Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #271
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
I totally agree.....and I am afraid we were one of the offenders....our son who is disabled always had a salad ready for him when we came to dinner....thank you to our servers.....and he would order...normally pizza...but sometimes he'd be adventuresome and order something else, and it often went to waste. And sometimes he thought he was still hungry after 2 pieces of pizza from the children's menus and his second order went to waste.

\A few times, I got adventuresome and ordered something I wouldn't normally eat, just to try it......it went back. And of course, I sent back anything that was cold whenit was supposed to be hot.....like several of my meals on the Wonder to Hawaii. Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes.

Just so you know food doesn't actually go to waste on a cruise ship they actually grind it up and when the ship is going over a certain speed a certain distance away from shore they can dump it out of a pipe behind the propellers as fish food.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #272
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
Just so you know food doesn't actually go to waste on a cruise ship they actually grind it up and when the ship is going over a certain speed a certain distance away from shore they can dump it out of a pipe behind the propellers as fish food.
A few years ago when we did the galley tour they said that this is not true.
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #273
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
A few years ago when we did the galley tour they said that this is not true.
I think I herd about that on a galley tour though I wonder if it depends on the length of the cruise what the rules are, For example with the 3,4, and 5 day ones they never get far enough from land where as the longer ones where they have sea day they often get pretty far from land so may be able to to do it.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #274
kcashner
DIS Veteran

That's funny. It was on a galley tour that I first heard about feeding the fish with ship's waste food.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #275
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
I think I herd about that on a galley tour though I wonder if it depends on the length of the cruise what the rules are, For example with the 3,4, and 5 day ones they never get far enough from land where as the longer ones where they have sea day they often get pretty far from land so may be able to to do it.
Well I did a google check and it seams like they can/do dump food and other waste out 3 mile from land I will remember this next time someone jumps all over me for snorkeling and feeding the fish dried out bread pieces.
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #276
bdoyledimou
Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in the 60's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
Well I did a google check and it seams like they can/do dump food and other waste out 3 mile from land I will remember this next time someone jumps all over me for snorkeling and feeding the fish dried out bread pieces.
As long as you do it 3 miles out -- no one will care
14th Trip with our Foster Kids!
bdoyledimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #277
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
On our first DCL cruise, a 4 day Bahamian, we had signed up for the Blackbeard Cay Stingray excursion.

The boat we took to get to Blackbeard Cay was shared by DCL families as well as people from the other ship that was docked that day, a Carnival cruise ship.

The ride there was fine. The ride back was nothing less than X-rated as two of the women from the Carnival group decided to take off their bathing suit tops and flash the Bahamian construction guys that were working on sites we cruised past to get back to the port. They were dancing around and whooping it up topless while their boyfriends/husband's looked on enjoying the show.

The fact that there were a ton of little kids around (my own two included) as well as some teenagers seemed to mean nothing to them. Perhaps this group was just a very bad example, but it left me with the thought that I would never take my kids on a Carnival cruise ever. Party Boat indeed!

I have been on two Carnival cruises and haven't seen a bare breast yet. The reputation is mostly myth.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #278
GoofyTwinDad
Mouseketeer

Just got off the magic yesterday. Overall was a wonderful trip. However, our evening at Palo had a little extra entertainment. We overheard the couple next to us complaining about the changes in the menu since the last time they cruised three years ago. They were upset that Palo no longer served minnestroni soup. They argued with the server and manager blaming the chef for the changes and got up after eating a plate of antipasto and left without ordering anything from the menu.

Our server stated he had worked for fourteen years aboard and had never experienced someone behave like that before.

Come to find out they changed servers every night for their dining rotation due to constant complaints.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #279
reimero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyTwinDad View Post
Just got off the magic yesterday. Overall was a wonderful trip. However, our evening at Palo had a little extra entertainment. We overheard the couple next to us complaining about the changes in the menu since the last time they cruised three years ago. They were upset that Palo no longer served minnestroni soup. They argued with the server and manager blaming the chef for the changes and got up after eating a plate of antipasto and left without ordering anything from the menu.

Our server stated he had worked for fourteen years aboard and had never experienced someone behave like that before.

Come to find out they changed servers every night for their dining rotation due to constant complaints.
There are some people I truly believe cannot be happy unless they're miserable.
reimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #280
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Recently on the Magic the ship was buzzed by a jet fighter (I don't know what kind...but think Top Gun).....it was a sea day and just relaxing on Deck 10....heard a tremendous noise and looked to the port side and saw the jet fighter level with Deck 10 and just a few yards away from the ship zooming by.....that was a first in 24 DCL cruises.
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #281
HFC1969
Grand Floridian Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Recently on the Magic the ship was buzzed by a jet fighter (I don't know what kind...but think Top Gun).....it was a sea day and just relaxing on Deck 10....heard a tremendous noise and looked to the port side and saw the jet fighter level with Deck 10 and just a few yards away from the ship zooming by.....that was a first in 24 DCL cruises.
As a pilot... I would have loved to see that...
Old 06-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #282
johnlatte
Mouseketeer

This wasn't on Disney but on NCL. Last April, they had to close and drain the pool due to a bio-accident of the brown kind. Sadly, we hadn't even cast off from Port Canaveral yet....

Last edited by johnlatte; 06-11-2012 at 03:41 PM.
johnlatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #283
kgoldenh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybeachprincess View Post
& saddened by how much food is wasted on cruises...
so true. we taught the kids early to take what you want but you must eat what you take. They did well but i was amazed at the number of full plates everywhere.
kgoldenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #284
WonderlandsMostWantd
Actively enhancing my muchness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillO View Post
We were on the Disney Wonder in December of 2008 when the gangway collapsed during a violent storm at the port. Luckily no one was crossing at the time. The remaining passengers had to be picked up at another location at the port.
Funny, we were on the cruise right after this one and subsequently were not able to board directly from the cruise terminal - we had to board down where you disembark for Castaway Cay (level 2 or 3 I think,) instead of up in the atrium. At the time, all we knew was that the gangway was broken. We didn't really know what that meant or what was supposed to happen.

I didn't know any better, so I remember thinking it was weird that A) we didn't enter through the big Mickey ears hallway (I figured it was a photo op thing instead of a functional thing?) and B) they'd bring everyone onto such a beautiful ship for the first time through such a bland, sterile enterance.

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to take another cruise to see how it's "suposed to" go.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #285
goofymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereina View Post
My family and I, along with my grandma and grandpa, went on our first cruise on the Wonder this past Feb/March. I'm known for talking and doing really odd things in my sleep, such as yelling for help while camping and thinking something is happening when it really isn't. It was our third night on the ship and we were all sleeping and I was dreaming (I can't remember what it was), but I found myself in the hallway and locked out of my room at 1:30AM! I was awake just enough to know that I was walking around, but couldn't do anything about it. Just as the door latched I thought, "Oh, darn! Why did I just do that?" So I went up to Guest Services and got a new KTTW card. Luckily, the guy there didn't ask any questions, but I wonder what he thought, since I was in my pajamas and all. lol! My family all got a good laugh about it when I told them in the morning.
My former boss tells a similar story of when he and his wife were on a cruise many years ago (not DCL). In the middle of the night, he had to go to the bathroom. In his half-asleep state, he mistook the door to the hallway with the door to the bathroom and accidentally went out it. He didn't realize what happened until he heard the click of the lock behind him. So he proceeds to pound on the door to wake up his wife. She wakes up and opens the door to find her husband out in the hall in his "tighty whities"! He said that she was really p*ssed at him wondering why he was coming home in just his underwear! That would be a tough one to explain. LOL.

DL: 1965 WDW offsite:1975,1979,1981,1995 WDW Poly: May 2003 WDW POFQ: April 2005 WDW Dolphin: Oct 2007
Magic (W): May 2004 Magic (W): Jan 2006 RCCL (E): June 2009 Fantasy (W): May 2012

goofymama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: