court please? We will not be driving and need the buses.

I know that the answer is only an estimate or ballpark educated guess but to me it looks so far, far away.

Please no opinions about how it doesn't matter how far away the rooms are because to me it does matter. I barely made it back to our ASMU preferred room from all the walking. So I am prepared that the Little Mermaid rooms are not preferred rooms and that they are further away but just how far away?

thank you kindly for any input you can give me
Looks like quite a journey for sure...we stayed at Bldg. 7 in POP in September..a very WARM September..just 4 adults. DW and I are in our mid 50s and while the walk was longer than I would like, I really didn't struggle.

This November 11 of us..including our 3 Grandsons..are staying at AoA Little Mermaid rooms..we requested Blg 7 or 9. We changed our resort from POFQ after consulting with my 4 year old grandson..he made me an offer I couldn't refuse..and being the resort is so awesome looking..made my decision an easy one.

I will advise you this...if you think you will enjoy your trip less because of the walk, then you probably will...try POFQ. Either way, good luck and have a blast!!!!

I be
Old 06-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
jenlov
Mouseketeer

Also, this map will give you an idea where the buses are actually going in comparison to the google map.
jenlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
jenlov
Mouseketeer

Oops. here's the link
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/med...mation-map.pdf
Old 06-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
akayek31
DIS Veteran

I am worried about this too. When we stayed in the 80's at Pop a few yrs ago we walked through the parking lot to get to the buses. It looks like we can do the same at AoA. It cuts off a lot of time.

1985-Day trip, 7/08-offsite, 5/09 Pop Century, 2/11-Pop Century,9/11-Pop Century, 2/12-Pop Century, 10/12-Pop Century, 2/13-Pop Century, 2/14-Pop Century, 10/14-Pop Century

akayek31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by divawife View Post
Thank you to everyone who took time to answer. Special thank you to the Moderator for that amazing map!!!!!!
My pleasure.. The short walk around the open sections last week was pretty informative.

I'd guess that it's a 5 to 7 minute walk between the farthers Lil Mermaid Building and the Main Hall. A minute or two longer if you have a stroller or child under 5..

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
jenlov
Mouseketeer

And if you have 7 kids...probably a good 10 mn. yikes. starting to wonder if Mod is worth it, lol.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #15
divawife
DIS Veteran

I really think we should stick with POR Royal Rooms or...maybe go back to ASMU preferred we really enjoyed it there. But oh boy doesn't that AOA just call you to come see it, stay there and have fun there? Thanks again everyone. A good solid educated guess is always helpful when there is no absolute way of knowing an answer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: