Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
Disneydreamer007
Earning My Ears

Red face Laura and joeys planning journal! Date tbd..need advice!

Hi all!
I have been a lurker for a while and I finally decided to post! I wanted to thank you all for your input before, it has been invaluable to me and my fiancé on our many trips. We have been engaged 2 years, friends for 10, been to Disney 4 times and are living together. We are in our mid twenties and live in staten island, ny.

A little backstory....I have had a strenuous relationship with my father for a while, he has not been there for me emotional, physically, etc (all the characteristics of a divorced father, but add in the confusion of him still living with my mother in the house I grew up in.. And disaster in adulthood)

Initially when I got engaged, he was thrilled, he told me to find a venue (local in nj) and essentially send him the bill. We are an Italian family and my grandmother believes it is his responsibility to pay for my wedding and her for my dress (she did, but she didn't have to, she is just generous and the best ever) I didn't expect any of this, and knowing him, strings are attached, but I hoped an occasion like my wedding would put that behind us...

My fiancé and I scouted locales, found a place, decided on a time frame, I bought a dress, and I thought everything was underway. Unfortunately, with my father very small things set him off and he tends to hold grudges for things that are generally out of my control, but that is neither here nor there, but the wedding was cancelled.

Anyway, our original date was November 2012. That wedding is not going to happen, he never even told me it was off, I had to assume it because his anger towards me as a person is so out of control that it is impossible to have real conversations with him... I digress.

My fiancé and I absolutely love Disney and would live there if we could (we might) and we are interested in either the memories collection or escape collection. I have done a bit of research on both, but the firsthand info is invaluable.

I am not sure on the date (maybe end of the year or jan 2013 value season)?) we have nothing set except the dress from kleinfeld which will sit in a bag until it is needed.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but I have very few people to talk about this with and I just want to plan my wedding for real this time. This forum seems so welcoming and warm and I am hoping fellow memories/escape brides are willing to share their experiences (prices included please, we are on. A budget)

It brings tears to my eyes to write this, I don't think I have ever actually written it on 'paper' before even though all our friends know the situation we are in and their responses are all the same - distance yourself from the bad, enjoy the good.

I hope it is not too much of an imposition, but please share your experiences, frustrations, costs, tiny details, everything about Disney memories or escape weddings that are not on disney's website, tiny details, dress shipping, accommodations, everything.. (we can't decide bc we don't know how many people are serious about traveling, but I'd appreciate any info)

I appreciate all your feedback and I thank you for listening to my ramblings

Laura
Disneydreamer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
tric8783
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you are making a good decision by getting married where you want with the people you want around you. I do believe things happen for a reason and will turn out for the best. I hope this is true for you! I had a wishes wedding (75) people so I can't help on escape or memories, but any other questions you have I'll be glad to chime in! I'm sure the other girls will come along soon. Come on over to our FB group too
Old 06-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Welcome!

The "Planning Our Happily Ever After" sub-board of this forum might be a great place for you to start. It is the place where you can start your own planning journal to solicit advice, as well as a great resource for other brides' and grooms' planning journals and trip reports. When we were first planning, we wanted an Escape event, so I read TONS of trip reports about Escape weddings on this board to learn all I could. Sooooo helpful!
lurkyloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, disneyworld, escape, memories, wedding

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: